The Crooked Knife
29 E. 30th Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
The Crooked Knife
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecrookedknife.com/
- Phone: (212) 696-2593
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Sat: 11am - 4am
Sunday: 11am - 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Gastro Pub, Contemporary European
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from The Crooked Knife
The Crooked Knife is a warm and inviting gastropub in Murray Hill. We welcome large groups and corporate events. Weekend brunch fills up early so be sure to make your reservation early.Continued
For Open Bar and Party Platter options, please email email@example.com.
For Open Bar and Party Platter options, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
The Crooked Knife - Best Restaurants in Murray Hill ›
The Crooked Knife reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (17)good for groups (16)neighborhood gem (11)fit for foodies (6)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (4)special occasion (3)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Endless mimosasfood4thoughtDined on 11/9/2014I went to The Crooked Knife with a group of 6 people. The drinks are great - the mimosas and bloody marys are not watered down. The food is good too although i recommend the restaurant to increase their hash brown serving. I literally had maybe 5-6 pieces of potatoes on my plate. I ordered from the brunch menu and got "The Mexican." The omlette was a good serving size and filling as well. The service was good! Overall, a good experience. My friends enjoyed the spot!Special Features:
- DisappointedGramercyGirlDined on 11/2/2014The noise level at brunch was annoying--music was blaring and everyone had to shout to be heard which only made the noise level worse. If they would turn off the really bad music it might have been better. Service was terrible--waitress never came back to ask if we wanted coffee or dessert. A simple brunch took 90 minutes because we were basically ignored. Food was nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly neighborhood eateryjaco55Dined on 10/28/2014Food is always good, service is attentive and accommodating, setting is comfortable with fireplace in cool weatherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice brunchBreakfastDined on 10/26/2014Had a nice time at brunch with my Mom. Nothing too special. Great service.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch at The Crooked KnifenipitinthebudDined on 10/19/2014My wife, daughters and I had a very good experience at The Crooked Knife; it was our third visit there. The food at Sunday brunch was excellent (omelets, pancakes); the bottomless mimosas and bloody marys are a great idea; the atmosphere is great (but very loud); and the service good (but not great). We'll return every year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We came for my husband's 40th. Great food-- and they didn't stop the drinks coming. Very accommodating with our reservation time and with a birthday cake that we brought for him. Really good time! Would definitely return anytime I need a good brunch fix!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boozy BrunchFoodie123Dined on 9/13/2014This has a good boozy brunch. I think it's $29 for an entree and two hours unlimited mimosas or bloody Mary's. The staff is good with the drinks (they'll just put a carafe on your table) and every time I've been there our food has arrived correct and steaming hot from the kitchen. It does however get VERY loud inside, but seems worth it to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem!DeniseDined on 9/13/2014The Crooked Knife is a great place for Brunch! Food was excellent, and unlimited mimosas for 2 hours is always a plus.Special Features:
- ReneeMBVIPDined on 9/10/2014I live in the city and have never been here before. Outdoor dining was o.k. view not so much, but what are you going to do? Love that the windows could be open on one side, however the garbage smell and cigarette smoke was not so nice. Food excellant and hostess(she was pregnant) was awesome! We had a great time! Need a german reisling on your wine menu please. With all the choices we probably won't make it back for a while, however if I lived or worked around there I would be there all the time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunchFoodieDined on 9/6/2014Brunch was ok. My only fault is I didn't know who was our server. Several times we went to the hostess for service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limitless brunch was...limitednathan917Dined on 8/24/2014I came in to this restaurant for brunch. In true NYC fashion everyone was running late, but this restaurant sat me and didn't make me wait on everyone. It's a rarity that restaurants do that but it was a definite perk. Our food arrived quickly and things were great. We opted for the limitless brunch that was $29. Unfortunately we got 2 refills on drinks and that was it. I'd go there for the food but not for a true NYC boozy brunch experience again.Special Features:
- The following 138 reviews are from the The Crooked Knife reviews archive.
- Usually great, but not this timeStephRoseDined on 7/27/2014I've been to The Crooked Knife many times and have always enjoyed it. However, my most recent experience was not so great. The food and drinks were good as always, but the service was terrible. The waitress was rude, she maybe came to our table twice in the 2 hours we were there. We had to constantly ask for refills on our unlimited mimosas and she took about 20 minutes to bring us the check and then another 10 minutes to bring our cards and receipts back. I'm hoping this was just a fluke, but next time I go back, I would prefer not to be in that waitress's sections again.Special Features:
- Brunch is great!FoodiegeekDined on 7/19/2014The mimosas were a lot stronger than I imagined and the waitress was on point by keeping my cup filled up... I enjoyed my time and the food was ok as we'll.. Def worth the moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch Spot!RadioClash30Dined on 7/12/2014There isn't much going on in this neighborhood on the weekends but The Crooked Knife is an awesome spot for brunch! Great food and the mimosas are unlimited for 2hrs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnfortunatejengVIPDined on 7/11/2014This place has one of the best menus around. Unfortunately the food was a huge miss and the service was poor. The chef needs to taste the food and decide how to season it better. We had the lobster ravioli (recommendation from our waiter) and it was probably one of the worst things I have eaten. Our dinner experience was nearly 2 hours, most of which the wait staff was huddled talking to each other instead of paying attention to customer needs. We went without drink for over half the time we were there.
- Decent and deliciousBaltimoreNPVIPDined on 7/2/2014But the service was a bit on the slow side even though the restaurant didn't seem all that busy at the time. I did enjoy the fish 'n chips (especially the chips !).Special Features:
- Birthday brunchCanuckiedudeDined on 6/21/2014Great birthday brunch with some of my buddies on the patio. Met some great people who coincidentally worked in the same Big 4 accounting firm as me. Brunch was unlimited mimosas or bloody marys and they kept feeding us drinks all afternoon. Smoked salmon benedict was cooked well too!Special Features:
- Epic FaillakeshoredriveVIPDined on 6/20/2014Don't even make a mistake and come to the restaurant. Keep walking down the street. Friday night dinner with friends should have been a relaxing and good experience but this place was a disaster. Either the kitchen burned down or all the cooks quit; but it took 2 hours from placing our dinner order to service. We were offered a round of drinks on the house which was nice, but at that time we were all starving. The food was below average- burgers were dry, salads were ok, lobster ravioli was horrendous. In conclusion, management needs to improve how the place operates. For such a prime location, and great potential, what an epic fail.
- Good but used to be greaterinmac22VIPDined on 5/31/2014This used to be one of my favorite low-key restaurants. It's super cozy in the wintertime with its fire places and homey décor. Semi-recently they've significantly pared down the menu and a lot of great dishes have been omitted. I don't know whether it's an effort to fancy up the place but I miss the old CK.
- EhlookingforbrunchVIPDined on 5/24/2014I was a huge sunburnt cow fan and after they closed down, I have been on the hunt for a new spot. Unfortunately this is not it. It was very quiet for an all you can drink place. There were families and kids at the next table which is strange for all you can drink spots. However, the food here was really good. Burgers were great. Not a crazy brunch spot at all but good if you are looking for a quieter time
- Straight up - nothing crooked here!MzBdDined on 5/21/2014What a find in midtown - a creative but not too "out there" menu, great food, unobtrusive service.... The perfect place for lunch! I would recommend this restaurant wholeheartedly. Looking forward to trying it for an evening meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2014Went with a group of girls for the bottomless brunch - had a great time; food was great; loved the decor. Service could have been a bit more courteous.Special Features:
- Neighborhood pub...allaboutfood57VIPDined on 5/15/2014I am not a pub fan as a rule. I met a friend I hadn't seen for some time. Really liked the atmosphere. We had a table by the window which was a perfect spot for conversation. The service was very good. Our server was attentive yet did not rush us. I was pleasantly surprized by the food. The Bangers and Mash was excellent. The prices are reasonable by NY standards. Overall a good experience. I would go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/14/2014Food was just average, service slow. Noise level bordering on annoying.
- Mid town fun spotScottDined on 4/29/2014Great spot! Very fun and some unique food choices, atmosphere is pretty loud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless it's notOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2014The food was so so the mimosas were more like orange juice and the 2 hrs I was here they only have us 1 other pitcher. It's good for the price I guessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A surprising gem in midtown eastNanMDined on 4/20/2014We meeting family for brunch coming in from the Hamptons on a pretty tight schedule. Wanted something close to the midtown tunnel....and since it was Easter Sunday, the choices were even more limited.... We were so happy to find The Crooked Knife...a little oasis on 30th street. The service was excellent, the decor inviting and our brunch was delicious. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placer for dinnerCristinaDined on 4/18/2014My girl friends and i were looking for a nice and not too expensive place to have some dinner and good drinks, we came accross the crooked knife with the open table app, went for dinner and the good was amazing! We ordered cocktails all night and the ambiente was very enjoyable. I highlight recomend this restaurant and will definitely go back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was delicious! TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/13/2014The food was delicious! They took a little while to get us seated, but it was worth it because they gave us an outdoor table.Special Features:
- Brunch is very NYCIamJavoneDined on 3/30/2014Ok, upon arrival, the hostess found my reservation and was ready to seat me, except my party had not arrived yet. But it was god to know the table was already ready. We were sat and tended to rather quickly. We ordered and were brought drinks in a timely fashion. The food came shortly thereafter. The only 'thing' is the noise level. It is pretty energetic. We felt ourselves talking above normal just to hear each other from across the table. But the ambiance is amazing. The wait staff is very attentive and the prices are A-freaking-mazing. The AYCD for 2 hours is $29 with any entrée, expect if you have the steak and eggs, add $5. Which is still quite awesome. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice casual restaurant/barmattDined on 3/28/2014Went to this restaurant two separate times after concerts in the area. Has good food and a nice laid back/kitschy atmosphere. The bar is connected and open-air, so the noise level is moderate-loud, especially since I was there late on a Friday night, but not uncomfortable at all. The service was very good and it was overall a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findPid76Dined on 3/27/2014I stumbled upon this place several months back and have made it a "go to" location when meeting clients for work. Have even added it to our evening list and have brought the family to dine. Will keep coming back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boozy Sunday BrunchCb1248Dined on 3/23/2014We did the bottomless brunch, were you choose an entree and get unlimited mimosas or bloody Mary's for $30 total (2 hours). Dissappointed coffee was not included in the deal, but was nice that the drinks were served in large carafes so you don't have to wait forever between refills. Lobster cakes were devine, partner had omelette which they were very disappointed with-not many add ins at all, only 2 cherry tomatoes diced in half. Overall would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ServiceFatChanceDined on 3/20/2014What's the point of making an online reservation and being stuck at a horrible table when the place is empty ?
- Great brunchMollyDined on 3/2/2014Excellent brunch, the staff was really great. They were a bit slow on the refills for the unlimited mimosas at first, but then they just brought us pitchers so it was fine then. It was a bit loud, but it is a small space with a big brunch crowd, so that is to be expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!J3n22Dined on 3/1/2014came here with a group of friends for brunch! food was great and the place had a great vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for brunchJanetDined on 2/16/2014Went for the 2 hour all you can drink mimosas/bloody marys brunch, and wasn't disappointed. The food, drinks and service were all great.Special Features:
- Excellent Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/12/2014The staff was overly accommodating, extending time for the unlimited brunch since we waited a a few extra minutes for our table. They also comped us a entire meal for our wait since the staff was clearly a but hectic which was so nice but unnecessary. The food was delicious and the mimosas were free flowingSpecial Features:
- awful service.brunchwiththegirlsDined on 1/12/2014the food is decent--standard brunch fare. the service is so slow and poor. we were a big group, but there were other big groups that ordered and got their food before we even got our coffee.Special Features:
- Not great.....actually reallyBunnyVIPDined on 1/12/2014Not great.....actually really bad! Service was awful and food marginal.