The Crimson Sparrow
746 Warren Street
Hudson, NY 12534Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Crimson Sparrow
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecrimsonsparrow.com/
- Phone: (518) 671-6565
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Benjamin Freemole and John McCarthy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: The Crimson Sparrow has a private dining area that can accommodate up to 10 people. The table in The Bakery is also semi-private and can accommodate up to 5 people comfortably. The entire restaurant facility may also be rented for private functions.
- Private Party Contact: John McCarthy 5186716565x
A word from The Crimson Sparrow
The Crimson Sparrow offers a daily tasting menu Thursday through Sunday evening. The restaurant opened in June, 2012 and serves contemporary American cuisine. Located in the historic Keystone Buildings on Warren Street, the restaurant provides a comfortable ambiance and includes a large outdoor patio that looks onto a windowed kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Crimson Sparrow - Best Restaurants in Hudson ›
The Crimson Sparrow reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (32)special occasion (26)romantic (24)great for outdoor dining (19)neighborhood gem (13)notable wine list (9)good for groups (6)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- FantasticroxandnateDined on 11/14/2014Wife and I had dinner here during a weekend getaway to Hudson. The food was creative, inventive, fresh, and oh so delicious. The beverage pairings were unusual and inspired. The interior was spare, clean and modern. Asian influenced but in a subtle way. Friendly and attentive waitstaff. Bar had a short cocktail list but the two we tried were very good and quite surprising. Fair prices for the creativity, ingredients and execution. The only disappointment was that they restaurant was advertised as partners of our hotel (The Barlow), which entitled us to a discount but the staff was apparently unaware of this arrangement and would not honor it. So, if you are staying at the Barlow and are advised of this, be cautioned and perhaps ask ahead of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening!!NYCFLVIPDined on 11/8/2014My friend and I had an amazing dinner at the Crimson Sparrow! Everything from the food to the service was top notch. I highly recommend it. I hope to come back when the weather is warmer to try out their beautiful patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly lovelyHudsonGramercyVIPDined on 10/24/2014In every visit to the Crimson Sparrow we have enjoyed gracious hospitality and delicious food and drinks. Friday's dinner with (perfect) wine pairings included a confit of carrots that we agreed was one of the best dishes we'd ever tasted!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Tasting MenuawgrbrDined on 10/11/2014Crimson Sparrow's tasting menu encompasses a wide range of preparations and tastes. From delicate to smokey, every dish was on the mark. Even if a course wasn't somebody's "cup of tea," everybody felt like the dish was an excellent use of the ingredients and flavors. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- FantasticTimothyRDined on 10/5/2014Tasting menu offers 3 courses, 2 options per course, plus an optional wine pairing or sake pairing. Stunning menu, reasonably priced ($45 per person, +$25 for wine or $30 for sake, wine by the glass priced ~$10-12/glass).Special Features:
- Sunday dinnerFood4thoughtDined on 9/28/2014Delicious Sunday evening tasting dinner with wine pairing. Sat inside and had the place to ourselves , the outdoor area had limited seating and was booked. Very attentive and knowledgable servers and the dinner was sublimeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TryingFoodyBuddyDined on 9/26/2014The chefs are trying hard to make it a foodie experience. The combinations in a course are wild and delicious with a fine eye for texture and umami. However, course by course was a decrescendo with a disappointing beef containing sinew and a cheese wedge with honey for a dessert. Come on now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstandingrussg4willardDined on 9/18/2014We've been to The Crimson Sparrow several times and we are never disappointed with any dish, the service or the atmosphere. The food is creatively prepared and beautifully presented by knowledgeable and friendly servers. Wine and sake pairings are always spot on and the house "specialty cocktails" are always superb. The Crimson Sparrow is a must do for any visitor to Hudson. Simply wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb dining at its bestBillNDined on 9/14/2014My wife & I had a memorable Sunday evening tasting dinner. There were 2 choices for each course so we were able to select all 6 presentations plus dessert. We also separately selected the wine pairing and the sake pairing for each course. Every aspect was wondeful. Professional and courteous service, environment, food quality and quantity.....each reflecting pride and service to the customer. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeNamdeploomDined on 9/13/2014Another fantastic meal here. Once again, the chefs did not duplicate anything we'd eaten here before. The rarest combination of super-high-end food and super-low pretension: they're artists, and TCS is a great restaurant, one of the best in America.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PretentiousLesm4Dined on 9/6/2014I know good food. I'm a member of the James Beard Foundation, and have dined in the best NYC restaurants including a recent trip to Per Se. The only dish that either I or my wife enjoyed was the amuse bouche (the first dish, on the house). The other dishes had strange combinations of ingredients which ultimately did not work for my or my wife's palate. They were disjointed combinations and often conflicted rather than complemented each other. Ultimately, it was a high priced disappointment. Next time I travel an hour to Hudson, it will be to eat at Fish and Game.Special Features:
- Amazing foodDotinhudsonDined on 8/24/2014My husband and I like to sit at the bar in the garden and watch (through a plate glass window) the chefs meticulaouly prepare each dish, in their spanking clean. beautifully equipped kitchen. This is some of the best food I've ever had. On sunday nights, there is a $45 prix fixe, with two choices per course. A huge bargain. Wine and/or saki pairings or reasonable as well.Special Features:
- Tasting menublufordDined on 8/23/2014As good as any I've had anywhere. Including San Francisco. $$$ but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014While we were less than satisifed at several spots in Hudson for dinner, the Crimson Sparrow left us in a remakable mood at the end of our journey. The food and wine pairing ($75 prix fixe, $55 accompanying wine courses) were remarkable. There was not a single uninteresting dish in the repertoire. The atmosphere is crisp, quiet, and the service impeccable. I cannot begin to say enough good things. Since the menu changes nightly, no need to talk about specific dishes. Let me just say that if you're considering a special dinner, this is the only place you should be going in Hudson.Special Features:
- skeetersaysVIPDined on 8/16/2014When we arrived we were seated at a table right next to another couple in an almost empty restaurant. Our waitress, sensing our displeasure, moved us to the first available table that was not right on top of another table. From then on our meal was quite nice. But until she did, we considered leaving. It simply doesn't make any sense to me to not provide your patrons with as much privacy as possible when the restaurant is not full.Special Features:
- Best Nouvelle Cuisine I've HadCopakeDinerDined on 8/16/2014This is a prix fixe nouvelle cuisine experience of the highest calibre. The complexity of the flavor palette is very high: every dish appears to be shockingly, impossibly contradictory...until you taste it. The result flavors that surprise and delight again and again; an evening of gastronomic sleight of hand in which the mystery of "how did they do that?" never ends. Service is amazing: warm and un-snooty. The tasting menu and the wine pairings (same story: you will be surprised and delighted at ever turn) come to $130 per person. Don't let that put you off. Get out your calendar and mark that anniversary, very special romantic date, or important celebration as an evening best spent at the CS. I promise that you won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant Outside NYCfischgrapeDined on 8/14/2014Oh my. I've worked in the restaurant biz for thirty years and teach at the CIA. Crimson Sparrow is one of the best dining experiences I've ever had. Part of the joy (beyond the incredible food and beverage quality) is relaxing into the menu choices that have been made for you. The set menu allows the chef to create a complete dining experience for the guest. And I *highly* recommend doing the beverage pairing as well. Unique products (wine, sake, spirits) in near-genius pairings with the food. It completes the picture being painted for you. This would cost double in a major city. If you are serious about dining, you *must* eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencejimloDined on 8/8/2014Unusual taste combinations! Pleasant, relaxed surroundings. Polite, attentive service. Excellent preparation and presentation. Our waitress was informed and answered our MANY questions politely and to the point. Overall a pleasant evening well worth the drive from Albany.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and graciouscolumbiavetDined on 8/7/2014My husband and I dined here for our anniversary and the evening was memorable. We started out eating on the beautiful, romantic patio with a view of the open kitchen, but it started to rain so we moved inside. The waitstaff were warm and welcoming and very knowledgeable. Though there is a fixed menu with option only for the main course and dessert, the kitchen was able to accommodate allergies and other food issues. Each course was complex, unusual, delicious, and beautifully presented and the evening was relaxed and extremely enjoyable. I look forward to a return visit.Special Features:
- Very special dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/2/2014We were incredulous that we were in Hudson NY. Unbelievably sophisticated dining experience, from gorgeous patio setting (we sat at the chef's viewing table and watched the activity in the incredible kitchen) to artful tasting menu. Inventive presentations and combinations - easy to believe these chefs are from WD-50. They do not try to woo you with easy and obvious flavors - this is for the adventurous eater who will appreciate truly unique food. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MtgirlDined on 7/31/2014Every morsel of food was packed with interesting and delicious flavors. The presentation was artful. The service attentive and the outdoor patio restful and conducive to full enjoyment.Special Features:
- The following 129 reviews are from the The Crimson Sparrow reviews archive.
- ExcellentRDC123Dined on 7/26/2014The Crimson Sparrow is a great place in Hudson for dinner. The degustation is well priced and really thoughtful. We sat outside which we loved, it was a beautiful night as well. The service was informed and friendly, very nice bunch. The owner and chef came out and had a chat with us, super friendly and passionate. Overall, one of the better dining experiences I have had in quite a while. Highly recommend it. They are doing great work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite ready for prime timeDianet123VIPDined on 7/19/2014The food was uneven, with 2 of the 7 courses memorable, 2 disappointing, 3 adequate. The service and the operations were unpolished. At $130 a person ($75 food, $55 wine pairing) it was overpriced. We wish them well, but won't be rushing back anytime soon.
- happyinhudsonhappyinhudsonDined on 7/19/2014magical food; amazing. not for the unadventurous in palate.Special Features:
- woofoosVIPDined on 7/13/2014Lovely space with a beautiful back garden, although we couldn't use it because of the rain. Pristine ingredients were presented in fresh ways, but the wine pairing was lack luster. Attentive service without being overbearing. Will definitely go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ExperiencemfmarsDined on 7/5/2014Everything about Crimson Sparrow speaks to excellence. The food is beautifully prepared with such attention to detail. The chefs do a brilliant job of showcasing the simplicity of incredible ingredients while creating flavor combinations that are remarkably unique! I have been here twice with my husband and have been literally blown away both times!Special Features:
- An absolute foodie de-light!!BjanemaDined on 6/20/2014Tasting menu par none--EVERYONE there was attentive, kind, knowledgable, and genuinely into the food served-- wine pairing is worth the money--and very uniquely devised- we are going back asapSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many highlights...NYUlawDined on 6/14/2014Overall, really good meal, creative presentations, and cool atmosphere/space. Everything on the tasting menu was great *except* for the entree; what bothered me more than that, though, was the fact that when a server came by to ask how we liked the entrees and I mentioned -- very politely -- that the fish seemed off (and it was obvious that I'd left most of it over), she acted as though I was incredibly rude for making that comment and said, defensively, that that was how the chef intended it to be. If you don't want feedback, don't ask for it!Special Features:
- Pric Fix one of my best meals ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/12/2014eight courses each better than the lats. mixture of flavors and texture was superb. Staff attentive and extremely knowledge.Special Features:
- Haute cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Was recommended to us by a friend back home in California. Very unique. It's good to be an adventurous eater. I am not but the vegetarian options were very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2014I reluctantly drove 1 1/2 hours for our first visit to the Crimson Sparrow. I will happily and unquestionably make a return trip distance or no. This is definitely a gourmet's delight and food wise perhaps the finest dining experience I can recall. My wife enjoyed the wine pairing which added that much more to a lovely evening. Each dish was unique, nicely spaced, well presented and consistently excellent. The waitresses were vey well informed and most helpful. Don't miss this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2014The tasting menu was wonderful...very unusual and beautifully presneted. Great service and very knowledgeable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely DeliciousRSewellDined on 5/2/2014My husband and I went on a Friday night in May and were one of the few couples there. I know from trying to get a reservation that many more people come on Saturday. Since we were one of the 8 tables at that time, we were able to relax and have a very luxurious meal. We did the wine pairing which was a good experience. It stretched me a little bit and that was a good thing. Every dish was delicious. The chef even sent out some surprise courses so our meal went from 7 to 10 courses. The servers were so kind and attentive. I would absolutely return and have already recommended the restaurant.Special Features:
- Jack's reviewJack2dineDined on 4/27/2014We dined on a Sunday evening and we chose to sit at the bar since we like it very much. We elected the prix fix menu and we were amazed at the quality of the food. Absolutely delicious, each course. We selected a wine pairing for the entree selection on the menu and we were not disappointed. Service was outstanding!Special Features:
- amazinghappyinhudsonDined on 4/25/2014if you like your meals to be aesthetic to the eye, diverse in textures, and pleasing to your taste buds, this is the place. Most importantly, not only do the individual dishes "work" they also all "work" together to make the meal an incredibly delicious experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feelingsjenesaisDined on 4/24/2014The foodie and I had walked in one day for brunch and been beyond impressed. The food, the service, the ambiance all first class and we had a terrific time. Naturally we had high hopes for our dinner reservation. But sadly, the food, service and ambiance were all disappointing. Yes, these are somewhat subjective so there is no point listing our specific comments. But these Hudson restaurants that don't open every day and only offer a set menu seem to us to be setting themselves up to fail. If you're not open when the customer wants to eat and do not serve what the customer feels like eating then you had better be doing something amazing. On this occasion the Crimson Sparrow did not. The only positive were excellent cocktails.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014Easter Sunday Brunch, delicious well prepared food. Only regret, did not have our favorite wine on the winelist.Special Features:
- Best brunch!PicklejaneVIPDined on 4/13/2014Wow this place was perfect. The fact that you can pick four options is just genius. The restaurant itself is in a gorgeous renovated building. The dining room is spacious and the service was perfect. I look forward to going back for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect BruncharlenebdmVIPDined on 4/6/2014Our brunch was outstanding. Every selection (you choose 4 for $16) was delicious; the French toast custardy, the pork belly crisp yet tender. The brunch menu is a clever way to be able to eat an assortment of complementary foods without breaking the bank or over eating. Service was attentive and friendly. We will definitely try dinner next visit.Special Features:
- Great great placeahilleltDined on 3/29/2014Really outstanding food, price appropriately for the area. We did a full tasting menu with wine pairing - it did not disappoint. While some dishes were more exciting than others, none disappointing. When there are exceptional dishes, those slightly less (still great) stand out more. This restaurant will evolve, the kitchen is in control, and I believe the type of patrons change with the season. I look forward to hearing news of this place receiving a much deserved spotlight - hopefully I can still grab a table then.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.