The Crimson Sparrow
746 Warren Street
Hudson, NY 12534Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Crimson Sparrow
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecrimsonsparrow.com/
- Phone: 5186716565x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Benjamin Freemole and John McCarthy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: The Crimson Sparrow has a private dining area that can accommodate up to 10 people. The table in The Bakery is also semi-private and can accommodate up to 5 people comfortably. The entire restaurant facility may also be rented for private functions.
- Private Party Contact: John McCarthy 5186716565x
A word from The Crimson Sparrow
The Crimson Sparrow offers a daily tasting menu Thursday through Sunday evening. The restaurant opened in June, 2012 and serves contemporary American cuisine. Located in the historic Keystone Buildings on Warren Street, the restaurant provides a comfortable ambiance and includes a large outdoor patio that looks onto a windowed kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Crimson Sparrow - Best Restaurants in Hudson ›
The Crimson Sparrow reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (29)great for outdoor dining (23)special occasion (22)romantic (20)neighborhood gem (13)notable wine list (11)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)good for groups (2)Show More
- Amazing foodDotinhudsonDined on 8/24/2014My husband and I like to sit at the bar in the garden and watch (through a plate glass window) the chefs meticulaouly prepare each dish, in their spanking clean. beautifully equipped kitchen. This is some of the best food I've ever had. On sunday nights, there is a $45 prix fixe, with two choices per course. A huge bargain. Wine and/or saki pairings or reasonable as well.Special Features:
- Tasting menublufordDined on 8/23/2014As good as any I've had anywhere. Including San Francisco. $$$ but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014While we were less than satisifed at several spots in Hudson for dinner, the Crimson Sparrow left us in a remakable mood at the end of our journey. The food and wine pairing ($75 prix fixe, $55 accompanying wine courses) were remarkable. There was not a single uninteresting dish in the repertoire. The atmosphere is crisp, quiet, and the service impeccable. I cannot begin to say enough good things. Since the menu changes nightly, no need to talk about specific dishes. Let me just say that if you're considering a special dinner, this is the only place you should be going in Hudson.Special Features:
- skeetersaysVIPDined on 8/16/2014When we arrived we were seated at a table right next to another couple in an almost empty restaurant. Our waitress, sensing our displeasure, moved us to the first available table that was not right on top of another table. From then on our meal was quite nice. But until she did, we considered leaving. It simply doesn't make any sense to me to not provide your patrons with as much privacy as possible when the restaurant is not full.Special Features:
- Best Nouvelle Cuisine I've HadCopakeDinerDined on 8/16/2014This is a prix fixe nouvelle cuisine experience of the highest calibre. The complexity of the flavor palette is very high: every dish appears to be shockingly, impossibly contradictory...until you taste it. The result flavors that surprise and delight again and again; an evening of gastronomic sleight of hand in which the mystery of "how did they do that?" never ends. Service is amazing: warm and un-snooty. The tasting menu and the wine pairings (same story: you will be surprised and delighted at ever turn) come to $130 per person. Don't let that put you off. Get out your calendar and mark that anniversary, very special romantic date, or important celebration as an evening best spent at the CS. I promise that you won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant Outside NYCfischgrapeDined on 8/14/2014Oh my. I've worked in the restaurant biz for thirty years and teach at the CIA. Crimson Sparrow is one of the best dining experiences I've ever had. Part of the joy (beyond the incredible food and beverage quality) is relaxing into the menu choices that have been made for you. The set menu allows the chef to create a complete dining experience for the guest. And I *highly* recommend doing the beverage pairing as well. Unique products (wine, sake, spirits) in near-genius pairings with the food. It completes the picture being painted for you. This would cost double in a major city. If you are serious about dining, you *must* eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencejimloDined on 8/8/2014Unusual taste combinations! Pleasant, relaxed surroundings. Polite, attentive service. Excellent preparation and presentation. Our waitress was informed and answered our MANY questions politely and to the point. Overall a pleasant evening well worth the drive from Albany.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and graciouscolumbiavetDined on 8/7/2014My husband and I dined here for our anniversary and the evening was memorable. We started out eating on the beautiful, romantic patio with a view of the open kitchen, but it started to rain so we moved inside. The waitstaff were warm and welcoming and very knowledgeable. Though there is a fixed menu with option only for the main course and dessert, the kitchen was able to accommodate allergies and other food issues. Each course was complex, unusual, delicious, and beautifully presented and the evening was relaxed and extremely enjoyable. I look forward to a return visit.Special Features:
- Very special dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/2/2014We were incredulous that we were in Hudson NY. Unbelievably sophisticated dining experience, from gorgeous patio setting (we sat at the chef's viewing table and watched the activity in the incredible kitchen) to artful tasting menu. Inventive presentations and combinations - easy to believe these chefs are from WD-50. They do not try to woo you with easy and obvious flavors - this is for the adventurous eater who will appreciate truly unique food. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MtgirlDined on 7/31/2014Every morsel of food was packed with interesting and delicious flavors. The presentation was artful. The service attentive and the outdoor patio restful and conducive to full enjoyment.Special Features:
- ExcellentRDC123Dined on 7/26/2014The Crimson Sparrow is a great place in Hudson for dinner. The degustation is well priced and really thoughtful. We sat outside which we loved, it was a beautiful night as well. The service was informed and friendly, very nice bunch. The owner and chef came out and had a chat with us, super friendly and passionate. Overall, one of the better dining experiences I have had in quite a while. Highly recommend it. They are doing great work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite ready for prime timeDianet123VIPDined on 7/19/2014The food was uneven, with 2 of the 7 courses memorable, 2 disappointing, 3 adequate. The service and the operations were unpolished. At $130 a person ($75 food, $55 wine pairing) it was overpriced. We wish them well, but won't be rushing back anytime soon.
- happyinhudsonhappyinhudsonDined on 7/19/2014magical food; amazing. not for the unadventurous in palate.Special Features:
- woofoosVIPDined on 7/13/2014Lovely space with a beautiful back garden, although we couldn't use it because of the rain. Pristine ingredients were presented in fresh ways, but the wine pairing was lack luster. Attentive service without being overbearing. Will definitely go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ExperiencemfmarsDined on 7/5/2014Everything about Crimson Sparrow speaks to excellence. The food is beautifully prepared with such attention to detail. The chefs do a brilliant job of showcasing the simplicity of incredible ingredients while creating flavor combinations that are remarkably unique! I have been here twice with my husband and have been literally blown away both times!Special Features:
- An absolute foodie de-light!!BjanemaDined on 6/20/2014Tasting menu par none--EVERYONE there was attentive, kind, knowledgable, and genuinely into the food served-- wine pairing is worth the money--and very uniquely devised- we are going back asapSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many highlights...NYUlawDined on 6/14/2014Overall, really good meal, creative presentations, and cool atmosphere/space. Everything on the tasting menu was great *except* for the entree; what bothered me more than that, though, was the fact that when a server came by to ask how we liked the entrees and I mentioned -- very politely -- that the fish seemed off (and it was obvious that I'd left most of it over), she acted as though I was incredibly rude for making that comment and said, defensively, that that was how the chef intended it to be. If you don't want feedback, don't ask for it!Special Features:
- Pric Fix one of my best meals ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/12/2014eight courses each better than the lats. mixture of flavors and texture was superb. Staff attentive and extremely knowledge.Special Features:
- Haute cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Was recommended to us by a friend back home in California. Very unique. It's good to be an adventurous eater. I am not but the vegetarian options were very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2014I reluctantly drove 1 1/2 hours for our first visit to the Crimson Sparrow. I will happily and unquestionably make a return trip distance or no. This is definitely a gourmet's delight and food wise perhaps the finest dining experience I can recall. My wife enjoyed the wine pairing which added that much more to a lovely evening. Each dish was unique, nicely spaced, well presented and consistently excellent. The waitresses were vey well informed and most helpful. Don't miss this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2014The tasting menu was wonderful...very unusual and beautifully presneted. Great service and very knowledgeable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 118 reviews are from the The Crimson Sparrow reviews archive.
- Absolutely DeliciousRSewellDined on 5/2/2014My husband and I went on a Friday night in May and were one of the few couples there. I know from trying to get a reservation that many more people come on Saturday. Since we were one of the 8 tables at that time, we were able to relax and have a very luxurious meal. We did the wine pairing which was a good experience. It stretched me a little bit and that was a good thing. Every dish was delicious. The chef even sent out some surprise courses so our meal went from 7 to 10 courses. The servers were so kind and attentive. I would absolutely return and have already recommended the restaurant.Special Features:
- Jack's reviewJack2dineDined on 4/27/2014We dined on a Sunday evening and we chose to sit at the bar since we like it very much. We elected the prix fix menu and we were amazed at the quality of the food. Absolutely delicious, each course. We selected a wine pairing for the entree selection on the menu and we were not disappointed. Service was outstanding!Special Features:
- amazinghappyinhudsonDined on 4/25/2014if you like your meals to be aesthetic to the eye, diverse in textures, and pleasing to your taste buds, this is the place. Most importantly, not only do the individual dishes "work" they also all "work" together to make the meal an incredibly delicious experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feelingsjenesaisDined on 4/24/2014The foodie and I had walked in one day for brunch and been beyond impressed. The food, the service, the ambiance all first class and we had a terrific time. Naturally we had high hopes for our dinner reservation. But sadly, the food, service and ambiance were all disappointing. Yes, these are somewhat subjective so there is no point listing our specific comments. But these Hudson restaurants that don't open every day and only offer a set menu seem to us to be setting themselves up to fail. If you're not open when the customer wants to eat and do not serve what the customer feels like eating then you had better be doing something amazing. On this occasion the Crimson Sparrow did not. The only positive were excellent cocktails.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014Easter Sunday Brunch, delicious well prepared food. Only regret, did not have our favorite wine on the winelist.Special Features:
- Best brunch!PicklejaneVIPDined on 4/13/2014Wow this place was perfect. The fact that you can pick four options is just genius. The restaurant itself is in a gorgeous renovated building. The dining room is spacious and the service was perfect. I look forward to going back for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/6/2014Our brunch was outstanding. Every selection (you choose 4 for $16) was delicious; the French toast custardy, the pork belly crisp yet tender. The brunch menu is a clever way to be able to eat an assortment of complementary foods without breaking the bank or over eating. Service was attentive and friendly. We will definitely try dinner next visit.Special Features:
- Great great placeahilleltDined on 3/29/2014Really outstanding food, price appropriately for the area. We did a full tasting menu with wine pairing - it did not disappoint. While some dishes were more exciting than others, none disappointing. When there are exceptional dishes, those slightly less (still great) stand out more. This restaurant will evolve, the kitchen is in control, and I believe the type of patrons change with the season. I look forward to hearing news of this place receiving a much deserved spotlight - hopefully I can still grab a table then.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing & InspiringA234Dined on 3/27/2014What a fabulous restaurant! This was our second visit and once again, it was absolutely splendid. The food was exquisite, beautifully balanced, imaginative, presented with wonderful care and spirit. A very special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/16/2014We went to Crimson Sparrow for brunch this past Sunday. We were seated at a quiet table in an alcove and the server was attentive and personable. The brunch menu consists of 13 items and you order any 4 for $16. Since there were four of us, we ordered one of everything and seconds of a few items which allowed us to taste everything on the menu. The food was pretty and delicious without being precious. We would definitely go back and perhaps try dinner - perhaps in nicer weather when we can sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at The SparrowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/16/20145 of us made reservations for brunch at 11:00. We were seated on time by a very congenial waiter, Tom. He gave us the menu and explained that we could choose 4 items. The first couple of choices were easy but then to make a choice of 2 more was difficult since they all sounded so good. Food arrived in a timely manner cooked to perfection. Each of us raved about the food. Portions were correct--not too much. Our brunch was so good that we are already making plans to return for dinner in the near future.Can't say enough good things about our experience at The Crimson Sparrow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fine Food in Hudson ValleyNamdeploomDined on 3/13/2014If you like multi-course meals with creativity in cooking equaled by delectability in eating, look no further. I've eaten the fare of a lot of good chefs: Charlie Trotter (RIP), David Bouley and Daniel Boulud included. These guys are, to my palate, as good if not better. I ate a spring onion last time I was there, a thing no bigger than a centimeter square, that may be the most delicious bite I've ever taken. And they always more than accommodate my vegetarian dining partner, so they're as good at pistachio or cauliflower steak as they are at duck and foie gras. The wine parings are pretty phenomenal, and the price of 6 to 8 courses along with the wine is less than it can cost you to park your car near "Daniel" on weekend evenings. Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crimson SparrowTerryDined on 3/8/2014First, Open Table only showed a 5:30 reservation available when we could have gotten in later without a problem. Had we not been flexible, we would not have gone. And that would have been a shame. We were the first diners of the evening due to the Open Table availability, and we're pleasantly greeted & seated in the "rough luxe" dining room. The place is beautiful. People should be aware that there is a tasting menu only with only a choice of two entres for one of the courses. They were able to accommodate my companions request for substitutions and all the dishes were delicious. Service was perfect. We will definitely return, but for a more special occasion.Special Features:
- Brunch ... perfectjenesaisDined on 3/2/2014It was only brunch on a quiet, cold Sunday morning but the whole experience was perfect. The food delicious and not pretentious. The waiter and staff charming, smart and efficient. The space itself a treat to enjoy. Obviously we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farther than you think youNan791Dined on 2/21/2014Farther than you think you will travel before finding the Crimson Sparrow. We finally found it by going our usual way, rather than accepting obscure routes to Warren Street, Hudson. Finding it is discovering a marvelous brick set of rooms for fine dining, with an informed waiter and an inspired chef. Our entrees and small plates combined seafood with Japanese and French accents. A scallop appetizer was the best treatment we've eaten for that luscious mollusk. Every moment is full of taste and patience; there is no urgency, and you and your dining partner can enjoy an ll-course introduction to unique flavor combinations. They rotate the menu every 3 weeks. We'll be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a night to rememberksw7573Dined on 2/21/2014It was our first time dining and we will be back. The service was awesome and the staff was knowledgeable about the food and pairings. I was a little nervous about some of the courses but I kept an open mind and they were incredible! We had an romantic date night with amazing food to match. Kudos to the chefs- we can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchkateDined on 2/16/2014The food was fantastic and the service as kind and accommodating as can be. Great vibe at this restaurant. My husband thought his foie gras was the best he has ever had -- even better than the foie gras at Jean Georges, which is saying a lot. He said it might have been the best dish he has ever had, period. I liked all of my dishes -- some were really fantastic and just a couple I thought could have been seasoned a little more, but overall a really great meal. The food was really creative and surprising, and everyone from the bartender to the waitstaff to the chef himself was so welcoming, it really made the night. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great job!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/16/2014We had a spectacular time. Food was great and the service was spot on. Thank you for such a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was great, but...FarouseDined on 2/7/2014We had a great dinner at Crimson Sparrow this weekend. Food was well presented and very well executed. Tasting menu was delicious! However when I made the reservation I did notify them that we are celebrating my fiance's birthday, also I did mention it to the person who called me to confirm the reservation. We made it clear when we were at dinner to our waitress that we are celebrating a birthday. We just wanted a candle on the dessert. It didn't happen! We will be back and dine there again. We loved it but it kinda felt not right at the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.