The Craftsman New American Tavern
267 N. El Camino Real
Encinitas, CA 92024Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
The Craftsman New American Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://craftsmantavern.com/
- Phone: 7604522000
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Thursday & Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 6:00pm
Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Anthony Felan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We have Live Music Sunday through Thursday night and Sunday morning for brunch
A word from The Craftsman New American Tavern
The Craftsman New American Tavern provides fine dining quality food in a tavern setting. We are focused on Hand Crafted Comfort. We are a farm to table restaurant that likes to use local farms to highlight beautiful flavors and that practice sustainable farming and organic foods whenever possible. Most of our 14 tap handles are provided from breweries right here in San Diego. Our wine list consists of boutique wines and small vineyards. We are a neighborhood restaurant that enjoys being part of a local community.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Craftsman New American Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (10)kid-friendly (9)fit for foodies (9)great for lunch (5)special occasion (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)good for groups (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- There's A Pig on the MenuSandBeeDined on 7/27/2014The title of this review is was our waitress' response when asked about vegetarian options. Not a good start. Bottom line, food was expensive but everything I tried needed salt and there was none on the table. Potato salad was awful. Beer recommendation was off also. Good restaurant concept and atmosphere but food was mediocre at best.
- Craftsman great foodSuzivontDined on 7/18/20142nd visit to this comfortable restaurant. Great food, daily features, attentive and accommodating wait staff. Good beer selection. Try the popcorn app, Brussels sprouts and the shrimp and grits. Top notch entrees and don't miss the butterscotch pudding for dessert-great to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great interesting foodTimmDined on 7/6/2014Comfort food with some surprises. WE love the food and staff is always friendly. We brought our 80 + yr old parents and they enjoyed it and didn't even comment on the music, Led Zep, Jimi Hendrix, etc. because the food was so good. My wife and I love the music along with the decor and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014Great for small groups. We saw families, couples, folks at the barSpecial Features:
- A new restaurant to tryjmemmaDined on 6/14/2014The restaurant that was at this location, was one of our favorites. The Craftsman definitely filled its shoes and then some. The food was fantastic! The kids' menu was great and the beer list was definitely noteworthy. We will return, hopefully to better service than this time. Our server was good and attentive at the beginning. He seemed to have forgotten about us, when he got a table of about 20 people. We had to request water 3 times and when he finally returned he filled everyone's glasses, but the one who requested to begin with. He messed up our dessert order and then had to eat melted ice cream (which the kids didn't seem to mind). Everyone was friendly and the prices were reasonable.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014Always a good experience....and very kid friendly....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic value, delicious lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/10/2014Have been meaning to try Craftsman (fan of the chef's other restaurants) and finally tried for lunch. They have one of the best lunch deals for a top restaurant in the county and should be more full! For $9, I got a delicious copious Wade Hagemann salad, plus a very large flatbread made from great tomato sauce, mozza and with a good crust. For $5 I added on a bowl of his famous sweet corn soup. It was a three-course feast for $14 -many mediocre "business lunch" places charge that much for a measly sandwich at lunch. It's a much better deal than his Blue Ribbon Artisan too, and much more spacious. I will happily returnSpecial Features:
- The following 51 reviews are from the The Craftsman New American Tavern reviews archive.
- Wonderful Brunch!IbeuDined on 5/25/2014This was the first time going to the Craftsman New American Tavern. There were only two of us and we both had the Encinitas Omelet. If was one of the best omelets that we have ever had. It was filled with spinach, bacon, goat cheese and cherry tomatoes. The omelet was just the right amount, we were both able to finish it. The potatoes were wonderful and it was also served with great apple wood bacon, which is the best bacon on earth. The Bloody Mary bar was real fun. I highly recommend The craftsman New American Tavern.Special Features:
- Raw ChickenChrisKDined on 5/11/2014This was my first visit to Craftman. I decided to take my wife and family for Mother's Day Brunch. The service was good and they seated us quickly. The food overall was okay and the chicken and waffle came out with raw chicken. For that reason, I can't recommend this place.Special Features:
- was a good night outjeanineDined on 5/10/2014I wanted to give this palce a 5 - i liked everything abput it, but the ribs were a bit overcooked & a friend got the steak which was small & only came with 1 small side (he left hungry) on the other hand - the duck fries were amazing & the pudding was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always solidOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014My two young daughters and I went on a night out. I can always count on solid, healthful, well prepared food options and again, we were not disappointed. We ordered off the "adult" menu only and split several things for all of us to share. The staff was courteous and accommodating of a couple special requests we had and the three of us enjoyed our night out immensely.Special Features:
- TWO worrds: Wine and DessertOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2014The Wine and the Salted Carmel pudding keep me coming back... the food is not bad. The ambiance is great. The bar staff top notch... They could use a little charm, maybe some live music or some new additions to the menu?? I don't know exactly what it is but they are missing something.Special Features:
- Great local find1breakfastloverDined on 4/26/2014Not surprised by our great experience at The Craftsman since we're big Blue Ribbon fans. I thought there might be too much of a meat influence but the menu is balanced. We shared amazing shrimp and grits, a caesar salad and chicken (served with broccolini and mac & cheese - yum). Generous portions. Great service. Go after 7:30 if you want to avoid the throng of kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good burgersphilsbVIPDined on 4/14/2014Burger and beer early beer for $15 is a good deal and the burgers are very good but a little thin. The chicken w Mac just so-so. Fries are good but don't seem to be home made. Overall good for a local tavern but something we would not go out our way for.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant & CreativetuckyspalVIPDined on 4/8/2014What can you say about a chef who is so clever he takes something like the good ole American corn dog on a stick and replaces the hot dog with a huge piece of shrimp? Then instead of mustard you get remoulade sauce? I call it genius--and delicious. Every dish we tried from the appetizer offering was like that: reminiscent of an old American classic, but made so much better with ethnic flavorings and little culinary twists. We can't wait to go back to try their BBQ meats. Oh, and the best part is they use organic when possible, are a sustainable biz and buy from locals. Restaurants don't get any better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedThatgirl858VIPDined on 3/29/2014Since I don't eat any pork I had my doubts, but I was pleasantly surprised. Nice variety on the menu. Delicious scallops, risotto and salmon to choose from. The black seed popcorn is a must. Service was a bit slow. How long does it take to "make" a beer? Our servers kindness made up for it. Would go back with friends for a fun night out.Special Features:
- Fabulous Food but Noisy!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2014The food at Craftsman never disappoints. The Brussels Sprouts appetizer with capers and bacon is the best thing on the menu; perfectly roasted with a "nutty" flavor. Roasted beet salad with goat cheese had both red and golden beets with the perfect amount of dressing. Seared scallops on zucchini cakes were sweet and delicious. The BBQ chicken had a nice smoky flavor, accompanied by mac-and-cheese, slaw and fabulous baked beans. Duck Fat fries are a great indulgence! And don't forget to order the salted caramel butterscotch pudding for dessert, the perfect ending to a near-perfect meal. Just wish the acoustics were better as it was difficult to talk with our friends at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left wanting moreKutchMeisterDined on 3/21/2014Hostess seated us promptly. Because we didn't know what type of drink to order before the waiter came, we were left unattended for 15 minutes until he returned. The interior is really cool but this place has lots of hard surfaces so the noise level is very loud forcing people to speak up and rather loud. We had to put up with other peoples vulgar language and stupid conversation. Not a romantic place, more of a bar vibe. Good food, brisket was overdone and the ribs were average. Wife had scallops which were delicious. Had an old fashion, very good. There was a drink my wife had that should be re-invented, not good. Overall, good place to eat. Probably not return for dinner, maybe for drinks at the bar. Service could be friendlier.Special Features:
- Refreshing ChangeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/19/2014My wife and I have given the Craftsman three visits; each time better than the last. The revolving main entrees is refreshing. Hint: call ahead and find out what the special is as the quantity is limited; if you like the special order it ahead of time! As for the bar selection, it is vast and the bartenders are good. Place is clean, family oriented, great for dinner or just drinks and appetizers. Craftsman makes a great first impression. Enjoy it soon; then again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place has amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2014This place has amazing food and a great beer and wine list. The food is locally sourced and made fresh everyday, which makes it all that much better! I love the decor and how they bring in a bit of the southern style food with the california heathly aspect. I've been here twice for dinner and once for brunch and each time I leave very happy and full. This is my favorite restaurant to frequent for date night, girls night or just for any ol' reason. Definitely worth checking out!Special Features:
- American Comfort FoodGood2eatoutDined on 2/16/2014We appreciate the chef's take on American comfort food. By and large the food is excellent - delicious brussels sprouts, beet salad, pork, burgers, biscuit, fries, beans, salmon, and butterscotch pudding! There are three areas needing improvement: first and foremost better training of new staff; the mac and cheese is simply not cheesy nor creamy enough for mac and cheese; and, do not have a single weekly specials if you are going to run out by 7:15 pm! This is the second time to taste the fried chicken which clearly is popular enough that both nights we were informed we were too late - very disappointing.Special Features:
- stinkyBellaqDined on 2/15/2014We sat next to a table that ordered the salmon spread. Now, I LOVE salmon, but I have to tell you this smelled horrible- well, actually it smelled like really stinky tuna from a can. it wafted onto our table and lingered throughout the meal. The BBQ includes an overwhelming number of sides- most with barely enough for more than a taste, but the thing with sides, is that one often doesn't like ALL of the sides, so just getting a taste of the ones you like with lots of ones you don't is just a bad waste of food. We ordered onion rings both as a substitute for the fries and a separate order for another guest. The substitute never arrived and the second order was forgotten and delivered about 15 minutes later, everyone else was done
- Hits the spotJohnuVIPDined on 2/14/2014For a unique dish or a delicious cocktail this has become our favorite spot.Special Features:
- Love the Craftsman!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/7/2014The Craftsman is a great spot. Constantly changing well thought out menu without the stuffiness of a lot of north county restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stick to Blue Ribbon Pizza...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/1/2014As you walk in the door, the restaurant was very active and lively - hence the energetic noise level but it went downhill from there. The server (no first name: P.M. per the receipt) greeted us with zero enthusiasm and made us question her desire to be working there or feel guilty for coming and sitting in her section. I ordered the ribs and chicken and she had the scallops. My BBQ was average at best (go to Phil's) and for the scallops, there were only three and rubbery. It pains me to write this review given our high hopes after Blue Ribbon (their sister restaurant), but I would not recommend. Spend your hard earned money elsewhere...if only Blue Ribbon were on Opentable.
- I was sorely disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/24/2014I was sorely disappointed that the menu was cropped so short during restaurant week. I 100% understand WHY this is a smart business decision, but we drove 45 minutes to come eat off the regular menu for my birthday dinner. Restaurant week menus rarely highlight the oddities of a kitchen, which is why we go out- the awesome weird stuff. The full menu should have been pulled from your website, with a restaurant week menu posted instead, especially when you are pulling 2/3 of the available options and BBQ. RW menu wasn't on the website at all, and the RW homepage wasn't loading menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First tryerHolmtelDined on 1/23/2014First time there for Restaurant week and would definitely return. Want to try cask tapping night. The food was very good and loved the combinations of food on each item. We ended up with one restaurant menu and then one of us off the other menu to share. It was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Restaurant Week ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/22/2014Our first experience was restaurant week and I'll definitely be back. I loved the reasonably priced wine and beer pairing options as well. My only criticism was that both an appetizer and an entree option had fried eggs on top. I'm not giving 5 stars because my food was a tad on the cold side, but it was very tasty. The salted caramel butterscotch pudding was definitely a hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week 2014IeatfoodDined on 1/19/2014Came in with 4 adults and 3 kids. We had the duck and short ribs, all excellent, particularly the polenta served with the duck. Good flavors, perfect technique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you want something a little diffKim5252Dined on 1/19/2014This was our 2nd trip to the Craftsman. I love the atmosphere and the fact that it is family friendly but also good for dates. The food offers some unique dishes, which I love. I was a little disappointed in the Restaurant Week entree choices, so I ordered a la carte instead and LOVED the scallops-Wow! I shared the Butterscotch pudding with Sea Salt & Caramel sauce with my husband, and it was AMAZING!Special Features:
- The portions were smallishCliffordleeDined on 1/4/2014The portions were smallish but the food was very, very good. The restaurant had lots of character.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort foodErinDined on 1/2/2014Great comfort food menu. Kid friendly. Beautiful place to have a meal with your honey or your fam. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday NightsMcMittDined on 12/29/2013The fried chicken on Sunday nights is the real star of this restaurant. While the service is fair, the food and the music make Sunday nights a "can't miss".Special Features:
- Need more Gems like this in N CtyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/13/2013I didn't like it the first time we went; had some lamb cut that was just horrible but we've tried again and enjoyed it every time since. Went Friday night and it was busy but somehow all that just made it warm and inviting and the ambiance was lively and terrific. Waitress was great. My husband thought the bbq was decent(we're spoiled, go to Phil's occasionally) and I had the tomato fondue risotto which was shockingly good. I think they hit a nice balance between foodie/fancy/comfort food. It's becoming a stand-by for us.Special Features:
- Menu needs some work and moreCarlsbadCAVIPDined on 12/7/2013Menu needs some work and more heart healthy entrees and greater selecion of salads. For meateaters, it's a great find but as the shift toward healthy greens, vegetables, fish, multigrain breads gain momentum, Craftsman is slow to the table. The only bread they serve sandwiches on is white bread!! I had the spinach salad with a side of tuna, which was very good. But it was the only item on the lunch menu that was an option for me. They also need to adjust their HVAC. Cold air was blowing on us during lunch and was on a a cold, wet Saturday at 1:30PM. Hopefully this review will get them thinking. I'd like to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beer and dinner for 2TarynVIPDined on 11/9/2013My husband and I really enjoyed our meal. He had the prime rib and I had the BBQ plate. We also had some very tasty duck fries. Sooo coming back! The beer selection was extensive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New American TavernJuliebDined on 10/5/2013We had an amazing experience, the food duck confit, mixed green salad, burger, popcorn, duck fat fries and apple pie were all delicious. Love that you can make reservations and get right in! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Excellent meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/24/2013We dined at The Craftsman New American Tavern during Restaurant Week; a delightful experience. The corn chowder, fried chicken, scallops and desserts were all very good. The corn chowder was creamy and a bit sweet, very good on the palette. The chicken and scallops were moist and well seasoned, the scallops creatively served on small zucchini cakes. The desserts--butterscotch pudding and s'mores in a jar were both amazing. The service was excellent. Easy to find, easy parking. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food, drinks, and serviceKathyVIPDined on 9/24/2013The food, drinks, and service were very good. We were a party of six during restaurant week. The only complaint I have is that two people in our party ordered hush puppies; and one guest didn't like them and told the server that they were over-cooked. I think he should have offered the guest another appetizer, but the server (Troy?) said they were cooked the way they were supposed to be cooked. Other than that, our server was great.Special Features:
- Needs improvementMikeFDined on 9/23/2013Fell far short of expectations given our experience with their first restaurant, Blue Ribbon. The service was spotty, food was poorly prepared and presented, ambience more like a bar than an upscale comfort food restaurant. We had a number of dishes that should never have been served, either overcooked or undercooked, and lack of care in overall presentation and service levels. I would not recommend this restaurant and hope that they will take necessary steps to significantly enhance the overall experience to the level of expectations that they have set for themselves and their customers. I do not think they can charge the prices they are asking for and be able to continue to operate unless a major overhaul is undertaken.