The Cottage Wellesley
190 Linden Street
Wellesley, MA 02482Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Cottage Wellesley
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cottagewellesley.com/
- Phone: 7812391100x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday & Ssaturday: 11:30am - 10:30pm, Sunday 9:00am - 9:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alex DeCarli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Seating for up to 28
- Private Party Contact: Tom Rielly x
A word from The Cottage Wellesley
The Cottage Wellesley has it’s origin in two different lifestyles. John grew up surfing the beaches of Southern California. Laura grew up in Wellesley and is the third generation in her family to have a business in town. Our decor, service and food reflect the casualness and familiarity of So Calif and the sophistication and warmth of New England. Please take a moment to say hello on your next visit. Welcome to the Cottage! — John + LauraContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Cottage Wellesley - Best Restaurants in Wellesley ›
The Cottage Wellesley reviews from OpenTable diners
209 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (102)great for lunch (97)great for brunch (76)good for groups (62)kid-friendly (60)fit for foodies (48)special occasion (43)great for outdoor dining (32)hot spot (21)romantic (13)notable wine list (11)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)scenic view (4)Show More
- Great FoodSherieDined on 8/18/2014The food was amazing but our server didnt really know the menu and could not offer suggestions on food or wine.Special Features:
- Great food, tactless waiterLizzieDined on 8/17/2014I loved the restaurant. It was absolutely gorgeous. My eggs benedict was great. But, I was disappointed in two things. First, in Wellesley you cannot even get a mimosa/bloody Mary before noon. It would have been helpful if the restaurant menu online said this. I would have pushed back our reservation because, in my opinion, it isn't brunch without a mimosa! The second issue had to do with the waitstaff. When I signed up online to get the Cottage email newsletter, I got this great gift of a coupon for 20% off. I was really excited. However, since we were hosting another couple, I was surprised when the waiter loudly announced to everyone in the party..."oh, and I took your 20% off because you used the coupon!". Not cool!Special Features:
- Great Ambiance, Average FoodSusieQDined on 8/16/2014We were really looking forward to a special meal with great ambiance. The ambiance was great with nice tables and heated outdoor seating. However, the food was bland and lacked imagination in its preparation. The salmon in particular was flavorless and tiny in portion (roughly 2oz!) Had a nice time with friends but wished I didn't use up my daily caloric intake on that food.Special Features:
- DisappointedZazeDined on 8/16/2014We enjoyed the ambience at The Cottage, and the bar area looked fun, but the food was very mediocre. The calamari was soggy, the quality of the ahi and duck was sub-par. The presentation was nice but the food wasn't worth it. We may go back for a drink, but we won't eat here again.
- Great food but small mishap!JLWCVIPDined on 8/16/2014Traveling to natick and found this great spot. The food was amazing. We told the hostess we had a reservation and please check us in on open table. They did not! And now open table says we did not honor our reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrammyDined on 8/15/2014Good place to meet up with friends. Nice wine list and good food choices. Only suggestion would be: less sauce on the dishes. Can be too rich and heavy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Great but Service Only FairContentedDined on 8/13/2014Our party of six was very pleased with the food, especially the eggplant fries. The only drawback was that the service was spotty and slow. There didn't seem to be a reason for the service issues since it was a Wednesday night so the place was not overly packed. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Good meal, but very noisyflowerladyDined on 8/11/2014My husband and I enjoyed our scallop dinners, which were artfully presented. The portions were just right -- we were satisfied, but did not take home leftovers. The scallops were tender, the chanterelle mushrooms were awesome, the potatoes, spring peas, and baby carrots were also very good. Unfortunately, the noise level reduced our level of enjoyment, making another visit unlikely.Special Features:
- Good food but noisyEllenVIPDined on 8/9/2014Excellent food and service on the patio. I do not go to The Cottage unless I can get outdoor seating as the dining room is extremely noisy. The patio is relaxing and quiet enough for conversation. Wish the owner would find a solution to the noise problem and we would return often.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingGerdaDined on 8/9/2014We had higher hopes of this restaurant -- the menu looked like it would have excellent fresh fare. Instead we received large portions of mid-range execution. The bartenders hustled. The woman bartender was fabulous at customer service, speed, and pour. The salads were terrific. My chicken piccata was chicken lumps with artichoke heats bathed in olive oil. No delicate lemon sauce. Few capers. No attention to the thinness or the quality of the meat. My partner's steak frites featured tough beef hacked in chunks sided by standard rough cut fries. Little seasoning or finesse. Desert was unimaginative and poorly done. Mostly sugar and fat. Waitress' timing bad. Many diners lacked basic table manners. Overall, not a gastronomic success.
- JuniorDined on 8/7/2014the food was very good, I enjoyed the meal, the waiter was nice and friendly but not on his game at least that night. Two or three times we asked for bread and never received it at all, (even the table next to us offered to share their bread) he also forgot our drinks and we had to remind him twice. The receptionist was exceptional, we were meeting from different places and the traffic was awful, telephone and told them and waiting for arrival we were nearly 45 minlate and they were wonderful, seating us immediately. I would certainly return for dinner and or lunch.Special Features:
- Excellent Dinner!FoodieWannaBeDined on 8/5/2014The food was flavorful! The waitress was knowledgeable and very pleasant! An excellent venue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/2/2014The cottage is always good. Service is wonderful, drinks are amazing and the food is consistently good. I always know i am getting a good meal here.Special Features:
- Food was very good but slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Came to The Cottage to celebrate a friends birthday. The food was very good. Eggplant fries, Steak Frites, Mahi Tacos, Nachos, and Glazed Salmon. Everyone in the party was satisfied with their meals. The Nachos and Eggplant fries were hits. The only downside was the service was very slow for a Wednesday night. Arrived and ordered drinks at 6:30. Decided to skip the dessert and check arrived at 9pm.Special Features:
- Great BrunchMedfieldResidentDined on 7/27/2014Delicious heart of palms salad with shrimp and lump crab--perfect for brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Eatseatwell2dayDined on 7/26/2014We have dined at The Cottage frequently and have found the menu interesting, the food very good, prices are not too high and we especially like that we can make a reservation, which is not possible at many good restaurants. The wait staff is generally outstanding. My only complain is at times the front desk/reception is not very attentive to the waiting guests. At one point we had a reservation and were told there would be a short wait. Not only did we wait a long time, they completely forgot about us until we asked again about being seated and we ended up waiting about an hour while walk-ins were seated ahead of us. That was rather irritating. All in all we enjoy dining there as it is a local spot with good food and close to home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeasideReinaldoDined on 7/26/2014This place has the look and feel of a seaside cottage. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night Staplemd7716VIPDined on 7/21/2014Another can't miss meal at the Cottage. The food, the drink, the service and the atmosphere is dialed-in. We'll keep coming back.
- Too Longaea232Dined on 7/19/2014My friend and I were seated right away upon checking in. Our waiter was at our table within minutes and took our drink order. However, it took about 10 minutes until we got our drinks. We then ordered. Our waiter asked us if we wanted bread, of which it took another 10 minutes to get. Lack of efficiency was a pattern throughout the evening as it took us an hour to get our food. We both ordered the exact same thing- sweet potato crusted cod. The fish was slightly undercooked, there were 4 pieces of steamed asparagus, and 4 roasted measly potato slices. The restaurant was crowded, but we saw larger parties who were seated after us get their food well in advance. I could only take so many drink refills!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, though hoping for brunchFoodisLoveDined on 7/19/2014I ate here on a Saturday afternoon. The ambiance is great and since we came right when they opened we had plenty of tables to choose from. While our food was good, I was disappointed to find that they do not serve their brunch menu on Saturdays (which is not apparent from their website). I overheard other people buying bloody marys and mimosas, so I don't think we were the only ones in a brunch mood.Special Features:
- Dinner at The CottageOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2014I requested a table outside on the patio and that's what we got. The service was excellent - an extremely nice waiter, not too attentive but most helpful and pleasant. I wish I could remember his name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpeted food find in WellesleynewenglandtravelerDined on 7/18/2014After viewing the "READ MY PINS" exhibit at Wellesley College, we went to THE COTTAGE at 190 Linden Street. My friend had enjoyed lunch at the Chestnut Hill location for THE COTTAGE and highly recommended we try the original in Wellesley. We were not disappointed in any way. Bright, cheerful dining room, attentive wait staff and great summer food choices made the dining experience at THE COTTAGE a great ending to a wonderful summer afternoon. The location is near the WELLESLEY SQUARE MBTA train stop with an enjoyable 10 minute walk to THE COTTAGE. Because the restaurant is located on the Linden Street side of a shopping plaza, there is plenty of off street parking to be had. We will return again to this great "food find" in Wellesley.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceSailorBob43Dined on 7/13/2014The four of us had an excellent lunch on an early Sunday afternoon. The crab cakes were very good, omelet more than generous, and chicken salad good as ever. The server was fantastic - cheerful, energetic, and very graciousSpecial Features:
- Lovely BrunchBrunchBuddyDined on 7/13/2014The Oatmeal Pancakes (stuffed with choice of blueberries or bananas) and Crab-cake Benedict are absolutely fabulous! Always a lovely place to enjoy brunch. There is an outdoor seating area, but I'm not keen on eating outside listening to traffic on a busy street.Special Features:
- Very cozy environmentKMark1Dined on 7/12/2014The overall experience was good. I wouldn't say great because the service could've been a little better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kid-Friendly Friday Night DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014My husband and I had a very nice meal with our 7 month old daughter and my in-laws. The menu has something for everyone. I had the steak frites which was great. I also had a couple of bites of my husband's warm goat cheese salad which was good as well. They were several families dining with their kids on a Friday evening which encourages me to come back with my daughter. I only wish the server came by so I could have ordered a 2nd glass of wine. Oh well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/8/2014It's unfortunate this restaurant is declining in quality. Their food used to be much better. I will not be going back any soon. It used to be one of our favorite in the area. We will go back May be in a year.
- Gluten Free DelightsollyDined on 7/8/2014Very responsive to gluten free requirement with a special full course menu. Able to order anything an d assured it is prepared gluten freeSpecial Features:
- Lovely LunchLivetoEatDined on 7/6/2014We had a lovely lunch in the light-filled dining area. Service was attentive--they even responded graciously to my request to turn the air conditioning down. Food was beautifully presented and generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable for meeting a friendjanecanquiltDined on 7/1/2014The menu and the service were just right for getting together with a friend on a hot summer evening. The lobster Cobb salad was a perfect choice and an excellent value.Special Features:
- Food was so-soJeanneVIPDined on 6/28/2014We've been to this restaurant several times, and always pleased. However, the food was only so-so this past Saturday evening, so we were a bit disappointed.Special Features:
- AverageVIPDined on 6/28/2014The Cottage has consistently good food. My favorite is the goat cheese chicken salad with walnuts.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014We think eating at The Cottage is a delightful experience. The food is consistently tasty and the service is always personable and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodsskuDined on 6/27/2014Excellent soup and salad. the appetizers were generous sized portions. good service.Special Features:
- Food good-getting skimpier for $LymesmeDined on 6/26/2014I've always loved the cottage's fresh food + atmosphere and that it is not a chain. Over the years their small, but noticed changes are putting the cottage further down on my list. First they changed their fantastic bread to their now standard generic rolls, then their prices increased, the portions decreased, and now the quality of their dishes are slowly declining. My lunch entree 'chopped' salad was a large handful of tired greens- had so little cheese I didn't even know it was there, 2 spears of asparagus (one of the highlighted veggies) and not too much more to offset the inflated price tag. I got it 'with chicken', which was also chopped- and seriously about 2oz worth- about a quarter cup- not worth the extra $6 in the least. Sad.Special Features:
- Bad choice of foodMarathonDined on 6/25/2014My daughter & I ordered short ribs on stir fry noodles. It was horrible. Rib was small & too fatty; stir fry much too greasy. This isn't a $25 dinner. I should have sent it back but that bothers my daughter.
- Work lunchBethVIPDined on 6/24/2014Perfect place for a work lunch, and I'm sure it fits all the other marks.... thanks for a great experience.Special Features:
- greatDianeDined on 6/22/2014Great service, great atmosphere, great food.....nothing that was not really goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealmd7716VIPDined on 6/18/2014Decided to switch it up and just go with starters for a casual night. The Cottage Nachos are unreal. Definitely get them if you want some great comfort food. We love the Cottage and have nothing but great things to say. It's a date night staple for us. Cheers!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/18/2014We dine at the Cottage at least three times a month.....although it can be a bite noisy, we usually can carry on a conversation with no problem. The food is consistent, & the wait staff always happy & helpful. Never feel rushed there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.