The Cottage Chestnut Hill
47 Boylston Street
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Cottage Chestnut Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cottagechestnuthill.com/
- Phone: 6179165413
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Kiley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Cottage Chestnut Hill
The Cottage Chestnut Hill has it’s origin in two different lifestyles. John grew up surfing the beaches of Southern California. Laura grew up in Wellesley and is the third generation in her family to have a business in town. Our decor, service and food reflect the casualness and familiarity of So Calif and the sophistication and warmth of New England. Please take a moment to say hello on your next visit. Welcome to the Cottage! — John + LauraContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Cottage Chestnut Hill - Best Restaurants in Chestnut Hill ›
The Cottage Chestnut Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (71)neighborhood gem (60)good for groups (48)great for brunch (46)kid-friendly (35)fit for foodies (26)special occasion (21)great for outdoor dining (19)hot spot (6)romantic (6)vibrant bar scene (5)notable wine list (4)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014I had brunch with three other ladies and we were all extremely happy with our food and service. I wish it were closer to Boston and I'd make it my usual spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodHappyDined on 10/7/2014Neighborhood restaurant that isn't too pricey for weekday meal.Special Features:
- TerribleLikestoeatoutDined on 10/4/2014The dinner we had at the Cottage was our last until the restaurant 's kitchen is revamped. This is the second dreadful dinner we have had there in the past three months. My son ordered the Mahi Mahi and the piece he was given was so small he had to share everyone else's dinner to have enough to eat. (he would not let me say anything). My husband's chicken piccata -- formerly a favorite -- was once again swimming in liquid, mostly oil. I had a chicken caesar salad and the chicken was cooked days before -- not at all tasty or fresh seeming. Finally my last ditch effort to salvage the dinner was a cappuccino which I could not drink. It was bitter and stale tasting. On the whole our once favorite go to restaurant is now off the list.
- FrankophileVIPDined on 10/2/2014The Cottage is my favorite place for lunch near where I work - good food, fast service, quiet enough for adult conversation. But after this most recent visit on my companion's birthday, I found myself wondering why The Cottage, like several other restaurants at which I'm a repeat customer and which I've chosen to celebrate occasions over the past year (birthdays, an anniversary), don't take advantage of the "notes to restaurant" field OpenTable provides diners when making a reservation. I always note celebratory occasions in this field, and it seems to me that some acknowledgement - i.e., "Happy Birthday" sauce garnish on the plate - of the occasion on the part of the restaurant would be a great opportunity to boost customer loyalty.Special Features:
- Wonderful!ovromDined on 9/28/2014We enjoyed a scrumptious family meal and definitely recommend it to anyone - can't wait to try the La Jolla location when we get back home. Thank you!Special Features:
- Great for brunchcavb1118Dined on 9/28/2014While service was a bit slow (it was parents weekend at a local college so the place was packed), the food was very good and very fresh. Omelets, french toast and the burger were all a hit with my familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very poor servicedisappointedDined on 9/28/2014wait staff seemed inadequate for crowd, no coffee refill during our 1 hour breakfast despite asking for a refill 3 times, no water for the table, order of toast (1 slice), came 15 minutes after omelet but was ordered at the same time as omelet, food is ok, but not outstanding, no frills
- good experience but hope for bettergooseganderVIPDined on 9/28/2014Staff a bit overwhelmed by the volume, but managed OK. Food was delicious and service was fine. Would return to give them another chance.Special Features:
- Not a Saturday Night Date PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Food was tasty, and they were attentive to allergy needs. Service was friendly. But I took a date here on a Saturday night, and it was very crowded. I felt like we were sitting together with the people on either side of us. Not great for quiet conversation. Menu selection leaned more heavily toward seafood than I was expecting. The bread was delicious, as was the steak frites I had.
- Good foodGirlDined on 9/27/2014A little too expensive, but the foodie good. Great for outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to returnLuv2dineDined on 9/27/2014This was our first visit to The Cottage and will not be our last! We have a child attending Boston College , and since he is a freshmen, were unsure of a nice place to go for dinner. We found this place on the Internet and we were thrilled we tried it! Atmosphere is fantastic, our waiter was attentive, and the food was delicious and well presented. We began with the Nachos , had three different entrees, and my son ended the meal with the cinnamon mini donuts. Fantastic...I highly recommended the trip.Special Features:
- A great findOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/26/2014Had an 8 p.m. reservation but traffic prevented us from making it until 9. Three phone calls to the restaurant to delay our reservation for 6 people worked out. The host was pleasant and we were accommodated immediately when we arrived. Waitress was pleasant and efficient and our food arrived in a timely manner. 2 orders for steak bites were both disappointing. They were cooked just right and were tasty but chewy. Everything else was tasty and delicious. They were very patient with us as we were the last ones to leave the restaurant! Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/22/2014Food for lunch was delicious and ample. They have a very reasonable offer of sandwich soup or salad which is a great option.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemNewtonFoodieDined on 9/21/2014Newton has few restaurants with "foodie" quality cooking, and this is one. It was a quiet night - early on a Sunday - but I'm betting even when busy, this is a place where you can hear your companions converse. Lots of wonderful items on the menu, and the cocktails were excellent. Kudos to the bartender! Pineapple mojito is a must-try, as is the peach sangria.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Last Saturday night we went to dinner at The Cottage. It has been a go to place for several years. The service and food were mediocre. Skip the cod as it is overpriced and tasted very bland but had a weird spicy topping. The chicken Picard was ok but certainly not restaurant quality presentation. We skipped dessert. I hope they were just having a bad night but there are a lot of new restaurants in the area so I will not be running back any time soon.Special Features:
- Go-to dining spotJbm2014Dined on 9/20/2014The Cottage is one of my favorite spots to dine. The food is always fresh, service is always good, and it is always a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HvegDined on 9/19/2014Best nachos ever and delicious chicken piccata. Very satisfying experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good lunch to chat with old friendsbigleeDined on 9/8/2014Met old friends we haven't seen for a couple of years for late lunch at 1pm on a Monday. Were able to get a good booth at a window, the place was mostly empty and the noise level was low enough we could easily talk. (That's not true when the place is busy on a weekend night - one big open room with no dividers and lots of hard surfaces makes talking and hearing each other difficult at those times and no feeling of privacy.) Service was attentive without being intrusive. Didn't pay much attention to the food so it was at least good or better. I'm a large man and I appreciated that the booth table was movable. They let us linger over coffee - the place was empty and they didn't need the table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulerinDined on 9/6/2014Great food, and service. I love the swordfish tacos, salad, and the wine.Special Features:
- LoveLegalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014The food was terrific. We had a variety of entrees and one appetizer. The noise level was great and our service was great. The manager even came over and gave us a card for a free appetizer to use the next time we go. The prices were a tad higher than I expected but not overwhelming. The portion of a glass of wine seemed a bit small but again not overwhelmingly small. They had no stouts or porters on the menu which was a surprise. Overall, we were pleased and would go again. Even though the parking lot is crowded since there are several businesses in the same area, we were able to find a good space.Special Features:
- Delightful - Delicious - Not NoisyGloriacharleneDined on 9/1/2014Really enjoyed dinner. Tuna nachos appetizer messy to eat but tasty with drinks. Good portions made entrees shareable. Waitress was outstanding. We felt unhurried and it was quiet enough that we could talk comfortably. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Lovely PlacetheyoungfoodieVIPDined on 8/31/2014Recently, I dined with my family at the cottage and once again, it was spectacular! The homemade bread, nachos, salads and burgers are delicious! I highly recommend going !Special Features:
- Very tasty with great serviceEatingOutATreatDined on 8/29/2014I was a little reluctant to meet in a mall for dinner but this was a gem. Outside was beautifully landscaped and made it feel more like a neighborhood restaurant. Our waitress was perfect!Special Features:
- Good Overall but...KpriscellaVIPDined on 8/28/2014We had reservations for 4 for 7:00. Warning - The Cottage won't seat you until your entire party is there (which I feel is a bit annoying - I much prefer Legal Seafood (which is next door) who will seat you right away). One of our party was a little late so we had to wait. Once we were seated, we waited more. Our server seemed overly busy (the restaurant wasn't that busy) and then we also had to wait a long time for our meal. The food was good but I have to say that I had the lobster cobb salad and there wasn't much lobster on it for $21+, the service was OK. I guess it was just an off night. Honestly, next time I'll probably go to Legal - a little more consistent.Special Features:
- OK not GreatBostonDined on 8/27/2014Excellent drinks! Would have been nice to have a napkin under the glasses when you are sitting outside.Condensation dripped through the table slats onto our feet. Food was a little disappointing. Used to get two crab cakes now there is one. It was a generous size but seemed like less than when there where two. Salmon also seemed smaller and the piece was broken apart, perhaps they were checking to see how done it was? The duck was boring. Tasted OK but had no sauce to speak of and very little in the way of vegetables with it. We ordered mixed grilled vegetables on the side which also seemed to lack much specific taste or grill flavor. It would have a nice touch to have been offered fresh ground pepper or to have a pepper mill on the table.Special Features:
- DisappointeduzzyDined on 8/22/2014They were overwhelmed and the wait staff just kept apologizing for the ineptitude of the kitchen. This was supposed to be a birthday celebration, but it was a disaster. When our dinners finally arrived, one was missing and my daughter had to wait twenty minutes more because they said they lost the ticket. Food was cold and our waiter had to be tracked down several times just to get water or drinks. He said they would comp the appetizers yet when the bill came, they were still there. When he left to adjust it, he returned with someone else's bill. We will not be returning.
- Nice ambiance and foodBostonFoodieDined on 8/15/2014Service at this location can be spotty depending on the time of day. We typically dine early with a toddler and have had trouble getting good service. However, at peak busy times service is more acceptable. Food here is good and consistent quality. They do update their menu with seasonal items too which is nice.Special Features:
- our second time there ..great.BostonloverDined on 8/3/2014We loved "Cottage" the first time we dined there and loved the SUnday brunch this past weekend. The food is so fresh, well prepared and beautifully presented. The service was great and the setting is bright and inviting.Special Features:
- creativefoodieDined on 7/30/2014Our waiter was less than enthusiastic! We had to stop him 3 times for different needs. The food was good----a bit sparse. I was still hungry and so w's the rest of my group. Very uninteresting presentation of food. Even at home we try to present in accretive way!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for familiesTonyMDined on 7/28/2014My wife and I along with our 8-month old dined at The Cottage for our 7th anniversary. The place was at about 90% capacity which is impressive for a Monday evening. We ordered the duck, salmon, and crab cakes (apps), all were delicious, particularly the duck which was quite scrumptious and highly recommended, great flavor. The salmon was grilled well, full of flavor, not heavy on any sauces or spices that take over a great fish, and the crab cakes had nice large chunks of crab meat. Our waiter, Michele, was very attentive to our needs even when we didn't ask, he was excellent. Overall it was another excellent experience at The Cottage.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014We celebrate my husband's birthday here and everything was wonderful. The food as usual was great. My husband ordered the BBQ steak tips and he loved them (although he doesn't really eat steak). I ordered the sweet-potato crusted cod and it was light and flaky. Let's not forget to mention the Asian ribs (phenomenal). The best part of the whole night was our server (although I can't recall her name at the moment). She was very attentive but not intrusive at all. I would go back in a heart beat.Special Features:
- Menu changesMcjcVIPDined on 7/25/2014When the cottage first opened in chestnut hill, we would have given the food a much higher rating. Not sure if there's a new chef or not, but the changes are not good. The crusted cod dish was great and now is mediocre. Salads are still very good but skip the entrees.
- B+ Food for A+ PricesRSquareVIPDined on 7/23/2014While the cottage serves pleasant and fresh food and will not disappoint or wow in terms of flavor. It's pricing approaches that of much higher end restaurant.
- Not so great...lookingforgreatfoodDined on 7/22/2014I would not recommend this place. My Mahi Tacos were uninspired and quite dry tasting. Too much cabbage and not enough sauce. Quite frankly, I've had better at chain restaurants for half the price. My friend got the Salmon which she asked for well done and it was not. Also, no better then chain restaurants, at double the price. The service was not so great either. The waiter seemed quite bored while taking our order and only returned one time to fill our water, and one time to bring the check. Then, he disappeared. He never returned to collect the check. Thankfully we were paying with cash but had to leave extra tip or we would have been waiting even longer for poor service. He certainly didn't deserve his over 20%.
- Misleading andPaoloCDined on 7/21/2014We received a coupon via email offering is an anniversary gift of a free entree with the purchase of two entrees. We went the other night and informed our server about the coupon at the start of our meal. He wished us a happy anniversary. When it came time to settle up the bill, he, somewhat embarrassingly, informed us that the coupon would not work since you had to purchase 2 entrees to get a third one free. Who takes 3 people to an anniversary dinner ? The food itself was ok. We particularly liked the polenta cake appetizer. The Chicken Milanese entree was soggy and lacking flavor; the lobster sandwich was fair but it was hard to find the lobster. Overall an embarrassing evening and a mediocre dinner.
- disappointingKimSVIPDined on 7/20/2014The fish tacos were very disappointing this time. We usually like them.
- Good foodArielleVIPDined on 7/19/2014Great food and drinks! It's a little expensive so I only go for special occasions.Special Features:
- mindyDined on 7/11/2014dinner was lovely and the ease of obtaining a gluten free menus for a member of our group was seamless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for brunch!GirlDined on 7/6/2014The Cottage has the most delicious brunch. Try the California omelet- it is divine!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/5/2014Great dinner with family and small kids. Menu was diverse, service great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.