The Cottage Chestnut Hill
47 Boylston Street
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Cottage Chestnut Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cottagechestnuthill.com/
- Phone: 6179165413
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Kiley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Cottage Chestnut Hill
The Cottage Chestnut Hill has it’s origin in two different lifestyles. John grew up surfing the beaches of Southern California. Laura grew up in Wellesley and is the third generation in her family to have a business in town. Our decor, service and food reflect the casualness and familiarity of So Calif and the sophistication and warmth of New England. Please take a moment to say hello on your next visit. Welcome to the Cottage! — John + LauraContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
The Cottage Chestnut Hill - Best Restaurants in Chestnut Hill ›
The Cottage Chestnut Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
195 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (86)neighborhood gem (75)good for groups (66)great for brunch (64)fit for foodies (46)kid-friendly (45)special occasion (39)romantic (14)great for outdoor dining (13)notable wine list (12)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- OK not GreatBostonDined on 8/27/2014Excellent drinks! Would have been nice to have a napkin under the glasses when you are sitting outside.Condensation dripped through the table slats onto our feet. Food was a little disappointing. Used to get two crab cakes now there is one. It was a generous size but seemed like less than when there where two. Salmon also seemed smaller and the piece was broken apart, perhaps they were checking to see how done it was? The duck was boring. Tasted OK but had no sauce to speak of and very little in the way of vegetables with it. We ordered mixed grilled vegetables on the side which also seemed to lack much specific taste or grill flavor. It would have a nice touch to have been offered fresh ground pepper or to have a pepper mill on the table.Special Features:
- DisappointeduzzyDined on 8/22/2014They were overwhelmed and the wait staff just kept apologizing for the ineptitude of the kitchen. This was supposed to be a birthday celebration, but it was a disaster. When our dinners finally arrived, one was missing and my daughter had to wait twenty minutes more because they said they lost the ticket. Food was cold and our waiter had to be tracked down several times just to get water or drinks. He said they would comp the appetizers yet when the bill came, they were still there. When he left to adjust it, he returned with someone else's bill. We will not be returning.
- Nice ambiance and foodBostonFoodieDined on 8/15/2014Service at this location can be spotty depending on the time of day. We typically dine early with a toddler and have had trouble getting good service. However, at peak busy times service is more acceptable. Food here is good and consistent quality. They do update their menu with seasonal items too which is nice.Special Features:
- our second time there ..great.BostonloverDined on 8/3/2014We loved "Cottage" the first time we dined there and loved the SUnday brunch this past weekend. The food is so fresh, well prepared and beautifully presented. The service was great and the setting is bright and inviting.Special Features:
- creativefoodieDined on 7/30/2014Our waiter was less than enthusiastic! We had to stop him 3 times for different needs. The food was good----a bit sparse. I was still hungry and so w's the rest of my group. Very uninteresting presentation of food. Even at home we try to present in accretive way!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for familiesTonyMDined on 7/28/2014My wife and I along with our 8-month old dined at The Cottage for our 7th anniversary. The place was at about 90% capacity which is impressive for a Monday evening. We ordered the duck, salmon, and crab cakes (apps), all were delicious, particularly the duck which was quite scrumptious and highly recommended, great flavor. The salmon was grilled well, full of flavor, not heavy on any sauces or spices that take over a great fish, and the crab cakes had nice large chunks of crab meat. Our waiter, Michele, was very attentive to our needs even when we didn't ask, he was excellent. Overall it was another excellent experience at The Cottage.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014We celebrate my husband's birthday here and everything was wonderful. The food as usual was great. My husband ordered the BBQ steak tips and he loved them (although he doesn't really eat steak). I ordered the sweet-potato crusted cod and it was light and flaky. Let's not forget to mention the Asian ribs (phenomenal). The best part of the whole night was our server (although I can't recall her name at the moment). She was very attentive but not intrusive at all. I would go back in a heart beat.Special Features:
- Menu changesMcjcVIPDined on 7/25/2014When the cottage first opened in chestnut hill, we would have given the food a much higher rating. Not sure if there's a new chef or not, but the changes are not good. The crusted cod dish was great and now is mediocre. Salads are still very good but skip the entrees.
- B+ Food for A+ PricesRSquareVIPDined on 7/23/2014While the cottage serves pleasant and fresh food and will not disappoint or wow in terms of flavor. It's pricing approaches that of much higher end restaurant.
- Not so great...lookingforgreatfoodDined on 7/22/2014I would not recommend this place. My Mahi Tacos were uninspired and quite dry tasting. Too much cabbage and not enough sauce. Quite frankly, I've had better at chain restaurants for half the price. My friend got the Salmon which she asked for well done and it was not. Also, no better then chain restaurants, at double the price. The service was not so great either. The waiter seemed quite bored while taking our order and only returned one time to fill our water, and one time to bring the check. Then, he disappeared. He never returned to collect the check. Thankfully we were paying with cash but had to leave extra tip or we would have been waiting even longer for poor service. He certainly didn't deserve his over 20%.
- Misleading andPaoloCDined on 7/21/2014We received a coupon via email offering is an anniversary gift of a free entree with the purchase of two entrees. We went the other night and informed our server about the coupon at the start of our meal. He wished us a happy anniversary. When it came time to settle up the bill, he, somewhat embarrassingly, informed us that the coupon would not work since you had to purchase 2 entrees to get a third one free. Who takes 3 people to an anniversary dinner ? The food itself was ok. We particularly liked the polenta cake appetizer. The Chicken Milanese entree was soggy and lacking flavor; the lobster sandwich was fair but it was hard to find the lobster. Overall an embarrassing evening and a mediocre dinner.
- disappointingKimSVIPDined on 7/20/2014The fish tacos were very disappointing this time. We usually like them.
- Good foodArielleVIPDined on 7/19/2014Great food and drinks! It's a little expensive so I only go for special occasions.Special Features:
- mindyDined on 7/11/2014dinner was lovely and the ease of obtaining a gluten free menus for a member of our group was seamless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for brunch!GirlDined on 7/6/2014The Cottage has the most delicious brunch. Try the California omelet- it is divine!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/5/2014Great dinner with family and small kids. Menu was diverse, service great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Lunch spotlivetoeatVIPDined on 7/3/2014The California Caesar salad with avocado dressing is exceptional!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/29/2014We were a bit disappointed in the service by our waiter and the inability of him to provide us with bread to go with our meal. He told us that it was unavailable; however, after speaking to the front desk we were told that there was bread available for the asking but not generally served with Sunday brunch due to the other starches offered.Special Features:
- Nice experience overallLizzDined on 6/29/2014The food did not impress me, my friend's plate was flavorless and the fruits on my french toast were not fresh and given little. The service was very good, our waitress was nice and felt casual. The front desk was sitting people when I arrived but the waiters and bartenders did not bother to speak with me at all. Although, overall fine experience.Special Features:
- Happy birthdayfinedayDined on 6/26/2014There was a problem when we got there as we sat and sat and no waiter. After about 15 minutes I went up to 2 waitpersons leaning on the wall and asked for service- at this point the manager came over and explained that the waiter for our table was in the kitchen & he didn't know about us. She was very apologetic and immediately gave us a server. From that moment on everything was very good. The food was excellent, good service and I had a letter giving me a free desert since I had a birthday June 23. I ordered the strudel with ice cream and shared it with my 2 friends. It was such a large desert I took half of it home. Yes I will go back to the Cottage. The prices are very reasonable for lunch.Special Features:
- Better than most.WandererVIPDined on 6/22/2014A nice spot for brunch. Varied menu well prepared and presented. All staff were friendly and accommodating. Located in a nicer retail strip center (enterance around the back so may confound your gps). Definitely a hit for our party and will return.Special Features:
- Consistently great!NeighborDined on 6/21/2014We have eaten at both Massachusetts Cottage locations (La Jolla is on the list to visit) The food is always consistently excellent. The ahi tuna nachos are a must, to try. Two of our party ordered the hangar steak, it was cooked perfectly, and delicious! The other person in our party ordered the Chef's Special, a swordfish dish. Also excellent. For some reason, the Chestnut Hill location is easier to get a reservation, than Wellesley. The restaurant wasn't full during our visit. Shocking really, as the food and service were excellent, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinning & Shopping ExperiencewhiteflowerDined on 6/21/2014The Cottage at Chestnut Hill is conveniently located in a vibrant shopping area, and great place to stop for a bite while shopping or before a movie. Have been to the Cottage on several occasions and each time I have been slightly disappointed, as the description in the menu is often a bit different than what shows up at the table. For example, I ordered Chicken Piccata with the expectation that it would be prepared in traditional Italian style. Instead, chicken breast was not cut in half and did not appear to have been browned in olive oil. The flavoring was lemony and good, so overall I was happy. After our meal, our waiter presented the check without asking if we would like coffee or dessert. We were looking forward to both!Special Features:
- Nice Night to Celebrate.DesigngirlDined on 6/20/2014We celebrated a birthday with girlfriends. The food was great and everyone got something different. They had summer sangria which was tasty as well. We sat for a long while after dinner and no one asked for the table. Very enjoyable night out.Special Features:
- Cottage sounds beachyJunkMailDined on 6/18/2014Great spot! Food was excellent! Service was superb. Soda was lame-unfortunately. Places around CNH should always serve soda from a bottle or can (they charge enough not sure why they don't the fountain soda is NEVER good unless you go to Cheese Cake Factory!) the food at the Cottage was very fresh (there were 2 of us) we each had different fish. Very different flavors, served differently, perfectly cooked, presention was clean, specific&served with a smile. They even asked if we'd like bread 'n butter. Once seated there was no delay, no rush&everything was completely comfortable from start to finish! No complaints...except for the soda-which I don't take lightly...maybe keeping a few cans on hand would be good? Great spot for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch options!OllieGDined on 6/15/2014Went to The Cottage for Father's Day brunch. They had a vast menu with options for everyone. The peach mimosas were to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatButtons209VIPDined on 6/15/2014Great place for dinning my family had a great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner out at a restaurant!RickDined on 6/14/2014Title says it all. It was dinner out, nothing bad, nothing exceptional. I would go again, I would recommend it, but, just a decent, run of the mill experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with FriendsSuncactusDined on 6/14/2014User error...booked Chestnut Hill and went to Wellesley. The hostess couldn't have been more gracious and understanding and we were seated in a short time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing - A Frequent DinerGeorgeDVIPDined on 6/14/2014The Chestnut Hill location is a far cry from the standard of excellence typified by the Wellesley location. For starters the eggplant fries, the calamari, and the veggie burger were "exceptionally" greasy. An unfortunate distinction that strayed from the standard fare we had come to expect when dinning at the Wellesley location. The server agreed with our disappointment but indicated he had to defer to the chef who felt his fare set the standard. I cannot recommend this location and will not return but I can recommend the Wellesley location.
- Would not recommendreviewerDined on 6/13/2014The waiter was attentive and friendly. We started with blood orange margaritas and we both thought they were way too salty. The chicken piccata had chunks of chicken in it instead of a nice cut of fattened chicken, and it had artichokes in it which I really didn't care for. The spaghetti in it was also overdone. We ordered the raspberry bread pudding for dessert to share and it was terrible. It was cold and dry, not at all what bread pudding should ever look like or taste like. we did not complain at the time, but we will not be back.
- tiilaDined on 6/8/2014Went there for a brunch on a late Sunday morning. Loved it!Special Features:
- Great bloody MariatasjtimeDined on 6/8/2014I've been to the cottage in La Jolla and loved it. This one was good, but lacked the charm of being literally in a cottage. That said, the décor is wonderful, the food is quite good, and substantial, and the bloody maria was just as I'd remembered it. I would recommend this for brunch, a day time event (like a shower) and for getting together with a group of friends.Special Features:
- ShoshyDined on 6/6/2014Overpriced,food was okay,service good,wine overpriced for the quality
- free kids soda! milk is extraMisterPicoDined on 6/5/2014Why should a nearly ten-dollar kids meal charge extra for milk? Otherwise, the comfort food is always great here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group lunchGradlunchDined on 6/5/2014Great afternoon celebrating a high school graduation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AJSatisfiedDined on 6/4/2014This restaurant has a crisp feel to it with a great little bar area as well. The servers are attentive and helpful and the food was delicious. We both had the red snapper, which was cooked to perfection, and it had a lovely, delicately flavored lentil side to go with it. We shared a roasted vegetable salad that was just the right amount of crunchy and tasty. They have a very good sized room which was catering to a small group of people but the noise from that was not loud or offensive. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- Surprisingly good!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/4/2014After reading reviews I was a bit reluctant. But went anyway and was glad I did not listen to reviews about slow service or mediocre food and especially portion size. We could not finish our meals took them home. Our group had a great dinner everyone in our party was very happy with our meals and full. Great service too. Give it a try for yourselfSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ducksterDined on 6/3/2014What a nice find in a mall! Beautiful room, excellent apps, entrees were well presented and delicious. Will be sure to return.Special Features:
- good food!nicoleDined on 6/3/2014i do have a soft spot for the cottage because of the memories over the past 2 years. however, they always try to get a little too creative with their menu....i wish they would have more appetizer options and simple dishes/salads. service is always great and the restaurant is very pretty!Special Features: