The Copper Onion
111 E Broadway
Salt Lake City, UT 84111Neighborhood:
Salt Lake City
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Copper Onion
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecopperonion.com/
- Phone: 8013553282x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 3pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5pm - 10pm, Friday - Saturday: 5pm - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Ryan Lowder
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Copper Onion
The Copper Onion is one of the new additions to the growing Utah foodie scene. Former NYC chef (and native Utahan) Ryan Lowder now brings his personal take on New American cuisine to his own kitchen with an approach inspired by his passion for Utah’s outstanding farmstead ingredients and his experience as a chef cooking his way through Barcelona, NYC and South America. The Copper Onion serves a wide array of vegetable side dishes and a menu designed to explore and share, with plates such as Ricotta Dumplings with lemon, sage and brown butter and Braised Pork Belly with seasonal vegetables. An insistent focus on the freshest and best is paramount; sausages and burgers are ground daily, bread is baked and ice cream is made in house, offering casual diners an exceptional experience at affordable prices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Copper Onion - Best Restaurants in Salt Lake City ›
The Copper Onion reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (106)hot spot (59)great for outdoor dining (54)neighborhood gem (53)special occasion (48)great for lunch (31)good for groups (27)great for brunch (20)notable wine list (18)romantic (16)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Food is outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014I love the way the way this restaurant is ran. They go out of their way to source as much possible locally. This isn't your typical chain restaurant, they have a very unique menu that is always changing. They have stuff on their menu that you wouldn't find anywhere else.Special Features:
- A Step Up from the Olive GardenjoslynDined on 10/19/2014Probably great for people who normally only eat at chain restaurants and are easily impressed by having their bland, over salted dessert presented in a Ball jar, but honestly, the food is highly mediocre, the service is phoned in, and the tables are crowded together. It's loud. If that bugs you, you can sit on the patio, with a lovely view of the adjacent parking garage and the nondescript office building across the street. I can forgive bad service and bad atmosphere in lieu of good food, but the Copper Onion simply doesn't have it. The pasta was really undercooked — way beyond al dente — and the sauce bland. The meatloaf looked and tasted like a TV dinner. The "house vegetables" were overcooked, gray, and indistinguishable. Ick.
- Out of this world!foodiefoodlover13Dined on 10/17/2014I mean this literally, I feel like this belongs in New York. It's an escape in our own city. So delicious and a great atmosphere. The staff is great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Lunch SpotBryanNYCVIPDined on 10/15/2014I've been to Copper Onion many times. The food is always great but the service can be spotty. It's a great place to meet friends for lunch.Special Features:
- Above and BeyondCbnboyDined on 10/14/2014Had the Beef Stroganoff and it was so good I was tempted to lick the bowl. The tomato/cucumber appetizer was so delicious I am still thinking about it! The service was above average. The evening was a wonderful experience.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014Very noisy, I couldn't hear the person I was dining with. Food was priced too high for the quality of the food.
- My Favorite SLC RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014The service is excellent, the ambiance is perfect, the food is always perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food goodgrilsnightDined on 10/11/2014The food was very good' Every thing was great except for the noise level (music made it so you could not talk).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- since taste buds have no ears...r2taste2Dined on 10/10/2014Fantastic food.Tables are tightly packed together so the waiters butts are practically in your food as they squeeze between tables for other guests.Noise level=atrocious.Dishes clanging, everyone yelling over eachother for dinner conversation, slaughters wonderful food, especially since waiters "disappear" coming back in nearly 10-20min intervals to ask you again what was ordered.experience okay if only you could hear a single word instead of sitting at a small table trying not to touch your neighbors elbow or foot, hungry, wondering if your order has finally been put in since they couldn't remember what you told them 20 minutes ago, while your eardrums are beat to death. Stroganoff was amazing. I'd get it to go.Special Features:
- Somewhat DisappointingMaceDined on 10/9/2014It was difficult to get a table. This place can get pretty busy. I was disappointed with the amount of food I received. I ordered fish & chips (not impressed, don't recommend) and I hardly got any fish. What I had was little pieces that looked like they were left over scraps. I asked the waiter about it (who was nice) if this was the right portion size and he said it was. I was hoping he would bring me some more, but he didn't. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the service was pretty good, I just don't think my meal was worth what I paid for it. I left hungry and unsatisfied. My girlfriend had the burger and it was pretty good, as was the bread. Not sure if I will come back, although some of the other items on the menu look good.
- Back again and not disappointed!SfalkVIPDined on 10/9/2014We went back a second time because we had such a good meal there earlier in the week. It was top quality again! The side dishes are flavorful and beautifully presented and the Carbonara is decadent!Special Features:
- Delicious!SfalkVIPDined on 10/6/2014We will definitely be going back for more. We ate outside on the patio and ordered the carbonara and three sides to share. The carbonara was absolutely wonderful, every bit as good as we found in Italy. It had a whole, soft cooked egg yolk hiding just below the top layer of pasta. When that mixed in to the pasta it was rich and creamy. The bacon added flavor and the pasta was fresh and just the right texture. The sides were equally as good. The roasted beet salad on arugula was my favorite. The fresh bread and olive oil were perfect as well.Special Features:
- Excellent meal at Copper OnionssmilesDined on 10/3/2014We had the risotto dumplings, halibut with cannelloni beans and steak fries. All were fabulous. The flavors and textures were amazing. The price is reasonable for such high quality food. They have a great wine and liquor menu. The staff was attentive and well informed on the menu. I will be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014The menu selection, food and service is second to none. The noise level can be bothersome making it difficult in hearing your guest and waiter. This is no fault of the restaurant, it's a busy and happening place. The ability to make reservation on-line is great and the call from the restaurant the day of was appreciated. As like any Downtown area, parking can be difficult. I'm not sure it would be possible to offer Valet parking however it would be a huge plus. Nonetheless, it's one of the finest restaurants in SLC. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Bad Night?johnnydineDined on 10/2/2014Seated promptly. Given Lunch menu for dinner. Asked if we would like bread. My wife ordered the Halibut, dry and burnt on bottom. I ordered Stroganoff, delicious sauce. Noodles beyond el dente. Had to cut with knife. Server never refilled drinks. Bread was delicious, 3 small pieces. Never asked if we would like more. Would have been nice with the sauce from the stroganoff. Took our plates without asking if we were done. We were sat at the smallest table which was fine, but it was so loud we could not converse without yelling. Had panna-cotta with coffee. Nothing special. $ 80.00 later not impressed. After everything I had heard and read about this restaurant maybe we caught them on a bad night.Special Features:
- as good as reviews indicatedHobokenkenVIPDined on 9/27/2014We had an excellent meal here. Perfect for us foodies from New York. Our server was extremely nice and described everything very well. The atmosphere borders on a noisy open kitchen atmosphere so don't expect white tablecloths. Parking was easy and overall we had a really great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014I brought a group of women in to celebrate a bachelorette party. They were all very pleased with the food and the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, Unique, and LocaljzheauxDined on 9/27/2014We were in a bit of a rush the night that we went, but it was still great. We had an obligation at 6, and The Copper Onion opens for dinner at 5. We made the reservation for 5, and arrived at 4:30 to see if we could sit and wait. They were so accommodating! They sat us right away at 5 o'clock sharp so we could still enjoy our time there. I ordered the Stroganoff, my wife the Rainbow Trout. The Stroganoff noodles were a little stiffer than I like and the sauce a little thinner, but the beef was tender and delectable; the dish was good overall. The Rainbow Trout, though, was amazing! My eyes actually shot open at my first bite; tomato, lentils, and trout in one wonderful bite! Then, we ordered the cheesecake, which was also delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodWolfDined on 9/27/2014I was here for brunch and had their special 'duck scramble'. The duck was very tasty and the scrambled eggs were some of the best I've very had. Great place for brunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25 September 2014FlimFlammedDined on 9/26/2014Ordering was a bit confusing in as much as everything was a la carte and specialty items. As portions were sufficient for two, it would have been nice to have help navigating the menu and order a complete compliment. The big disaster was the steak. It was $29 and a very poor quality cut of beef. There was so much gristle on one end I couldn't even cut it without shaking the table back and forth. Reminded me of an "I Love Lucy" episode. The menu said that they made their own ice cream on site. The waiter later told me the vanilla was actually Hagen Daz. Very disappointing and I felt like I was lied to. For this kind of money there's probably at least a dozen better restaurants in SLC. Corner tables under vents are cold.Special Features:
- One of my favorite restaurantsBountifulLadyDined on 9/23/2014Copper Onion is, and has been, one of my favorite restaurants. Food is always amazing, I love that many ingredients are locally sourced, unusual and delicious cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not GreatjcryjohnDined on 9/23/2014Service not so hot. It bugged me that the silverware was placed directly on the wooden surface of the table. The burger and fries were really good. The halibut not worth the money.Special Features:
- Not what was expectedRealisticRealmDined on 9/21/2014Came highly recommended; however, the server was inattentive. The house wine was way overpriced at $14 a glass; and found the food to be good but also overpriced. Atmosphere was not energetic but sheer distracting. Would not return here.Special Features:
- Great Find in Salt Lake CitytravelfoodieDined on 9/21/2014Food and service were great -- a lively energetic spot in an otherwise quiet city. Noise level is a bit much.Special Features:
- Always a Great ExperiencecopperonionDined on 9/21/2014The Copper Onion is by far the best place in Salt Lake City. Not a single item on the menu that doesn't meet expectations. The Halibut and Salmon are always the number one choice on the menu.Special Features:
- Great local placeVolareDined on 9/20/2014Make a reservation days in advance if you can, always busy. Or be willing to sit at the bar if you just walk in. Food is great. My friends from Israel said it was the best meal they had eaten in 10 days in the United States. Halibut and trout are delicious as is Mary's chicken. The chefs even made certain there was not bacon in the lentils that accompanied the trout entree. All the appetizers a good as well. We ordered all of the to share (except the pork dishes). We live in town and are lucky we can go back anytime. Our server Autumn was new, however she was delightful and let us order and eat at our own pace.Special Features:
- Cooper Onionexploringfood4Dined on 9/19/2014As usual, a great dining experience with wonderful menu choices.Special Features:
- Great servicegoinoutDined on 9/19/2014We ate on the patio, which was very nice. Great ambiance. The restuaruant was pretty busy, but the service remained attentive. Our food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still GreatippeteDined on 9/17/2014I have not been to the Copper Onion in several years but was very pleased to find that the quality of the food has not changed and if anything is better than it was the last time I was there. I rarely order chicken out but the Cast Iron Chicken was excellent, perfectly cooked, juicy and just wonderful.Special Features:
- Great LunchParkiteDined on 9/16/2014It's my go to spot for lunch in downtown SLC. Food is always great, had the BLT with Heirlooms and was delicious. Fav's are the Carbonara and Brisket Sandwich.Special Features:
- Do it.KatieVIPDined on 9/13/2014Pork belly and bone marrow were highlights, but everything was tasty. Service was great. A bit noisy, but you are still able to have a conversation. Overall, great dinner with fresh ingredients. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OdtstesdineOstatesdineDined on 9/13/2014Copper onion was a huge surprise. We tried a variety of meals during the dinner and tasted each other meals. Everything was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/12/2014Very popular restaurant, packed when we arrived. We checked in for our reservation, our table was ready, but two walk in couples arriving after us were seated at the bar first, while we waited. The food was very good, but our entrees arrived when we were only partially done with appetizers. The person who served us was not our waiter, we told him we weren't ready for our entrees, but he put them down regardless, moving our other plates to the side. When our waiter stopped by a few minutes later and we told him that our entrees came out too fast, he offered to have them re-made so that we could finish the first course. We declined the offer at that point. I would go back, but would order in stages.Special Features:
- one of our favoritessuperstitiousDined on 9/12/2014We have come to love this restaurant. The food, service, and drinks are over the top. Unique dishes using local resources.Special Features:
- Great food!YonniDined on 9/10/2014The copper onion never disappoints. I've never ordered anything I didn't love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceLuvtwodineDined on 9/5/2014We had an amazing dinner here. When it was full it was a little loud but not too bad. The service was top notch. Our waitress "Ammie" was great. She knew the menu. She was very polite and did not come over every 5 minutes. Best waitress we have had anywhere in a long time. The food was VERY good. The only thing I would say negatively about this place is the the drink prices were through the roof expensive. Overall, one of the best in SLC. Coming back for sure.Special Features:
- Reliably GoodBryanNYCVIPDined on 9/4/2014Copper Onion is a reliable downtown Salt Lake City standard. The service is not always the best, but the food never disappoints.Special Features:
- Bring Hearing ProtectionColoradofoodieVIPDined on 9/3/2014We booked on a whim while visiting Salt Lake. It was good enough we would go back. But....LISTEN UP!!! Have you ever noticed how in a really loud restaurant, there is one especially LOUD individual, usually sitting right next to you at a scrunched in table?Special Features:
- Fun location, good foodsunflowers1000Dined on 9/2/2014In a very "happening area of Salt Lake City. Great outdoor dining area, though you do have street noise. They will bring you free, delicious bread, but you have to ask for itSpecial Features:
- PJSParkCityDined on 8/31/2014Good food. Just felt very rushed. Waiter asked our order within minutes of sitting down. Tried to clear plates before we finished dinner. Never asked if we wanted dessert or another drink. Popular spot, but would have enjoyed our anniversary dinner more if we weren't on a time limit.Special Features: