The Copper Onion
111 E Broadway
Salt Lake City, UT 84111Neighborhood:
Salt Lake City
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Copper Onion
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecopperonion.com/
- Phone: 8013553282
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 4pm Lunch: Monday: 11:30am - 3pm, Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 4pm Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4pm - 10pm, Friday - Saturday: 4pm - 11pm, Sunday: 4pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Ryan Lowder
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room by day can accommodate 12 guests for any occasion, ranging from a luncheon shower to a business presentation. By candlelight at night, it becomes the perfect venue for an intimate dinner with friends or family. We can also accommodate groups of 10-15 guests at our antique farmhouse communal table, and any larger groups in the main dining room. Group menu packages and information sheets are available by request: email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Colleen Lowder 8013553282
- Special Events: Our gorgeous private room can seat up to 12 guests for intimate meals and presentations, and we can accommodate groups of 12 to 80 guests in our main dining room. Email email@example.com for more details.
A word from The Copper Onion
The Copper Onion is one of the new additions to the growing Utah foodie scene. Former NYC chef (and native Utahan) Ryan Lowder now brings his personal take on New American cuisine to his own kitchen with an approach inspired by his passion for Utah’s outstanding farmstead ingredients and his experience as a chef cooking his way through Barcelona, NYC and South America. The Copper Onion serves a wide array of vegetable side dishes and a menu designed to explore and share, with plates such as Ricotta dumplings with lemon, sage and brown butter and Braised Pork Belly with shaved Brussels sprouts and pickled celeriac. Entrees include Fresh house-made papparedelle with lamb ragout and Duck Confit with butternut squash and roasted mushroom caps. An insistent focus on the freshest and best is paramount; sausages and burgers are ground daily, bread is baked and ice cream is made in house, offering casual diners an exceptional experience at affordable prices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Copper Onion - Best Restaurants in Salt Lake City ›
The Copper Onion reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (86)great for outdoor dining (50)neighborhood gem (46)hot spot (45)special occasion (42)great for lunch (27)good for groups (22)great for brunch (21)romantic (16)notable wine list (15)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- as good as reviews indicatedHobokenkenVIPDined on 9/27/2014We had an excellent meal here. Perfect for us foodies from New York. Our server was extremely nice and described everything very well. The atmosphere borders on a noisy open kitchen atmosphere so don't expect white tablecloths. Parking was easy and overall we had a really great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014I brought a group of women in to celebrate a bachelorette party. They were all very pleased with the food and the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, Unique, and LocalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We were in a bit of a rush the night that we went, but it was still great. We had an obligation at 6, and The Copper Onion opens for dinner at 5. We made the reservation for 5, and arrived at 4:30 to see if we could sit and wait. They were so accommodating! They sat us right away at 5 o'clock sharp so we could still enjoy our time there. I ordered the Stroganoff, my wife the Rainbow Trout. The Stroganoff noodles were a little stiffer than I like and the sauce a little thinner, but the beef was tender and delectable; the dish was good overall. The Rainbow Trout, though, was amazing! My eyes actually shot open at my first bite; tomato, lentils, and trout in one wonderful bite! Then, we ordered the cheesecake, which was also delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodWolfDined on 9/27/2014I was here for brunch and had their special 'duck scramble'. The duck was very tasty and the scrambled eggs were some of the best I've very had. Great place for brunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25 September 2014FlimFlammedDined on 9/26/2014Ordering was a bit confusing in as much as everything was a la carte and specialty items. As portions were sufficient for two, it would have been nice to have help navigating the menu and order a complete compliment. The big disaster was the steak. It was $29 and a very poor quality cut of beef. There was so much gristle on one end I couldn't even cut it without shaking the table back and forth. Reminded me of an "I Love Lucy" episode. The menu said that they made their own ice cream on site. The waiter later told me the vanilla was actually Hagen Daz. Very disappointing and I felt like I was lied to. For this kind of money there's probably at least a dozen better restaurants in SLC. Corner tables under vents are cold.Special Features:
- One of my favorite restaurantsBountifulLadyDined on 9/23/2014Copper Onion is, and has been, one of my favorite restaurants. Food is always amazing, I love that many ingredients are locally sourced, unusual and delicious cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not GreatjcryjohnDined on 9/23/2014Service not so hot. It bugged me that the silverware was placed directly on the wooden surface of the table. The burger and fries were really good. The halibut not worth the money.Special Features:
- Not what was expectedRealisticRealmDined on 9/21/2014Came highly recommended; however, the server was inattentive. The house wine was way overpriced at $14 a glass; and found the food to be good but also overpriced. Atmosphere was not energetic but sheer distracting. Would not return here.Special Features:
- Great Find in Salt Lake CitytravelfoodieDined on 9/21/2014Food and service were great -- a lively energetic spot in an otherwise quiet city. Noise level is a bit much.Special Features:
- Always a Great ExperiencecopperonionDined on 9/21/2014The Copper Onion is by far the best place in Salt Lake City. Not a single item on the menu that doesn't meet expectations. The Halibut and Salmon are always the number one choice on the menu.Special Features:
- Great local placeVolareDined on 9/20/2014Make a reservation days in advance if you can, always busy. Or be willing to sit at the bar if you just walk in. Food is great. My friends from Israel said it was the best meal they had eaten in 10 days in the United States. Halibut and trout are delicious as is Mary's chicken. The chefs even made certain there was not bacon in the lentils that accompanied the trout entree. All the appetizers a good as well. We ordered all of the to share (except the pork dishes). We live in town and are lucky we can go back anytime. Our server Autumn was new, however she was delightful and let us order and eat at our own pace.Special Features:
- Cooper Onionexploringfood4Dined on 9/19/2014As usual, a great dining experience with wonderful menu choices.Special Features:
- Great servicegoinoutDined on 9/19/2014We ate on the patio, which was very nice. Great ambiance. The restuaruant was pretty busy, but the service remained attentive. Our food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still GreatippeteDined on 9/17/2014I have not been to the Copper Onion in several years but was very pleased to find that the quality of the food has not changed and if anything is better than it was the last time I was there. I rarely order chicken out but the Cast Iron Chicken was excellent, perfectly cooked, juicy and just wonderful.Special Features:
- Great LunchParkiteDined on 9/16/2014It's my go to spot for lunch in downtown SLC. Food is always great, had the BLT with Heirlooms and was delicious. Fav's are the Carbonara and Brisket Sandwich.Special Features:
- Do it.KatieVIPDined on 9/13/2014Pork belly and bone marrow were highlights, but everything was tasty. Service was great. A bit noisy, but you are still able to have a conversation. Overall, great dinner with fresh ingredients. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OdtstesdineOstatesdineDined on 9/13/2014Copper onion was a huge surprise. We tried a variety of meals during the dinner and tasted each other meals. Everything was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/12/2014Very popular restaurant, packed when we arrived. We checked in for our reservation, our table was ready, but two walk in couples arriving after us were seated at the bar first, while we waited. The food was very good, but our entrees arrived when we were only partially done with appetizers. The person who served us was not our waiter, we told him we weren't ready for our entrees, but he put them down regardless, moving our other plates to the side. When our waiter stopped by a few minutes later and we told him that our entrees came out too fast, he offered to have them re-made so that we could finish the first course. We declined the offer at that point. I would go back, but would order in stages.Special Features:
- one of our favoritessuperstitiousDined on 9/12/2014We have come to love this restaurant. The food, service, and drinks are over the top. Unique dishes using local resources.Special Features:
- Great food!YonniDined on 9/10/2014The copper onion never disappoints. I've never ordered anything I didn't love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceLuvtwodineDined on 9/5/2014We had an amazing dinner here. When it was full it was a little loud but not too bad. The service was top notch. Our waitress "Ammie" was great. She knew the menu. She was very polite and did not come over every 5 minutes. Best waitress we have had anywhere in a long time. The food was VERY good. The only thing I would say negatively about this place is the the drink prices were through the roof expensive. Overall, one of the best in SLC. Coming back for sure.Special Features:
- Reliably GoodBryanNYCVIPDined on 9/4/2014Copper Onion is a reliable downtown Salt Lake City standard. The service is not always the best, but the food never disappoints.Special Features:
- Bring Hearing ProtectionColoradofoodieVIPDined on 9/3/2014We booked on a whim while visiting Salt Lake. It was good enough we would go back. But....LISTEN UP!!! Have you ever noticed how in a really loud restaurant, there is one especially LOUD individual, usually sitting right next to you at a scrunched in table?Special Features:
- Fun location, good foodsunflowers1000Dined on 9/2/2014In a very "happening area of Salt Lake City. Great outdoor dining area, though you do have street noise. They will bring you free, delicious bread, but you have to ask for itSpecial Features:
- PJSParkCityDined on 8/31/2014Good food. Just felt very rushed. Waiter asked our order within minutes of sitting down. Tried to clear plates before we finished dinner. Never asked if we wanted dessert or another drink. Popular spot, but would have enjoyed our anniversary dinner more if we weren't on a time limit.Special Features:
- The bestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014The Copper Onion is one of my favorite spits in the country, and whenever I come to Salt Lake City I make it a point to introduce new people to this amazing gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cooper Onionexploringfood4Dined on 8/29/2014We always enjoy our outing to the Cooper Onion. The menu is diverse, offering items that are not seen elsewhere, items I would not serve in my home. The waitstaff is professional, courteous, and knowledgeable. The only complaint is getting a reservation at a time I would prefer, the Cooper Onion is very popular and reservations fill up fast.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceLindsayTurnerDined on 8/27/2014My girlfriend and I took my parents here for their first visit, and they've been talking about it since! Although the noise level inside remained high throughout the evening, the outdoor patio was perfect for an intimate dinner. We shared a cheese plate (excellent) and the sautéed mushrooms (amazing). I had the rainbow trout, which was perfectly cooked; my girlfriend had an avocado and tomato salad and the sautéed corn, which she loved; my dad had the stroganoff, and he can't stop talking about it; and my mom had the Copper Onion burger, and even though she could only eat half, she loved every bite. Don't forget dessert! The cheesecake is probably the best I've ever had. All in all, the entire dining experience was everything we wanted.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014The food and service was very good. It was far too noisy for a couples romantic meal, but if you want good food and don't mind yelling to talk to the person across from you, go for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday treatutchefDined on 8/25/2014My partner and I went to celebrate his birthday and were not disappointed. Our opening cocktails and small plates (gaspacho and papas) were wonderful, followed by main courses of pork & polenta and Utah trout. All were exceptional. My only small suggestion was that the papas and the trout arrive accompanied with sauces--typically welcomed as moisturizing to the food--but perhaps a little heavily so. But it certainly didn't detract from an amazing meal. Thank you Copper Onion!Special Features:
- Well informed staffAverageguyDined on 8/25/2014Sat inside at 5:15 and was greeting by a friendly and professional staff. We shared a Sweet corn appetizer and the carbonara (highly recommend) which were excellent. For dinner we had the Pork chop with the fried egg (also highly recommend) and Cacio e Pepe. Wine selection had a nice mix with some of my favorite italian producers (vietti, inama, etc.). Great experience overall and look forward to coming to our next trip.Special Features:
- A Must for Foodies!snow24sevenDined on 8/24/2014Though a bit noisy, it was intimate with a casual yet sophisticated atmosphere. Great specials - "God's" butter (bone marrow) and Braised Pork Cheek with Chorizo Risotto were top notch. Attentive staff and perfect timing on service. Resort style menu but not the price, this will be on our regular rotation for GOOD food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieLehiYummDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary there. The food was very good. I recommend getting as many of the single plates you can. I loved the different food combination that they had available.Special Features:
- Copper?? "The Golden Onion" (IMO)DeanCuisineDined on 8/22/2014After annoyingly requesting a 10:15 pm reservation for four + a baby, this consistently-packed hot spot was instead felt like our charming private bistro. The food was excellent and our waiter, Joel, extremely kind and accommodating. Our friend's from California, whom had heard of The Copper Onion, said they were extremely impressed (he had the stroganoff, she, the chicken).Special Features:
- Great Value!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2014The food was Fantastic, Service excellent, Great experience. First time in Salt Lake City and this was one of the highlights!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Amazing/Uncomfortable seatingEmilyWDined on 8/22/2014The food was outstanding. The seating, however, is very uncomfortable and not very cozy…so if you are looking for a nice relaxing evening out this is not the place. The tables are too close and chairs are too hard. Would be much cooler atmosphere with cozy booths, etc.
- Rude staffKsb17Dined on 8/21/2014Food Good but server and hostess or rude. Did not want to bring butter for the bread everyone had finished their food before they would bring mustard to the table I know they were busy but they were also just rude.
- The Bestphilot78Dined on 8/21/2014can't find anything like it where we live! can't wait to try it again. Be prepared to be wowed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/18/2014Took my girlfriend her for her birthday and she loved it. The food was great and it seems to attract a very pleasant crowd. It's not as expensive as some say.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Copper Onion was a great find for us and we'll definitely return. The food was creative, unique, and delicious. The noise level is fairly high and they've crammed a lot of tables into a small location but that was our expectation. Very popular, reservations recommended.Special Features: