The Copper Onion
111 E Broadway
Salt Lake City, UT 84111Neighborhood:
Salt Lake City
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Copper Onion
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecopperonion.com/
- Phone: 8013553282
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 4pm Lunch: Monday: 11:30am - 3pm, Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 4pm Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4pm - 10pm, Friday - Saturday: 4pm - 11pm, Sunday: 4pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Ryan Lowder
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room by day can accommodate 12 guests for any occasion, ranging from a luncheon shower to a business presentation. By candlelight at night, it becomes the perfect venue for an intimate dinner with friends or family. We can also accommodate groups of 10-15 guests at our antique farmhouse communal table, and any larger groups in the main dining room. Group menu packages and information sheets are available by request: email email@example.com for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Colleen Lowder 8013553282
- Special Events: Our gorgeous private room can seat up to 12 guests for intimate meals and presentations, and we can accommodate groups of 12 to 80 guests in our main dining room. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
A word from The Copper Onion
The Copper Onion is one of the new additions to the growing Utah foodie scene. Former NYC chef (and native Utahan) Ryan Lowder now brings his personal take on New American cuisine to his own kitchen with an approach inspired by his passion for Utah’s outstanding farmstead ingredients and his experience as a chef cooking his way through Barcelona, NYC and South America. The Copper Onion serves a wide array of vegetable side dishes and a menu designed to explore and share, with plates such as Ricotta dumplings with lemon, sage and brown butter and Braised Pork Belly with shaved Brussels sprouts and pickled celeriac. Entrees include Fresh house-made papparedelle with lamb ragout and Duck Confit with butternut squash and roasted mushroom caps. An insistent focus on the freshest and best is paramount; sausages and burgers are ground daily, bread is baked and ice cream is made in house, offering casual diners an exceptional experience at affordable prices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Copper Onion - Best Restaurants in Salt Lake City ›
The Copper Onion reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (82)great for outdoor dining (48)hot spot (44)neighborhood gem (40)special occasion (39)great for lunch (26)great for brunch (20)good for groups (18)romantic (17)notable wine list (16)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Still GreatippeteDined on 9/17/2014I have not been to the Copper Onion in several years but was very pleased to find that the quality of the food has not changed and if anything is better than it was the last time I was there. I rarely order chicken out but the Cast Iron Chicken was excellent, perfectly cooked, juicy and just wonderful.Special Features:
- Great LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014It's my go to spot for lunch in downtown SLC. Food is always great, had the BLT with Heirlooms and was delicious. Fav's are the Carbonara and Brisket Sandwich.Special Features:
- Do it.KatieVIPDined on 9/13/2014Pork belly and bone marrow were highlights, but everything was tasty. Service was great. A bit noisy, but you are still able to have a conversation. Overall, great dinner with fresh ingredients. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OdtstesdineOstatesdineDined on 9/13/2014Copper onion was a huge surprise. We tried a variety of meals during the dinner and tasted each other meals. Everything was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/12/2014Very popular restaurant, packed when we arrived. We checked in for our reservation, our table was ready, but two walk in couples arriving after us were seated at the bar first, while we waited. The food was very good, but our entrees arrived when we were only partially done with appetizers. The person who served us was not our waiter, we told him we weren't ready for our entrees, but he put them down regardless, moving our other plates to the side. When our waiter stopped by a few minutes later and we told him that our entrees came out too fast, he offered to have them re-made so that we could finish the first course. We declined the offer at that point. I would go back, but would order in stages.Special Features:
- Great food!YonniDined on 9/10/2014The copper onion never disappoints. I've never ordered anything I didn't love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceLuvtwodineDined on 9/5/2014We had an amazing dinner here. When it was full it was a little loud but not too bad. The service was top notch. Our waitress "Ammie" was great. She knew the menu. She was very polite and did not come over every 5 minutes. Best waitress we have had anywhere in a long time. The food was VERY good. The only thing I would say negatively about this place is the the drink prices were through the roof expensive. Overall, one of the best in SLC. Coming back for sure.Special Features:
- Reliably GoodBryanNYCVIPDined on 9/4/2014Copper Onion is a reliable downtown Salt Lake City standard. The service is not always the best, but the food never disappoints.Special Features:
- Bring Hearing ProtectionColoradofoodieVIPDined on 9/3/2014We booked on a whim while visiting Salt Lake. It was good enough we would go back. But....LISTEN UP!!! Have you ever noticed how in a really loud restaurant, there is one especially LOUD individual, usually sitting right next to you at a scrunched in table?Special Features:
- Fun location, good foodsunflowers1000Dined on 9/2/2014In a very "happening area of Salt Lake City. Great outdoor dining area, though you do have street noise. They will bring you free, delicious bread, but you have to ask for itSpecial Features:
- PJSParkCityDined on 8/31/2014Good food. Just felt very rushed. Waiter asked our order within minutes of sitting down. Tried to clear plates before we finished dinner. Never asked if we wanted dessert or another drink. Popular spot, but would have enjoyed our anniversary dinner more if we weren't on a time limit.Special Features:
- The bestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014The Copper Onion is one of my favorite spits in the country, and whenever I come to Salt Lake City I make it a point to introduce new people to this amazing gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cooper Onionexploringfood4Dined on 8/29/2014We always enjoy our outing to the Cooper Onion. The menu is diverse, offering items that are not seen elsewhere, items I would not serve in my home. The waitstaff is professional, courteous, and knowledgeable. The only complaint is getting a reservation at a time I would prefer, the Cooper Onion is very popular and reservations fill up fast.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceLindsayTurnerDined on 8/27/2014My girlfriend and I took my parents here for their first visit, and they've been talking about it since! Although the noise level inside remained high throughout the evening, the outdoor patio was perfect for an intimate dinner. We shared a cheese plate (excellent) and the sautéed mushrooms (amazing). I had the rainbow trout, which was perfectly cooked; my girlfriend had an avocado and tomato salad and the sautéed corn, which she loved; my dad had the stroganoff, and he can't stop talking about it; and my mom had the Copper Onion burger, and even though she could only eat half, she loved every bite. Don't forget dessert! The cheesecake is probably the best I've ever had. All in all, the entire dining experience was everything we wanted.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014The food and service was very good. It was far too noisy for a couples romantic meal, but if you want good food and don't mind yelling to talk to the person across from you, go for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday treatutchefDined on 8/25/2014My partner and I went to celebrate his birthday and were not disappointed. Our opening cocktails and small plates (gaspacho and papas) were wonderful, followed by main courses of pork & polenta and Utah trout. All were exceptional. My only small suggestion was that the papas and the trout arrive accompanied with sauces--typically welcomed as moisturizing to the food--but perhaps a little heavily so. But it certainly didn't detract from an amazing meal. Thank you Copper Onion!Special Features:
- Well informed staffAverageguyDined on 8/25/2014Sat inside at 5:15 and was greeting by a friendly and professional staff. We shared a Sweet corn appetizer and the carbonara (highly recommend) which were excellent. For dinner we had the Pork chop with the fried egg (also highly recommend) and Cacio e Pepe. Wine selection had a nice mix with some of my favorite italian producers (vietti, inama, etc.). Great experience overall and look forward to coming to our next trip.Special Features:
- A Must for Foodies!snow24sevenDined on 8/24/2014Though a bit noisy, it was intimate with a casual yet sophisticated atmosphere. Great specials - "God's" butter (bone marrow) and Braised Pork Cheek with Chorizo Risotto were top notch. Attentive staff and perfect timing on service. Resort style menu but not the price, this will be on our regular rotation for GOOD food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieLehiYummDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary there. The food was very good. I recommend getting as many of the single plates you can. I loved the different food combination that they had available.Special Features:
- Copper?? "The Golden Onion" (IMO)DeanCuisineDined on 8/22/2014After annoyingly requesting a 10:15 pm reservation for four + a baby, this consistently-packed hot spot was instead felt like our charming private bistro. The food was excellent and our waiter, Joel, extremely kind and accommodating. Our friend's from California, whom had heard of The Copper Onion, said they were extremely impressed (he had the stroganoff, she, the chicken).Special Features:
- Great Value!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2014The food was Fantastic, Service excellent, Great experience. First time in Salt Lake City and this was one of the highlights!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude staffKsb17Dined on 8/21/2014Food Good but server and hostess or rude. Did not want to bring butter for the bread everyone had finished their food before they would bring mustard to the table I know they were busy but they were also just rude.
- The Bestphilot78Dined on 8/21/2014can't find anything like it where we live! can't wait to try it again. Be prepared to be wowed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/18/2014Took my girlfriend her for her birthday and she loved it. The food was great and it seems to attract a very pleasant crowd. It's not as expensive as some say.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Copper Onion was a great find for us and we'll definitely return. The food was creative, unique, and delicious. The noise level is fairly high and they've crammed a lot of tables into a small location but that was our expectation. Very popular, reservations recommended.Special Features:
- Good Food, Cramped QuartersHospitalityStillMattersDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I chose the Copper Onion to celebrate our fifth wedding anniversary. We had $100 to spend, and by the looks of the menu, I expected a more upscale dining experience. My first clue should have been when I called to confirm my reservation time and asked about appropriate attire, to which the hostess said, "whatever you want." We arrived ten minutes early and were immediately seated. The menu is catered to the more adventurous eater, or foodie. But the atmosphere is much more laid back. It was busy and for the tight quarters it was noisier than I had hoped. The server was knowledgeable, but also pretty busy, so we didn't have much attention paid to our table. Overall, I would likely come back for takeout, but probably not to dine.Special Features:
- Girls night outwestcoaststayDined on 8/14/2014We were looking for great food right downtown. Even our friend who is pretty unadventurous when it comes to dining ended up loving the burger. Service was great, had a reservation and even though it was really busy we were instantly seated. Love the goat cheese salad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great "Nice-Dinner" PlacerebessakDined on 8/13/2014Very good place to go for a nice, classy dinner. Good wine list and decent beer list with local breweries. Expensive but tasty food - the porkchop is beautiful! Great service as well. OpenTable was super easy to use and I had a 0 wait.Special Features:
- Average restaurantLocalVIPDined on 8/10/2014Disappointing to find one of SLC's favorite places becoming more of an average restaurant. Food and service were just fair, not great or even good.
- left disappointedNoKidsweekendDined on 8/9/2014The Food , AMAZING! I ORDER THE BEEF TARTAR SO YUMMY, CHEESE PLATE WITH PORK SHOULDER SO GOOD! My wife ordered some sides fries, green beans, beets to share also very good...especially the beets. We shared the Chicken for our entree LOVED it! Our service was minimal. Our server was not interested in our spiecal night just took our order. Did not ask us any questions . waited for everything.made no eye contact . kinda felt like he did not care ! maybe I should lower my expections of The Copper Onion.Special Features:
- Great, but loudSteveDined on 8/6/2014Really good food and service, lacking a bit in ambiance and way to loud, wine list a little sparse in the by the glass deptSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going downhill.missingplumalleyDined on 8/6/2014I've dined here twice. The first time we sat in the bar because the restaurant was totally booked. Service was amazing, bar menu was superb. Drinks fantastic too. This last visit was a major let down. We had a reservation but were running a bit behind and having trouble figuring out the parking machine, so we sent one member of our party inside to let them know we were coming. The hostess told him no problem. When the rest of us arrived about 5 minutes later (maybe 17 minutes late for the reservation time), the hostess shook her head and said, sorry the system removes your reservation after 15 minutes, you no longer have a table. We were incredulous. She eventually let us sit outside where we were treated to awful service and a bland meal.
- Great cheflovegoodfoodDined on 8/2/2014Loved the menu here. The food was prepared perfectly and tasted delicious. Always happy to get away from the chain restaurants. Will return here over and over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food in SLCrobwoodDined on 7/30/2014Great, eclectic menu. We really enjoyed the food. Only exception was the "Wagyu" beef stroganoff and tartar. If that was Wagyu beef, I'm Obi-Wan Kenobi. It was tasty, but let's be honest, and I've been to Japan a dozen times. Service was attentive. Kitchen was slow. Still, would happily come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014We had heard great things and finally tried it. It didn't disappoint. Our server was awesome (I wish I could remember her name) and explained the menu and gave us great recommendations. We ordered the stroganoff and the meatloaf. The stroganoff was amazing. We didn't love the meatloaf quite as much. We also tried the steak fries (Yum) green beans (Yum) and the beets (ok). We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in UtahSKB1VIPDined on 7/16/2014I eat here 4or 5 times a month and food and service is always great. To be this consistent in the Resturant business is not easy. Job we'll doneSpecial Features:
- The Copper OnionJonniebDined on 7/16/2014We greatly enjoyed our dinner at the Cooper Onion the other night. We made reservations as this is a popular place and now we know why. The food selections are great; the service was very good, and the food was fantastic. Our server "Jenny" was extremely helpful in identifying the various small plates and entries and house specialties. Very nice restaurant for a date, for friends, and for a fun time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good downtown restaurantejemplosDined on 7/14/2014Good dwontwon restaurant with an ample menu selection and great service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchTurkisheggsDined on 7/13/2014This past Sunday was my first dinning experience at The Copper Onion. I must say, it was amazing in both food (Turkish Eggs) and service, and plan to return for Dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!mamesbabesVIPDined on 7/7/2014Thanks to other Open Table reviews, we recently enjoyed a lovely dinner at the Copper Onion while we were in Salt Lake City. The food was incredible and the service friendly and helpful. The atmosphere was great and the place was full to capacity on a Monday night! Will definitely advise people visiting Salt Lake to enjoy a meal there. Just sorry I didn't have a chance to come back for a lunch!Special Features: