The Copper Door
2 Sullivan Street
Hayesville, NC 28904Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
The Copper Door
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecopperdoor.com/
- Phone: 8283898460
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Mon - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm CLOSED SUNDAY
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Dennis Barber
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Copper Door
Fine dining in Historic Hayesville, NC. We feature the finest steaks, fresh seafood and signature dishes to please the discerning palate at prices that won’t break your budget. Come enjoy the intimate atmosphere. Our attentive staff will anticipate your needs and insure that your dining experience is exceptional. We are one block west of the old Clay County Courthouse, next door to Square One Interiors by Design. The Hayesville Square is one of the few remaining old town squares in NC with unique shops and beautiful mountain scenery. We are two hours west of Asheville, two hours north of Atlanta and two hours east of Chattanooga. We look forward to your visit!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Copper Door - Best Restaurants in Hayesville ›
The Copper Door reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (123)neighborhood gem (94)romantic (93)notable wine list (76)fit for foodies (74)good for groups (23)hot spot (10)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014The occasion was my wife's 60th birthday. Service was EXCELLENT and the food was very good. The setting is very attractive and pleasing to the eye. Noise level is a little high for a person with hearing problems. We will return.Special Features:
- Upscale in a small townOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Great spot for an intimate dinner. Our server was friendly, attentive but not overbearing. She knew it was our anniversary and made us feel comfortable. Food was delicious and amble. This was our first experience here but not our last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I like this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014I have eaten here several times since opening. The food is always well-prepared and meets or exceeds expectations. Service is great. I would suggest some more choices in sides, more specials, more frequent menu changes, and an NC craft beer on tap (or two).Special Features:
- patandstevepttsrgDined on 10/13/2014One of the best dining experiences we've ever had. We come up to north Georgia every summer, and this was the first time at The Copper Door. We will be coming here often in the future. Everything was great. Nothing to criticizeSpecial Features:
- Part of a Girl's Weekend...BokchoybrittDined on 10/11/2014The starter was a crawfish crepe and it was very good. For the main, I had the filet with lobster & vegetables. The steak was the best I have ever had. The lobster was okay, but the cream sauce the lobster was smothered in, wasn't. I believe food should be allowed to stand out and stay true to their original flavors. The sauce did not do a thing for this lobster. BUT the steak was awesome! The veg was clearly an afterthought. My friend ordered the filet with crab. Same thing here. Crab was more like a crab salad and was placed on top of the steak. The wine list is comprehensive and diverse. Pros: Nice atmosphere, Diverse wine list, decent on service, GREAT steaks! Cons: Undereducated staff, a little pricey, not so great seafood.Special Features:
- Excellent!RosalieVIPDined on 10/10/2014Everything we ordered was excellent! Our drinks from the bar were perfect. The smoked salmon appetizer was delicious but could use a few more bread crisps with it. 3 is not enough. 6 would be perfect. The mushroom soup is still the best soup anywhere. The duck has been our favorite and still is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!MtnGal09Dined on 10/8/2014Excellent restaurant in an area without many options for this kind of dining. The food was exceptional and the atmosphere was just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/8/2014Celebrating my mom's 90th birthday so wanted everything to be nice. I have dined at Copper Door many times and this was the first time I was disappointed. We were seated and we waited 10 minutes and no one even acknowledged we were there after being seated by the hostess.My husband had to go back to the lobby to tell the hostess that no one had come to our table. The hostess was very apologetic and gave us our cocktails on the house which was appreciated. I ordered one of the specials-a prime rib. The meat was tough and flavorless. This is the first time I have not enjoyed my meal. Just did not have a good experience that night. The waitress was very nice and not her fault. I guess it was just an off night for them.Special Features:
- Mountain GemGloriaDined on 10/4/2014What a lovely restaurant nestled in a charming town in the mountains. This is truly a mountain gem fit for any city with style.Special Features:
- Russell and Gail YoungUsyoungsDined on 10/2/2014We enjoyed our night at the Copper Door on October 2nd. The food was terrific, the atmosphere was wonderful and the service was the best! David is a terrific waiter!! We would recommend The Copper Door to anyone who enjoys fine dining and everything that goes with it!!!Special Features:
- Great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014It was a very pleasant dining experience but then it always is at The Copper Door. It is one of our favs!Special Features:
- aisleofviewDined on 10/1/2014our filet steaks were cooked to perfection...exactly medium rare and my husband's rare. The vegetables were crisp tender, the potatoes nice and hot and the service was excellent. We came for my husband's birthday and were very pleased with the desserts , too. Thank you for a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful meal..great service!rltmd41Dined on 9/27/2014This was our third visit to The Copper Door and all have been fantastic. My filet was like butter and melted in your mouth! I told my husband it was the best steak I had ever eaten. We will be back next month with friends from Denver. Thanks also to David, our server, whom we requested. Great service.Special Features:
- Great recommendationsYoungharrisparentsDined on 9/25/2014The copper door was recommend to us by our hotel It did not disappointSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited vegetarian menuveggieloverDined on 9/23/2014The menu was well-crafted and explored a number of classic and new flavor combinations, although the vegetarian (non-pescatarian) will find options to be very limited, especially for entrees. That being said, the vegetable plate was good and the mushroom bisque lived up to its hype (WONDERFUL).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful venue in a small town.WolfieDined on 9/19/2014We were visiting relatives in the area and we're told they had heard only rave reviews on Copper Door so we went. Mark our waiter was fabulous. The food was extraordinary and couldn't have enjoyed our evening more. We will certainly return to Copper Door if we're in the area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in the mountainsHappyTrailsDined on 9/18/2014Food was first-rate, eloquently presented by a professional staff, well versed in menu and extensive wine list. Mells sophistication with the innocence of small town Americana. Such a variety of entrees! Must haves: baked Brie and the wild mushroom soup. One of the many reasons we love mountain life. A true gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ARBTRAVELERDined on 9/17/2014Outstanding. Best in North Georgia. My ribeye was the best ever. My wife's cod was superb. Andrew Smith was an outstanding server. Have already made reservations to return.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnermomoftwirlsDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I went for dinner on an anniversary trip in the N. Ga mountains. It was a wonderful experience. Everything we ate was fantastic and our service was outstanding as well. We loved the ambiance within the restaurant, quite the gem in Hayesville, NC. The chef even wrote a card for our anniversary and had it sitting on our table when we arrived! Thankful that my parents recommended this place to us!Special Features:
- Best in WNCJcooperDined on 9/12/2014Great food and great service, without question the best in western North Carolina. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Second visitmkkoDined on 9/11/2014At the servers' recommendation tried the salmon on bed of spinach with caramelized onions and sun dried tomatoes - lightly sauced and hubby had cesar salad entree with blackened salmon. Both perfectly prepared. Love the ambiance with traditional dark paneled walls and large stone fireplace. Facility is impeccably clean and staff is knowledgeable and welcoming. On our first visit had a beef tenderloin filet and it was a quality filet prepared as requested. My new fav place in this neck of the woodsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteRinaKDined on 9/10/2014This is our go-to restaurant for any special occasion or when we just want to feel special. The service is excellent and so is the food. Always an enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- The Copper Door - Best in AreaShandyBearDined on 9/10/2014Went for a special birthday dinner. Service was terrific, (Andrew). Food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!Foodie8687Dined on 9/9/2014Our server, Kari, was outstanding, the food divine, and the atmosphere cozy. If you are looking for a place with exceptional service and food, The Cooper Door is the place to be.Special Features:
- 20RickRJenkDined on 9/9/2014Excellent meal! Group of 8 with many different meals, ALL fantastic. Had all 7 of the deserts and none disappointed. Great service and just a great evening. I would highly recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotATLgirlkdDined on 9/6/2014This was an amazing find for a date night in the mountains on our away-from-the-city mini-vacation. They had great food, service, and ambiance!Special Features:
- Delightful surpriseDurness98Dined on 9/6/2014We made reservations at The Copper Door on the recommendation of friends and were so pleasantly surprised to find such a quality restaurant hidden in a small NC town. We would rank this restaurant with any of the quality restaurants in Atlanta with one wonderful difference: it was missing the noise and crowding of tables. We ate much more than we should have because the food was so well-prepared and flavorful. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- 55th birthday dinnerbirthdayDined on 9/6/2014Staying at Brasstown Valley Resort for my husband's 55th birthday. I looked for a nice restaurant for his birthday dinner and decided on The Copper Door. We were not disappointed! The service was excellent and the food was the best!!!!! We were treated like royalty. Everyone greeted is and said Happy Birthday to my husband. A birthday card on the table from the chef. Thanked us for coming and again wished my husband a Happy Birthday when we left. We stay in this area several times a year. We will come back to this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true dining experience.PunQDined on 9/6/2014We go to Copper Door a couple of times a year on special occasions. The menu has quality choices and the food is always outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Want my steak cooked the way I wantabcdefgDined on 8/30/2014Waitress was very personable and attentive. We ordered the 8 oz. filet. We specifically asked to have it cooked so that it was pink (no red). I dine out frequently and know every restaurant has a different idea of what cooked "medium" means so we stated to have it cooked so there would be no red. Steak arrived red. We asked to have it cooked more. It arrived again red. I felt the chef purposely did not cook it anymore. This time we kept the potato and vegetable so my daughter could eat while we sent it back for a 2nd time. 3rd time the steak arrived perfectly cooked .. everyone else had finished eating. The waitress took the cost of that entrée off the bill. In the end we were happy. How else should I order a steak if we want it pink?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysEatHereDined on 8/30/2014Had a great time, a great feast and awesome service by David.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014It was out engagement dinner the server wasnt very personable he was shory and to the point as we questioned the menu for dinner. The food was bland and room temperature when broughy yo the table. For what the meal cost it should of been exquisite
- Best restaurant within 100 milesRandyLDined on 8/29/2014It's amazing that such a terrific restaurant would be located in Hayesville. We drive from Blairsville. The Copper Door is the only restaurant in the area that is close to being a 5 star restaurant. It's on par with Ruth's Chris or Shula's. Everything they serve is delicious from the steaks to the bread pudding. We love this place.Special Features:
- A hidden gem!luvthecopperdoorDined on 8/27/2014The Copper Door is one of our favorite restaurants even among Atlanta restaurants. It is tucked away in a small town on the NC/GA border, but it is well worth the drive to find this hidden gem. The ambiance can be romantic for two, but lively enough for a group. We have always had very personal service. The food is over the top gourmet. Dennis the chef provides delicious food with exquisite sauces. The scallops are consistently good as are the crab cakes. The decadence chocolate cake was a fabulous 911 experience. It takes us an hour to drive there from our cabin but it is worth every mile. We just celebrated an anniversary there and would recommend it for those special occasions. We'll be back soon!Special Features:
- Dining in the MountainsExNYGourmetDined on 8/23/2014Really difficult to find really good dining experiences in SE North Carolina, thought it would be an absolute winner but somewhat disappointed. Ambience is very nice but noise level way too high. My waitress/server was very professional and had good knowledge of the menu. I ordered a side Cesar salad to start, well flavored and decent size for a side salad. My entree was a tenderloin topped with crab meat ordered medium & served with a starch & a vegetable . The tenderloin was served on the rare side and the crabmeat was mixed with too much bread crumbs. The mashed sweet potato was very tasty. The veggie mix was okay. I had a Grey Goose on the rocks and. Was surprised to see a $11.50 price, pricey for the area.Special Features:
- finefindDined on 8/18/2014Everything was outstanding, as always. Would always recommend and go as often as possible. Thanks so much.Special Features:
- Good for that special mealdiningduoDined on 8/16/2014Nice to have such a good restaurant in small town NCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Eveningsrp0939Dined on 8/16/2014Second time I have had dinner here and I was not surprised how outstanding everything was. I drove 120 miles round trip to have dinner there and I will gladly do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUPERBTrishDined on 8/16/2014I've dined at The Copper Door and it always rises above my expectations. The food is fantastic, the ambience beautiful, and the servers are always helpful and the overall service blows any other establishment away. Chef Dennis's food creations are fabulous, and I would never imagine dining anywhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great resource for HaysvilleMaconCountyfolksDined on 8/16/2014Food was great but then again it always is. The rib eye will melt in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.