32 Lafayette Circle
Lafayette, CA 94549Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thecooperagelafayette.com/
- Phone: (925) 298-5915
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Erik Hopfinger
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Mt. Diablo Blvd.
- Public Transit: 1.5 blocks from Downtown Lafayette BART station
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: At The Cooperage, we are pleased to offer our guests valet parking Thursday through Saturday. Please enter the parking lot from Lafayette Circle and drive up to the valet station in The Cooperage/Fiesta Lane parking lot.
There is also parking available in the Fiesta Lane parking lot.
A word from The Cooperage
The Cooperage American Grille, locally owned by Lafayette Residents, Andrew and Merilee McCormick, is a rotisserie-inspired American grill. Chef Partner Erik Hopfinger's extensive menu features American favorites like slow roasted chicken prepared in a glass-encased rotisserie oven, New York steak, beef tenderloin, and our signature burger (made with our own meat grinder at the grill). The Cooperage also offers healthier options, including a selection of salad entreés made with local and organically grown ingredients.Continued
The Cooperage is comfortable for families dining with children and features a large bar area with flat screen TV's, 12 beers on tap, eight wine selections on tap, and vintage cocktail list.
The Cooperage is comfortable for families dining with children and features a large bar area with flat screen TV's, 12 beers on tap, eight wine selections on tap, and vintage cocktail list.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Cooperage - Best Restaurants in Lafayette ›
The Cooperage reviews from OpenTable diners
446 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (299)neighborhood gem (203)vibrant bar scene (157)hot spot (153)great for lunch (146)fit for foodies (134)good for groups (123)great for brunch (85)kid-friendly (72)special occasion (64)notable wine list (44)late-night find (16)romantic (16)Show More
- Loud and unevenLarryZVIPDined on 10/31/2014Without asking, the hostess seated us in the very noisy bar area. Between the loud music and the bar patrons talking over it, it was hard to carry on a conversation, though that meant more time to appreciate the decor. My french onion soup was decidedly lackluster, with none of that oniony vibrancy I was expecting. My braised beef short ribs, on the other hand, was soft, flavorful, and well-balanced by the accompaniments. Neither of my wife's dishes (salad, then halibut) was either particularly impressive nor objectionable. Service was reasonably responsive, though the bussing was uneven (I was twice asked if I was done when I wasn't, but a completely empty plate sat around for a while.) A fine experience, but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rustic yet ModernEBFoodNWineGuyDined on 10/31/2014This was our third visit to The Cooperage. The service keeps improving each time we go. If you don't mind the great electricity and livelihood, it is a fun place to hook up with friends or catch a game on the many Big Screens! The food seems to be getting better and better each visit. This time my wife and I stopped in for lunch. The selections offered were nice though the Lunch Menu appeared to be a tad bit limited (Only 4-5 Entree Items). My wife had The Cooperage Burger and I ordered the Reuben. Our appetizer was the Potato Leek Soup which was highlight of the meal! Absolutely delicious! Lafayette was in need of another good dining option & The Cooperage Lafayette definitely helps fill that void. I would definitely recommend them!Special Features:
- Nice but NoisyJohnDined on 10/30/2014The food was good and the portions generous; one member of our party of four had the pork chop which was so large she could not finish. My rotisserie chicken came with two generous pieces, plus mashed potatoes and broccolini (minor complaint, the stalks were a bit tough). The menu was extensive, something for everyone. Prices were average - the bill for two of us with iced tea ($3), salad, and entree came to $59 before tax and tip. No comment on dessert as we did not have any. Main downside was the noise which spilled over from the bar area to the dining room; perhaps it was worse than usual this evening because of a major game on TV.Special Features:
- DisappointingTravelgurudanvilleVIPDined on 10/29/2014We ordered the recommended Brussels sprout and poached egg salad. The egg was hard. We then both ordered the chicken breast sandwich with fries. The sandwich was very good, although a little dry. The "fries" in the nicely packaged container did not contain one normal potato fry. Rather it was a container filled with bits and pieces of fried coating and potato crumbs. The waitress was rushing us, constantly pushing us to order another glass of $16 wine and then had the audacity to take our chips bag off our plate, put it on the table, in order to clean our table. All this for a $100 tab. They won't see us again!Special Features:
- overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/28/2014Food was ok. Prime Rib was bland and the Shrimp and Grits was wrongfully seasoned. Over rated in my opinion.
- Brunch on the patiolenalu13Dined on 10/26/2014Their huevos rancheros are a hit with our son, has had it 3 times now with the same excellent result. My husband is in love withe the Reubens and morning potatoes. The Brown derby salad was delicious.Special Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 10/25/2014Food is good if you like red meat but they should offer more choices for non red meat eaters. Their brussel sprouts salad is the BEST with out the egg on top. Their chicken that is suppose to be a signature dish lacks in flavor. Their booths are very small to sit comfortably.Special Features:
- Good food, but too noisyLetMeDineInPeaceDined on 10/25/2014We happened to go to this restaurant during the world series game. Neither my wife nor I are baseball fans, and asked not to be seated near the bar, but this is the only place they had tables. Basically, the din of being surrounded by fans and large screen TV's greatly diminished the ambiance of the dining experience. The wait staff had apparently never heard the adage "be seen but not heard," and were constantly interrupting to check up on us, and were not very flexible when it came to substitutions (even though we offered to pay for them). The food was good, the decor quite upscale, but not a very good dining experience especially for the price.Special Features:
- Great local spotLafayettehomieDined on 10/24/2014excellent food, service and ambiance! Perfect spot for a nice meal over a glass of wine. Try one of their signature cocktails. I'm not a big drinker, but theirs are not to be missed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AmbianceJohnnyDDined on 10/24/2014I spent time hear with a friend and we really enjoyed the surroundings, service and food. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Lunch with old friendsmamanDined on 10/24/2014A good friend and I brought a friend for lunch. Our friend has had multiple health problems and the staff was very attentive to her limitations. It was appreciated. We all are happy to see you are thriving and have replaced a very tired space!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hurried Out by ServersRushedDined on 10/23/2014We had a 2 pm lunch and servers (waiter and bus person, both) kept clearing the table to get us to leave. There was no one waiting for our table. They just wanted to be done with us. Food and timing of receiving food was fine.
- Great lunchLyleDined on 10/23/2014Took a friend here for lunch. I had the brown derby salad and she had the shrimp salad. Both were very good sized and delicious. The service was attentive without being intrusive. We lingered for quite a while after eating and paying the bill and no one seemed to want to "turn" the table. In fact they continued to refill our ice teas and waters. We will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evolving Neighborhood Hot SpotTheStarLadyVIPDined on 10/22/2014On a warm night it’s lovely to sit outside on the patio where ample heaters are provided.The inside is loud with a jumping bar. The manager, Heather, and server, Anabella, are first class. Loved the evening special ahi starter with crisp won tons splashed with cilantro. The house salad of mixed greens, glazed nuts, and goat cheese is lovely. The grilled chicken sandwich with a side of fries is truly big enough for two. The flavor of the pork entrée was fantastic and the portion huge, although I would have enjoyed a few vegetables on the side instead of just a big plate of meat. I’d like to see a bigger selection of seafood on the menu as well as duck and lamb as well as a more frequent menu change, at least seasonally. Ho Ho was great!Special Features:
- Introduced SF friend to CooperageLTKTDined on 10/22/2014My girlfriend and I meet once a year on our birthdays. We both are careful with our eating most of the time. I loved tag I could order my salad with no croutons and enjoy a flavorful but "clean" preparation of the roast chicken and my favorite broccolini that you serve! No guilt and delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rascashewDined on 10/20/2014The Cooperage was embarrassing, took an out-of-town friend and waited over a half hour after ordering only to be told they overcooked his steak and it would be longer. The steal finally came, OVERCOOKED. Far too loud and not enough cooks to serve a place with 250 seats. This is the second bad experience at the cooperage and our last.
- Disappointing birthday lunchdeevDined on 10/20/2014I took my mother here for her birthday and she was disappointed because items listed on the website were no longer available for lunch. They need to update the site when they change items, and what was more frustrating, is that the old lunch menu listing the grilled shrimp and grits was posted in the menu board outside of the restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014Service at the hostess desk and waitstaff is terrible. Very rude.Special Features:
- DiningInTownBB55Dined on 10/17/2014We made the reservation for a special family occasion. The place was quite nice and outsized with separate dining rooms. Unfortunately, we had to be seated in the bar lounge for dining. The room change required 45 minutes wait. To make matters worse, our server was very busy and inattentive. Obviously, she was quite overwhelmed by serving the whole bar lounge area on her own!! Took a longtime to put in the order and get served. However, the food was quite good. Maybe, we get a better server next time!Special Features:
- just okOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/17/2014quality of food was mediocre, however the service was outstanding
- Good food, decent atmosphereNotaditzVIPDined on 10/17/2014We had such a great time before, thought we'd bring our out-of-towners with us. Unfortunately, the dessert (apple cobbler) was sent back TWICE - you really shouldn't do a dessert if you don't know how (cobbler is hard to get hot in the middle without burning the outside). Other food was great! Server seemed to have an attitude, but we expressed our dissatisfaction in the tip. Could have been an off-night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday lunch!acesoVIPDined on 10/16/2014We celebrated a birthday here, and it was wonderful! The food and service were outstanding. They really went out of their way to make it fun for us. Such a great find - can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Improved servicediningaroundtownDined on 10/15/2014We first tried the Cooperage 3-4 months ago and found the hostess(es) to be rude and dismissive. They chatted with each other and ignored us then said the wait would be over 40 min. We decided to give the restaurant another chance this week & found it to be much less crowded and the service much more pleasant. The food was average, but fresh and perhaps a bit expensive for what one gets. The outdoor area is very nice. I would do lunch there again, but probably not dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too slow - something has changedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/12/2014Have been a number of times - normally very good but the last two times there has been slow to poor service. Not sure what has happened but it needs to be fixed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- BRUNCHFoodieDined on 10/12/2014Brunch was great.......nice weather.....sat outsideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but noisyRobSDined on 10/11/2014Great service! I mean, truly great service, but the layout of the restaurant, especially where we were seated towards the back, was like an airport terminal traffic-wise. The whole back should be given over to bar service and bar food and true sit-down service should be relegated to the front.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerBayareafoodieVIPDined on 10/11/2014I do love this restaurant! This was my 3 time visiting and would go back. We were celebrating my boyfriends birthday and I mentioned that to the hostess that called me the day before to confirm my reservation, I had requested a quieter table. That's truly my only issue with this restaurant, it is a very noisy restaurant and they definitely do not have enough seating for just 2 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/11/2014The shrimp and grits looked promising but the shrimp was overlooked and the grits undercooked. The special pumpkin pasta was doughy and unappealling. The salads bland. It was very disappointing. We won't be going back.Special Features:
- Great food...service questionablePappajackDined on 10/11/2014We enjoy going to The Cooperage as the food is great. The 3 cheese mach&cheese is the best I've had around the north bay. Simply delicious. The problem was that we originally set the reservations for 4 and within 10 minutes updated it to 6 using the edit function, however when we got there, they never received the change and we had to wait to get a table. The waiter (Aaron) was really great during the meal, however left us sitting for half an hour waiting for him to take an order for desert while the table next to us came in after us, ate their meal and left while we still waited patiently. Finally had to ask for the check. I have to say it's a great place to eat and we will definitely keep going back.Special Features:
- What a wonderful surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014We used Open Table for reservations. Received a return e-mail plus phone call confirmation. Wow! We arrived on time and went directly to our reserved table on the patio. Our server knew his stuff and paid just enough attention to us. The pot roast and pumpkin ravioli were wonderful! Wine list was perfect for us. Parking was no problem. Kudos to staff and cooks for making our evening a great experience. We were impressed with The Cooperage and have put it on our top list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!SwsermenoVIPDined on 10/11/2014We stopped here on our way to a Cal football game. While the menu is more lunch than brunch, the food was great! My husband had the huevos rancheros and I had the eggs Benedict mexicana. Both were fabulous! We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great every timeKristinVIPDined on 10/10/2014This was our 4th time eating here, and each time has been perfect! It's one ofSpecial Features:
- There for my birthdayNowIm60Dined on 10/10/2014Service was great. . They wanted to seat us next to the bar but my 94 year old mother was with us and that was to noisy. We waited while they set up a table in the board room. .Much Better. We shared 2 salads for 4 people.. cauliflower soup was good but a bit overwhelming. .I ordered the Waygu Skirt Steak.. Was disappointed in the chewieness and sent it back. She agreed to replace with filet but she brought me prime rib.. it was a much better piece of meat. . It was a busy night..2 large parties in banquet rooms. .But the board room was much quieter. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoorsBigredDined on 10/6/2014service was very slow. waiter never introduced the soup special or tried to add on or upsale. she never checked on our food until we were almost doneSpecial Features:
- GeorgeGeorgeDined on 10/5/2014Except for the noise level an excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Just okDavidVIPDined on 10/5/2014Nice set-up, great outside seating. Service is good. Food is average at best. Fair for the price point and could clearly be improved. Probably a better lunch place than dinner and better for families than couples wanting a romantic night out. So many great places in Lafayette, Walnut Creek, Orinda and Danville that provide amazing food at or just above the price point at Cooperage.Special Features:
- Great date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014- Food was great, cocktails were amazing, food was delightful, and had a wonderful evening with my wife...Special Features:
- Disappointing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014My crab and shrimp salad had way too little crab and shrimp and way too much bread. One limp piece of lettuce and two mostly-yellow tomato slices. I had to ask for an ice tea refill after waiting at least 15 minutes. I've been there once before and will not go back again. It's too expensive, and all the TVs provide lots of unpleasant, jarring visual and audible noise.Special Features:
- Best brunch in townBandTconvertVIPDined on 10/4/2014Cooperage may be known for their dinner/beer/bar scene, but their brunch is fantastic. Sitting on the outdoor patio is a great option with many good tables. Service is not the smoothest, but generally cheerful and accomodating. The hostess staff can be a bit gruff and can tend to big-time you even with reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Was DisappointingDisappointedVIPDined on 10/3/2014My wife and I had dined twice for lunch and were impressed with food, service and way they handled allergies. We brought the kids for dinner and the experience was well below our expectations. First of all it took two hours to eat dinner, too long for a family of 5. The server was very good and was very dilligent with our order we have several allergies to deal with. The first rib eye steak they brought for my wife and daughter was so salty it had to be sent back. They did quickly replace it. We had the chocoloate dessert that is gluten and dairy free that we had twice before, we were disappointed this time. The cake was salty the chocolate was very had an difficult to eat. We had hoped we had found a new place to frequent often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.