The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace
41 Mary Street
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.vanderbiltgrace.com/conservatory.php
- Phone: (401) 846-6200
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm ; Dinner: Monday - Sunday 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Cartwright
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace
PERFECT FOR INFORMAL DINING is the Conservatory restaurant at the Vanderbilt Grace in Newport, Rhode Island - a transformation of the former Vanderbilt Hall by Grace Hotels. The bright and airy Conservatory offers lighter meals in lovely informal surroundings and is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Conservatory"s picture windows offer lovely views of Newport town historic Trinity Church, built in 1725 based on designs by Sir Christopher Wren. The Conservatory also serves cocktails and food in the Vanderbilt Grace's garden terrace. This oasis of calm is just minutes from the town center yet transports you into another world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (16)great for outdoor dining (16)neighborhood gem (16)romantic (14)special occasion (14)great for lunch (14)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (6)scenic view (5)good for groups (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Enjoyed restaurant wk. Had best server in NewportGreatDined on 11/16/2014My friends and I enjoyed a wonderful RW menu/meal. Having had experienced 7 Newport restaurants during this RW, I found Conservatory's to offer the best well-rounded menu of all. The pork ragout was out of this world (and I am a connoisseur if ragout). I also enjoyed the wine pairing! Following a discussion about how poorly trained we have found most Newport servers, Ariel proved us wrong - shattering every stereotype we had articulated. Ariel was fun, energetic, aimed to please, in-tune with each of us... She made eye contact when speaking (moving around the table to do so) and intuitively knew when to interrupt and when not... Most servers -- when food is placed before you -- ask if 'everything is okay' before you have a chance to know if something is missing. Then, they disappear. Ariel not only came back, she returned multiple times. She anticipated our needs and proactively recommended options and solutions. We unanimously agreed we'd return. Not only because the food was excellent, but because Airel made our experience our best in Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Had a great lunch during Restaurant Week. Will come back again as we live in Portsmouth (RI). ThanksSpecial Features:
- We went for restaurant week and we'll go back.glh3VIPDined on 11/14/2014What a treat for lunch. Quahog clam bake, crab cake and dessert with paired wines. Excellent food and service. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING ~attention to detail w presentation!JoanFranDined on 11/13/2014Went with 3 friends during restaurant week. One friend had recommend the restaurant. She had been there on 2 other occasions and stated the food was "Great". We were not dissappointed. The waitstaff could not have been more attentive. The food was well prepared with attention to detail w/ the presentation. We were all impressed! We are planning MORE get togethers there in the future. Truely a "Newport Gem".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mealPatriciaVIPDined on 11/12/2014Food and presentation of the food was absolutely superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very cozy and quietAiredaleVIPDined on 11/10/2014The food was very good (went for lunch during restaurant week and was impressed for the price, not sure how much it would have normally cost) but you are essentially eating in a fairly small greenhouse at the back of the hotel. So, quite cozy and very quiet. Seemed to be a little stuffy, which is fine if it's the middle of summer and you're full of tourists paying a lot for their hotel rooms. For locals, during the week, it might be a little much and it isn't a place where you could have a working lunch due to the small size. I'm torn on this one - food and service were good but atmosphere was a little heavy for off season lunching in Newport.
- npt2dineDined on 11/9/2014Our first time there as we would only venture forth when most of the tourists are gone. Beautiful building and great experience.Special Features:
- Great FoodDateDined on 11/7/2014The food served was excellent and made up for the ambiance and service. The room was cold and lacked character. Great for summertime dinning, but could he some outdoor lighting, a rug, and soft music for fall and winter. The service was a bit slow and seemed like many servers were new. I would go back for the food, but there are many other resturants in Newport that have great food, great service, and a nice atmosphere so to sure it is worth a second trip. Maybe in the summer.Special Features:
- Away from the touristsLuv2eatVIPDined on 10/13/2014Actually we were the tourists who grossly underestimated the time needed to complete the cliff walk and get back to the car. Anyway, we found ourselves starving and tired and this place was a life saver. They accommodated us for a very late lunch at 2:30 pm while making us feel welcome. Outstanding service and a very relaxed setting at a nice hotel. Plan to be hotel guests next time we decide on a weekend getaway in Newport. My 10 year old son really like the Wagyu burger. Crab cake salad was very good as was the pizza appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014A must-do while in Newport. First you must go for a drink on the rooftop of the Vanderbilt-Grace to view the sunset over the harbor. Then, have dinner in the garden of the Conservatory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly Recommend!DinerDined on 9/27/2014Had a family reunion dinner in The Conservatory's outdoor terrace - a great location on a beautiful autumn night. Reasonably priced wine list and really excellent food. Three of us had grilled salmon with roasted cauliflower and curry, and two of us had the crab cake. All of us loved our entrees and desserts too. Wait staff was very friendly, though a little overloaded with customers. They seemed to be doing double-duty inside at The Muse that night. The fire pit was lit just as the sun started to go down. All in all a wonderful dining experience in a lovely, relaxing setting. After dinner, we all went up to the roof top bar - a bit small, but great views of Newport. Check this one out!Special Features:
- MrsMMDined on 9/26/2014We ate outside and enjoyed the lovely gardens and fountain. Perfect for a fall evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOzcathyDined on 9/26/2014I have eaten here in the past and thoroughly enjoyed the food, and the service was excellent. This time not so. The menu had changed and the server was not well informed regarding gluten-free choices. The GF bread brought to the table was stale and inedible. The well done burger was still pink. We were the only 2 people in the restaurant and it still took 40 minutes to get our lunch of a simple burger and salmon. Based on this visit I would not recommend.
- Great food, long waits for drinksnomdecenaVIPDined on 9/5/2014We dined on a Friday and sat outside. The setting was beautiful in the well-groomed courtyard; spectacular view of Congregational church steeple against moonlit, slightly foggy sky. Only menu was $55/person fixed price family style barbecue: lobster, chicken, salmon, and mussel. It was excellent. Sides were spectacular, particularly the green salad with lemon poppy dressing, baked beans with brown sugar, and an unbelievable potato salads. Dessert was a superb plate of grilled peaches and watermelon with whipped cream. Service was polite and responsive when in attendance, which unfortunately wasn't often. Very long waits for drinks, including one long stretch where one of the two waitresses twice volunteered they were on the way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgot menu changeboatnikDined on 8/31/2014We booked the place based on the menu. It was a windy night and they offered us to seat inside or out. Inside area was small so with two kids we sat outside. When the waiter arrive he informed us of a Sunday night barbeque for labor day. We booked the place based on their menu, then we were surprised to hear of the $65.00 per person barbeque and $37.00 for children. If we would have seen that the only menu was a barbeque we would have went somewhere else. Food was average, drinks expensive and the view well basically enclosed back yard with the only view of the pool. We picked up one of the last reservations on open table but when we arrived on time there was nobody in the restaurant. We finished dinner and only two other tables were taken.Special Features:
- A quiet dinnerOroroinaDined on 8/21/2014Calm and lovely stay; good food; careful service and nice set.Special Features:
- DisappointedSuzyQVIPDined on 8/10/2014I was optimistic based on reviews, but unfortunately this was the worst meal I ate during my 4 days in RI. My cosmopolitan was very pink and not good, and meal ordinary, to be kind. We had called to change our reservation from 7- 7.30 and this was a big problem, only solved fortunately,by a last minute cancellation by someone else. Imagine how puzzled we were to find the place nearly empty. There a very loud foursome arrived. Where did the waitress put them? Right squashed up next to us...it was hard to carry on a conversation. The garden is charming and if they had candles. Could be special in the evening. Instead they brought us a 4 beam battery light, which was way too bright, and totally lacking in any charm or sensibility
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Wonderful environment but poor experience with one of their food items. My boyfriend and I had gotten burgers -- mine medium well, his medium *rare*. Both of them came out very well done and dry. The buns were so hard (which I understand is the intent on how this restaurant chooses to create their meals) and dry as well. It was difficult to eat and I ended up having to eat mine with a fork and knife! Our waitress was fantastic and the ambience was great! I also had a cup of clam chowder with their homemade oyster crackers which were yummy. Would definitely try again but definitely would not order the burger or just ask for straight up rare if they cook a medium rare to such a crisp.Special Features:
- The following 153 reviews are from the The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace reviews archive.
- A hidden gemLeslieDined on 7/16/2014We read the reviews of this restaurant, in the charming Vanderbilt Grace Hotel, and weren't so sure it would be all it was reported, but it was! Beautiful setting, nobody there, great food (I didn't give it 5 stars as it wasn't especially creative but it was delicious!). Service was wonderful; nobody hovered, but when we needed something it came right away. Would be wonderful for a romantic dinner, or even a business lunch if you needed quiet.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningOpenTabledevoteeVIPDined on 7/11/2014We happened upon Friday night BBQ at the Conservatory, and while we might have preferred a different meal, the care with which this family-style served meal was presented trumped our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/8/2014this is a great spot in a noteworthy hotel. The rooftop bar is unmatched in newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect is the wordlkinflDined on 7/3/2014Took a workmate to lunch to celebrate 30 years on the job. Lunch at The Conservatory was the perfect place to do so. From the Processco, salad, and pizza to the marvelous dessert, all added to the celebration. Thanks to our server who acknowledged the occasion. Top notch place for lunch. If you haven't been, you must. I have returned many times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014best salmon, bagel and cream cheese i have ever had. ambience was quiet, beautiful and romantic, service was great and the vanderbilt is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After the BeachAjH1VIPDined on 6/7/2014This was my second time and the food, ambiance and setting were perfect. Alyssa, our server suggested an amazing dessert...you'll have to ask when you get there because I forgot the name...it was a chocolate mousse and coconut froth. It was a bit chilly the night we were there and the staff answered that challenge by offering blankets to every diner...nice touch!Special Features:
- Relaxed but specialharryVIPDined on 6/7/2014Wanted to have a simple but good meal at a neighborhood hot spot and was not at all disappointed. Beautiful location in a historic property offering delicious food at a reasonable price served by extremely friendly staff!!! I'll be going back!Special Features:
- Way too loud!HappyVIPDined on 5/25/2014Went to dinner with my husband for a night out. Wine menu unimpressive and only served by the glass. Server was fine but they started moving furniture all around us to set up for a large party that had made reservations 2 months ago and it was very distracting. Party arrived with 8 adults (one table) and 9 kids at another table. Party was super loud and my husband and I couldn't hear each other at all. We hurried through dinner and left. They needed to shut down to accommodate large family instead of ruining dinner for the rest of us.
- Disappointing!! Not a good value!JanBDined on 5/25/2014This was our first visit to this restaurant. We arrived a little early and were offered drinks from the bar three times which we declined each time. This restaurant has a "haughty" air about it but has nothing to be "haughty" about. Our food was good but the menu is very "limited". Our server appeared to either be very "new" or extremely timid and could not really answer questions about the menu. I was appalled when we received the bill and they had charged me $4.00 for each glass of tea that I had (I only had two). The tea was served in a tall, slender glass so there couldn't have been more than 4-5 ounces of tea in each glass. We were offered desserts but all of them were $10 each and I didn't see that any of them would be worth $10.
- 3rd time is the charm?PebblesDined on 5/17/2014This was our 3rd meal at this lovely location. It is a great alternative to the seasonal Muse that would be more of a special occasion take for most I think. Service was lacking but staff was young and need training. An improvement here may bring in the diner looking for the total experience. Food is always great and quality better for the price. We will back next year or sooner next time we visit Newport. Enjoy!Special Features:
- MamieVIPDined on 5/10/2014We always enjoy our dining experience at The Conservatory at the Vanderbilt Grace.Special Features:
- Lovely!dandy0891VIPDined on 5/8/2014If you like the feel of being in Newport than Vanderbilt Grace is the place to dine. It is right in the middle of town, perfect to walk to from anywhere downtown. You feel like you stepped right into a lovely summer home in the mid 1930's. Loved it and the food was great.Special Features:
- Lovely birthdayRIRedDined on 5/3/2014We celebrated a quiet and romantic birthday supper with a simple, elegant meal of mussels, a beautiful chicken dish. Service impeccable, and special diet needs swiftly accommodated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and relaxing lunchCapeTomDined on 5/2/2014The Conservatory is a beautiful place for lunch. You can sit outside or in the atrium. The staff is wonderful...efficient and friendly. There are always nice choices for food. The food is outstanding and reasonable. We really enjoy it there and always go upstairs to the roof deck, with a drink, to enjoy the amazing view of the harbor.Special Features:
- Raw salmon but enjoyable overallStevenVIPDined on 4/18/2014My salmon came out raw and I mean raw. The chef refired it and that time is was perfect (even though it wasn't a new plate). Unfortunately my date had to eat alone while I waited. Overall an enjoyable dining experience. Servers were extremely pleasant and attentive. Moved to the Muse bar after dinner and had a couple drinks. The bartender was great and made an excellent Old Fashioned. The two desks outside the Conservatory (where it seemed the entire hotel staff congregates during down time) made dining in the conservatory a little uncomfortable at times. Maybe a break room for the staff would be a plus.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Maahvelous!andyyDined on 4/12/2014Everything about the place is exquisite. food, service, and ambiance all score a 10. Even the landlocked view is impressive. Ve'll be baack. PS. Every member of the staff can vie for Mr / Ms congeniality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch At Vanderbilt GraceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2014Went for Newport restaurant week and had lunch in the conservatory. Excellent food and service. Portions were very large and the restaurant did not skimp just because it was RW.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week favoriteAxelVIPDined on 4/10/2014The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace was out favorite during Newport Restaurant Week. The tree course lunch was with a glass of Los Caneros sparkling wine sitting in the spring sunlight filled winter garden was an elegant affaire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConservatorySheilaDined on 4/6/2014The food and ambience was excellent. Our server was helpful and efficient.Special Features:
- Newport Restaurant Week gemfoodieVIPDined on 4/6/2014Having never been to The Conservatory previously, we are delighted to have had the opportunity thanks to the restaurant week special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekGladridgeDined on 4/5/2014Made 5:00 dinner reservations. However they would only serve from the lunch menu. Wouldn't budge. Open table reservation said dinner. Very unfriendly. Dine in Newport all the time - don't need to return to this one.
- Are you being served?LarkDined on 4/4/2014Well ... if you like to complain about wait staff and lack of attention to detail from the the kitchen....... DO NOT dine here! You will be lost for words.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.