The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace
41 Mary Street
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.vanderbiltgrace.com/conservatory.php
- Phone: (401) 846-6200
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm ; Dinner: Monday - Sunday 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Cartwright
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace
PERFECT FOR INFORMAL DINING is the Conservatory restaurant at the Vanderbilt Grace in Newport, Rhode Island - a transformation of the former Vanderbilt Hall by Grace Hotels. The bright and airy Conservatory offers lighter meals in lovely informal surroundings and is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Conservatory"s picture windows offer lovely views of Newport town historic Trinity Church, built in 1725 based on designs by Sir Christopher Wren. The Conservatory also serves cocktails and food in the Vanderbilt Grace's garden terrace. This oasis of calm is just minutes from the town center yet transports you into another world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (16)great for outdoor dining (16)neighborhood gem (16)romantic (14)special occasion (14)great for lunch (14)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (6)scenic view (5)good for groups (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Outstanding Dining ExperiencetheopratrDined on 7/13/2013Absolutely wonderful food, top-notch service and surprisingly reasonable prices in a beautiful, private environment. The perfect spot to take a hot date!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemMaryFranVIPDined on 7/13/2013We discovered this Gem last year during the week we spent going to Tennis Hall of Fame events. We have been back many times and tell people about it if they say they are heading to Newport. The Rooftop bar and view are wonderful also. Recommend for a romantic date night!Special Features:
- very nicedaveVIPDined on 7/6/2013quiet, great ambiance, food and service was perfect.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice location, but only acceptableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/1/2013Quiet location for lunch with a friend and the service was terrific. The food was disappointing in general. The menu had interesting options, but we found the execution only so-so. Crab cakes were very full of filling, not much crab. The mini flatbread pizza was the best option ordered.
- Nice restaurantCampDined on 6/27/2013We dined here recently for the first time. It's in a great location-just up the street from Brick Market. The flat bread pizza was great. The lobster mac & cheese was also very good. The service was great-very attentive. We will definitely return-a nice little restaurant.Special Features:
- Just a short block from Newport'sSBG900VIPDined on 6/22/2013Just a short block from Newport's frantic twenty something scene --- and what a pleasure! Small restaurant in an elegant hotel, gracious staff. Lovely. We had the most wonderful cheese platter for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not GreatJBL247VIPDined on 6/22/2013For what the Conservatory wants to be / presumes to be, it needs to improve. Our dinner was good, the outside setting very pleasant, but basics were missed. We both had Caesar salad; we both came to the conclusion that the salad was served without the dressing or at best with much to little dressing. Although the salad and drinks were served quickly, the main course, coffee, and check incurred noticeable delays. I did look at the Martini menu and was surprised to find pricing that matched or exceeded New York prices. Yes, this is Newport in the summer, but the pricing was excessive for the state of quality of the restaurant. The Conservatory may someday justify that kind of pricing, but not today.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's better than outstanding?LovestoeatDined on 6/21/2013We've been to Newport many times, but never stumbled onto this place because it's off the beaten path. I found out about the higher end restaurant, Muse and figured this more casual dining experience would suit us better and it did. The food was outstanding; the service was outstanding. We couldn't understand why it wasn't more crowded. We were there on a Friday night where they had a special grilling menu which had limited options, but all you cared to eat of what they were serving. We tried everything and loved everything! I can't wait to go back to Newport so I can eat at this place again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal at a boutique hotelOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/26/2013Conservatory at Vanderbilt Grace is one of two restaurants at a midsize European-owned hotel, half a block from main tourist thoroughfare. The other (called Muse) is by a famous TV chef and is more vibrant, but the Conservatory is a nice quiet covered terrace area serving not long but good choice of dishes. In summer, the garden next to the conservatory serves as an extension. On a late Sunday night we ended up having the later portion of our meal to ourselves in a rather romantic atmosphere. Excellent tomato soup, great mussels, exceptional crab cake. Good wine list shared with Muse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in Newport, RIlkinflDined on 5/24/2013I have been to lunch at The Conservatory before. I have dined outside by the pool. I have had drinks on the rooftop. This is a special place. Everytime I go, I feel ike it is the first time. I brought my friend to get her out of the doldrums of a rainy, grey day. Even though we had reservations for two, my daughter decided to join us and the reservation was changed to accomodate her arrival. Later, we invited another friend and the table bcame a table for four seemlessly. I had a light lunch of pizza that I enjoyed throughly. I would order it again. Without a doubt I will return to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patience neededmnoormo1VIPDined on 5/22/2013This is a quaint little restaurant set in the Vanderbilt at Grace hotel which overlooks the courtyard. Thumps up for the mussels w/pesto appetizer and the french fries. Mixed verdict on the entrees. Thumbs up for the NY Strip Steak but a neutral on the Bison Burger. The service is very slow (only one server) but the pleasantness of the server makes up for the slow service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our 2nd visit inPebblesDined on 5/22/2013This was our 2nd visit in 3 days. Yes, that good. The food is very good and priced affordable. The atmosphere is relaxed with beautiful glassed in surroundings adjacent to a courtyard both behind the elegant Vanderbilt Grace hotel. Service was excellent our first visit (thank you Justin!). Our 2nd visit service lacked service except when Justin stepped in to offer a greeting and enhance the experience. The menu is limited but everything we ordered please each of the 4 members of our party. We visit Newport every year and the Conservatory will be on the top of our list to revisit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where is everybody?OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/21/2013We had the conservatory to ourselves. I know it isn't high season yet but I hoped there would be other people dining. We were a party of four and were all alone until just before we left. We ordered Belvedere vodka martini's and they had no Belvedere so we received Chopin vodka. They also had NO OLIVES for our martini. Geesh. How hard would it have been to send someone to the store for a jar of olives in the afternoon. The valet was nowhere to be found so we locked our car and went inside to find the valet which was just coming out. Thank goodness the food was fantastic. The gnocchi were outstanding as well as the steak. Thank you chef Babs was a great waitress and we thank her for being pleasant and efficient.Special Features:
- We have visisted The ConservatoryMamieVIPDined on 5/4/2013We have visisted The Conservatory several times and have enjoyed every experience. The Vanderbilt Grace is a classy "oasis in the desert" from the noisy and overcrowded downtown Newport. Rooftop bar has an excellent view of Newport and Narragansett Bay. The gardens are lovely!Special Features:
- The three of us enjoyed outstandingzen4foodVIPDined on 4/23/2013The three of us enjoyed outstanding service,ambiance and cuisine. A very special evening. Can't wait to try their rooftop in a few weeks.Special Features:
- A great place to find rightDani2469VIPDined on 4/19/2013A great place to find right in the middle of town and within walking distance from Long Wharf. The food was really good. They have a large wine list fit for anyone's taste.Special Features:
- The service was really outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2013The service was really outstanding. We had to wait 15 minute for our table to be ready for which they apologized several times and gave us a glass of champagne.Special Features:
- terrific Service was perfect.......OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/9/2013terrific Service was perfect........I can't say enough about how well we were treated.they made us feel as if we were guests of the Vanderbilts!!!!!!!!!!
- Mixed review. I had the fullzen4foodVIPDined on 4/7/2013Mixed review. I had the full high tea $29.95 The home made huckleberry jam, and lemon curd were in tiny pots but extremely good. 1st pot of tea water was cool. Wish I had asked for another tea bag with the 2nd pot of slightly hotter water. A tea cozy to keep the water hot would have been nice. The 2 (4") tiny scones and 2 cookies were nicely done. As to the sandwiches... The 3 small finger sandwiches (5"x3") 1 of cucumber, 1 of egg mayonnaise and one of smoked salmon and butter were very tasty. The chocolate dipped strawberries were wonderful. It could bear improving..but there are few places as attractive for high tea and The Vanderbilt does try to excel. The Muse restaurant there is a fabulous treat and worth every dollar.Special Features:
- charming and beautiful restaurantdiner13VIPDined on 4/7/2013charming and beautiful restaurant with good food. the onion soup, which is not always on the menu, is excellent, as well as their bread basket. We went for restaurant week lunch (brunch, as it was a Sunday) and the value was enticing too. Highly recommended, this place is off the beaten track and worth discovering. We have always had good food and service there.Special Features:
- The Conservatory is the moreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/5/2013The Conservatory is the more casual dining side of the Vanderbilt Grace hotel. Don't expect to be wowed by the decor. The room is something like the breakfast room at a European hotel--more functional than beautiful. The service was casual, well informed and pretty attentive. The food was creative and very well executed. We went for a Newport Restaurant Week so the menu was limited but fine. Desserts were outstanding. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the grilled bread that was served with mussels app. The seasoning on the bread overwhelmed the light mussel/broth. This place could be a "go-to" spot as a hidden retreat just a block from the hustle and bustle of Thames Street during the Newport summer.Special Features:
- Fantastic spread for EasterlaughlicVIPDined on 3/31/2013We had a lovely Easter Brunch. French toast, omlettes to order, chocolate croissants and chocolate covered strawberries. What more could a girl want? The children that were there for the Easter Egg hunt we very well mannered.Special Features:
- Reservation time not honoredMaryFranVIPDined on 2/16/2013Overall a good experience. There seemed to be confusion over my Open Table reservation, I made it for 5:00 in the Conservatory because we had tickets to a show. At 5:30 we still had not been seated and we questioned the delay, they asked us if we knew we had a reservation for the Conservatory and not Muse, the other restaurant, we said yes we knew. The delay in being seated did cause us to feel rushed at the end in order to get to our show on time.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant to spend NewRCollinsDined on 12/31/2012Nice restaurant to spend New Year's Eve at, if a bit quiet. The lobster and amuse bouche were fantastic, but the sole was disappointing.Special Features:
- We had lunch on a quiet winterConstanttravelerVIPDined on 12/12/2012We had lunch on a quiet winter afternoon and enjoyed a limited but tasty menu. We had the caesar salad, which was a nice version, crab cake, which was rich in crab and flavorful, and the sweet potato gnocchi that were light, yet very filling and flavorful. I especially recommend the sweet potato french fries. The wine list is varied and reasonably priced. There is a selection for everyone's pocketbook. The service was friendly and attentive. A typical review may give this 5 stars , but I reserve that rating for the truly extraordinary. No grade inflation here.Special Features:
- Husband and I went for leisurelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2012Husband and I went for leisurely lunch and it was perfect. Lovely atmosphere in the glass-walled, vintage-feel conservatory, without being fussy or twee. Tables were crisply set with beautiful cutlery. Delicious soups, exquisite and rich. We took our desserts in the fireplace room. Plan to return very soon.Special Features:
- My friends and I dined hereLmbewVIPDined on 11/5/2012My friends and I dined here for lunch during restaurant week. We had a nice meal with excellent service.Special Features:
- Absolutely lovely place forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2012Absolutely lovely place for a leisurely (2.5 hour!) lunch. Bright and sunny with beautiful view of Trinity Church Steeple and gardens. Food was very high quality and delicious except for the decaf coffee.Special Features:
- Went for lunch - service isOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/27/2012Went for lunch - service is slow but nice... Not missing out if you don't go...
- The new setup at the VanderbiltGermanyinBristolDined on 10/5/2012The new setup at the Vanderbilt has its charm. Having breakfasted at the Conservatory several times while guests at the hotel and then as residents of Newport, we knew the Conservatory was a beautiful place to sit. Now with the special menu it is even more attractive. Next door at the main restaurant they were serving a pris fix and there was live music, a great jazz singer with piano. but for us, the a la carte was better. It was a special evening!Special Features:
- Quiet dining at the ConservatoryJonGentryDined on 10/4/2012We enjoyed our experience at the Conservatory and were very pleased. The food was good, service outstanding and nice atmosphere. We were surprised the place wasn't busier but it is off-season and the middle of the week. There are actually two dining areas, one which is casual (where we had dinner) and the other more formal. Neither restaurant was busy and that's a shame. The Vanderbilt Grace is within walking distance of downtown and I'm sure in the summers the atmosphere is vibrant. I thought for casual dining it was a bit pricey but that would not deter me from going back. It was a pleasant evening and possible to carry on a conversation without shouting. Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- A very memorable dinner! WegingerDined on 10/2/2012A very memorable dinner! We wanted to return the next night!Special Features:
- We can say nothing but positiveMamieVIPDined on 9/29/2012We can say nothing but positive for this restaurant. The food is wonderful, the atmosphere as wonderful and the waitstaff very competent. It is "far from the maddening crowd" and one of our favorites in Newport.Special Features:
- Pretty Spot - Quiet Off SeasonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2012Lovely atrium room in a beautiful boutique hotel. Food was tasty but portions not huge. Even though ther were 2 cruise ships in port and Themes Street was bustling, we were the only ones in the place. I suspect it is always pretty quiet off season.Special Features:
- We have come to enjoy thisOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2012We have come to enjoy this beautiful restaurant. Everyone is accomodating, pleasant and very professional. We found their rooftop, after dining, and found it to be breathtaking with views that are captivating. Truly a gem in the heart of Newport. I wish they would have specials for the locals that go there, this would keep us coming back on a regular basis.Special Features:
- Treat yourself!DebeDined on 9/12/2012A fabulous lunch during the week in a quiet corner of the brick patio by the fountain---perfect! The food is outstanding--down to the smallest detail and our server couldn't have been any more attentive and friendly. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Has great possibilities. StillOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2012Has great possibilities. Still building a customer base. A well kept secret in Newport. The roof top bar is a perfect place to watch the sun se, but bring a jacket on cooler days.Special Features:
- wanted a light meal and theOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/8/2012wanted a light meal and the cup of chowder and the crab cake dinner were a perfect pair. the chowder was light, not heavy with cream, good amount of clams and flavorful. The crab cake was tasty and yummy.Special Features:
- Service was slow & there waspickyVIPDined on 9/3/2012Service was slow & there was no one there We went on Monday holiday nite. Place was deserted Service was ow (inexperienced ) We had to ask for menues after we already had drinks & were waiting. Food was good. Not great Garden was really beautiful. This place should improve service & food & ws Oils be amazingSpecial Features:
- Horrible. Waited 10 minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/1/2012Horrible. Waited 10 minutes while the staff floundered around trying to our reservation. Finally, I asked if we could wait at the bar while they sorted out our table. 20 minutes later, they finally came back to seat us. They brought us through an empty restaurant to our table. We both ordered steaks, mine rare and hers medium. While her's came out fairly close to what she had ordered, I recieved a medium well steak. I sent it back, waited 15 minutes, before being brought a medium steak. I sent this back, via the clueless manager, and asked that it be removed from the bill. Horrible experience, would not recommend.