The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace
41 Mary Street
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.vanderbiltgrace.com/conservatory.php
- Phone: 4018466200x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm ; Dinner: Monday - Sunday 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Cartwright
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace
PERFECT FOR INFORMAL DINING is the Conservatory restaurant at the Vanderbilt Grace in Newport, Rhode Island - a transformation of the former Vanderbilt Hall by Grace Hotels. The bright and airy Conservatory offers lighter meals in lovely informal surroundings and is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Conservatory"s picture windows offer lovely views of Newport town historic Trinity Church, built in 1725 based on designs by Sir Christopher Wren. The Conservatory also serves cocktails and food in the Vanderbilt Grace's garden terrace. This oasis of calm is just minutes from the town center yet transports you into another world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
great for outdoor dining (15)neighborhood gem (12)romantic (12)special occasion (12)fit for foodies (8)great for lunch (7)scenic view (7)great for brunch (6)notable wine list (2)good for groups (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DisappointedSuzyQDined on 8/10/2014I was optimistic based on reviews, but unfortunately this was the worst meal I ate during my 4 days in RI. My cosmopolitan was very pink and not good, and meal ordinary, to be kind. We had called to change our reservation from 7- 7.30 and this was a big problem, only solved fortunately,by a last minute cancellation by someone else. Imagine how puzzled we were to find the place nearly empty. There a very loud foursome arrived. Where did the waitress put them? Right squashed up next to us...it was hard to carry on a conversation. The garden is charming and if they had candles. Could be special in the evening. Instead they brought us a 4 beam battery light, which was way too bright, and totally lacking in any charm or sensibility
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Wonderful environment but poor experience with one of their food items. My boyfriend and I had gotten burgers -- mine medium well, his medium *rare*. Both of them came out very well done and dry. The buns were so hard (which I understand is the intent on how this restaurant chooses to create their meals) and dry as well. It was difficult to eat and I ended up having to eat mine with a fork and knife! Our waitress was fantastic and the ambience was great! I also had a cup of clam chowder with their homemade oyster crackers which were yummy. Would definitely try again but definitely would not order the burger or just ask for straight up rare if they cook a medium rare to such a crisp.Special Features:
- A hidden gemLeslieDined on 7/16/2014We read the reviews of this restaurant, in the charming Vanderbilt Grace Hotel, and weren't so sure it would be all it was reported, but it was! Beautiful setting, nobody there, great food (I didn't give it 5 stars as it wasn't especially creative but it was delicious!). Service was wonderful; nobody hovered, but when we needed something it came right away. Would be wonderful for a romantic dinner, or even a business lunch if you needed quiet.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningOpenTabledevoteeVIPDined on 7/11/2014We happened upon Friday night BBQ at the Conservatory, and while we might have preferred a different meal, the care with which this family-style served meal was presented trumped our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/8/2014this is a great spot in a noteworthy hotel. The rooftop bar is unmatched in newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect is the wordlkinflDined on 7/3/2014Took a workmate to lunch to celebrate 30 years on the job. Lunch at The Conservatory was the perfect place to do so. From the Processco, salad, and pizza to the marvelous dessert, all added to the celebration. Thanks to our server who acknowledged the occasion. Top notch place for lunch. If you haven't been, you must. I have returned many times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014best salmon, bagel and cream cheese i have ever had. ambience was quiet, beautiful and romantic, service was great and the vanderbilt is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After the BeachAjH1VIPDined on 6/7/2014This was my second time and the food, ambiance and setting were perfect. Alyssa, our server suggested an amazing dessert...you'll have to ask when you get there because I forgot the name...it was a chocolate mousse and coconut froth. It was a bit chilly the night we were there and the staff answered that challenge by offering blankets to every diner...nice touch!Special Features:
- Relaxed but specialharryVIPDined on 6/7/2014Wanted to have a simple but good meal at a neighborhood hot spot and was not at all disappointed. Beautiful location in a historic property offering delicious food at a reasonable price served by extremely friendly staff!!! I'll be going back!Special Features:
- Way too loud!HappyVIPDined on 5/25/2014Went to dinner with my husband for a night out. Wine menu unimpressive and only served by the glass. Server was fine but they started moving furniture all around us to set up for a large party that had made reservations 2 months ago and it was very distracting. Party arrived with 8 adults (one table) and 9 kids at another table. Party was super loud and my husband and I couldn't hear each other at all. We hurried through dinner and left. They needed to shut down to accommodate large family instead of ruining dinner for the rest of us.
- Disappointing!! Not a good value!JanBDined on 5/25/2014This was our first visit to this restaurant. We arrived a little early and were offered drinks from the bar three times which we declined each time. This restaurant has a "haughty" air about it but has nothing to be "haughty" about. Our food was good but the menu is very "limited". Our server appeared to either be very "new" or extremely timid and could not really answer questions about the menu. I was appalled when we received the bill and they had charged me $4.00 for each glass of tea that I had (I only had two). The tea was served in a tall, slender glass so there couldn't have been more than 4-5 ounces of tea in each glass. We were offered desserts but all of them were $10 each and I didn't see that any of them would be worth $10.
- 3rd time is the charm?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014This was our 3rd meal at this lovely location. It is a great alternative to the seasonal Muse that would be more of a special occasion take for most I think. Service was lacking but staff was young and need training. An improvement here may bring in the diner looking for the total experience. Food is always great and quality better for the price. We will back next year or sooner next time we visit Newport. Enjoy!Special Features:
- MamieVIPDined on 5/10/2014We always enjoy our dining experience at The Conservatory at the Vanderbilt Grace.Special Features:
- Lovely!dandy0891VIPDined on 5/8/2014If you like the feel of being in Newport than Vanderbilt Grace is the place to dine. It is right in the middle of town, perfect to walk to from anywhere downtown. You feel like you stepped right into a lovely summer home in the mid 1930's. Loved it and the food was great.Special Features:
- Lovely birthdayRIRedDined on 5/3/2014We celebrated a quiet and romantic birthday supper with a simple, elegant meal of mussels, a beautiful chicken dish. Service impeccable, and special diet needs swiftly accommodated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and relaxing lunchCapeTomDined on 5/2/2014The Conservatory is a beautiful place for lunch. You can sit outside or in the atrium. The staff is wonderful...efficient and friendly. There are always nice choices for food. The food is outstanding and reasonable. We really enjoy it there and always go upstairs to the roof deck, with a drink, to enjoy the amazing view of the harbor.Special Features:
- The following 139 reviews are from the The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace reviews archive.
- Raw salmon but enjoyable overallStevenVIPDined on 4/18/2014My salmon came out raw and I mean raw. The chef refired it and that time is was perfect (even though it wasn't a new plate). Unfortunately my date had to eat alone while I waited. Overall an enjoyable dining experience. Servers were extremely pleasant and attentive. Moved to the Muse bar after dinner and had a couple drinks. The bartender was great and made an excellent Old Fashioned. The two desks outside the Conservatory (where it seemed the entire hotel staff congregates during down time) made dining in the conservatory a little uncomfortable at times. Maybe a break room for the staff would be a plus.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Maahvelous!andyyDined on 4/12/2014Everything about the place is exquisite. food, service, and ambiance all score a 10. Even the landlocked view is impressive. Ve'll be baack. PS. Every member of the staff can vie for Mr / Ms congeniality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch At Vanderbilt GraceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2014Went for Newport restaurant week and had lunch in the conservatory. Excellent food and service. Portions were very large and the restaurant did not skimp just because it was RW.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week favoriteAxelVIPDined on 4/10/2014The Conservatory At Vanderbilt Grace was out favorite during Newport Restaurant Week. The tree course lunch was with a glass of Los Caneros sparkling wine sitting in the spring sunlight filled winter garden was an elegant affaire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConservatorySheilaDined on 4/6/2014The food and ambience was excellent. Our server was helpful and efficient.Special Features:
- Newport Restaurant Week gemfoodieVIPDined on 4/6/2014Having never been to The Conservatory previously, we are delighted to have had the opportunity thanks to the restaurant week special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekGladridgeDined on 4/5/2014Made 5:00 dinner reservations. However they would only serve from the lunch menu. Wouldn't budge. Open table reservation said dinner. Very unfriendly. Dine in Newport all the time - don't need to return to this one.
- Are you being served?LarkDined on 4/4/2014Well ... if you like to complain about wait staff and lack of attention to detail from the the kitchen....... DO NOT dine here! You will be lost for words.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Garden DiningTomHDined on 3/29/2014This was a beautiful location with a great views of a garden, lovely even in the rain. The ambience was warm, quiet and friendly, food was delicious, and service unhurried but engaged. This tiny dining area is tucked away at the back of a boutique hotel in the center of Newport nearby but away from crowds and tourists. A great choice after a great movie at the nearby Jane Pickens theater.Special Features:
- Quiet Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/28/2014We have been to the Conservatory many times after finding it by accident a couple of years ago. It never disappoints. It is a lovely room especially in the spring and Summer. Our server was very attentive and knowledgeable about the menu and wines. We tell everyone about this hidden gem!Special Features:
- Great Newport escapetravelerDined on 3/26/2014I wish that the food was all good. Bread and butter good, the first evaluation of most restaurants, right? Clam chowder was very watery and flavorless. Cheddar broccoli soup tasty but broccoli was in large chunks. We dined at lunch midweek so the kitchen may have been on an off day. Mushroom risotto good but needed additional flavor. Waitress was very kind friendly and helpful. We had the billiard room or ourselves after lunch. Good hideout on a rainy windy day.Special Features:
- great spot for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/24/2014I love this spot for lunch - especially in the winter because often it is very quiet and lovely for catching up with friends - perfect atmosphere and always the best service. I have never been disappointed in the food until this time. The flatbread was lacking in flavor - almost like a dry piece of bread with some toppings thrown on it and no base sauce or flavor. Other than that I have only good things to say about it as I am a repeat customer and highly recommend absolutely EVERYTHING else on the menu. Sorry to say that I have to give this one particular dish the thumbs down but don't let that discourage you from coming- everything else is spot on - the soups are delicious, the wagyu burger, boar bolognese, and risotto are wonderful!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucked away gemHollyDined on 3/21/2014This restaurant had been suggested to me by a friend last summer but I haven't been to Newport in awhile. Open table had it listed for Friday so I thought it would be nice to try something new. Well it was way beyond my wildest expectations . It was fantastic to say the least . Our waiter Alex was so attentive and the conservatory was so nice and quiet , what a gem. Mussels were good and the hanger steak very tasty and tender and the curried salmon was outrageous ! I will be heading back again soon try it, you will love it..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverlookedJohnLDined on 3/15/2014Newport is fortunate to have so many great restaurants and most hotel restaurants are not the best option. This is an exception to the rule. Great food and atmosphere and not as hectic as some of the main street alternatives. You feel like you've found something special when dining here.Special Features:
- Local joyFoodDocVIPDined on 3/8/2014I took a chance and won big time! We were looking for a relaxed dining experience, and had passed this building many times in shopping travels. When I called and found I could wear jeans, I anticipated a less than great culinary experience. Snobby, right! But so wrong. The menu although limited provided a great experience for all. Sharing was the name of the game. Wonderful environment and great staff. Will be back soon with lot's of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over the topOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014When one selects the "lesser" of the two options at a hotel, one often expects and receives less-not at the Conservatory. Both the food and the service were top notch. Attentive though not intrusive wait staff created the perfect experience for our valentines getaway-oh and yes, the food was brilliantly crafted,delicious twists on standard fare at a price point reasonable for craftsmanship. We WILL be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value, great serviceJAYMEDINCDined on 12/29/2013The food was excellent and not very expensive. The service was great. The Conservatory dining area with just nine tables seemed a little odd, but we really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphere.ChefSandroDined on 12/29/2013If you want a nice quite place for brunch where the food and service are fantastic, then this is the place to go!Special Features:
- Great place for romantic dinnersFredericDined on 11/22/2013We had an excellent time, the service was very good and friendly, the food and drinks excellent (try the house cocktails). We loved the great nautical-themed ambience. Since it's really a winter garden, the room felt roomy and cosy at the same time. We went on an off-season Friday and the place was quiet, perfect for a great romantic, intimate dinner (though the table set us a bit apart). Overall highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/10/2013The Vanderbilt Grace is an elegant small hotel, and the Conservatory is their less formal, patio (enclosed) dining room. We were there during Newport's Restaurant Week, when the Conservatory served only a very nice, fixed price three course menu. Neither of us were hungry enough for a full three course meal, and so we were thinking of moving on when the host (Bryan) realized our dilemma. He reassured us that we could modify and split up the menu any way that suited us, and we soon came to a good fit. The setting of the Conservatory is absolutely gorgeous, and the food is very, very good. The one aspect that pleased us even more is the thoughtful, professional service. We highly recommend the Vanderbilt Grace hotel and the Conservatory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a quiet eveningsistersDined on 11/10/2013Looking for a quiet gracious spot for dinner, the beautiful tiny restaurant was a quiet oasis. My sister and I were there for restaurant week. Pretty space, incredible food, a very helpful wait staff (Amy) we enjoyed Lobster mac and cheese with the preselected wine pairings. The room is quiet so we were able to chat about all that we had seen and done during our tours that day. A very nice experience, my only complaint would be the website does not indicate parking we took several laps around the neighborhood before finding a parking lot. Only to find upon walking up that apparently there is valet service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LimitedSheilaVIPDined on 11/10/2013/During Newport Restaurant week we lunched at The Conservatory at Vanderbilt Grace. It is a beautiful sun room in an old luxury hotel. The surrounds/ambience is just wonderful, the service was excellent but the menu selection was extremely limited and not a good value for my dollars.
- Great.NYNY1Dined on 11/9/2013The food was very good, service was very good, courses were paced nicely and wine pairings were excellent. On a 3 night stay in Newport, this place was tied for favorite meal experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newport Restaurant WeekSteveDined on 11/8/2013The menu for Newport Restaurant Week was one of the better offerings in town. The food was prepared well, presentations was wonderful and flavor and in my case, the steak, cooked perfectly. It was a very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.