The Comus Inn at Sugarloaf Mountain
23900 Old Hundred Road
Dickerson, MD 20842Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Comus Inn at Sugarloaf Mountain
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thecomusinn.com/
- Phone: 3013495100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday, Thursday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm Month of December Lunch: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 11:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Private rooms for parties and our Grand Room and tented Terrace can host weddings and parties 25-200 guests. The Terrace is beautifully landscaped with seasonal flowers, a water fountain and the most breath taking view of Sugarloaf Mountain.
A word from The Comus Inn at Sugarloaf Mountain
The Comus Inn is the perfect choice for a relaxing afternoon or evening out with family or friends. The restaurant is a rehabilitated historical property with a stunning view of Sugarloaf Mountain. The Comus Inn utilizes the freshest ingredients from local produce and cheeses, hormone free beef and sustainable seafood to provide a dining experience to suit your taste and appetite. Food is prepared to order with artful presentations that appeal to both the palate and the eye. Our goal is to provide our customers with a superior dining experience from the moment they enter until their departure. We promise to greet you quickly, sincerely and elegantly, serve you with highly trained staff and most of all serve dishes that are high quality, cutting edge and the best value.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Comus Inn at Sugarloaf Mountain - Best Restaurants in Dickerson ›
The Comus Inn at Sugarloaf Mountain reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (104)special occasion (89)romantic (82)fit for foodies (46)great for brunch (42)neighborhood gem (33)great for lunch (21)good for groups (20)notable wine list (19)great for outdoor dining (8)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (2)Show More
- Afternoon TeaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014Service was excellent.Teas, scones, & pastries delicious. Sandwich selection mediocre. Comus Inn is a lovely setting with beautiful views of the mountains. Lovely decor and such friendly staff. Our only disappointment is that their Sunday tea is served group style with everyone seated at a long table in a private room. The explanation was that Tea is to be a time to socialize and meet new friends. That's not what my friends and I look for in an afternoon tea, but rather a private table in a quiet environment where we can catch up on what's been going on in each others' lives. We don't go to Tea to make new friends. So if you are looking for a nice quiet table to relax over tea and pastries to talk privately, this is not the Tea for you.Special Features:
- CharmingPopoverKingDined on 10/18/2014This is a charming place for dinner or brunch. We had dinner and could see the sunset on Sugarloaf mountain. We both had filet mignon and they were excellent. While the experience was good and will go back, I would say the service was on the slow side and menu could have a few more choices.Special Features:
- DawgmomDined on 10/15/2014Beautiful setting, very elegant. One of the wonderful things about this restaurant, however, is the view. Therefore, we were very disappointed when we arrived to find that the view was almost entirely obstructed by a huge white events tent, set up for wedding. I know they do events, but it ruined a special dining experience. The food was well prepared, but nothing extraordinary or partciularly creative or complex.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Classy American FooddanjngDined on 10/12/2014Sad to see that they've opted to start charging for biscuits and whatnot, but they haven't let me down in terms of food yet. The view is amazing on a nice day and it's the perfect place for a meal with the parents. It's not as dressy as Yelp states, but I wouldn't come in with jorts and a no-sleeve shirt. Service was great and the staff has a great attitude. Food is not mind-blowing, but good with interesting combinations of ingredients in their dishes (nothing crazy though). Would definitely be coming back here again.Special Features:
- Reliably nice diningSD21704Dined on 10/10/2014From the moment Jesse greeted until he bid us farewell we had a lovely evening. The Comus Inn is becoming one of our favorite dinner restaurants. Everything we ordered was very fresh, delicious and nicely plated. Their wine options are very impressive, with choices to fit any budget, including many choices by the glass. The service pace is maybe a little slow for those prone to eat quickly and not interested in being seated at a dining table for more than a few minutes. But, if you’re going out for a nice dinner and want to enjoy the company of your dining companions and take in the beautiful view of the surrounding farm land this is the perfect restaurant.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!JoshVIPDined on 10/5/2014What a lovely place! The Comus Inn is beautiful, romantic and picturesque. I took my girlfriend and her kids and my kids there to celebrate two birthdays. We had a great time; the food is delicious, service excellent and the place couldn't be more lovely with a beautiful view of Sugarloaf Mountain. The charcuterie plate is very nice - with homemade meats; I had the delicious and very filling Shrimp and Grits with Andouille Sausage. The homemade waffles were a big hit with the kids and the crab hush puppies were delicious. Great bloody mary's too! The wait staff and management were very friendly and accommodating. I highly recommend The Comus Inn for a great brunch, a romantic dinner or a special occasion like a birthday or an anniversary.Special Features:
- Great for Brunch on SundayJorgeDined on 10/5/2014We love Comus Inn!! Brunch on Sunday is super. Food is wonderful and service is fine. View is a big plus. We always bring special guests when we visit the Inn since the overall atmosphere is splendid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Wonderful special evening. The staff is extremely friendly and the view is wonderful. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- could be greatdisappointedDined on 10/3/2014Has amazing potential if decor etc were more in keeping with old country inn - also disappointed in food -- too much and mediocre-- reviews on line in August were discouraging - almost decided agst- but some September reviews were enthusiastic -- service was great except waitress should have told us much sooner lunch was really late being served due to mixup in kitchenSpecial Features:
- Dave S.FineDinerDined on 9/28/2014My wife, cousins and I really like coming to the Comus Inn for Sunday brunch. The food is excellent and the service is great. We all like looking out the windows at the surrounding countryside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall an Excellent ExperienceRandyVIPDined on 9/27/2014The only thing we can find negative to say is that they didn't have our first choice of wine, and seemed a bit rushed in the service, even though there were empty tables in our room. Food was very well prepared (we both had beef, and the sauces were very tasty). Peanut butter Napoleon for dessert was unique and delicious. I'd have made the chocolate on the top a bit thinner so it was easier to pierce with a fork. The setting is charming and the host was friendly and engaging. We'll be back for another special occasion.Special Features:
- Lovely but disappointingDinerJDined on 9/27/2014I've been to the Comus Inn several times before and left feeling disappointed this last time. The staff is friendly and the views if the sunset and Sugarloaf Mountain were beautiful but other than that the dining experience wasn't one that made me want to come back. We waited more than an hour for our dinner entrees and when they finally did arrive they were "okay". The portions were small and the food was overpriced. I'm not usually a fan of massive portion sizes or "cheap food" but if I'm spending more than $100 for dinner for two I'd expect a little more food than what we were presented with, especially after having to wait an hour for it. The wait staff was friendly but I wish someone had checked on the status of our order sooner.Special Features:
- Comus is a MUST!RogerRabbitDined on 9/27/2014The Comus Inn is one of the most beautiful venues for American style fine dining and weddings alike. The spectacular view of Sugarloaf Mountain is worth the trip alone, but to have it as the backdrop to a delicious savory/sweet meal is worth the time and money. I have been a regular at The Comus Inn's lunch for events like Birthdays and Anniversaries, and it is always gorgeous on a nice day. The staff are the most polite, engaging, and down-to-earth that I can say I have ever experienced. Located at a truly historic crossroads, this restaurant is, quite simply, perfect. The food is great, but try not to over order as it can be rich. Be sure to make a reservation ahead of time and request a table with a view. PS: 1 word: Mojitos.Special Features:
- Lovely quiet dinnerSD21704Dined on 9/26/2014The seasonal watermelon salad was fabulous! We also enjoyed the fresh oysters, Caesar salad, dinner rolls, rib steak, crab cake, and a nice bottle of wine. Table service was very good, but the kitchen was a little slow on this visit. This was our third visit to the Comus Inn and we will return. The view of the countryside is a lovely bonus. Although the dining room was filled with guest enjoying themselves, it was not excessively loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodtimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2014Our evening to celebrate my wife's birthday was perfect. The food was tasty, (my ribeye steak was tender and juicy) the wine good and the service superb. I highly recommend the Comus Inn. In addition, we got to watch a spectacular sunset over Sugar Loaf Mountain.Special Features:
- A Lovely Country FindNeighborDined on 9/21/2014It was a special birthday brunch and The Comus Inn was the perfect spot. We sat on a glass-enclosed porch overlooking the valley and mountains. Crab hush puppies with a selection of dipping sauces kicked off the meal -- crisply fried and full of flavor, followed by a shared serving of Caesar salad, nicely topped with shredded parmesan. The shrimp and grits were bold and delicious! The crab cake BLT was plentiful and very tasty. Desserts -- though on the sweet side -- won points for presentation and preparation. I especially enjoyed the macaroon that accompanied my lemon meringue tart. But best of all was the attentive but not too intrusive service -- everyone seemed eager to please!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful place!KEArionDined on 9/20/2014My group went to dinner at the Comus Inn after a day of hiking on Sugarloaf Mountain and after a visit to the Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyard. Dinner at the restaurant was a perfect way to finish out a wonderful day. The staff at the Comus Inn are very accommodating (they didn't even mind that we were in our hiking clothes), the food is excellent, and the building and grounds are just beautiful!Special Features:
- all is good except foodTabearukiVIPDined on 9/20/2014Wonderful setting. Scenic view of the Sugarloaf Mountain. Friendly servers and historic looking house. Food is mediocre. If they can serve better food, we will definitely go back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Excellent service beginning at the door. Wonderful and attentive server. Great view of the mountain and country side. A true change to be in a restaurant where you can have a conversation at a normal voice level. Food was very good and nicely presented. Had not been back in more than 10 years and find the current situation much improved and highly recommendable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Lunch!GeodinerDined on 9/19/2014Atmosphere, food, and view were very nice. The burger was done perfectly, and the staff were very friendly and attentive. Food took a while to come out, but probably only because we ordered the chicken pot pie, which we assumed took a while to prepare. The pot pie was also very good. A hike on nearby Sugarloaf mountain afterwards was a nice way to burn off some of the calories.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerTimAVIPDined on 9/12/2014This is a great spot to have a special meal. A wonderful view, great food, live music and a wedding going on outside. The menu has something for everyone: steak, chicken, fish and more all with a wonderful accompaniment of vegies to go with. But the real fun is watching the sun setting on Sugarloaf mountain. Friday included special treats of live music in the dining room and a wedding going on outside. Such a romantic dinner!Special Features:
- A true gem overlooking Sugarloaf.JHumpVIPDined on 9/7/2014This is a great restaurant, and a must visit. The staff is always friendly and will always go out of their way to help you. The sunday brunch is fantastic, and we do visit often for this. But seems like the menu may have been a little light this visit. They used to have homemade donuts, and they were fantastic. The kids loved them. Anyways, great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerJodiDined on 9/6/2014This was my first time at the Comus Inn even though I grew up in Damascus, and have lived in the area for over 40 years. My husband and I had a wonderful dinner - please try the hushpuppies because they are amazing! I had the crab cake and he had the steak - both were very good, and the strawberry/rhubarb cobbler for dessert was the perfect way to end our evening. Our server, Carla, was most attentive, very nice, and the service overall was excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant for a special occasion or date night. Note - they do host a lot of weddings, so there's a tent setup outside which can partially block your view of Sugarloaf.Special Features:
- Great PlaceDB25Dined on 9/5/2014The food and service are fantastic. Highly Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not miniority friedlyPotomac88Dined on 8/31/2014The owner/manager did not seem happy to see us. He gave warm welcome to every table except ours. There were only 4 tables in that area and he came and greeted everyone at least twice. He never made an eye contact with our table. That was Sunday brunch and the service folks were very nice and professional. Other guests chatted with us as well. The manager/owner did not seem care and welcoming us to be there!
- Burned chickenLook5409Dined on 8/31/2014I took my daughter for a special brunch Aug 31. Our salad and appetizer were good and she said she really liked her omelet. I ordered waffle and chicken. The chicken was burned to a crisp. Honestly. I didn't want to send it back and make my guest then wait to start her food. Also the serving was a leg and a thigh -something I would never serve at home. It was even really poor quality chicken with very little meat
- Nicely donellissDined on 8/30/2014Being in the food service business in all different capacities for 25 yrs makes me a little more aware of things in a restaurant. And it has been awhile since I have been to a place (reputable or not) that has done an overall above average job. But Comus Inn had excellent and knowedgeable service, original and classically prepared dishes and what seemed like a fluid teamwork to make everything flow well, without ever feeling rushed. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good.DJSWashDCDined on 8/30/2014The food and service were very good. The waiter's suggestions were spot on. The cocktails, although priced like downtown Washington, were exceptional. It is a lovely setting.Special Features:
- SeafoodyesDined on 8/30/2014We always like the Comus Inn. Saturday night they had a wedding going on in the backyard so service was a bit slow. The food was the best that we have ever had there. Sauces were exceptional. It was worth the wait.Special Features:
- Maitre'd servicelove2eatDined on 8/29/2014Good food and ambiance. Service is also good except for the way the maitre'd assigns tables for the arriving guests. For several guest groups with the same reservation time and party size, he assigned tables NOT on first-come-first-serve basis, and the quality of the assigned tables (in terms of table size, view, location, space, and noise level) varies a great deal. Whatever principle he used to do the table assignment, which he refused to answer/reveal to me, seems consistent with my suspicion of a RACIAL treatment.Special Features:
- Had better nights thereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Very nice but over priced for what it is. Only real negative was getting seated: I had a 6:30 reservation but at 6 I was stuck in traffic so I called to say I would be there by 6:45. The person in the phone said that was fine. When I got there (at 6:40) the maître de reiterated my reservation was at 6:30 and I would have to wait until 2 other couples waiting were seated. Then all of a sudden he was able to seat me at the worst located table in the restaurant, claiming the two other couples, who clearly weren't together, wanted to sit together. It was obvious they had requested the dining area with the view, which meant we were stuck looking at a wall. Service was initially very slow but got better. Also the waiter forgot to bring bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choice!DisappointedseafoodloverVIPDined on 8/17/2014Great service, good food, lovely atmosphere and view. Truly enjoyed our dinner at the Comus Inn. Well worth the trip! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still quaint and classy, but...SurprisingDined on 8/16/2014The food remains very good and the menu has some real variety. But I'm afraid the ownership may have overestimated the loyalty of its clientele. The prices have really jumped up and that will certainly impact how often I return. Love the restaurant...but maybe a little less than before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comus InncrazycarynDined on 8/16/2014After living in Frederick, Md for 6 years, we finally decided to try The Comus Inn. The building is a historic one at the base of Sugarloaf Mountain. The view was breathtaking, but we were moved to the end of the room for a better view because a tent was set up for a wedding the next day. The food was good, the service was excellent. Enjoyed our evening. We were there early in the evening and was told the sunsets are something that should not be missed. We will have to go back to see if our waiter was right.Special Features:
- Elegant Country DiningJohnADined on 8/14/2014Comus Inn is a contrast in equal parts fine dining, beautiful scenery and neighborhood hangout...that is if you live in horse country below Frederick. The food was excellently prepared and very tasty. The welcome from owner and staff was down home friendly.Special Features:
- Pleasant ExperienceunseperatablesDined on 8/14/2014Great food, superb service, wonderful inside atmosphere and outside view. We do not have that many years of life expectancy so this was an opportunity to make the most use of our time.Special Features:
- Great findfoodforthoughtDined on 8/10/2014While going to Sugarloaf winery we made reservations at the Comus Inn, what a find! Food was superb and the staff was very knowledgable. Would definately return!Special Features:
- both casual and dressyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Don't be fooled by the tablecloths- you can also wear shorts to this place, even for dinner. There's a great Jazz vocalist friday nightsSpecial Features:
- Great restaurant!LIve4foodDined on 8/8/2014We visited the Comus inn two weekends in a row & each time enjoyed wonderful & warm hospitality. From the moment we walked in the front door to the moment we left, the service was exceptional. The food is original & very good, the wait staff is excellent, & someone is always checking to make sure your dining experience is superb. We will definitely be back again, soon. So glad we found the Comus inn!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance plussamsDined on 8/8/2014Our gourmet dinner was superb, coupled with a jazz singer, great service and ambiance--made for a wonderful evening out. The staff and service are excellent and always so welcoming.Special Features: