The Comus Inn at Sugarloaf Mountain
23900 Old Hundred Road
Dickerson, MD 20842Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Comus Inn at Sugarloaf Mountain
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thecomusinn.com/
- Phone: 3013495100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday, Thursday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm Month of December Lunch: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 11:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Private rooms for parties and our Grand Room and tented Terrace can host weddings and parties 25-200 guests. The Terrace is beautifully landscaped with seasonal flowers, a water fountain and the most breath taking view of Sugarloaf Mountain.
A word from The Comus Inn at Sugarloaf Mountain
The Comus Inn is the perfect choice for a relaxing afternoon or evening out with family or friends. The restaurant is a rehabilitated historical property with a stunning view of Sugarloaf Mountain. The Comus Inn utilizes the freshest ingredients from local produce and cheeses, hormone free beef and sustainable seafood to provide a dining experience to suit your taste and appetite. Food is prepared to order with artful presentations that appeal to both the palate and the eye. Our goal is to provide our customers with a superior dining experience from the moment they enter until their departure. We promise to greet you quickly, sincerely and elegantly, serve you with highly trained staff and most of all serve dishes that are high quality, cutting edge and the best value.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Comus Inn at Sugarloaf Mountain - Best Restaurants in Dickerson ›
The Comus Inn at Sugarloaf Mountain reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (101)special occasion (83)romantic (81)great for brunch (49)fit for foodies (45)neighborhood gem (35)great for lunch (21)good for groups (20)notable wine list (20)great for outdoor dining (8)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- A Lovely Country FindNeighborDined on 9/21/2014It was a special birthday brunch and The Comus Inn was the perfect spot. We sat on a glass-enclosed porch overlooking the valley and mountains. Crab hush puppies with a selection of dipping sauces kicked off the meal -- crisply fried and full of flavor, followed by a shared serving of Caesar salad, nicely topped with shredded parmesan. The shrimp and grits were bold and delicious! The crab cake BLT was plentiful and very tasty. Desserts -- though on the sweet side -- won points for presentation and preparation. I especially enjoyed the macaroon that accompanied my lemon meringue tart. But best of all was the attentive but not too intrusive service -- everyone seemed eager to please!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful place!KEArionDined on 9/20/2014My group went to dinner at the Comus Inn after a day of hiking on Sugarloaf Mountain and after a visit to the Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyard. Dinner at the restaurant was a perfect way to finish out a wonderful day. The staff at the Comus Inn are very accommodating (they didn't even mind that we were in our hiking clothes), the food is excellent, and the building and grounds are just beautiful!Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Excellent service beginning at the door. Wonderful and attentive server. Great view of the mountain and country side. A true change to be in a restaurant where you can have a conversation at a normal voice level. Food was very good and nicely presented. Had not been back in more than 10 years and find the current situation much improved and highly recommendable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Atmosphere, food, and view were very nice. The burger was done perfectly, and the staff were very friendly and attentive. Food took a while to come out, but probably only because we ordered the chicken pot pie, which we assumed took a while to prepare. The pot pie was also very good. A hike on nearby Sugarloaf mountain afterwards was a nice way to burn off some of the calories.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerTimADined on 9/12/2014This is a great spot to have a special meal. A wonderful view, great food, live music and a wedding going on outside. The menu has something for everyone: steak, chicken, fish and more all with a wonderful accompaniment of vegies to go with. But the real fun is watching the sun setting on Sugarloaf mountain. Friday included special treats of live music in the dining room and a wedding going on outside. Such a romantic dinner!Special Features:
- A true gem overlooking Sugarloaf.JHumpVIPDined on 9/7/2014This is a great restaurant, and a must visit. The staff is always friendly and will always go out of their way to help you. The sunday brunch is fantastic, and we do visit often for this. But seems like the menu may have been a little light this visit. They used to have homemade donuts, and they were fantastic. The kids loved them. Anyways, great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerJodiDined on 9/6/2014This was my first time at the Comus Inn even though I grew up in Damascus, and have lived in the area for over 40 years. My husband and I had a wonderful dinner - please try the hushpuppies because they are amazing! I had the crab cake and he had the steak - both were very good, and the strawberry/rhubarb cobbler for dessert was the perfect way to end our evening. Our server, Carla, was most attentive, very nice, and the service overall was excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant for a special occasion or date night. Note - they do host a lot of weddings, so there's a tent setup outside which can partially block your view of Sugarloaf.Special Features:
- Great PlaceDB25Dined on 9/5/2014The food and service are fantastic. Highly Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not miniority friedlyPotomac88Dined on 8/31/2014The owner/manager did not seem happy to see us. He gave warm welcome to every table except ours. There were only 4 tables in that area and he came and greeted everyone at least twice. He never made an eye contact with our table. That was Sunday brunch and the service folks were very nice and professional. Other guests chatted with us as well. The manager/owner did not seem care and welcoming us to be there!
- Burned chickenLook5409Dined on 8/31/2014I took my daughter for a special brunch Aug 31. Our salad and appetizer were good and she said she really liked her omelet. I ordered waffle and chicken. The chicken was burned to a crisp. Honestly. I didn't want to send it back and make my guest then wait to start her food. Also the serving was a leg and a thigh -something I would never serve at home. It was even really poor quality chicken with very little meat
- Nicely donellissDined on 8/30/2014Being in the food service business in all different capacities for 25 yrs makes me a little more aware of things in a restaurant. And it has been awhile since I have been to a place (reputable or not) that has done an overall above average job. But Comus Inn had excellent and knowedgeable service, original and classically prepared dishes and what seemed like a fluid teamwork to make everything flow well, without ever feeling rushed. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good.DJSWashDCDined on 8/30/2014The food and service were very good. The waiter's suggestions were spot on. The cocktails, although priced like downtown Washington, were exceptional. It is a lovely setting.Special Features:
- SeafoodyesDined on 8/30/2014We always like the Comus Inn. Saturday night they had a wedding going on in the backyard so service was a bit slow. The food was the best that we have ever had there. Sauces were exceptional. It was worth the wait.Special Features:
- Maitre'd servicelove2eatDined on 8/29/2014Good food and ambiance. Service is also good except for the way the maitre'd assigns tables for the arriving guests. For several guest groups with the same reservation time and party size, he assigned tables NOT on first-come-first-serve basis, and the quality of the assigned tables (in terms of table size, view, location, space, and noise level) varies a great deal. Whatever principle he used to do the table assignment, which he refused to answer/reveal to me, seems consistent with my suspicion of a RACIAL treatment.Special Features:
- Had better nights thereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Very nice but over priced for what it is. Only real negative was getting seated: I had a 6:30 reservation but at 6 I was stuck in traffic so I called to say I would be there by 6:45. The person in the phone said that was fine. When I got there (at 6:40) the maître de reiterated my reservation was at 6:30 and I would have to wait until 2 other couples waiting were seated. Then all of a sudden he was able to seat me at the worst located table in the restaurant, claiming the two other couples, who clearly weren't together, wanted to sit together. It was obvious they had requested the dining area with the view, which meant we were stuck looking at a wall. Service was initially very slow but got better. Also the waiter forgot to bring bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choice!DisappointedseafoodloverVIPDined on 8/17/2014Great service, good food, lovely atmosphere and view. Truly enjoyed our dinner at the Comus Inn. Well worth the trip! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still quaint and classy, but...SurprisingDined on 8/16/2014The food remains very good and the menu has some real variety. But I'm afraid the ownership may have overestimated the loyalty of its clientele. The prices have really jumped up and that will certainly impact how often I return. Love the restaurant...but maybe a little less than before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comus InncrazycarynDined on 8/16/2014After living in Frederick, Md for 6 years, we finally decided to try The Comus Inn. The building is a historic one at the base of Sugarloaf Mountain. The view was breathtaking, but we were moved to the end of the room for a better view because a tent was set up for a wedding the next day. The food was good, the service was excellent. Enjoyed our evening. We were there early in the evening and was told the sunsets are something that should not be missed. We will have to go back to see if our waiter was right.Special Features:
- Elegant Country DiningJohnADined on 8/14/2014Comus Inn is a contrast in equal parts fine dining, beautiful scenery and neighborhood hangout...that is if you live in horse country below Frederick. The food was excellently prepared and very tasty. The welcome from owner and staff was down home friendly.Special Features:
- Pleasant ExperienceunseperatablesDined on 8/14/2014Great food, superb service, wonderful inside atmosphere and outside view. We do not have that many years of life expectancy so this was an opportunity to make the most use of our time.Special Features:
- Great findfoodforthoughtDined on 8/10/2014While going to Sugarloaf winery we made reservations at the Comus Inn, what a find! Food was superb and the staff was very knowledgable. Would definately return!Special Features:
- both casual and dressyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Don't be fooled by the tablecloths- you can also wear shorts to this place, even for dinner. There's a great Jazz vocalist friday nightsSpecial Features:
- Great restaurant!LIve4foodDined on 8/8/2014We visited the Comus inn two weekends in a row & each time enjoyed wonderful & warm hospitality. From the moment we walked in the front door to the moment we left, the service was exceptional. The food is original & very good, the wait staff is excellent, & someone is always checking to make sure your dining experience is superb. We will definitely be back again, soon. So glad we found the Comus inn!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance plussamsDined on 8/8/2014Our gourmet dinner was superb, coupled with a jazz singer, great service and ambiance--made for a wonderful evening out. The staff and service are excellent and always so welcoming.Special Features:
- Special Anniversary DinnerOlneyFoodieDined on 8/7/2014After reading the previous diners' opinions about their visit to Comus Inn, I was somewhat skeptical but wanted to try it for myself. I am so glad that I did. From entering into the restaurant and being greeted by the host and the owner was a plus. As others have said, the view of the was obscured by the event tent but I wasn't there for the view....I was there to celebrate my 43rd wedding anniversary at a special place with my husband. The wait staff was just right - attentive but not in the way. The food was excellent!! We enjoyed the crab hushpuppies, the salmon and the pork loin. Ended the meal with homemade ice cream - grasshopper, peach & vanilla....yummy. Loved being out in the country away from the busyness of the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch after a hikeDJSWashDCDined on 8/3/2014The Country Benedict was a tasty twist on eggs benedict made with homemade biscuits. The omelet was nicely flavored with tarragon. The service was efficient and professional.Special Features:
- CelebrationbritterVIPDined on 8/2/2014This was our second time celebrating a special even at the Comus Inn. From the moment you get there they make you feel special. Incredible views and delicious food.Special Features:
- peaceful and calmOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014We went with friends and had an enjoyable meal and nice scenery. The service was excellent from the host greeting us to the waitress that served us. Would go back again and nice place for a more upscale meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience yes......food......oksuzmullDined on 8/2/2014I can only judge on the one meal I had there. The hanger steak with blue cheese fries. I ordered the steak medium rare and it came very rare. There was not much flavor added to the meat so not so exciting flavor. The blue cheese fries were good. Service was very good. I was going to try the chicken with Vidalia, peach and bourbon sauce but when the waitress described it as "sweet" and the chicken was bone in, skin on and baked.....didn't sound so appealing. I would try again for breakfast or brunch maybe.Special Features:
- Apres civil war: An eating monumentannbarcDined on 8/1/2014Service was great. We really liked hearing about the history of the area and the restaurant. Presentation of food was divine as was the food itself. We hope to come back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful LunchMattSturDined on 8/1/2014We both had a Friday off and decided to go to the county for lunch. We had had drinks at the Comus Inn years ago, but never eaten there. What a wonderful choice we made. The setting was lovely, the service pleasant without being overbearing and the food was great. The Shrimp & Grits were the best I've had anywhere. The Oyster Po Boy rivaled any we've had in New Orleans. The asparagus soup light, yet flavorful and the Maryland Crab soup excellent. The dessert list was very busy -- lots of ingredients in all of them and @ $12 each, we thought rather expensive. One disappointment -- the coffee was really bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday FinaleSareiDined on 7/30/2014Took my husband on a surprise adventure for his birthday to Sugarloaf mountain, starting with a picnic at the vineyard, then a private pottery class, hiking, and finishing at the Comus Inn. We got the Chef's Tasting Menu which was an incredible value for the price. I loved the interesting food pairings that the chef came up with. We are foodies in our 30's and we really enjoyed every bit. If anything, it was a little TOO much food! Everything was delicious, the server was excellent, and the view was gorgeous. Nothing to complain about, and it was the perfect end to a perfect day!Special Features:
- Great View for great foodasf20814Dined on 7/30/2014Have loved the Comus Inn over the years, in the past for it's pastoral country setting just below Sugarloaf Mountain. It's good to know that the food, service, and ambience are all now top notch.Special Features:
- Excellent Birthday DinnerSmithIsland26Dined on 7/26/2014This was the first time that most of the members of our party had dined at Comus Inn. We were first greeted by Jessie who made us feel very comfortable while seating us. He went out of his way to accommodate us with our request to sit near the window to have a scenic view of the Sugarloaf Mountains (there was a wedding party with a tarp blocking some of the view yet he made sure we had the best view possible) and told us a history of the building was used to treat soldiers during the Civil War. Our food was cooked to perfection and we also enjoyed soup selections made by server (who was excellent as well). Our experience was wonderful and we look forward to returning again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comus RevisitedSofiVIPDined on 7/24/2014If they don't change a thing, it will still be an outstanding restaurant for food and service with a view thrown in for free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed Review, honestlyJharyDined on 7/19/2014We've been to Comus Inn a few times. Usually a great menu and excellent service for a price that reflects the quality. This time we were in an interior room (usually we've been on the porch) and the staff just couldn't regulate the freezer-like temperature in the room. They were nice about it and repeatedly tried to cover the A/C vent, but it wasn't till we were nearly done with the main course that it started to warm up. (Other tables mentioned it, too.) Meanwhile, my wife ordered the special fish dish and it was completely forgettable/kind of tough. My rib eye was very good and was cooked to order, but it really didn't make up for the cold and the fish. We may not visit for a while, again. Especially at that price point.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view and setting; okay foodClearvuDined on 7/13/2014We live in the area near the Comus Inn and have gone there many times. We had a lovely table overlooking the back terrace. The wait staff was attentive, and one of the owners greeted us as we arrived. We started with an appetizer-- crab hushpuppies with a dipping sauce. If there was crab in the hushpuppies I could not taste it. The hushpuppies had been deep fried and were crunchy due to overcooking. I had the risotto and it was flavorful, but sticky rather than creamy. Another in our party had the chicken, and it was under cooked, making it difficult to cut with the knife provided. My wife had the fish of the day and it was underseasoned and and a little dry. Yeast risen rolls came with the dinner and were tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningYum0Dined on 7/11/2014We went to the Comus Inn for our 5th anniversary dinner. The food was great and the server was friendly and helpful. We were in the back room with the mountain view, but I was hoping we were at one of the tables at the window. In mentioning that we were celebrating our anniversary, I thought the restaurant would make note of it and maybe do something to acknowledge it, but they did not. We did ask our server and greeter to take our picture and they were happy to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Stickman33Dined on 7/5/2014I hadn't been to the Comus Inn for years. I was pleasantly surprised at the renovations and elegant experience. Everyone was very friendly and attentive. Food was really good. Only disappointment was that the event tent blocks the beautiful view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinnerkimberlady04Dined on 7/2/2014We had a great time at the Comus Inn. We went for our 5th Anniversary and loved every second of it. We were greeted promptly at the door and we were sat at a table with a view of the Sugarloaf Mountains. Our server was very nice (I forgot her name! Sorry!) and friendly. All of the food we had was awesome. We shared the Deviled Eggs & Shrimp for an appetizer. I had the Crab Soup for a 2nd course, the Rockfish for my entree and the mint chocolate tart for my dessert. My boyfriend had the wedge salad, the filet and the flan for dessert. We loved every part of it. Thank you again for making our day very special.Special Features: