The Coffee Shop
29 Union Sq. W.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Coffee Shop
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thecoffeeshopnyc.com/
- Phone: 2122437969x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:0am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Late Night: 12:00am - 5:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Brazilian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Coffee Shop
American classics with a Brazilian flair.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Coffee Shop reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (12)great for brunch (10)good for groups (7)great for lunch (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)fit for foodies (2)special occasion (1)romantic (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/21/2014Just had a quick brunch with a friend, had a chicken caesar salad. Which was perfectly fine. No fuss, no muss.Special Features:
- Go-to spot in union squareOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014quality lunch. breakfast all day. good outdoor seating.Special Features:
- Fun and TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014This is a fun spot with tasty food and great drinks for a good price. Service was prompt and friendly. The place can be a little noisy but you can still chat without killing your voice. Overall, it's a fun spot to have a good time over excellent food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it!Kaye214Dined on 7/21/2014A little pricey but the food was delicious and the staff was very kind. We got a table immediately and our food came out quickly as well.Special Features:
- ServicelisterVIPDined on 6/7/2014The waitress serving outside was extremely clumsy. She dropped drinks and cutlery. She also dropped bills on the and wrote food orders and other peoples bills since she didn't have a note pad She also forgot a lot of orders and did not know what was available on the menu. Besides for the service the food was ok and the location is amazing. They should increase their bagel selection. They should also speak to their staff and make sure that they take their time serving their customers. It should also be written on opentable that customers cannot make reservations for outdoor seatingSpecial Features:
- The following 22 reviews are from the The Coffee Shop reviews archive.
- Poor Customer ServiceAnnieDined on 5/24/2014Coffeeshop had fine/serviceable food, but the customer service was terrible. Multiple drink orders were forgotten or mis-filled and some entrees came out wrong. There were long periods where no one came to check on us or refill our drinks. The major issue was we called to be seated an hour early, and they said they could not accommodate us. Totally fine - except when we got there half the restaurant was empty and then they made us wait 20 minutes!Special Features:
- Too full of itself?msilver345Dined on 5/21/2014I took my research assistant here for lunch because it is a convenient Union Square "hot spot." But the snooty maitre d turned me off from the get go.
- DeeDeeVIPDined on 5/7/2014Perfect casual spot for the location. Enjoy lunch menu, late night, very late night, breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An awesome time!yesy12Dined on 4/20/2014My friend and I loved this place, the food was delicious, definitely coming back! The food was fulfilling and we are coming back with more friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a coffee shop!YoRaDined on 4/14/2014Although I did not have coffee here, this place was perfect for what I had in mind. The bar is excellent! My boyfriend and I took advantage of happy hour. The appetizers and drinks at the bar are1/2 the price of the regular menu when dinning. It's a good idea to have a couple of drinks some appetizers at the bar and then dinner. The food here is honestly refreshing. So much flavor and so well cooked and well presented. I was overly surprised. I will be returning. Also, this place is excellent for the coming spring/summer. It has a cozy out door dinning with view of union squares hectic traffic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip itBrunchManVIPDined on 4/13/2014Small kitchen. Service terrible. Went for sunday brunch, took forever to get an omelette.
- Great local spotNCinNYCDined on 4/3/2014love the coffee shop. great for fun or business meetings. reasonable prices, great food, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodFeitelDined on 3/22/2014The food was good, i didn't notice music (so there should have been some vibrant stuff playing), and the waitstaff was mediocre. Further, I was seated at the worst possible table (right next to the kitchen) - I would think that reservations would yield a more desirable table than a walk-in party. If you do not already have such a policy in place, you should, as it would book up your restaurant faster and you would know in advance how many tables you will seat, how much staff you will need, and it would lend itself to less guesswork on the day of a shift.Special Features:
- bad chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/15/2014really bad roast chicken.. horrible...worse than diner food.. i know other things here are better..but avoid the real food at all costs
- Come for the pretty peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/6/2014The comfort food is pretty good here, and the well stocked bar does not let you dry out. What makes the place though (along with a solid, hip decor) is the pretty people. The women working here are usually well packaged: tall, slim and long haired. This wouldn't be too great if it wasn't for the fact that they make a certain crowd (women like them and men that are used to those women) feel at home here. As a result: good booze, ok food and pretty peoples.Special Features:
- I have been going to the CoffeeBobbyBoy1971VIPDined on 1/24/2014I have been going to the Coffee Shop for many years and it has always been a lovely dining experience. The food is good, and the prices are great for the ambiance and experience. Bar and drinks are great, too, and not watered down. Great scene and lots of youthful energy abound. Overall, I would recommend to anyone who is looking for a reasonably priced meal with friends or family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2014Wow, the food was a lot better than I was expecting. What used to be known as a restaurant for simply hiring models as staff, the food now takes center stage. Five Stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy, slow, crowded, but funMaceDined on 12/15/2013We made a reservation for a group of 8 at Coffee Shop. We arrived early, but were made to wait until about 10 minutes after our reservation time. It was pretty clear that they had forgotten our reservation completely, because they were rushing around a bit, making us wait, and then squished us into a seating space that could barely accommodate 6 people comfortably (fortunately there were only a very tight 7 of us). Food was good, server was nice...music was loud but then finally stopped. We had an enjoyable time, nonetheless, because of the fun group, and the food came out quickly and hit the spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HorribleHorribleVIPDined on 12/13/2013I have eaten here on quite a few occasions. We had 7:00 reservations, which they lost. When we were sat, it was obvious the servers were slammed. After 20 minutes of waiting for water, another patron went to the bar to let the bartender know we were still waiting. Finally we were acknowledged and placed our order immediately as we had a concert in Brooklyn to make at 8:00. Well the kitchen forgot to fire two of our entrees and we say waiting for these phantom entrees to arrive for an hour. Needless to say we missed the first half of the concert. Thanks Coffee Shop for the worst dining experience I have ever had.Special Features:
- Been a long timeWeissaroniDined on 12/6/2013I haven't eaten at the Coffee Shop in a few years, but it's the same place as it always was. Nice to know there is some consistency in the Union Square area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place with friendslizzzzzVIPDined on 12/5/2013Great place to hang out near the Union Square area. Would definitely recommend it to people. It has a nice diner feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect spot!DoveDined on 11/26/2013I've loved this place for years! And it is still great! Food is always really tasty and the scene is energetic and fun. Highly recommend the crab salad and the banana cream pie is a new favorite of mine. Came here recently for dinner with friends and awhile ago we went for a family brunch with my toddler. Perfect place for both! Neighborhood institution that can't be beat. Coming here for hot chocolate and burger stop during holiday shopping soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotMicheleDined on 11/26/2013Went to dinner here last night and had a great time. We had a reservation and we were seated as soon as we walked in. The vibe was energetic and the service was great. We had the Barbecue Chicken Sandwich and Salmon for main dishes and they both were delicious. I particularly want to rave about the coconut shrimp which was one of the appetizers we started with, they were perfectly cooked and crisp on the outside. I've been here before for breakfast/brunch, they make a great Bloody Mary and I highly recommend the California Wrap. When the weather gets nice again I highly recommend sitting outside. Since it's in the heart of Union Square its a great New York City spot for people watching while enjoying the weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made a reservation...leavingtownDined on 11/24/2013There was a group of 9 of us for Sunday morning breakfast. It can get to be a busy place so we made a reservation. Although the restaurant doesn't open until 8am (didn't know that) it allowed me to make a reservation for 7:30am. So when the 9 of us gathered outside in the cold we had to wait 30 minutes to get in. The early morning time was arranged so that 2 of our party could make a 9am meeting. This made us have to speed through our breakfast. Food was good, but we had to rush instead of enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deafening noiseWLRNYCDined on 11/23/2013noise level so high that one was reduced to speaking only with adjacent diners - noise was music as well as conversation. The should do a quiet room! Brazilian food good; other food acceptableSpecial Features:
- Iconic!AlexRDined on 11/21/2013Loved my lunch at Coffee Shop last week. The Burger, Tacos, and Sesame Chicken Salad are all awesome. The place was packed and had a great vibe. I'll definitely be bringing out-of-town guests here for a taste of a real New York place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was slow, thoughOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2013The service was slow, though friendly and helpful. The noise level, however, was RIDICULOUS ---- over-the-top LOUD, to the point where you couldn't hear yourself think or speak. We were seated in the back - which was better - but still annoying for anyone over thirty who wants to be mindful of their dining experience. Fixing this would make the place SO MUCH MORE DESIRABLE, as the FOOD WAS AMAZING.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.