The Clinton House
2 West Main Street
Clinton, NJ 08809Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
The Clinton House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theclintonhouse.com/
- Phone: 9087309300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday: 12:00pm - 8:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental
- Executive Chef: Pete Gialias
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining available for parties over 30.
- Private Party Contact: Julie Warren 9087309300
- Entertainment: The Bob Egan Entertainment group provides a rotating group of musicians on Friday evenings starting at 7:00 pm and Sunday afternoons staring at 4pm in our bar/lounge area.
A word from The Clinton House
The Clinton House located in beautiful historic Clinton, NJ was established as an inn in 1743. The cuisine centers on ample portions of fresh seafood prepared with an European flair, prime meats, and desserts baked in our in house bakery.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContinental
The Clinton House - Best Restaurants in Clinton ›
The Clinton House reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (51)neighborhood gem (36)fit for foodies (27)romantic (24)great for lunch (22)good for groups (21)vibrant bar scene (10)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (6)scenic view (6)hot spot (5)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Like going back in timeLuv2dineoutDined on 8/30/2014This restaurant is straight out of the 1970s with a menu that includes dishes like Beef Wellington, Prine Rib, Seafood Newberg and Pie ala Mode. But they do it well. My lobsters were succulent and cooked just right. Our waitress was efficient and pleasant. All in all, a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything everyone said it isDannyMc103Dined on 8/30/2014Which means it was excellent! Turtle soup was good (not great), but the king cut prime rib never stood a chance! Perfectly seasoned and med-rare. She had the rack of lamb that was turned into a pile of bones in record time. And definitely go chocolate with the dessert. Several choices and ours were both great (torte for her, Decadence for me). We had to park across the bridge, but that's a good thing. Walking over it by the mill just added to the experience of such a nice little town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer Send-offOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014The 18th century building makes a cozy back-drop to a wonderful evening with friends at the bar, in a dining room, or a little of both. The annual summer-end clam bake was generous and very good, complete with 1.25lb lobster, muscles, clams, wings, corn on the cob, potato, and chorizo. The apple pie was a real standout. The crust was absolutely perfect and the apples were covered in a delicious caramel sauce. The menu features a lot of old-school favorites, such as Beef Wellington and Seafood Newburg, and the chops and steaks are great options. Although there is a decent nod to vegetarians and especially pescatarians, vegans would do better elsewhere.Special Features:
- they never disappointoldfriend49Dined on 8/28/2014the staff, the menu, the ambiance....it is our favorite place to meet old friends.......we're greeted like old friends on every visit....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and MusicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Enjoyed the whole experience. We were told about limited parking but we had no problem finding a space right outside. The Food was excellent. The menu had a wide variety as well as specials. The music was entertaining and had a really nice variety. Will be back for more.Special Features:
- foodie13Dined on 8/23/2014always a good meal...never disappoints...a tad pricey, but overall, really great!Special Features:
- Great Food with a Great Staffdaddams77Dined on 8/22/2014This place will charm you. With a rustic interior and a waitstaff that is personable and kind this restaurant impressed me before I received my food. The food came out piping hot and in a timely manner. This is the first place we've eaten since moving to the area and I can only hope that we have similar experiences at other places we might visit.Special Features:
- SammieDined on 8/22/2014We love the Clinton House and go there whenever we can!Special Features:
- our anniversayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014Our experience was great. It was our 53rd anniversary and we couldn't have picked a better place to celebrate. Our waitress was delightful, the food was yummy and the drinks were wonderful. The waitress brought us a candle in our dessert to make our celebration even more festive.Special Features:
- BogartDined on 8/13/2014The food was great and the waitress was very pleasant. a very nice time had by all. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2014Lunch menu too limited.Need more sandwich type food.ie club --reubens--open hot roast beefI would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is great although pricey914MorganDined on 7/20/2014The Clinton House has been a family favorite of ours for some time. I had the filet mignon and it was cooked the way I ordered it. The food is good, although the menu is comparable to many other restaurants and in my opinion, the prices have gotten too high for the selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just for special occasionsfoodfan78Dined on 7/17/2014We reserve the Clinton House to celebrate special occasions but the price of the food is very reasonable considering the quality of the food is phenomenal. The drink prices far exceed expectations, too. Top shelf drinks were only $6.50 which is hard to come by and especially in such a nice restaurant. The charbroiled sirloin with the brandied au jus and the smoked trout were hands down homeruns. From start to finish, the meal and overall experience with the wait staff was fantastic. Looking forward to trying more menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable and EnjoyabledanmatyolaDined on 7/13/2014We recently visited the Clinton House again, after an absence of a year or two. It remains one of the best restaurants in the area. The food is always excellent, the service friendly and accommodating, and the building itself an historic treasure. It is a bit pricey, but dependably excellent and suitable for special occasions and for entertaining visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a treatoldfriend49Dined on 7/8/2014we try to get there once a month...travel quite a way so...it must be worth it...always treated like old friends.Special Features:
- Superb diningSaturdaysDined on 7/5/2014Always love going to the Clinton House for their outstanding menu items. We prefer a quiet, cozy area to dine where we can enjoy our alone time, so we asked for a booth in the back room. To our surprise the tables were full with very energetic diners, which limited our conversation to be heard above the rest.Special Features:
- Another great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014Reservation for 4, seated when everyone arrived. We had wonderful service, waitress was great , answering questions, checking with chef etc. Food was great, A very enjoyable and relaxing evening. Will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerstanthebballmanDined on 6/27/2014We usually eat here on special occasions. The food is almost always terrific and we've never been disappointed with the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional Tavern-Style DiningFramboisVIPDined on 6/22/2014Tried the Clinton House as we were passing through Clinton on the way home. It was kind of what I expected - the restaurant was right out of the 1950s - menu, décor, and service. The food was okay, the décor could use an update, but the service was great. We really enjoyed Yvonne's service. That said, there are so many better restaurants in the area, so I would not return.
- OliverDined on 6/22/2014A lovely dining place. Waitresses are all friendly. I look forward to dining there soon.Special Features:
- very comfortable and satisfyingJackDined on 6/21/2014everything was perfect. Especially the waitress, Sheryl, who was a true professional.Special Features:
- mstewolDined on 6/14/2014Wonderful setting. Historic building with beautiful stain glass and wooden beams throughout and a great bar area. The food was excellent and the service friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- foodie13Dined on 6/14/2014always good food and good service...reliable for a special occasionSpecial Features:
- Consistently GoodAliinNJDined on 6/14/2014The Clinton House is always good - never had a bad meal. The wait staff are always excellent, they get things right. The staff are also friendly and warm and make you feel like you're part of the family. Always a firm favorite when we want good food with a good atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always very good.Beauregard1Dined on 6/1/2014We have been going there for 35 years. We know we will enjoy our meal. I will say that the dress of some patrons left a lot to be desired; kids in little league uniforms? Shorts and sleeveless Ts on men? What happened to class?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mr. Tony Pucciarelliajp126Dined on 6/1/2014To Whom It May Concern: We are so happy that we have decided to return eating at the Clinton House. The food is fabulous. Best prime rib that I ever had! Carol, our waitress, is a delightful, caring individual. Overall, a wonderful experience! We shall remain loyal customers.Special Features:
- Will be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/31/2014The food was excellent. I had the crab cakes. Comparable to the best I have had.Special Features:
- Historic AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014The timelessness of the structure and quality of food has never waivered. Great Place and very reasonable.Special Features:
- LIKE COMING HOMEoldfriend49Dined on 5/29/2014EVERYONE MAKES YOU FEEL SO WELCOME....THE FOOD IS GREAT & NEW ITEMS NEVER DISAPPOINT....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Good Service BetterClintonrevDined on 5/28/2014Filet mignon and Rack of Lamb grilled perfectly. A bit pricey but entrees included salad, potato and vegetable. Would have preferred nicer ambiance. They sat us in bar area rather than main dining room. Experienced waitress was friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BoatmanVIPDined on 5/22/2014This is my go to restaurant for clients and family. The food has always been good and the service superb. I have been going to the Clinton House for many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Time Food FavoriteslibdevDined on 5/21/2014If you love old time food such as calves liver with bacon & onions, snapping turtle soup, and kings cut roast beef cooked to perfection, then this is the place for you! The atmosphere is cozy, but probably could use some updating. And the servers are sometimes a little smart alecky but that's because many of them have been working there for 30 years so they've earned it. I find the wine list a bit lacking, but that is because I am a Sauvignon Blanc drinker and they don't seem to have the best selection of these wines. But the food is very good, so the limited choice in wine easy to overlook.Special Features:
- everything was fineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/21/2014We had a good experience except the hostess was very rude - argued with me about the reservation since I changed the number from 5 to 6 people on open table!!! There was plenty of room for us and there was a table for 6 empty!
- Surprise!SpockDined on 5/19/2014I read some bad reviews about the CH. I didn't find anyone of the scenarios mentioned. Great place, Great Food, Great Service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningDelightedVIPDined on 5/13/2014My first visit to the Clinton house was perfect. Food service and ambience all very good. Our wait service was a joy. Will look forward to returning very soon.Special Features:
- consistentfoodie13Dined on 5/10/2014food is always good...sevice is the same...never a surprise, just good foodSpecial Features:
- Always pleasedluvagoodmealDined on 5/10/2014Have been going here for years, it is our go to place, cozy, comfortable, friendly, and always good food and pleasant service. Have never had a bad meal. We are fortunate to have this restaurant and even though we travel 35 minutes to get there we go here often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 309 reviews are from the The Clinton House reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/29/2014as always the food was excellent and the service was courteous, friendly & promptSpecial Features:
- outstanding!ChloeDined on 4/26/2014Clinton House has wonderful, delicious food. It never disappoints. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves great cuisineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for 6 at the Clinton House.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/21/2014I recommend eating at The Clinton House. We had a lovely table. The waitress was excellent. She replenished our drinks in a promptly manner. The service was superb. Our food was hot and delicious. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features: