The Clinton House
2 West Main Street
Clinton, NJ 08809Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
The Clinton House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theclintonhouse.com/
- Phone: (908) 730-9300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday: 12:00pm - 8:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental
- Executive Chef: Pete Gialias
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining available for parties over 30.
- Private Party Contact: Julie Warren 9087309300
- Entertainment: The Bob Egan Entertainment group provides a rotating group of musicians on Friday evenings starting at 7:00 pm and Sunday afternoons staring at 4pm in our bar/lounge area.
A word from The Clinton House
The Clinton House located in beautiful historic Clinton, NJ was established as an inn in 1743. The cuisine centers on ample portions of fresh seafood prepared with an European flair, prime meats, and desserts baked in our in house bakery.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContinental
The Clinton House - Best Restaurants in Clinton ›
The Clinton House reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (53)neighborhood gem (44)good for groups (32)romantic (30)fit for foodies (30)great for lunch (20)vibrant bar scene (17)notable wine list (7)scenic view (6)late-night find (6)hot spot (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Local History Needs HelpOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/23/2014Nice to see a traditional American menu (prime rib, seafood newburg) however food was bland. Cozy fire in the stone fireplace was only high point to ambiance. Would have been a nice quiet Sunday dinner except for karaoke at the bar. This old inn is in need of major renovation with attention to preserving its history - such as has been done at other local inns (Pittstown Inn, Farmhouse at the Grand Colonial). Woman at hostess desk seemed annoyed that she had to get off her chair to seat us, but our waitress was excellent.
- Historic & Delicious In ClintonOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/18/2014The historic Clinton House: a wonderfully maintained building with deep stone walls & dark woodwork. A calming and welcoming feeling permeates the building. We meet yearly for a "catch-up-dinner" chose the Clinton House. We were seated immediately: lovely table near the fireplace (cozy and charming). A Kir Royal & a special appetizer of Greek Cheese melted in Pitas with grilled slices of eggplant; a split of champagne with the Crab Cocktail - started our meal: both excellent& good portions. Next up: very fresh salads filled with lettuces, shredded carrots, red onion and cherry tomatoes. The house dressing was very good filled with blue cheese mine had blue cheese only: exactly as requested. Main courses: the rack of lamb, juicy, delicious and cooked to perfection with a good sized steaming baked potato and bright green broccoli. The duck breast, a pleasant surprise: the chef serves an entire breast, cut in half - an excellent sized serving: divine, darkened skin, moist, bursting with flavor, tender and juicy. Accompanying were delicious mashed sweet potatoes and a vegetable medley of carrots and broccoli. We raved over our meals. The evening feast ended with deserts: creme brûlée and the "Baby Chocolate Cake" (a small, individual cake), with a scoop of creamy coffee ice cream topped with whipped cream: and cups of tea. Bottom line: wish we could give it more stars! The Clinton House is an excellent dining place, with consistent quality and attentive staff. A great destination to meet your boss, a friend, your spouse, a special occasion - good for anyone looking for superb food, with a great selection of drinks, wine and beer/varied selection of teas, coffees, capuchino espresso. What more can you wish for! And the staff is great, very accommodating! Will definitely be returning "soon" I hope! Thank you Clinton House for a lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great favoritemaryann15Dined on 11/16/2014we have traveled to the Clinton House to celebrate our family special occasions. all these times we are friendly greeted and have not found any problems with service and their great menu selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedvinnyDined on 11/15/2014I had big expectations, so I was a little disappointed. Food was ok, but nothing spectacular. Prices were surprisingly reasonable. Hostess was great, but bar and wait staff were at best, ok. I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousTTZHTZDined on 11/14/2014Delicious meal. HUGE prime rib and fabulous stuffed salmon. Great service. Reservations were easy to make and we did not have to wait for our table. Lovely fireplace and piano bar in the background.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best crab cakes ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014We have been dining at the Clinton House for many years. The service is always friendly and efficient. The food consistently spot on. They serve the best crab cakes we have ever had, including all the seafood specialty restaurants in our area. We have never left the restaurant with anything but a satisfied and enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014We were there for my wife's birthday and are waitress Mary was absolutely terrific and helped to make it a very special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014We (3ppl) started wth: shrimp & crab cocktail along wth clams casino-perfect. Our entrée order(they were out of the lamb chops) was: 16 oz NY Strip, 28 oz T bone and Beef Wellington. The NY strip was slightly over cooked, not bad but had no taste. The T bone was cooked correctly but also had no taste. Worst of all was the Beef Wellington. It came out purple, completely unacceptable. They waitress apologized and said that happens once in awhile, hostess came over and said that it's a very difficult dish to prepare and made excuses but if you can't prepare it correctly, take it off the menu. Dessert was very good. Unfortunatly we don't go to dinner for apps & dessert. Very disappointed & didn't comp anything. Bill was over $200 wthout tip.
- awesome dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Our first time here, absolutely loved it! From bar to food to service. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Mick6Dined on 10/25/2014We live in Ohio and met friends there from NJ. We had eaten at the Clinton House about 5 years ago and found it to be even better. The food was excellent, the waitresses and others who worked their were extremely friendly which lead to a terrific dining experience. I would highly recommend the Clinton House as a restaurant of very high quality and standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE IT HEREoldfriend49Dined on 10/23/2014WE MAKE A POINT TO HAVING LUNCH WITH OUT OF TOWN FRIENDS ABOUT ONCE A MONTH....WE BOTH TRAVEL A FAIR DISTANCE TO GET TO THE CLINTON HOUSE SO.....YOU KNOW SOMETHING IS SPECIAL ABOUT THE PLACE....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimecabrillDined on 10/20/2014This was our first time dining here. We do an annual trip over to Peddler's Village in PA and then have an early (5 pm) dinner at a nice restaurant. The restaurant we have gone to in the past was closed for renovations so I had to research another nice romantic rustic place for dinner and came across the Clinton House. We decided on it because of it's location as it was on our way back home. We had a very nice meal. Would definitely reccommend this place.Special Features:
- FantasticDinergirlDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I have been vciming to the Clinton House for many years. The food is always delicious and the serving provides leftovers for the next day. The steaks are done to perfection and the crab au gratin and crab cakes are a must have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousnlm10Dined on 10/17/2014We have eaten here in the past. The food is always delicious. Portions are large, we always bring some home with us. Service can be sketchy. This time it was great! Always a nice outing.Special Features:
- TrollTrollDined on 10/15/2014Have been many times and always excellent the wait staff could use more trainingSpecial Features:
- Great TimeNJDinerDined on 10/11/2014Service was great. Food Outstanding. Felt welcomed. Saurbrauten amazing!Special Features:
- greattimeDined on 10/11/2014awesome food, great service, friendly staff. All make it a great dining experienceSpecial Features:
- great experiencevisitorDined on 10/10/2014We had great experience at the Clinton House! Good food and great service. We would definitely go back. Good steak and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Forget cocktails.BuzzGundersenVIPDined on 9/27/2014Food was quite good, although the Beef Wellington used a very distinctive, almost distracting, chicken-liver pate, rather than the traditional pate de foie gras. Despite the restaurant's website claim that it is "master of the classic cocktail art" a simple request for a perfect manhattan came up empty--no real Rye available;. And forget a classic martini; they have no orange bitters. The wine of the day, however, was an excellent mid-level Barbera del Monferrato for only $28.
- Huntetdon County Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Great food & service; One of the best in Hunterdon County! Service was prompt & friendly. We had the clams casino & cran cakes appetizers- both delicious! For dinner we ordered Prime Rib & Filet Mignon-perfectly prepared. The only "downside" is the ambiance, could use some music ... even though it was crowded it was very quiet! Would return & recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best in clintondaisyDined on 9/19/2014This restaurant is a favorite for my husband and I. We always stop at the Clinton house on our way to the new England states. Everytime is fantastic. service is always good and food is amazing. A must stop to this restaurant.Special Features:
- JerseyboyJerseyboyDined on 9/15/2014Would recommend to anyone to go to the Clinton House for lunch. It was perfect for its menu, food and ambiance. We ended up chatting for 2 hours! Haven't tried it for dinner but will sometime soon.Special Features:
- Crab CakesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014We have been frequenting this restaurant for twenty years. Can't think of one time that the food didn't surpass our expectations. The best crab cakes, hands down. There is not a seafood restaurant that can top their crab cakes.Special Features:
- Special Occasion RestaurantFirewomanDined on 9/10/2014The on-line reservation process was very easy and questions were responded to within 24 hours. I loved the fact that while it is a more upscale restaurant, they still offered options for the children and didn't seem annoyed that they were dining with us. The service was outstanding throughout the evening. Appetizers (oysters on the 1/2 shell & clams casino) were outstanding-neither are found locally too often. T-bone & prime rib were good, but I can't say they were better than other local establishments and they were twice the price; certainly not worth the extra cost. The vegetables & potatoes that came with the steaks were cooked to perfection. Dessert was spectacular AND my husband's was complimentary for his birthday - amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable 70's flashback.PookieswifeDined on 9/6/2014Had a nice meal at the CH this past weekend. Service and food were very good. If you're looking for a 70's flashback but with 21st century prices, this is the place for you. Go for the beef Wellington!Special Features:
- 8toomuchDined on 9/5/2014We've been dining at the Clinton House the past thirty years and have always received excellent service and great food in a special ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old-timey great foodscotchontherocksVIPDined on 9/3/2014A kind of retro menu, but it has all the old favorites. My beef wellington was excellent!Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014The lobster tails were amazing! The lamb wonderful as always! Prime Rib very good too. No complaints, perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for groupsPaulDined on 8/31/2014The Clinton House is a fine place for family and group get-togethers. The menu is varied, the portions are large, the prices are reasonable, the service is friendly and leisurely, and the noise level allows for conversation. We were a group of seven, and we spent over two hours there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like going back in timeLuv2dineoutDined on 8/30/2014This restaurant is straight out of the 1970s with a menu that includes dishes like Beef Wellington, Prine Rib, Seafood Newberg and Pie ala Mode. But they do it well. My lobsters were succulent and cooked just right. Our waitress was efficient and pleasant. All in all, a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything everyone said it isDannyMc103Dined on 8/30/2014Which means it was excellent! Turtle soup was good (not great), but the king cut prime rib never stood a chance! Perfectly seasoned and med-rare. She had the rack of lamb that was turned into a pile of bones in record time. And definitely go chocolate with the dessert. Several choices and ours were both great (torte for her, Decadence for me). We had to park across the bridge, but that's a good thing. Walking over it by the mill just added to the experience of such a nice little town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer Send-offOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014The 18th century building makes a cozy back-drop to a wonderful evening with friends at the bar, in a dining room, or a little of both. The annual summer-end clam bake was generous and very good, complete with 1.25lb lobster, muscles, clams, wings, corn on the cob, potato, and chorizo. The apple pie was a real standout. The crust was absolutely perfect and the apples were covered in a delicious caramel sauce. The menu features a lot of old-school favorites, such as Beef Wellington and Seafood Newburg, and the chops and steaks are great options. Although there is a decent nod to vegetarians and especially pescatarians, vegans would do better elsewhere.Special Features:
- Not accommodating, old fashioned.VictoriaNJDined on 8/30/2014Server was very professional, but I have dietary restrictions and they refused to make any adjustments. For $45 a plate they could be more accommodating. I unable to eat vegetables, so I asked if they could substitue soup or something for the salad and sides, and they refused saying firmly no substitutions, even after I explained why. They promised to wrap up what I was unable to eat so that I could take it home for someone else, and this was not done either. So I could help but feel a bit ripped off. Steak was good, but the soup that I and to pay extra for, was overly salty, and they seasoned the lobster which I didn't care for. Underwhelming, very old fashioned - not in a good way, not a lot of flavor, and not a lot of variety on menu.
- they never disappointoldfriend49Dined on 8/28/2014the staff, the menu, the ambiance....it is our favorite place to meet old friends.......we're greeted like old friends on every visit....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and MusicoutfordinnerDined on 8/24/2014Enjoyed the whole experience. We were told about limited parking but we had no problem finding a space right outside. The Food was excellent. The menu had a wide variety as well as specials. The music was entertaining and had a really nice variety. Will be back for more.Special Features:
- foodie13Dined on 8/23/2014always a good meal...never disappoints...a tad pricey, but overall, really great!Special Features:
- Great Food with a Great Staffdaddams77Dined on 8/22/2014This place will charm you. With a rustic interior and a waitstaff that is personable and kind this restaurant impressed me before I received my food. The food came out piping hot and in a timely manner. This is the first place we've eaten since moving to the area and I can only hope that we have similar experiences at other places we might visit.Special Features:
- SammieDined on 8/22/2014We love the Clinton House and go there whenever we can!Special Features:
- our anniversayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Our experience was great. It was our 53rd anniversary and we couldn't have picked a better place to celebrate. Our waitress was delightful, the food was yummy and the drinks were wonderful. The waitress brought us a candle in our dessert to make our celebration even more festive.Special Features:
- BogartDined on 8/13/2014The food was great and the waitress was very pleasant. a very nice time had by all. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 338 reviews are from the The Clinton House reviews archive.