The Cleveland Restaurant
25 Cleveland Place
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Cleveland Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theclevelandnyc.com/
- Phone: 2122740900
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 6:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from The Cleveland Restaurant
A new 34 seat restaurant located at 25 Cleveland Place in Nolita with a 40 seat outdoor garden. Our cuisine is approachable New-American with a variety of Mediterranean influences. We offer a selection of regional draft beers and natural/organic wines by the glass and bottle. The Cleveland is a neighborhood restaurant with a social atmosphere at a casual price point.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Cleveland Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (9)great for outdoor dining (9)hot spot (4)late-night find (4)great for brunch (4)romantic (4)notable wine list (3)good for groups (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)special occasion (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great ambiance.OTwistDined on 8/5/2014This restaurant has a great ambiance, especially in the large outdoor garden in the back. The service is friendly and attentive. The food is good, but not great. I think the casual lunch menu is actually better than the dinner menu which lacks a bit in flavor and execution. I would definitely recommend it for lunch and perhaps I'll try it again for dinner in six months to see if they have improved their dinner menu. Great vibe and staff. Also the garden is quiet and you can have a conversation without shouting. It's difficult to find that these days in NYC unfortunately. It's appreciated.Special Features:
- Cleveland in NYComwolfertDined on 7/19/2014We had a fabulous Dinner last Saturday night. The food was delicious, the staff very attentive. The only improvement couldb e made to the exterior of the garden. it seemed to be work in progress. OliverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eel09Dined on 6/20/2014I had read that the Cleveland had a new chef, which is why I went back. I had NOT realized that in fact the restaurant had closed and reopened so the beautiful backward was Not permitted and not available for dining and that the restaurant had no liquor license. This was disappointing.
- went for the garden but no go!Travels2eatDined on 6/16/2014We selected the Cleveland for the chance to dine in the garden but unfrotunately it was closed but we went anyway and we were not sorry! Interesting dishes, with delicate flavors, and lovely service! The tables are cramped but the happy atmosphere made it so that didn't matter.Special Features:
- Very UnderwhelmingBesten74Dined on 5/20/2014For the money, this is the most disappointing meal I have had in a long time. The tastes are bland, the portions are small, and the presentation is exceptionally boring. The space itself is quite cool and solid outdoor seating in Nolita/Soho is great. Come for a drink out back on a nice day, but do not order food.
- Interesting neighborhood spotbluestarDined on 5/11/2014On Lafayette among several too hot spots the Cleveland serves up innovative and well prepared food in a less hyped atmosphere the menu is not wide but the pumpernickel with lentil pistachio spread was super. Brussels sprouts salad tasty but maybe a tad dry cod was perfect service: excellent not preening great knowledge of the wine list only disappointment was garden not open for dinner just drinks. One tip ale sure your table not under speakerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 40 reviews are from the The Cleveland Restaurant reviews archive.
- HIPSTER SERVICErefinedinerDined on 4/29/2014The Cleveland had some excellent dishes (like the Brussels sprout salad and the half roasted chicken) but the service was in the popular "williamsburg" vein of service: aloof and friendly and in absolutely no rushSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One issueuscreviewerVIPDined on 4/16/2014I asked if I could have the crispy duck pastry without cucumber, and that was nbot a problem and it was delicious. However I ordered the grilled eggplant with bulgur salad at the same time, and was surprised the waiter didn't mention that the bulgur salad was full of small cucumber bits so I couldn't eat it. When I mentioned it he did nothing.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the food and atmosphereGallerygalDined on 3/20/2014We were very happy with the winter salad and calamari appetizers, the steak main, and with the wines by the glass we ordered. The tagliatelle/fish main dish was good but very salty. The atmosphere was nice, with the tables feeling private, but it was loud. Trendy, young crowd. The service was very nice but they were nearly neurotic about refilling our water glasses (maybe they knew about the salt overdose), and there was a small error on the check that was dealt with nicely but not quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok not greatDespinaVIPDined on 3/19/2014Went with great expectations but found it over priced and over spiced and not that amazing. The restaurant itself is beautiful though.
- new menuDmacDined on 2/20/2014We dined at The Cleveland for about our 10th visit. They have instituted a new menu and have removed some of their best dishes from the choices. They are eliminated the Moroccan style chicken , Arctic Char, the salmon and avocado, the mushroom tart, the dinner salad, the chopped salad, all of which were excellent. They have kept the brussel sprout salad but it is now made with a heavy, creamy dressing which does not work wells since the brussel sprouts are a bit heavy anyway. The new roasted chicken is not nearly as interesting on the palate. The new pasta dish is a tagliatelle but with fish. It is not as good as the pasta from their previous menu. Doubt we will return unless they bring back the old chef!
- Valentine's Prix Fixe Dupeioff13Dined on 2/14/2014Cleveland's Valentine's Day prix fixe dinner represented everything that's wrong with prix fixe dining: too-high prices for too-little blah food. My wife and I are big fans of Cleveland -- we've had great meals there where they give you generous portions of flavorful dishes -- usually. But this prix fixe was the worst. Not because it cost $85 per person -- a steep price for a funky local like Cleveland -- but because the restaurant failed to deliver any value. The food was bland, the portions lame, and the service incredibly slow. The Cleveland took advantage of us on this "special occasion," seeing how they could get away with the least amount of food (and quality) for the most amount of money. We left not only hungry, but angry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The waiter was great and friendlyMelemellyVIPDined on 2/4/2014The waiter was great and friendly but we waited a long time in between courses.
- Great vegan-friendly spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/18/2014I loved The Cleveland because they have dishes that appeal to a variety of diets. On Saturday night I went for dinner, and the menu had a burger, chicken, fish, steak, and great vegetarian options that were easily flexed into vegan dishes (example - Brussels sprout salad with trout roe easily becomes vegan without the trout roe). Friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere and decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have eaten here severalDmacDined on 1/3/2014We have eaten here several times and the food is consistently good as is the service. Very low key atmosphere.Special Features:
- Very accommodating!BlakeDined on 11/19/2013Great if you are looking for a spot around Bdwy Lafayette area. We had a table for 4 in the window (2 members of our party were late but they sat jus two of us, which was nice since it was cold out!) and in the end 1 of the 4 never showed up. They were great about it -- and we ordered a lot to be fair. Service was solid, food was delicious, and it was a nice neighborhood spot. Would def recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciousioff13Dined on 11/19/2013No matter what the dish, from the sides to the entrees to the salads, one really can't go wrong at this place. This was my second time at The Cleveland, the first being for brunch, and both times, every plate delivered. Inside is a cozy environment, best for parties of no more than 4, in my opinion. This may be my new local favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentLeslieVIPDined on 11/5/2013Saw this just driving by in a cab one day. Said "That cute, lets go there sometime" As I went to high school in Cleveland so it was easy to remember the name. We went on our first date night as a married couple. It was perfect. Menu is great. Not your normal dishes. Have great pairings with each dish. Love that they use Kale. Food was excellent, every single bite. My husband and I are quite picky and thought this place was just the perfect little spot. We think it will be our new "Spot".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!CarmenVIPDined on 10/11/2013Great food, casual atmosphere. My friends from out of town loved it. We had the brussel sprouts salad (never thought I would rave about a dish with brussel sprouts in it). It was delicious! We had several dishes which we shared. All of them delicious, including the french fries, amazingly delicious too. The chocolate soufflle was a bit overcooked but nevertheless tasted great. Loved the place and the service. I will definitely come back!Special Features:
- Ambiance and Middle-Eastern flairLeonDined on 10/8/2013Delicious, seasonal menu with Middle-Eastern flair; an excellent wine list, garden dining for clement weather - what could be better. The gracious staff round out an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WilliamVito84Dined on 9/27/2013Inviting and Comforting we were immediately sat at the table of our choice. A few minutes later William came to our table and asked if there was anything he could do for us. The offer was honest and sincere as the rest of our stay and meal was attended to with thought and care. The food was fresh and delicious and presented with artistry. Spencer O.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- improve!!!ZingaDined on 9/10/2013the menu needs more creativity - great appetizers but not good entrees ( artic char was too dry and too heavy side dishes w/ it - service is not very attentive - sloppy - great location - nice garden - altogether - it needs improvement -Special Features:
- Terrific place and fantasticBeefVIPDined on 9/3/2013Terrific place and fantastic garden to just chill and have a great meal. Food was properly seasoned and well prepared. Very much recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The outside location was novelZooeyRDined on 8/23/2013The outside location was novel and pleasant. The food was amongst the most delicious I've ever had. Every diner in our party rated their dish as succulent tasty and interesting. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was disappointingPMNYDined on 8/10/2013Everything is right about this place except the food. We ordered mussels and lamb chop that night, and the mussels was too buttery to our dislike, and the lamb was only so-so.
- New Yorker magazine led me astrayOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/9/2013It's rare the New Yorker gives a restaurant a good review so I went with high expectations. Maybe the restaurant was having a bad night or maybe I ordered the wrong things, but my food (kale salad and cod special) were disappointing. Both had more sweetness than I like in non-dessert items.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catatonic service-very good food!EVFoodieVIPDined on 8/4/2013Well, in all our restaurant going, we've never encountered such uninvolved, "blah" service. The food (carpaccio of branzino, tomato salad, pasta with scallops) was actually delicious, and the garden setting is very pleasant, but it's hard to recommend going here based on this experience. Barely a smile on our server's face - in fact, almost no eye contact whatsoever. And when we asked for an explanation of a couple of menu items, the response was "what would you like to know"? We wanted to try a dessert, but after waiting 30 minutes from when our main course plates were cleared, we decided to leave. Overall, a very disappointing experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go back againOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2013We ate outside in the garden area out in the back which was so pleasant on a warm summer evening. Our waiter was patient, helpful, and attentive, but not at all overbearing. We had the kale salad , delicious hummus, branzino, and orechiette with tiger shrimp. Dessert was the chocolate fondant cake, which comes with your choice of ice cream. I chose the almond. Also the grapefruit campari sorbet which was so refreshing. This meal was truly outstanding, and I look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food as just ok. Nothing toneighborDined on 7/14/2013Food as just ok. Nothing to write home about for the price.
- very cute restaurant but thepickyEaterVIPDined on 6/13/2013very cute restaurant but the portions are on the small side. food is also very healthy. good ambiance and great back outside patio garden with lots of tables.Special Features:
- Good Restaurant but Tries too HardNYCFoodieVIPDined on 6/5/2013Cleveland should be what it is, a good neighborhood restaurant. You get the feeling that they try too hard like the chef wants his own show on the Foot Chanel. Prices are very high for what it is and although the food is good it does not rise to the level of neighborhood restaurants like Public or Terisi's. What Cleveland offers is it's beautful garden where you can dine al fresco which at these prices is the only reason to dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice garden, Terrible foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/1/2013The Cleveland was a huge disappointment. The ambience is lovely but the food is TERRIBLE. All 4 people in my party were disappointed with their meals. We got an appetizer, entree, and split a dessert. Unfortunately everything was sub-par. The outdoor garden is lovely and casual but I will definitely not be going back.
- Just So-Sosls7865VIPDined on 5/18/2013Went here on a recommendation of a friend who lives in the area. They have a nice wine list, but I felt the food choices were very limited and definitely not vegetarian friendly. Service was good and they were attentive, but felt the whole dining experience was rushed. We were in and out of there within thirty-five minutes!Special Features:
- Beautiful garden, friendly servicekristah42VIPDined on 5/15/2013Try the avocado salmon tar-tar. A beautiful, delicious dish. Hanger steak with okra and asparagus also very good. In good weather, dine out back in the garden.Special Features:
- Worst Cheeseburger on the PlanetstarfoodieVIPDined on 4/28/2013Our starters were fine, and the hummus was actually delicious. But the entrees were below mediocre. My cheeseburger was the worst I've ever had. It was thin and served closer to medium well than the medium rare requested, and the cheese was not only not melted, it was ice cold. The pasta with shrimp was equally horrible. The wine list is extremely overpriced for a place like this --- really bare-bones.
- Mediocre EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2013We had reservations here for a group of 3. When we arrived, it was obvious they made a mistake because we were seated at a 2 top with a chair added on right where the main path of traffic came from the front door. We lost 3 forks and had to consolidate and remove things from the table because it was so cramped. Then the "whole" branzino only came in fillets. This would have been fine, but the fish was overcooked. The Kale salad tasted like ranch dressing had been poured over it and the french fries were undercooked. However their mussels were decent and the bread and olive oil was awesome. I can see this place being great, but they seriously need to figure out their menu. It's a beautiful spot and a great location.Special Features:
- Amazing Amazing AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/5/2013The Cleveland exudes a sort of effortless ability to make anything well. For a young restaurant, the willingness (and competence) to change menus on a nightly basis (of course, dishes are recycled but the idea is to keep things simple and 'synergistic'), promises a staying power predictable despite The Cleveland's age. All fish dishes are outstanding. Arctic char and Bronzino for two. The Kale salad is a wonderful appetizer and try the side vegetables. Also the beer selection is, for once, narrow enough to be navigable and great enough to leave nothing wanting. A+Special Features:
- The portions were small -OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/4/2013The portions were small - and only 4 small octupus on the pasta entree!!! The wine pours were ridiculously small - basically a half-glass of wine. While the food was okay to good, I wouldn't return here.
- DoisOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/25/2013Overall, I was disappointed about the lack of responsiveness by the wait staff to our comment on the food. My friend, who was being taken out for his birthday, and I both ordered the cauliflower soup and complained to our waiter and another employee that the soup was too salty--almost to the point of being inedible. While the other employee said that he would tell the kitchen, I was surprised that we were neither comped for the dessert nor had the charges for the soup removed from the bill. I would not go back or recommend this restaurant to others.
- We did a set course with pairing.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2013We did a set course with pairing. All the dishes were served at room tempature even the steak. The wine was poured at less then half glass .this was irritatingSpecial Features: