The Classic Cup
301 W 47th Street
Kansas City, MO 64112Neighborhood:
Plaza / Brookside
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Classic Cup
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.classiccup.com/
- Phone: 8167531840
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:30am; Brunch: Saturday: 8:00am - 11:00am; Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Saturday: 8:00am - 11:00am; Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Turner
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Classic Cup
The Country Club Plaza is the place to see and be seen in K.C., and this European cafe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Classic Cup - Best Restaurants in Plaza / Brookside ›
The Classic Cup reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (58)great for lunch (43)great for brunch (39)neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (29)special occasion (24)scenic view (20)good for groups (15)notable wine list (15)romantic (11)hot spot (9)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great KC treasureNanaDined on 10/28/2014What a good place to meet friends for lunch and be able to linger awhile to visit. Food and service excellentSpecial Features:
- Sunday BrunchHokieinKCDined on 10/19/2014My husband and I haven't been to the Classic Cup in a while and decided it was time for a return visit. Given it was Sunday, and its popularity as a destination on the weekends, we quickly made a reservation. I highly recommend doing so when you don't want to wait. We were seated promptly, and our server was friendly, attentive but never intrusive. She was always around to ask if we wanted more coffee. Our food was brought out in a timely manner. I had the lox platter and my husband opted for the omelet plate. We were very happy with our choices. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great find at the PlazaJVitelaDined on 10/4/2014Went here on the recommendation of a friend and it did not disappoint. Great food, fantastic service and an impressive wine list. All around a solid dining experience. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Food was good, service was terribleDinerVIPDined on 9/27/2014Went for a bachelorette dinner. We were seated for about 10 minutes and no one came to the table with water or asked what we wanted to drink. I had to track the waitress down and order things for the table. One server spilled ketchup on several of the girls and some girls never received the second drink they ordered.
- GoodCsueDined on 9/21/2014One of my favorite places to eat and drink in KC. Food is always good and we enjoy dining on the patio. A destination stop for our annual girls weekend getaway.Special Features:
- JulesDined on 9/19/2014I ordered the stuffed salmon and it was very good but my dining companions indicated the food wasn't as good as they remember (flank steak, lamb and pork). Our server, Jake, was okay. We ordered the appetizer trio (hummus, artichoke dip and bruschetta) and did not have enough pita, bread or bagel chips. After we had each taken a serving to start, it was very noticeable we needed more pita, bagel chips or even just some bread for the remainder of the appetizer (which was more than half). We stopped Jake when he was passing our table and asked for more, much time passed and we finally received a few slices of pita at the same time our entrees arrived. Not the best experience, but the open air seating near the front patio provided a nice feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance, food, wait staffEasytopleaseDined on 9/5/2014This is one of my long-time favorite restaurants. Food is reliably delicious and I love coming here for a long chat with my friends. The wait staff are friendly and there's never a rush or a disappointment.Special Features:
- Understaffed and Terrible ServiceLeibbrandt12Dined on 8/30/2014I decided to take my mother out for her birthday to brunch at the Classic Cup, which has always been a mainstay on the plaza. Initially the experience started off wonderfully, but we noticed that our waitress was nowhere to be found. I eventually had to ask another server to get us ice water while we waited to place our order. Our waitress eventually took our food/coffee order after almost 20 mins of her walking by our table. The food was so mediocre it was unreal. Both of our meals were cold, and after asking three times for a coffee refill to no avail, we decided to just pay our ticket and leave. The waitress was nowhere to be found, nor were there any other servers, so we left cash on the table and left. So disappointing.Special Features:
- needs more brunch selectionsVeloManDined on 8/24/2014While the Classic Cup is one of my favorites in KC, their brunch menu could use a couple more brunch items that include traditional breakfast foods, such as eggs and crepes without getting too foo-foo. Many of their items are more lunch than brunch. I also have to comment on the Country Club's growing problem of ambient noise. It used to be my favorite experience at Classic Cup to sit outside along the sidewalk but that's no longer the case with Kansas City's lack of enforcement of it's noise ordinances. It's not just a nuisance which makes it difficult to have a conversation, but often downright painful as extremely loud vehicles pass by on 47th St. Such is making me look elsewhere for outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I don't know why people eat hereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014We did have reservations, but that was the only good thing We waited a very long time before being greeted by a server or receiving water or coffee. I ordered the eggs Benedict, my guest ordered the veggie omelet. When the food arrived, it was cold. Not room temperature, but cold. I looked around for the server but was unable to find her. All the other servers were busy with their own tables. My guest indicated her veggie omelet was hot but there was so much mozzarella cheese inside it was like chewing an eraser. We did eat our meal as there appeared to be no other options. The server never came to our table again until she brought the check. Shel left it on our table, took our plates and told us to have a good day.
- SAW01VIPDined on 8/17/2014Normally very good but the food was a bit over cooked for everyone in our party of 4.Special Features:
- TCTChapDined on 8/17/2014Excellent breakfast. Sicilian omelet was fantastic. Average service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteenjoynewplacesDined on 8/17/2014I love their brunch, always delicious and great service!Special Features:
- Saturday LunchlizeeatsDined on 8/16/2014The food was great! We started with the baked brie and then I had the salmon salad - both were delicious! The service was okay. It was a Saturday at lunch time, but our server didn't come back to check on us very often and we had to ask him a few times to check on the soup of the day.Special Features:
- Great food and prices reasonableLenexafamilyDined on 8/9/2014We had not been to the Classic Cup in some time and we went at night and sat out on the sidewalk and it was very nice. The food was excellent and the duck was superb. Between the great food and fun people watching, we had a great time. Will be going back.Special Features:
- Enjoyable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014I had dinner at Classic Cup last Saturday. The service was great, our server was very considerate. I set this up on OpenTable, and just made a note that my girlfriend was having a birthday. I didn't mention it when I got there, and she remembered and brought her out a dessert. It was great. The food was pretty good, and the prices were reasonable. Overall, I was pleased with it.Special Features:
- Great for BIZness BreakfastmoAbVIPDined on 8/8/2014The Classic Cup is one of the places where KC business goes to have breakfast. And so do a lot of others folks. The food is great. Service is good. In good weather one can sit outside. The noise level is low and conversation thus made easy. Reservations are recommended. Have also had an evening meal there which was great. They have a bar as well. It is aptly named for it is a classic. Go at least once.Special Features:
- Best Plaza breakfastGretchenDined on 8/3/2014Classic Cup Cafe offers the best breakfast on the Plaza any day of the week. Our visit turned out to be a rainy day, so the usual foot traffic was limited, as was seating (at least half of their tables are outside on the sidewalk or deck). Sunday's brunch menu has a variety of options, though is also somewhat limited to serve both breakfast and lunch items. All the breakfast favorites are there, though: the delicious sticky french toast (on french bread!), fluffy pancakes, eggs benedict, omelettes and fritatta. Our server was attentive but not smothering, and our food arrived lightning fast! Finally: don't miss the Roasterie Classic Cup blend coffee! Best in town.Special Features:
- Dr. Kathleen BrewergolferkathleenDined on 8/1/2014Always great! One of our favorite places. Wish the offered Dutch Babies during the weekiSpecial Features:
- Nice place; Slow serviceOpenMindedDined on 7/30/2014I made a reservation ahead of time for a weekday morning. Got seated right away and we were given coffee and water as soon as we sat down! After that it became just OK. The restaurant was somewhat empty (considering how full they always seem to be ) but the food took quite a while in coming out. It was all good but nothing over the top! The omelets were good but the potatoes were a little dry. I was really disappointed with the French toast though. We had gone there in January and it was a totally different dish; the 'toast' was like sliced pieces of French bread with such a wonderful topping it didn't even require syrup. I don't know if it was just a seasonal item but I was so disappointed not to have that same tasty plate!Special Features:
- It started with sangriaFood4thoughtDined on 7/29/2014A great summer lunch indoors started with red sangria. The swordfish pasta pesto was a lighter, but filling lunch portion. Delicious. Swift service in a packed place!Special Features:
- Not a fan.Foodie4Dined on 7/26/2014Service falls off considerably when sitting outside or on special occasion. Stopped serving brunch at 11 on weekend so had to order off lunch menu. After two meals outside that were sub par, not likely to go back. Staff seems overwhelmed and confused. Disappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014It was a perfect place to celebrate a birthday. We requested to be seated outside (in the front, not on the deck) and were granted that request. The weather was great and the meals were super. Our waitress was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great food but...OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/18/2014The food was great. However, I was served key lime pie on a hot plate. The whip cream was melting before it was served. When pointed out to the waiter he said the plate just came out of the dishwasher. Really! They must be running short on dishes. It was not even that busy. Pretty poor for the classy resturant.Special Features:
- DavidDined on 7/14/2014One of our favorites. Food is consistent and at a reasonable price. Prefer outdoor seating when possible to people watch and the weather cooperated this time. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Great Time & Great ServiceDeuceVIPDined on 7/13/2014We and a group of long time friends had a great dinner at Classic Cup! The food was very good as usual. The noise level was quiet so that we could easily converse and hear. Our server, Zane, did a great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Cup BrunchbpggDined on 7/13/2014The hostess was very gracious and held my reservation for 2 even though the place was packed. I called to inform them I would be 20 minutes late. The food was just fair. I had to find a manager to get a refill on drinks. After our food came did not see the waiter until the check came. I hate to write this since this had always been my favorite place. I still enjoyed sitting outside along the sidewalk but was disappointed in the food and wait service.Special Features:
- Food was ExcellentKCDinerDined on 7/11/2014Everything about the meal was great... the taste, presentation and service. We ordered 4 different meals, an appetizer and dessert. We all commented about the wonderful flavors of each meal. The key lime pie and presentation by our server was wonderful. The only thing that was a little off was the temperature of the room. It was an extremely warm night in KC and we were looking forward to cooling off by dining inside rather than on the patio. However, that was not the case and we were all uncomfortable due to the temp. The physical comfort didn't ruin our enjoyment of the lovely meal by any stretch and we would most definitely return to The Classic Cup in the future.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/9/2014The food was excellent, we were seated immediately and Nicole our server was fantastic and the manager came and spoke with us also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect spot for a date or lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014I love the Classic Cup in summer to sit on the sidewalk terrace or back patio and enjoy the fabulous food and Country Club Plaza scene. I love to sit by the fireplace in the winter and watch it snow. It is great for breakfast, a cup of coffee, lunch with friends or a date in the evening. The wait staff are wonderful.Special Features:
- Seafood feast!KrispyburgDined on 7/5/2014We had the Big Bowl o Mussels as an app, and they were incredible, followed by the special "Big Fish Sammy." It was Icelandic Cod (and our server knew the difference between Atlantic and Icelandic Cod; Icelandic Cod grew in a colder environment and therefore has more fat). IT WAS DELICIOUS! We sat outside in the front, and it was a great people-watching spot. Overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 166 reviews are from the The Classic Cup reviews archive.
- Attentive service, salmon benedictOnTheRoadDined on 6/29/2014Although it was too warm to sit outside in dressy clothes, we enjoyed sitting next to the floor-to-ceiling windows, ideal for people-watching. Salmon Eggs Benedict was tasty and fried potatoes were crispy good. Perhaps I should have swapped potatoes for fruit... Good coffee. Attentive, but not overbearing service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carmen'sKansasCityRestaurantsDined on 6/28/2014Enjoyed very much! Food unusual but very tasty. WIsh they had a bigger menu but enjoyed what was on it.Special Features:
- Always greatrangermp25Dined on 6/28/2014This time, the for the first time, our server was less than greatSpecial Features:
- Good food. Poor service.DisappointedDined on 6/24/2014I gave Classic Cup a 2nd chance, it won't be getting a third. While both times the food was good, the service was lackluster. My recent experience started out well. The server was attentive, but we were her only table. When she got a 2nd table (the place was dead) the wheels fell off. My friend inquired about a gluten free menu and the server seemed put out. We had to encourage her to ask the chef what items were gluten free. Later she delivered bread, but no plates, silverware or napkins. We would have flagged her down but she did not reappear until our main courses arrived. A drink order took 10 minutes to receive. Rather than stay and enjoy cocktails on the patio after dinner. We tabbed out and went to another restaurant.Special Features:
- Usually a favorite.....classicalmelodysDined on 6/22/2014I love this place, especially in great weather. Perfect for people watching when you're sitting outside. We were seated inside, about an inch from the door that was constantly opening and closing (I should have objected); my friend's soup was forgotten, then brought later (it should have been first). It was ok, but not my ideal experience.Special Features:
- Fool me once...live2eatDined on 6/22/2014I love the unique menu, food and outdoor patio and try to support this local restaurant. However time and time again I am disappointed by the service. They are consistently slow, inattentive and ambivalent. We had to ask a different server for items twice since our server disappeared for a long stretch of time. They could really benefit from some staff training. The food is usually the saving grace here, but both of our breakfast items included english muffins on which the bottoms were so hard we had to saw through them. We were hardly able to eat our food and only after much effort with a serrated knife.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Hot day, waitress should consider asking customers if they would like the overhead fans on (with lights in ceiling on tables and no fans going - was uncomfortable). Would have sat outside in the back but even the umbrellas did not offer shade (sorry). My sister's potpie was med to cold.Special Features:
- Best Plaza Outdoor DiningdrebeeVIPDined on 6/21/2014Classic Cup is really a gem for Kansas City! Not only is it not a chain store but the place has a great fireplace for winter dining and the outside has two dining areas!! What is there not to love about the cuisine, cocktails, wine, and fun with friends.Special Features:
- excellent serviceBL535Dined on 6/20/2014Last minute reservation for a group of 8 on a Friday night, 8.30pm. It was a late by Kansas City standards and restaurant was only half full. The service was excellent and wait staff helped the vegetarians in the group for their selections and kitchen accommodating their restrictions. I had delicious, perfectly done sockeye salmon on a bed of purple potatoes and asparagus.Special Features: