The Class Act
7725 Kirkwood Blvd SW
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Class Act
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.classactdining.com/
- Phone: (319) 848-8777
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:00am - 11:00am, Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 2:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Melanie Ewalt
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Nick Wymore 3198488777
A word from The Class Act
The Class Act restaurant, located at The Kirkwood Center, features breakfast, lunch and dinner prepared by our students under the guidance of professional staff. An unmatched dining experience awaits, whether you choose to dine in a booth, in a private dining room, outside on our patio or in your hotel room. Our menu changes seasonally, ensuring the freshest quality ingredients and new and exciting choices for our guests. Along with our fully stocked lobby bar, Maikka, we are able to offer our guests a first rate experience that is a Class Act.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Class Act - Best Restaurants in Cedar Rapids ›
The Class Act reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (31)fit for foodies (25)romantic (16)good for groups (15)great for lunch (12)great for brunch (8)neighborhood gem (6)notable wine list (5)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Overall, the food was good. However, one of my guests ordered the skirt steak. It was tough and honestly didn't look like a skirt steak (it was kind of balled up).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Class Act really isOkfine33Dined on 11/15/2014We chose the Class Act because of its variety, atmosphere, quality and service. They never have disappointed. This group was a special reunion of four couples that have traveled together and need to have some special times. We presented a special wine to each couple of the group. The one drawback of the over 3 hour gathering was that the fire alarm went off shortly after we ordered appetizers. It took a while for the staff to decide what to do. We probably should have been evacuated and then after the issue was resolved been escorted back in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobT90Dined on 11/13/2014The food was very good and the service was excellent. I enjoy taking my team there to say thank you for their workSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special night outspecialDined on 11/8/2014We were happy to find a special restaurant for a birthday dinner. It definitely was a treat since it's quite expensive - entree's $25 -$35.00. The menu is creative and different from the normal restaurant in Cedar Rapids. We enjoyed all of our meals, although my pork chop was very salty. Service was efficient, almost too quick since they brought our second course before the first was picked up. But that wasn't a big deal. Wine list has a nice selection with an appropriate price range. Not outrageous. Desserts were excellant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but expensiveKTRespondsDined on 11/8/2014The food was wonderful and the the service was outstanding, but the prices are really over the top.Special Features:
- Amazing...againMattFisherDined on 11/7/2014This restaurant is so great; the food is tremendous, the staff is great & friendly, and it's truly awesome to see such a cool program like this.Special Features:
- Excellent diningFoodFanDined on 11/7/2014The new fall menu is not something you can get just anywhere, the fresh greens grown in their green house and locally grown meats were outstanding.Special Features:
- Birthday BreakfastAuntbeaDined on 11/5/2014As it was my sister's birthday, we planned to have a day of dining and pampering. We got a late start to our day, so knowing that we would be having a nice lunch in just three hours, we asked if we could split our breakfast meal. The server was only too happy to do this. Service and food were excellent, making it a great start to our day of "pampering." Even though we split our meal, we both left stuffed and wondered if we would be able to eat lunch later. I hope to return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencesaj0520Dined on 10/29/2014This was the perfect place to bring friends for their anniversary. The staff was informative, attentive and very friendly. We felt welcome from the moment we walked in. They went out of their way to make it a special and memorable evening.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Went here for the first time as a special occasion with my girlfriend. I had heard of the Class Act from attending Kirkwood itself. I must say that the food was very very good, a bit pricey, but none the less the service was good, and again the food was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingabwfamDined on 10/25/2014The service was over the top from the minute you walked in the door. Menu had many selections and price ranges with every item we ordered perfect!!! Excellent dining experience it's a great find!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itEdawgDined on 10/20/2014It was amazing people were nice guy was super cool food was awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great girls gatheringWlooTTTDined on 10/19/2014Four gals stopped by for Sunday plated brunch as we were passing through Cedar Rapids. The restaurant was remarkable and the menu selection so appetizing and intriguing we had tough decisions to make. Each of us truly enjoyed the food when it arrived and presentation was beautiful! We will be back. The only slight glitch was that we waited a while for our waitress to return for menu selection, as she was also waiting on a large party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LimajacDined on 10/11/2014Our family group of 7 had our own private room so we were unaware of the rest of the resturants noise level. The ambiance was upscale. The service was a bit slow (student servers were training) but they where very friendly and were patient with us to decide what we wanted to order as the menu is set up so that you can order many options of "small plates" to share if you like. I love the fact that it is a real restaurant that trains people in the food service industry. It is also a farm to table restaurant serving the produce the agriculture students grow and butcher. A great sustainable learning environment. The wine selection was good. The prices were reasonable, the portion size was generous. We will be back when we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placetarahspringDined on 10/9/2014Food and service were very nice, place is beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- backagainDined on 10/8/2014The crew were great. They were polite and caring. The young lady at the front desk even found another employee to take a picture for us. . All the food was garnished so well. Thank you. PS I really like the reservation system you have.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/2/2014This restaurant really knows service. They brought us a free dessert for a slight wait on our order. Great food with good vegetarian selections. Beautiful decor.Special Features:
- Enjoyable EveningSweetPea8Dined on 9/21/2014I met my friend from Colorado at the Class Act for dinner at 5:30 PM. We were shown to our table right away. This was the perfect place to meet for a delicious dinner in a quiet spot that was conducive to relaxation & conversation. The root salad was delicious with different vegetables served each with a different dressing and flavor that we shared. My "Harvest" lamb soup was outstanding. My lamb dinner, however, had a large chewy piece of meat with delicious sauce. The gristle was so bad I only was able to get 4 good bites to eat. The times I have eaten at The Class Act I can say everything about it was very good except the main meat has not been worth repeating. Next time I will order fish. But don't forget the flavorful desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!MountainGeoDined on 9/20/2014The name says it all. Attentive staff, good food and sophisticated ambience. Even the restrooms are classy! My special date was impressed. Great place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a good findNewInTownDined on 9/9/2014The atmosphere is pleasant. The food is delicious and the service is exceptional.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem in Cedar RapidsGoclonesDined on 9/6/2014Interesting menu with emphasis on local ingredients. Entrees tasted as good as the descriptions. Wait staff was accommodating to special requests. Our first-time guests were impressed and said they would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On Its Way UpRedBearDined on 9/5/2014Upscale and classy restaurant without being too stuffy or pretentious. Staff is professional and they take pride in their work-- you wouldn't know the staff are still culinary students... except for the undercooked chicken in the chicken marsala (which they took back and made right). The desserts were skillfully prepared, artistically presented, and utterly delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedTrynewplacesDined on 8/31/2014I walked in thinking service would be slow because of it being student based but it turned out to not be slow at all!! However I do recommend that if you are there with one other person do the table for two on the menu! It's cheaper than buying the sandwiches!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THUMBS WAAAAAY UPPamelaDined on 8/27/2014The Class Act is a hidden gem serving up a great atmosphere, delicious food choices and excellent customer service.Special Features:
- Timing is Everythingrab52764Dined on 8/23/2014The Class Act is a restaurant that is staffed by students (with professional guidance) in the culinary arts and hospitality programs at Kirkwood Community College. This is the first time we had been there at the beginning of the term. The food was still very good, but the wait staff was extremely new. Our waitress tried hard, but she kept messing up our order. My wife is not a "sauce" person, so she ordered her salad dressing and demi glace "on the side". The waitress forgot on both accounts. She also forgot to ask how my wife wanted her steak cooked, so it was a little over done for our taste. Next time we go, we'll wait til a little longer into the term when they've had more experience!Special Features:
- Dinner1972Dined on 8/18/2014Celebrated our Anniversary dinner here. Had a very nice experience. Food was very good. Service very friendly. Received a complimentary desert for our anniversary. Enjoyed it very much.Special Features:
- We love this place!RLA513VIPDined on 8/11/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here. Not only was the food tasty and well prepared, we were able to get a nice selection of delicious low calorie items to meet our dietary needs. We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was the worst foodupsetdiner99Dined on 8/8/2014The food tasted so terrible that no one in my my party ate there food. My wife got the steak and potatoes and took one bite of the steak. The steak tasted so bad that that she had to spit that bite into her napkin. The texture and marinade was disgusting. It was not the same restaurant. Our server was very good and polite so I still tipped him very well. I will never eat out there again. My wife wanted to complain but I just told her to keep quiet.
- Spectacular Evening5283Dined on 7/29/2014We ate outdoors on a perfect evening. The food was innovative, yummy, and beautifully presented. We love the Class Act for any meal of the day, and recommend to anyone and everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 548 reviews are from the The Class Act reviews archive.
- Classy class actKelly1234Dined on 7/23/2014Wonderful food , service and ambiance, and over a great experience. Thank you OPEN TABLE. Jean GoetzSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014My friend and I had a great time at The Class Act. The food was great, servers were attentive and polite, and the ambiance was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The service was incredible and the presentation of the food was fabulous including the ambiance. I found the food to be overpriced for what I received. I had the chicken special and it was dry, cold and flavorless. The turnip potato salad was decent but I would have liked a little more zing. The carrots, however, were delicious. I was very impressed with how professional, friendly and well groomed the staff was.
- Wonderful breakfast.WedmorninggrpDined on 7/2/2014First time visit. Went with four friends and everyone was happy with their meal. Already have in mind what I want to try next time. Food was good and nicely presented. Service was great and servers were attentive. Liked the variety on the menu and unusual combinations of items. We all loved the standup knives!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/22/2014The pastry chef made arrangements for a special cake to be served at our meal for a special occasion. I was impressed with her attention to detail. The food was good. The service was quite slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- could have been bettervisitorsDined on 6/17/2014food was ok. Salad cheese crisp was unchewable.4th of July bbq had small serving of meat and more than half of that meat serving was pieces of fat. Homemade crackers on cheese plate were stale. Had to ask for plates, silverware and serving spoons. Found it a bit challenging to share gnocci without a serving spoon and only dirty bread plates. Then bill was incorrect. Got that fixed, paid with cash, received wrong change. Server didn't reappear so after waiting we went to front desk to return the extra money given to me.
- Good but not stellarEmmEffDined on 6/6/2014Based on the reviews I read I expected pleasantries and perfection for dining. The wait staff was good at waiting but didn't have a full grasp of the menu. And my Mr, albeit delicious wasn't without its flaws Anywhere else I wouldn't probably have taken notice but with all of the glowing reviews I had read I expected Damn near perfection. So maybe it's the reviews faults.The wait staff was very timely but could tell me what type of mushrooms were in your dish (besides local) The good was 95% delicious. The potato in my "rabbit two ways" were like dry pebbles. The meat and risotto were fantastic however. As was desert. So really it was a gray dining experience, I just think that the over the top reviews put my expectations slightly too highSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014We enjoyed the experience very much. It was our anniversary and it was a good choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu constantly shiftingMichaelDined on 6/2/2014I made the mistake of trusting the menu on the opentable website and what I wanted wasn't being served anymore. I did find several nice replacement dishes and ended up choosing a succulent rabbit dish.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014The menu was disappointing for this price point. Steak options were minimal. Pasta special (gnocchi) was very bland. I ordered chicken with it and the chicken was overcooked. My husband ordered pork and parts of it were raw. The bar did not have a bottle of wine we ordered. So we had one that was twice the cost. Would not recommend or return to this restaurant. Table next to us had wrong orders and raw food also.
- Nice FindJudyDinerVIPDined on 5/24/2014we chose this because of Open Table. We didn't need a reservation, but it was because of the holiday weekend. We sat outside, which was very nice. The server could have been a little more attentive since we were the only table outside. The food was outstanding. I had a brunch burger and red potatoes. Both were excellent. My husband had a Reuben sandwich and also enjoyed it. Would go back if in the area.Special Features: