The Class Act
7725 Kirkwood Blvd SW
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Class Act
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.classactdining.com/
- Phone: 3198488777
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:00am - 11:00am, Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 2:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Melanie Ewalt
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Nick Wymore 3198488777
A word from The Class Act
The Class Act restaurant, located at The Kirkwood Center, features breakfast, lunch and dinner prepared by our students under the guidance of professional staff. An unmatched dining experience awaits, whether you choose to dine in a booth, in a private dining room, outside on our patio or in your hotel room. Our menu changes seasonally, ensuring the freshest quality ingredients and new and exciting choices for our guests. Along with our fully stocked lobby bar, Maikka, we are able to offer our guests a first rate experience that is a Class Act.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Class Act - Best Restaurants in Cedar Rapids ›
The Class Act reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (23)fit for foodies (19)great for lunch (14)good for groups (11)romantic (10)great for brunch (7)neighborhood gem (5)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- LimajacDined on 10/11/2014Our family group of 7 had our own private room so we were unaware of the rest of the resturants noise level. The ambiance was upscale. The service was a bit slow (student servers were training) but they where very friendly and were patient with us to decide what we wanted to order as the menu is set up so that you can order many options of "small plates" to share if you like. I love the fact that it is a real restaurant that trains people in the food service industry. It is also a farm to table restaurant serving the produce the agriculture students grow and butcher. A great sustainable learning environment. The wine selection was good. The prices were reasonable, the portion size was generous. We will be back when we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placetarahspringDined on 10/9/2014Food and service were very nice, place is beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- backagainDined on 10/8/2014The crew were great. They were polite and caring. The young lady at the front desk even found another employee to take a picture for us. . All the food was garnished so well. Thank you. PS I really like the reservation system you have.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/2/2014This restaurant really knows service. They brought us a free dessert for a slight wait on our order. Great food with good vegetarian selections. Beautiful decor.Special Features:
- Enjoyable EveningSweetPea8Dined on 9/21/2014I met my friend from Colorado at the Class Act for dinner at 5:30 PM. We were shown to our table right away. This was the perfect place to meet for a delicious dinner in a quiet spot that was conducive to relaxation & conversation. The root salad was delicious with different vegetables served each with a different dressing and flavor that we shared. My "Harvest" lamb soup was outstanding. My lamb dinner, however, had a large chewy piece of meat with delicious sauce. The gristle was so bad I only was able to get 4 good bites to eat. The times I have eaten at The Class Act I can say everything about it was very good except the main meat has not been worth repeating. Next time I will order fish. But don't forget the flavorful desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!MountainGeoDined on 9/20/2014The name says it all. Attentive staff, good food and sophisticated ambience. Even the restrooms are classy! My special date was impressed. Great place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a good findNewInTownDined on 9/9/2014The atmosphere is pleasant. The food is delicious and the service is exceptional.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem in Cedar RapidsGoclonesDined on 9/6/2014Interesting menu with emphasis on local ingredients. Entrees tasted as good as the descriptions. Wait staff was accommodating to special requests. Our first-time guests were impressed and said they would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On Its Way UpRedBearDined on 9/5/2014Upscale and classy restaurant without being too stuffy or pretentious. Staff is professional and they take pride in their work-- you wouldn't know the staff are still culinary students... except for the undercooked chicken in the chicken marsala (which they took back and made right). The desserts were skillfully prepared, artistically presented, and utterly delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedTrynewplacesDined on 8/31/2014I walked in thinking service would be slow because of it being student based but it turned out to not be slow at all!! However I do recommend that if you are there with one other person do the table for two on the menu! It's cheaper than buying the sandwiches!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THUMBS WAAAAAY UPPamelaDined on 8/27/2014The Class Act is a hidden gem serving up a great atmosphere, delicious food choices and excellent customer service.Special Features:
- Timing is Everythingrab52764Dined on 8/23/2014The Class Act is a restaurant that is staffed by students (with professional guidance) in the culinary arts and hospitality programs at Kirkwood Community College. This is the first time we had been there at the beginning of the term. The food was still very good, but the wait staff was extremely new. Our waitress tried hard, but she kept messing up our order. My wife is not a "sauce" person, so she ordered her salad dressing and demi glace "on the side". The waitress forgot on both accounts. She also forgot to ask how my wife wanted her steak cooked, so it was a little over done for our taste. Next time we go, we'll wait til a little longer into the term when they've had more experience!Special Features:
- Dinner1972Dined on 8/18/2014Celebrated our Anniversary dinner here. Had a very nice experience. Food was very good. Service very friendly. Received a complimentary desert for our anniversary. Enjoyed it very much.Special Features:
- We love this place!RLA513VIPDined on 8/11/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here. Not only was the food tasty and well prepared, we were able to get a nice selection of delicious low calorie items to meet our dietary needs. We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was the worst foodupsetdiner99Dined on 8/8/2014The food tasted so terrible that no one in my my party ate there food. My wife got the steak and potatoes and took one bite of the steak. The steak tasted so bad that that she had to spit that bite into her napkin. The texture and marinade was disgusting. It was not the same restaurant. Our server was very good and polite so I still tipped him very well. I will never eat out there again. My wife wanted to complain but I just told her to keep quiet.
- Spectacular Evening5283Dined on 7/29/2014We ate outdoors on a perfect evening. The food was innovative, yummy, and beautifully presented. We love the Class Act for any meal of the day, and recommend to anyone and everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy class actKelly1234Dined on 7/23/2014Wonderful food , service and ambiance, and over a great experience. Thank you OPEN TABLE. Jean GoetzSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014My friend and I had a great time at The Class Act. The food was great, servers were attentive and polite, and the ambiance was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The service was incredible and the presentation of the food was fabulous including the ambiance. I found the food to be overpriced for what I received. I had the chicken special and it was dry, cold and flavorless. The turnip potato salad was decent but I would have liked a little more zing. The carrots, however, were delicious. I was very impressed with how professional, friendly and well groomed the staff was.
- Wonderful breakfast.WedmorninggrpDined on 7/2/2014First time visit. Went with four friends and everyone was happy with their meal. Already have in mind what I want to try next time. Food was good and nicely presented. Service was great and servers were attentive. Liked the variety on the menu and unusual combinations of items. We all loved the standup knives!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 544 reviews are from the The Class Act reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/22/2014The pastry chef made arrangements for a special cake to be served at our meal for a special occasion. I was impressed with her attention to detail. The food was good. The service was quite slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- could have been bettervisitorsDined on 6/17/2014food was ok. Salad cheese crisp was unchewable.4th of July bbq had small serving of meat and more than half of that meat serving was pieces of fat. Homemade crackers on cheese plate were stale. Had to ask for plates, silverware and serving spoons. Found it a bit challenging to share gnocci without a serving spoon and only dirty bread plates. Then bill was incorrect. Got that fixed, paid with cash, received wrong change. Server didn't reappear so after waiting we went to front desk to return the extra money given to me.
- Good but not stellarEmmEffDined on 6/6/2014Based on the reviews I read I expected pleasantries and perfection for dining. The wait staff was good at waiting but didn't have a full grasp of the menu. And my Mr, albeit delicious wasn't without its flaws Anywhere else I wouldn't probably have taken notice but with all of the glowing reviews I had read I expected Damn near perfection. So maybe it's the reviews faults.The wait staff was very timely but could tell me what type of mushrooms were in your dish (besides local) The good was 95% delicious. The potato in my "rabbit two ways" were like dry pebbles. The meat and risotto were fantastic however. As was desert. So really it was a gray dining experience, I just think that the over the top reviews put my expectations slightly too highSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014We enjoyed the experience very much. It was our anniversary and it was a good choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu constantly shiftingMichaelDined on 6/2/2014I made the mistake of trusting the menu on the opentable website and what I wanted wasn't being served anymore. I did find several nice replacement dishes and ended up choosing a succulent rabbit dish.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014The menu was disappointing for this price point. Steak options were minimal. Pasta special (gnocchi) was very bland. I ordered chicken with it and the chicken was overcooked. My husband ordered pork and parts of it were raw. The bar did not have a bottle of wine we ordered. So we had one that was twice the cost. Would not recommend or return to this restaurant. Table next to us had wrong orders and raw food also.
- Nice FindJudyDinerVIPDined on 5/24/2014we chose this because of Open Table. We didn't need a reservation, but it was because of the holiday weekend. We sat outside, which was very nice. The server could have been a little more attentive since we were the only table outside. The food was outstanding. I had a brunch burger and red potatoes. Both were excellent. My husband had a Reuben sandwich and also enjoyed it. Would go back if in the area.Special Features:
- Totally surprised!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/16/2014I recently stayed at the Kirkwood hotel because all else was booked in Iowa City for graduation. We ate multiple times at the Class Act and were blown away by the food, service, and ambiance! Our entire group agreed this is the place to stay and eat whenever we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice round table for conversationIowagirlDined on 5/16/2014Family visiting from New Jersey. Wonderful round table in a somewhat private corner. Service tends to be well-intentioned and earnest, but can be a little inconsistent (second round of wine did not arrive until part way through the main course). Food choices very interesting! Appetizers excellent -- and superb soups and salad before entrees. Rabbit, tuna, and lamb entree choices were excellent. Pork was unfortunately tough for two who ordered -- fine for one other. Great flavors. We'll be back. It's always an a venture in eating here.Special Features:
- GreatplaceDined on 5/11/2014We are regular customers of the Class Act. This was a Mother's Day celebration. Food was great, but the service was a little off. We assumed it was the end of a long day for the waiters. There were no students waiting tables that we saw that evening and it seemed to change the climate of the place.Special Features:
- It was just OKwilltryitonceDined on 5/10/2014We chose our items from the breakfast side of the plated brunch menu. Most of the food was just OK - the one dish I would classify as good was Florentine Eggs Benedict (we had also ordered regular Eggs Benedict, Brioche French Toast with Butterscotch Bananas, and Caramel Apple French Toast). Also ordered a side of the Green Apple Sweet Potato Hashbrowns. It was dark brown on the outside and the inside had a mushy mealy quality to it. Not good. They did a good job keeping our water filled and were just a tad behind at keeping our coffee filled (cups were small, so it didn't take to long to empty it). Our server was very quiet. I might try things from their other menus, but based on this outing (1st time), not in a big hurry to return.Special Features:
- classiest restaurant in CRtjgtDined on 5/3/2014upscale dining, great, regional cuisine- good portions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingGabbberzzDined on 4/26/2014I had a big group for prom bunch of people. We were out of sorts and they kept us together really nice and professional i enjoyed in so much I will tell everyone to go at least once.Special Features:
- Love this restaurant!Gem1Dined on 4/19/2014We eat here a couple of times a year and are always well pleased with the atmosphere, service and food! This is truly one of the BEST eating choices in Iowa! It is a hidden gem for sure! Our meals were absolutely fabulous! I had the lamb and my wife had the stuffed pork chops. We continued to rave all night about how good our meals were! The Chef's make the entrees unique and different but always great to the taste buds! Would not recommend taking "children" to the restaurant; it is more of a special date night kind of experience! We will continue to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2014We had brunch there last Sunday before my father's honor flight orientation. We are all from out of town and I was looking for a nice place to eat so I searched for restaurants close to the hotel which there really wasn't any. I was glad to find the Class Act at the hotel. I made reservations online, when we got there a few addtional people had joined our party which they were able to accommodate and we ended up in a great private room. The menu was full of options, so it was sort of hard to choose. All of our food came out in a timely manner and was more than many of us could eat. Everyone had a great time. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 stars!MrsAhrensVIPDined on 4/5/2014Best meal I've ever had in Cedar Rapids! Noteworthy selections: ice tea, sweet potato hash-browns, pecan pastry, & class act club!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableNickDined on 3/31/2014Food was excellent.Had prime rib .Very large portion.Had comment that the chicken breast was moist and the sauce was the best she has had.This comment was from a world traveler.Good job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GemFoodieDined on 3/27/2014This restaurant is a Cedar Rapids gem. Great location, ambience, unique entrees, and professional staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food & Perfect PresentationFoodSnobsDined on 3/26/2014We had the best tuna we've ever had in the Midwest, and better than a few places on the coast. Flavor and texture were spot on. There was nothing on our plate that didn't contribute directly to the dish. It was all delicious! The Mediterranean Nachos are a must try appetizer. I wish we could have stayed for dessert. I can't forget to mention that our service was remarkable in every way. Knowledgeable, attentive without being annoying, and prompt. Great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Placehotrod56Dined on 3/24/2014It was Janet's birthday and we wanted to go somewhere nice and special, so we chose the Class Act. Our server was awesome, and very good. Refilled our drinks timely, and was just down right very pleasant. Love the location close to our office and so much FREE parking is a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.