The City Tavern
22 East 13th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $30 and under
The City Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecitytavernnyc.com/
- Phone: 2128071313
- Hours of Operation:
Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, International
- Executive Chef: Edwin Avila
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full scale catering is available.
- Private Party Facilities: The City Tavern can accommodate semi- private parties from 15 to 30 guests, or 15 to 60 guests up to a total of 100 seated guests.
- Private Party Contact: Ernesto Avila 2128071313
- Entertainment: WE ARE SHOWING ALL THE SPORTS ACTIVITY ON BIG SCREEN TV. !!! JOIN US TO WATCH THE WORLD CUP SOCCER GAMES AFRICA 2010 !!!
- Special Events: Available for private parties up to 80 people.
A word from The City Tavern
Just one block south of Union Square you will find The City Tavern, a charming Village Restaurant that offers international cusine, and graciously served by owner Ernesto Avila and his staff. They have a remodeled full bar and lounge area with a great selection of tap beer very well balanced wine list. The second floor has a very loft feeling, brick wall and modern art work. The City Tavern offer generous service and savory dishes make for a satisfying evening in the city. The City Tavern is available for private party, sure to make your event a memorable one.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The City Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
- I made a reservation for 10OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/8/2012I made a reservation for 10 people at 12pm, we got there at 11.45 and the place was locked up. I called a little later and no answer. Needless to say I never went there and I wont attempt to again.
- I chose this as a meetingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2012I chose this as a meeting spot for my friends' reunion/bachelor party meetup, mostly due to proximity to Union Square (easy to find). It ended up being a great find. Clean bar, with tables upstairs, and the owner and staff took great care of us. By the end of the night, some were remarking that this was now their new favorite NYC bar! I recommend it for groups, or just for any night out.Special Features:
- The service was good but theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2012The service was good but the food didn't agree with my stomach. My boyfriend didn't feel well after eating there either. The place was empty on a Saturday night.
- Fair prices. But average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2012Fair prices. But average food and no air conditioning.
- This is a good find. PortionsLagourmandeVIPDined on 7/24/2012This is a good find. Portions are large so sharing is a good idea. Nice salads and pastas. Our server was overwhelmed during our visit there. This is a good find and a nice spot for large groups, kids and picky eaters.Special Features:
- Needs air conditioner tuned.leniVIPDined on 7/23/2012Needs air conditioner tuned. Too warm. The upstairs doom was very quiet because we were the only ones there. Maybe because the food is not too great. I was also bummed by the B rating from the board of health. If I did not have a reservation I would not have eaten there.
- We weren't sure if this wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/18/2012We weren't sure if this was going to be a good restaurant. I originally picked it because it was a block away from the movie theater. The entrees were okay. It's probably better to order the sandwiches and bar drinks. I did like the lemon pie. It was nice to have live music.Special Features:
- Great salads, burger and exceptionaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2012Great salads, burger and exceptional fries! Loved the sangria!
- The food was solid and allOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/28/2012The food was solid and all 7 members of our party seemed to enjoy their selections. We were going to a concert nearby at Webster Hall and the restaurant was a convenient 2 blocks away. The owner and staff were very friendly and updated us on the status of the Knicks and Rangers playoff games throughout our stay. All in all it was a very positive experience.Special Features:
- Jalapeno Margaritas were quiteOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/13/2012Jalapeno Margaritas were quite yummy... and not at all too spicy. Food was great. Medium-rare was actually medium-rare.Special Features:
- The service and the food wereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/2/2012The service and the food were very good. The ambiance is still that of a pub even in the upstairs dining area. This is a good place for groups but not for couples looking for a quieter place to have a conversation during their meal.Special Features:
- The food was good. The pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2012The food was good. The prices are even better. The restaurant was pretty loud which resulted in the waitress misunderstanding my order. However, they quickly apologized and brought me what I wanted. I would go back again.Special Features:
- I enjoyed the good food.BrianMVIPDined on 2/14/2012I enjoyed the good food. Started with the mozzarella salad, and had the chicken with cheese and ham for lunch. Restaurant needs some remodeling and redecorating. Good service.
- We enjoyed good attentiveBindyVIPDined on 2/11/2012We enjoyed good attentive service, good food and drinks beforehand at the bar. The restaurant is upstairs from the bar area and is quite a large space. The menu is fairly standard bar food fare but it all arrived well prepared and hot! We certainly enjoyed our meal and would return.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed the food andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/21/2012Really enjoyed the food and atmosphere! Great prices for food in NYC!Special Features:
- Went on a Saturday afternoonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/14/2012Went on a Saturday afternoon - restaurant was empty but we were given incredible attention and service. Food was overall good although my salad was smaller than expected for the price. Music was a bit loud for talking.Special Features:
- Went for a semi-business brunch,BronxiteVIPDined on 1/14/2012Went for a semi-business brunch, everything was fine. Didn't try anything challenging, but what we had was prepared well. Service was warm and attentive.Special Features:
- My fiance and I went to brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/8/2012My fiance and I went to brunch on a Sunday to City Tavern and found the service and food were great! When we got there we were taken right to our table and when we asked if we could watch the football game, they turned on the projector for us to watch. They were getting ready for a big party, so they made sure that we got our food before they were all sat. They were very good with the large party, and I would consider it a place to hold a big event next time. Great place for brunch. Good prices on food and drinks.Special Features:
- The service was excellent.generalVIPDined on 12/18/2011The service was excellent. There weren't too many people in the restaurant so it was very quiet and enjoyable. The food was very good and served hot. I had the salmon which was made to order the way I like it and served with string beans another good choice. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Love this place soo much...alwaysrossamaVIPDined on 12/14/2011Love this place soo much...always such a great meal!Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood spot. EveryoneOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/9/2011Nice neighborhood spot. Everyone at the table very happy with their food. Service gpod. It is a small space so it gets very noisy. Not a place for quiet conversation.
- A Find Near Union SquareOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/27/2011We were looking for a spot for an early Sunday dinner near Union Square and tried City Tavern based on Open Table's listing. We were very pleased. Everyone found something delicious on the menu (shrimp & avocado salads, caesar salad, soup special, great red snapper and pork tenderloin specials, excellent carbonara and rissoto. Yes, we enjoyed the food and would definitely recommend for a casual dinner!Special Features:
- Decent food, but a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/5/2011Decent food, but a little pricey for what it was. Very loud, but that may have been the parties we were seated next to. Good service and nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- THIS PLACE NEEDS A REDO,ITMsmimi1Dined on 11/5/2011THIS PLACE NEEDS A REDO,IT IS VERY TIRED AND WORN LOOKING . THERE WAS VERY LITTLE SERVICE SINCE HE WAS VERY BUSY GETTING FOR A BIG PARTY,WE HAD TO BRING DOWN THE CHECK SINCE NO ONE CAME UP . THE FOOD WAS OK I HAD AN EGG DISH AND MY FRIEND DID ALSO BUT WE WERE ONE OF TWO TABLES AND IT WAS KIND OF LONELY,AND HAD NO SPIRIT.
- This is a bar on the firstCTLeftyVIPDined on 10/28/2011This is a bar on the first floor and a dining room with a bar upstairs. It is great for groups, but not for small parties when there is a group around. The salads are large but there isn't enough dressing for it. The duck meat was tasty, but the skin was not crisp and there was a huge layer of fat under it. The fish was tasty but a little dry.Special Features:
- fish was very fresh, vegetablesShauVIPDined on 10/9/2011fish was very fresh, vegetables were also very fresh, waitress was very sweet, does not look like much from outside but the food was very well prepared. I had the special striped bass and it was juicy and succulent, also serve white sangria which is hard to find.Special Features:
- Food was very good. AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2011Food was very good. Ambience was perfect for the business luncheon I was hosting.Special Features:
- This place was nice overall.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2011This place was nice overall. The manager was very friendly, and the wait staff for the most part seemed nice. Our waitress, who had a slight accent, was very nice and willing to help out any way she could. Ex: She went to ask the kitchen staff if they had a certain dish, helped my friend get a high chair for her baby, etc. However, my friends and I kind of got a stuck-up vibe from the other waitress. The food was great, no one had any complaints about it. Overall the experience was a positive one, and I would return again to check out the bar scene downstairs! :)Special Features:
- Very good service!BrdwyBearDined on 7/8/2011Very basic bar/tavern look with above average specials and very attentive service.
- I WILL NOT GO BACK!!! In generalanybodyVIPDined on 6/25/2011I WILL NOT GO BACK!!! In general this is one place like many others in the city and specially in that area: Nothing was either very good or very bad. What really made me mad was that we were charged 18% service (i.e., tip) without any explanation. When I asked, I was amazed to hear the manager/owner saying "including the tip is customary and it is done in 90% of the restaurants in New York City". In my experience including tips is only done in some of the most touristy places in NY unless you have more than 6 in your party. So bottom line, I will not recommend this place to anyone since there are many other places like it that treat you better.
- I brought a group of aboutDisappointedVIPDined on 6/16/2011I brought a group of about 14 people here, many of which were from out of town. We had a great experience. The food was fantastic, the service by Roberto was great and I would definitely recommend people to go.Special Features:
- MOTHERS DAY MESSEatwithMeDined on 5/8/2011I went to this restaurant on mother's day as I was looking for an affordable brunch around the city. I saw french toast and pancakes on the menu so thought it was safe. Coffee arrived COLD. They didnt have anymore french toast/panckaes to serve which was odd considering they served eggs and bread, the key ingredients. Also ordered the Mac and Cheese but clearly told the waitress that we would not be able to eat it with HAM. They served the dish with ham. After about two minutes I decided it was not even worth remaking the dish since it didn't seem that good anyway. I told the waitress to cancel my order and she said IT WAS TOO LATE. Nice location..cute spot..but they could replace with a much better restaurant in terms of food.
- Just OK, but close to Classic StageOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/14/2011It was crowded at the bar and the staff was friendly, but it just didn't have great food or great service. They seemed to be understaffed. I had the hamburger and it was overdone (even though I asked for medium rare.) It was fine, but not great.Special Features:
- My girlfriend and I went toWooser1976Dined on 3/27/2011My girlfriend and I went to City Tavern to meet up with some friends for Sunday brunch. The place was pretty empty on this Sunday afternoon (around 13:30), so we pretty much had the restaurant to ourselves. It was really cute inside and setup with a bar downstairs and dining area upstairs. The wait staff were really friendly and attentive. Food was overall pretty good for brunch (French toast was great).Special Features:
- Good local flavor and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/24/2011Good local flavor and great food. A little too noisy for my liking though. Hard to have a conversation with your dinner partner.Special Features:
- They have a nice little barOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/18/2011They have a nice little bar down stairs that is nice to sit at before dinner. Dinner was good and the service was outstanding. We had the Caprese appetizer was delicious with really fresh tomatoes and mozzarella. I had the skirt steak that was really delicious with the broccoli and fries. My date had the chicken with red wine sauce and there was a little too much sauce and it was a little dark for her liking.Special Features:
- Bizarro landOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/17/2011The restaurant upstairs made us feel like we were in bizarro land... The website led us believe that we were going to have a nice dinner (ie - pasta, glass of wine, etc). Instead we were at a pub, alive with March Madness energy and opera music playing in the background. The food was eh. Reasonably priced but nothing special.
- Strange crowd. Packed. WeirdOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/15/2011Strange crowd. Packed. Weird decor. Totally confusing.
- We had a reservation for 8OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/10/2011We had a reservation for 8 then 7 people. They sat us at one medium round table between a wall/fireplace and another big table. It was noisy and very cramped. Overall the food and service was good and we had a nice time. I wish it wasn't so tight and cramped space wise. They had a networking event on the other side of the room for about 60 people and that provided a lot of background noise.Special Features:
- I very much enjoyed the littleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/6/2011I very much enjoyed the little place known as City Tavern. It had a very wide selection of food, for both meat lovers and others to fit any taste bud. My only problem was the later check that we received in the end. First I had asked for a split checks ahead of time, which weren't accomplished. We also were charged for Sparkling Water bottles, which ended up being an additional $32 dollars with a group of 17 at the table. I just wish they had told me ahead of time that this would be a charge, as I found this to be very surprising and otherwise wouldn't have asked for such a "special drink". Otherwise, I would go to City Tavern again - but just with a much smaller group.Special Features: