The City Square Steakhouse
148 South Market Street
Wooster, OH 44691Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
The City Square Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.citysquaresteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 330-262-2489
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 4:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Michael Mariola
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Party Description: Our private dining room can accommodate up to 35 guests seated for dinner or up to 45 guests standing for cocktails and hors d' oeuvres. Featuring a beautiful fireplace, private patio access, as well as a hidden flat-screen TV, the private dining room is a perfect space for an elegant social gathering, professional business presentation or to watch the big game. Please call for additional information.
- Private Party Contact: Mark Amodeo 330-262-2489
- Entertainment: Join us for complimentary live music every Wednesday night. The performances can be enjoyed under the stars on our spacious patio during the summer months, or in front of the fireplace in one of our warm, cozy dining rooms throughout the rest of the year.
- Special Events: Early & Late Happy Hour Daily. 4:30-6pm & 9-10pm. Specials include $4 bar appetizers, $3 bottled beer, $4 draft beer, $5 wines by the glass, $6 select martinis!!
- Cross Street: Liberty
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Parking Description: After 6pm, guests may park in the lot behind (East of) The City Square Steakhouse. Wheelchair access and entry for those parking behind the building is available through the patio entrance (located on the south side of the building). There is also plenty of free street parking on Market, South, and Liberty Streets.
A word from The City Square Steakhouse
Located in the heart of beautiful, historic downtown Wooster, The City Square Steakhouse is a fine-casual restaurant recognized for its excellence in food, service and atmosphere. Preparing hand-cut steaks and fresh seafood, as well as homemade pastas, sides and desserts, The City Square Steakhouse is committed to remaining the highest quality steakhouse in the region. Guests are sure to savor a truly exceptional experience, whether you choose to dine in one of the meticulously restored dining rooms, intimate outdoor patio or sophisticated bar area. We'd love to take fabulous care of you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The City Square Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Wooster ›
The City Square Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (59)neighborhood gem (49)great for outdoor dining (35)fit for foodies (33)romantic (32)good for groups (27)notable wine list (16)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (7)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- MickDined on 10/14/2014Service was very lacking. My steak was bland and not medium well as ordered. Waitress was nowhere to be found. 5 minutes later I was finally able to flag her down. She had them put the same steak back on the grill. When she brought the same steak back it was cooked to order but I thought they should have offered me a whole new steak. Nothing was offered for my inconvenience. Unfortunatley our experience here did not meet our expectations.Special Features:
- Great place for nice mealKooKDined on 10/10/2014This was our first time at City Square and we really enjoyed it. Food and service were really good. One of our steaks was not properly cooked (Medium Well instead of Medium) and they offered to take it off our bill or remake it so that was very generous and appreciative. Perhaps a little on the pricey side but for a special occasion or date night out its a great place to try!Special Features:
- Catching upgaterDined on 10/10/2014Dinner and service were perfect! The atmosphere was wonderful for visiting with a dear friend that I hadn't seen for a very long time...we never felt rushed, which was much appreciated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!LMT87Dined on 10/7/2014So far, we have been here twice. Love, love, love the food. We have gotten steak both times and it has been absolutely delicious. It's a little pricey, but well worth it if you are a steak person.Special Features:
- Possibly a bit over-ratedHolmesCtyResDined on 10/4/2014Spouse and I went for anniversary - Both got steak and both ordered medium well. It seems this area of Ohio when you say medium well it comes out a nice hot pink on the inside but not here. Medium Well was more like "Well Done" My Oscar was still very tender and delicious but the wife's center cut Filet was over done and lacking flavor. It was extremely busy the night we went, and atmosphere was good enough along with the rest of our dinner we will give them another chance. Most likely next time we will order medium and see if the steaks come out "Mooing" or are just right. I hope our second experience will be much better, because they will not get a third chance. On this trip, I would have to rate a North-end chain restaurant higher.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBobJDined on 10/3/2014Dine there many times, never had a bad experience. Excellent and attentive staff. Greeted every time by first name... staff remembers my name which I believe I important. Never had a bad meal or experience. I have recommended this restaurant to many people. Thank you,Special Features:
- the best Wooster has to offerIluvwineVIPDined on 10/3/2014This is the best Wooster has. Great food, friendly staff. Great drinks. Food always cooked perfect. Our waiter was Scott he did an excellent job. Jackie, Jamie and Melissa are great bartenders make the best drinks. The manger Mark is asked ready to help and take care of issues. My wife and I will confine to frequent this place. I wish it was open Sunday!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night Go-toOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014This is always the first place I check to reserve a date night table. We are both vegetarian, and it would be nice if they had more food options, but the options they have are really good-the mushroom ravioli and veggie burgers- so we come back often. Considering it IS a steakhouse, they accommodate vegetarians well! We love the food and atmosphere, there will be many dates here to come and we recommend to everyone with a special occasion coming up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two suggestionsmaxreggiespencerDined on 9/25/20141-add more dessert selections. 2-add a few mote chicken or vegetarian selectionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wooster treasureBucks1723Dined on 9/20/2014Took my wife there for her birthday and she was very pleased.......the food, service, and atmosphere was outstanding. This place is a Wooster treasure....would highly reccommend to all my friends, family, and co-workersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Best steak and wine we have ever enjoyed! We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- COOKIECOOKIE4595Dined on 9/13/2014What a dining experience! thought this food would be on top ..WRONG !!! all 4 dinners were terrible.. first presentation when delivered I looked at it like OMG Salmon dry ,Baked potatoe looked like it was days old taste the same,,Strip Steak very small large side of grizzle no flavor..Filet Oscar fat and large grizzle like down the center, Caesar Dressing on salad was sour didn't taste like Caesar , Ranch dressing tasted watered down, Porkchop dinner was ok that's all can be said about that water glasses never filled. In my travels I have eaten in many FIVE STAR RESTAURANTS BELIEVE ME THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM.. WILL NOT BE BACK !!!!
- favoriteDined on 9/5/2014Nearly always a great experience - Ari is one of the best servers! They are all good and well trained.Special Features:
- Always great!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014One of our favorite places for dinner... Such a treat that it is local, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FreshDined on 8/25/2014Great dining experience. Will go back when we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner EngagementsEinsteinOfBovineDined on 8/18/2014This is a real gem in the Wooster downtown area. Food is always excellent and service is wonderful. I travel a lot across the United States and the steaks here can compete with any large restaurant. I do appricate the opportunity to give feed back on this review, plus the short nature of this form.Special Features:
- Excellent Foodib12Dined on 8/16/2014I have eaten here a few times and so far the food has always been excellent. The service is great and the staff are very friendly. Would highly recommend to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!GoCarbGirlDined on 8/15/2014From start to finish, we enjoyed the entire experience!Special Features:
- Always outstanding1953speaksDined on 8/12/2014Been there many times, intend to return many more. Always outstanding sums it up.Special Features:
- Wooster, OH's BestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2014We live 30 miles away but meet friends and eat here several times per year. This meal was the best ever. Everyone's food was prepared perfectly.Special Features:
- group of four friends4happygourmetsDined on 8/9/2014First visit was a great success. Four of us each ordered different steaks on the menu. Each steak was grilled to perfection. Side dishes were excellent and varied. Service was attentive, but only as needed so that we were able to have quiet conversation. We are sure we will return as soon as we can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingBK2014Dined on 8/2/2014We have now been here 2 times. First time was less than a month ago for our ten year anniversary. This time was just for dinner. Both times the food has been amazing and the service is impeccable! It is pricey but worth every penny. Would recommend to everyone especially for a special date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was incredibleNY4dinnerDined on 8/1/2014This was possibly the best meal I have ever had in a restaurant, steak was out if this world flavor and tenderness, apple bourbon pork chops are to die for!! Fantastic meal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diner's delightazjmDined on 7/31/2014Have been going here for years. Always at the top regarding atmosphere, service, and menu. A city type high class restaurant in a small town arenaSpecial Features:
- Great Steak - Exceeded ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014I am consider myself a steak "expert". I was not disappointed. Not much more needs to be said. It's a great restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014We always enjoy a special dinner out at The CSSH. I usually have no complaints -- only praise for the whole experience - service, ambience, and food. The other night it was so noisy we had to shout just to converse, and repeat almost everything we said. THe food was still excellent and service was very good until the end of the evening: a waiter came to take plates too soon and one of us was obviously still eating. He soon came back and asked if she was still eating, and she said yes. He soon came back AGAIN so she stuffed a bite in and gave up on the rest of her meal, to stop feeling pestered and guilty. That's ridiculous! If a person SAYS she is still eating, then WAIT UNTIL SHE HAS FINISHED before you hawk around for plates!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gather with FriendsjustmeDined on 7/26/2014A great place to go for a group or for a special nite. Always a new, creative choice. My husband, tho, just wants one of their steaks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wooster GemcheffromageDined on 7/26/2014We have visited a number of times. The food is reasonably priced for a steakhouse of this caliber -- certainly less than you would pay in Cleveland or Columbus -- and is tasty, well-prepared, and presented nicely albeit without drama. Service is always efficient, courteous, and pleasant. The kitchen seems to work well, as appetizers, salads, and entrees appear at the table at a decent pace. Try the seasonal vegetables, they are always a delicious alternative to the potatoes. Wine list is not extensive or ambitious but does offer options from many different wine regions around the world. The entire experience makes for very enjoyable dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best waiter everSatisDinerDined on 7/25/2014We've never had a such a personable, capable waiter. Fits well in the friendly atmosphere of City Square. Delicious hamburger to outstanding steaks. Good beer on tap We all got what we wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Best steak in town- high quality service and delicious menu with the best service. A true gem in Wooster!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over the top...sohbeeDined on 7/19/2014This charming restaurant in the middle of sleepy Wooster was a great surprise. The food was wonderful, creative and plentiful, even house wines were delicious, and the service was just OVER THE TOP. Even on a crowded Sat night, the manager took time to give us a little history on the restaurant, and show us the various rooms and patios. Our waiter was personable, funny, and more than attentive to every need....Special Features:
- WaitressOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014She was very professional , and friendly , her baby will be so happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, wonderful ambienceairfoxDined on 7/15/2014The four of us sat outside and had a wonderful meal. It was a little chilly, and they lit the fireplace adding even more to the ambience. The food was fantastic, as always. The wine list never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok - but not striving to be greatwoosterfoodieVIPDined on 7/12/2014This restaurant has become very successful in the community, but sadly it seems to have begun taking that success for granted and for those visiting Wooster for work or pleasure, there are far better dining options in town. The menu is as expected, but there is nothing creative in the food. Recently cooking quality has slipped and plates that used to be stunning (like the crab-cakes) are only so so, steaks are not consistently cooked to temp, and are not flavorful. Burgers remain the best thing on the menu. For fine dining visit the bistro across the street. It has the reputation in the community of being pricey, but if you really look at the menu it is similar and the cuisine is far better. Sadly they are not on open table yet.Special Features:
- Another fun evening at CSSHOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014A fun evening with out of town friends. The food was exceptional. We all had the special, almond crusted walleye & the pork chop. Walleye was delicious and the pork chop, as always, was moist, flavorful & perfect. Great drinks & wine. The service was outstanding. Friendly, fun, & timely. The restaurant was hopping. Busy & everyone was enjoying themselves. Overall the right choice for an evening of catching up with old friends.Special Features:
- Solid performerFoodandplaysDined on 7/11/2014When in Wooster for the OLO, this is our number one choice for a pleasant dinner between shows. The street parking is ample, making a 5:30 dinner work well between the afternoon and evening performances. In cooler weather, the walk to and from the theater is doable, though there is a hill to climb on the way back. The food has always been excellent and plentiful. Appetizers and main dishes that we've tried have always been very tasty and well presented. The staff has always been great. While somewhat noisy, we can hear each other very well, without intrusion into other conversations. We have fun trying out different beers.Special Features:
- Great food & Friendly servicePhotomac1Dined on 7/9/2014Great steaks as well as other menu items. We had the Walleye special and it was wonderful!!Special Features:
- LizaJaneDined on 7/5/2014Food was excellent and the service amazing! Out door dining romantic! A bit pricey, but worth it for an occasional visitSpecial Features:
- Excellent food & service.Tom2Dined on 6/28/2014Food is always delicious and served hot, nothing worse than a cold steak like you get at some chain restaurants. Waitress was on top of things, as always, and there was a good vibrant crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvgreatfoodDined on 6/28/2014The food was terrific! Ambience was good. We will be back!Special Features: