8384 W. Third St.
Los Angeles, CA 90048Neighborhood:
Beverly / Fairfax / La Brea / Third St.
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.the-churchill.com/
- Phone: 3236558384
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Spencer Johnston
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: DJ Thursday through Sunday nights after 10pm
A word from The Churchill
Located in the heart of Los Angeles' West Third Street, The Churchill serves seasonal American cuisine including house made cured meats, pastas, pickled vegetables, breads and desserts as well as an extensive list of handmade signature cocktails, 20 regional craft beers on tap and a California-centric wine menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Churchill reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (16)neighborhood gem (12)good for groups (10)great for brunch (10)fit for foodies (8)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)great for lunch (5)special occasion (4)notable wine list (2)romantic (1)Show More
- InconsistentCrashtopherVIPDined on 10/4/2014I've dined here several times and it's always hit or miss. In general the dishes are well-prepared, creative, flavorful and exceeds expectations for gastro pub fair in Los Angeles; however, there have been one too many times (once is usually enough) when the preparation/execution falls flat. There are far to many better places (albeit more expensive) in the neighborhood and I would suggest trying one of them.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/28/2014Went to this restaurant several times while a friend was staying in the Orlando (Hotel). Much more than just pub food. We sampled many items on the menu - almost all were outstanding. Highlights: salmon tartar, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, pork bellies, bread pudding. Can't go wrong here, and service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!carlitaswayDined on 9/24/2014Came here for oyster night and was pleasantly surprised. Delucious! I love the atmosphere too. It's now one of my favorite places!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Absolute WorstBenjaminVIPDined on 9/2/2014Read the Yelp reviews from real diners and you'll realize this place is such a terrible destination.Special Features:
- Great placeJillianDined on 8/22/2014Great food and service. A bit noisy. But it's lively and if that's what you're looking for, it's a fun place. Really terrific menu and bar choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated Like LepersmarkVIPDined on 8/22/2014We arrived on time and were ignored for ten minutes - no eye contact, nothing. Finally, someone other than the hostess asked if we had a reservation. She walked away. The place was busy, but there were empty two tops scattered among the almost uniformly 23-year old crowd. The hostess finally checked with us then conferred quietly with the other woman. Eventually, the other lead us past several empty two tops... up stairs! To a desolate room with ZERO other diners. It was clear that because we aren't 23 we were worthless. It was insulting. It was obnoxious. And it has ensured that I will never again try to spend my hard earned money at The Churchill.
- Great Happy Hour!dollar1Dined on 8/21/2014Great Happy Hour especially on Wednesdays - $1.00 oysters from 6:00 to 7:00!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 72 reviews are from the The Churchill reviews archive.
- Thoroughly pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/16/2013We were at a networking event down the street at the Sofitel and asked some of the staff where to go. There was a unanimous recommendation for The Churchill if we were looking for good food and great drinks. We were not disappointed. I tried their interesting take on a Manhattan and was pleased. The charred broccolini was really good, the burger was excellent as well. We had great service from the moment we walked in the door from the hostess and our waitress Melissa was incredible. All in all a fantastic experience. We look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Customer RecoveryJaysonVIPDined on 6/30/2013An hour after ordering brunch, the food had still not arrived. One reason or another, the ticket never made it to the kitchen. After inquiring and speaking with the manager, the situation was rectified and we felt taken care of. Usually this would be a mail in the coffin for a review, but the attentiveness and way the problem was dealt with assured me this was a one off, and paired with the delightful food I am sure to be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Poor service (orOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/8/2013Good food. Poor service (or at least the waiter we had!) Waiter didn't know the wine list, was slow, forgot utensils when food brought. Thought Pinot Grigio was a RED wine (sine the Malbec we wanted that was on menu wasn't available). Overall, not a terrible experience but the service wasn't greatSpecial Features:
- Great food but overall theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/18/2013Great food but overall the place was just too loud to enjoy. This is a solvable problem- add some sound absorbers!!Special Features:
- Good for basic touristsFoodieGiantVIPDined on 5/2/2013The Churchill is really rough around the edges. The basic concept for many of its dishes are good, but they come off as experiments from a recently culinary grad. The ingredients are fresh, but the execution is lacking. The kale salad seemed like it had started as a great idea but then fizzled. Flavors were not melded and it was just a bunch of cut up kale. The chefs should really explore what other chefs in the area are doing with the same ingredients. Take longer to study and develop flavor profiles. If I ever go back, hopefully the food will be executed better and taste better.Special Features:
- Saw the Chef on the TV showOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/7/2013Saw the Chef on the TV show "Chopped" and decided to try the restaurant. He spent the entire evening talking about his experience with a group of diner at the table next to us. Perhaps if he had actually spent time in the kitchen the overpriced and tiny portions would have been better. Just because he can win a timed competition using strange ingrediants does not make him a great chef.
- Service was mediocre. ThealegatagDined on 4/5/2013Service was mediocre. The waitress flew by our table (spilled quite a bit of my friend's beer as she slammed it in front of him) and never checked on us once to see if we needed anything. The pork meatballs I ordered never came but were on the check. Also, we were told valet was free if you were dining there but the valet guy tried to charge my friend on the way out. Will not be going back.Special Features:
- My food took 30+ minutes tochasesdeliciousfoodVIPDined on 4/5/2013My food took 30+ minutes to arrive and it was cold. The food comes out when it's ready so my friend sat eating his dinner for nearly ten minutes before mine came. It was crowded so we would have to grab the attention of a food runner to get our waitress to come over.Special Features:
- had a lovely brunch and wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/31/2013had a lovely brunch and was able to catch up with friends. Had we slid our reservation by an hour there was a group of about 20+ friends who took over & were so loud. Would have been a completely different experience! But really enjoyed ours & would totally recommend!!Special Features:
- really nice staff and food,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/16/2013really nice staff and food, but unbearably loud after 9 pm.
- They were busier on a TuesdayOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/12/2013They were busier on a Tuesday night than on Sunday night. Wow! The duck fat popcorn was quite unique and creative. The short rib was wonderful and the accompanying braised carrots were the best cooked carrots I've ever eaten. We sat upstairs, but found the ambiance much better and with more character/personality downstairs in the main dining room. But the service is consistently good and friendly.Special Features:
- Good Restaurant @ The Orlando HotelOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/10/2013The meatball appetizer was hugh! More than enough to share with each one almost the size of a softball. I would suggest omitting the capers. The saltiness takes away from the meatballs. The hanger steak was quite good with a fried egg on top. Just wish the duck fries were more like fries instead of large potatoe wedges. The service was very friendly and upbeat.Special Features:
- Our waitress kept coming byOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/8/2013Our waitress kept coming by every two seconds which was sort Of annoying and then when we needed her, she wasn't around. My friend and I were chatting and I had put my card down but she hadn't yet (we were splitting the check) and the waitress came by and picked it up without even asking (as we clearly hadn't moved it) and had to yell for her to come back so we could add the other card to split the check. My friend had also asked for a drink that wasn't sweet and suggested the Amelia. The drink was extremely sweet and instead of saying she would take it back or fix it, the server said "I've never ever heard that before." also valet was extremely rude and left my door open for me but to the point where it almost got hit by a car.Special Features:
- Three of us had a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013Three of us had a wonderful breakfast on a Saturday morning in the patio area. We especially enjoyed the hand-pressed juices and got some to go. The grapefruit jiuce was amazing! and we loved the French Toast! Wait staff was attentive. Next time I'm in LA I'm going back!Special Features:
- Churchill's is a feeble attemptOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/18/2013Churchill's is a feeble attempt at a gastropub and local hangout. The decor and aesthetics of the restaurant are hip, young, pleasing to the eye and accentuated with good music. Where it goes wrong is with the food and service. The food is fair but I think "simple is more" rings true with their menu. Service was atrocious. Young kids who have no idea what they are doing. Needs a better general manger to oversee matters.
- The Churchill is a cool spotjoeliveDined on 2/17/2013The Churchill is a cool spot and we love our favorite bartenders, AJ and Ivan!Special Features:
- My only complaint was theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013My only complaint was the delay in the service. It was valentines day however, when my wife and I arrived for a 730PM reservation we were the only ones seated at the time. The two tables who sat after us who seemed to be served by a different server seemed to have received their drinks and in a timely fashion where as we sat waiting for our drinks and waiting to put in our food order. I'll go back because the food was good, but overall they need to get their servers in order; it seemed our server was also serving (or hanging out) downstairs and there were large delays in checking on us. Over all, I will be back as I enjoyed the food, service is always hit or miss in LA.Special Features:
- Good food for a gastropub,OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/8/2013Good food for a gastropub, but INSANELY loud -- went there on a date, and was hoarse from shouting at her the whole night long.Special Features:
- Bad service mars our experienceTMG317VIPDined on 1/27/2013Our absent-minded waitress sadly ruined our experience. She checked on us only once during our entire meal and never brought out our wood-fired thin crust pizza. When somebody finally delivered it, it was cold. I hate cold pizza, but we were hungry and didn't send it back. Our mistake. We couldn't even get anyone's attention to order a glass of wine, and the other waiter we finally flagged down also forgot to put it in until we reminded him. By the time it was delivered, the pizza was half gone. At least it didn't show up on our bill. Too bad. The kale salad was tasty, the pizza inventive, the space has character and a nice outside heated seating area, and the cocktail I ordered was delicious. I expected more from this place.
- Super Loud, Good FoodLovelyinParadizeVIPDined on 1/21/2013This place is owned by the same people who own The Hudson. The bar area is super tiny. If you manage to get a seat, you might still be waiting forever to get a bartender's attention unless you are a model. Food is good. Service in the restaurant area is very good. Noise level is horrible. You will probably end up talking to your date via text.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Standard BrunchJaysonVIPDined on 12/30/2012Went for brunch on a Sunday and was happy to find great food without the traditional 3rd Street chaos many other bruncheries have. It is a very standard menu, all tastes great, and service is what you expect. A great go to in the mix with some of the other usual suspects (Toast, Joans, etc)Special Features:
- Too Loud. No Service.HilaryDined on 12/29/2012Was seated in the bar area/room. So loud! Couldn't hear the person that I came with. We were there to eat dinner. My boyfriend asked the hostess if we could be moved into the front room, but his request was denied. It was about 10:30pm. A waiter never came to our table within 15 minutes of our arrival, so we got up and left. Never ate or drank anything.
- I really enjoyed dinning here.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/27/2012I really enjoyed dinning here. We had an amazing pizza and the cocktails were delicious. I will def be back.Special Features:
- They made us wait 15 minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012They made us wait 15 minutes even though the restaurant was half empty and we had made a reservation. Our drinks came around 10 minutes after the food, and they didnt even give us silverware to eat it with. The food was alright but definitly over priced, even if it was a christmas dinner. Terrible service in all, even though i had heard it was good. I dont think i will be going back.
- Service was subpar and unreliable.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/25/2012Service was subpar and unreliable. The kitchen was understaffed causing the entire tables meals to come out practically 30 minutes apart from each other. The waitress was untrained and frantic and the entire experience put a slight damper on our Christmas Day brunch.
- Hip, cool, dark vibe...however,FoodieSVIPDined on 12/22/2012Hip, cool, dark vibe...however, a limited menu. They no longer carry a lot of signature items that we had gone there for (ie: Churchill tea, etc). Service was great but a bit slow...they don't bring food out together - anything goes. I didn't like that my food came out before my husband's. I was done eating while his food just arrived. This is a better place after 10 pm, if you're single or on a date.Special Features:
- Like an IglooJayFagnanoVIPDined on 12/14/2012Second visit was not clearly as good as the first. It's so hard to maintain consistency in restaurants but it seemed to me the kitchen was toying with some things that worked so well, such as the Pork Belly Porchetta, which wasn't nearly as good in its new presentation as it was previously. Same with the burger and fries - not quite as good as the first time. Will go back there. My biggest complaint was that the room was absolutely freezing and there was nothing they could do about it. Everyone was bundled up. The server was wearing multiple sweaters but said it was roasting upstairs. That needs to be fixed right away!Special Features:
- What a fun place this is.JayFagnanoVIPDined on 12/9/2012What a fun place this is. Great gastro-pub style food with wonderful service. Pork Belly Porchetta was very good and the burger and fries looked really good. Going to try that next time. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Very very loud. Had troubleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/29/2012Very very loud. Had trouble hearing my friend across the table. The black mission figs had no flavor and were sent back. The short ribs were amazing as was the sweet potato gnocchi. Dessert was good - but the chocolate wafer cookie that came with it tasted like ash and was indelible.
- Amazing Find!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2012What a find!!! The Churchill just recently redid all of their menu's and all for the better. We went on a semi-busy night, and had an amazing server who explained everything perfectly for us and recommended some amazing drinks. The bulldog (spicy tequila cocktail) and the best old fashioned I've ever had!! The black cod was out of this world as well as the duck sausage pizza! They have italian doughnuts for dessert too!! The place is hip, trendy, and gets pretty crowded, but the food, drinks and service make this place my new spot!!Special Features:
- Perfect place for casual pubAmirVIPDined on 11/17/2012Perfect place for casual pub dinner and drink. We had a good time there, good energy, great serviceSpecial Features:
- Reserved table for 6 on theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2012Reserved table for 6 on the patio. Table was not ready at reserved time and 2 very very small round tables were pushed together to accommodate the party. Very crowded around other tables and not cozy. Server (Kelly) was outstanding and gave an amazing experience. Would definitely go back because of her. Food was decent. Not a big variety but not terrible. Overall the experience was about 4 stars.Special Features:
- The food was a disappointment.MarseilleVIPDined on 11/10/2012The food was a disappointment. It was expensive for what you got and it really wasn't that good. Little things like, we ordered the warm nuts with olives and cheese and the nuts weren't even warm (not sure if they were even toasted). I expected better food. And lastly I ordered a double espresso and was charged $7.50. What?? I the decor was great and the vibe was happening. I just wish the food lived up to it