The Church Key
8730 W. Sunset Blvd
West Hollywood, CA 90069Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Church Key
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 424-249-3700x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:30pm - 2:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Steven Fretz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Two fireplaces enhance the private dining area, which is suitable for up to 25 seated guests.
- Private Party Contact: Talene Kanian 818-398-7677x
A word from The Church Key
The Church Key is a take on Modern American Cuisine that incorporates carts and a dim sum style of cuisine along with an extensive seasonal shared plate dining experience.We specialize in "funked" up cocktails, and an array of specialty cocktail carts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Church Key - Best Restaurants in Hollywood ›
The Church Key reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (80)fit for foodies (77)good for groups (58)vibrant bar scene (51)special occasion (46)neighborhood gem (25)romantic (23)late-night find (20)great for brunch (12)notable wine list (5)great for lunch (5)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Good food but...MattsbVIPDined on 10/17/2014Great food, poor service, too loud for normal conversation. Cool place for a drink at the bar, but not good if you want a conversation during dinner. Extremely loud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply delightfulGSquaredDined on 10/11/2014Took my bf here for his birthday dinner for the waitresses dressed as Pan Am flight attendants pushing airline carts around serving drinks. But that was just the beginning because everything was amazing. Ambiance, food, service, all of it. The regular menu food was delicious, and the dim sum carts that kept coming by were filled with fun, surprising foods; each better than the last. We had at least 10 different plates and all of them were good. And then came desert. The table to our left exuberantly raved about the donuts and said we "have to get them," so of course we did and...Yeah, the need to change the name because they're so much more than donuts. They're your childhood on a plate.Special Features:
- Bday Din DinHappyhrgirlDined on 10/10/2014A friend took me here for dessert last year for my birthday. The dessert and experience was so unforgettable that we came back for her bday dinner last week. Everyone made my friend feel really special, especially our food server and assistant manager. If they only knew we were major foodies! They were sweet, professional, and attentive. We shared the ribeye for 2 and it was cooked perfectly. Oh! Brussel sprout salad is awesome! Was really looking forward to the sticky pudding they had last year but was no longer on the menu! Disappointed, but we had the brioche donuts which were delicious. What's more important is that my friend kept mentioning how special they were making her feel..checking in on us, fabulous drinks, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring Your Appetite!Lbw123Dined on 10/4/2014Three of us came on Saturday night and ordered a bunch of small plates and sampled a number of the "dim sum" offerings. The hummus was a particular hit, as were the dinner rolls, the beef sliders and the pasta dishes. We didn't have any of the fish entrees this time but last time I was here I had the snapper and it was great. Our waiter told us to have the doughnuts for dessert and I'm glad we listened. They came to the table hot and were maple-glazed served with cinnamon ice cream. Absolutely spectacular! Make sure you save room. The restaurant is beautiful, the service is friendly, and the food is super tasty. It's a great way to spend an evening with friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in WehoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014Church key is fit for everyone, any size, or any occasion. If you're dining alone, the bar offers the full menu and the bartenders and locals will keep you entertained. Church key is the best place to celebrate a special occasion and accommodate larger groups. I made a reservation for 12 and that quickly turned into 18 total. Everyone was satisfied and thrilled and kept raving about church key the rest of the weekend. Thank you again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip & HappeningCoolspotDined on 9/27/2014Church Key is very high energy. Lots of people dressed to impress out on the town. The interior design is cool, but to some degree comfort is sacrificed. The food was well conceived but not always to well executed. The Brussels Sprout salad was very tasty but the skirt was way over salted. The pear/apple pastry dessert was not good. The wine list is a bit over priced.Special Features:
- YUM!!Luv2eatDined on 9/27/2014First - the best Donut dessert I've Ever had!! This is one of our new Favorite places!! It is So much fun to have the carts come around and just be able to pick anything off of it. The Faves - Tacos', pulled pork boa, popcorn, skirt steak, onion tart...... just about everything.Special Features:
- Great Spot to Try Something NewBrunchBunchDined on 9/23/2014I would highly recommend this spot for a group that wants to try something new. The DimSum take on this restaurant is fun, different and delicious!!Special Features:
- Yummy yummy yummy!!!JustEatItDined on 9/17/2014This was recommended by a friend for the dim sum which was so worth it! The small plates were an unexpected variety of delicious guilty pleasures that tasted oh so good. We were lucky to be seated at the rear near the kitchen where the carts came out so had fresh first pickings at them. We also got 2 main dishes (steak and pasta dish) which were very tasty but a small portion- you'll def be grabbing small plates to accent the dishes. Cocktails.....*drool!!!! The specialty cocktails were perfect! The "Nice Melons" was a home run and highly recommended. We were too stuffed for dessert but would def go back just to try those donuts which made my mouth water as I saw the adjacent table order. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic all the way aroundDAReaterDined on 9/17/2014I found The Church Key on Yelp! and I chose it for the proximity to where my date lives. I was very impressed with both the ambiance and the excellent food that came both off of the menu as well as the Dim Sum carts. Everything was exceptional and it was topped off with the dessert of donuts!! I don't eat desserts very often and I'm here to tell you, that was the best one I've ever had or at least can recollect. I'll be back and I've already recommended it to 4 or 5 of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for fun, not food.KeepItRealDined on 9/13/2014Pros: new, different, fun. Cons: food only okay (some plates overkill with spice, not flavor), at times bothersome with service cart (constant interruption in conversation to get food), drinks overkill in prices. Not a place I would frequent often, but I would go back on occasion for scene and variety in restaurant. I think the bigger a group, the more fun it could be.Special Features:
- Food and bar life was great206sojournerDined on 9/11/2014Great space and our server was very courteous and efficient. A little confusion on the "card" that was placed at our table about an American dim sum cart that didn't even make it to our table until our big dishes came.Special Features:
- Beautiful venue, very vibrant.StanDined on 9/4/2014A nice small group dinner spot. The food is fun and unique, and very tasty (though not amazing). Overall a good experience for a very fun group night out.Special Features:
- Delicious and Eclectic mix of foodHayleyDkVIPDined on 8/29/2014If the unusual menu has you worried, don't be. Every single entree we tried sounded unusual but turned out to be delicious. But be careful about over ordering entrees. The dim sum cart that comes around is wonderful. Everything from sushi to salmon, to popcorn, to dumplings to fish tacos and more. Make sure to leave room to taste it all! The banana toffee sticky pudding dessert was also heaven! Donuts were great and everyone that tried the alcoholic otter pops loved them.Special Features:
- Too Early for HollywoodFuzzyFish79Dined on 8/24/2014Church Key was decorated beautifully. What a space?! I don't know if 11 AM is too early for LA but that spot was quiet for brunch which kind of seemed sad. The food was a little heavy, in style, but definitely tasty. Had all the brunch classics in spades... Also, they wheeled around Mimosa & Bloody Mary bars, which was fun. I will go back and hope to others there too!Special Features:
- TCbrunchybrunchersDined on 8/23/2014I heave heard amazing things about the place and brunch was underwhelming. The place was empty but service was poor. Meals were very expensive for what you get. my "new york strip" was four strips of meat, cold grilled corn and corn bread. the wait was very long for drinks, food, etc. The space is fantastic and maybe they are just having growing pains with the new brunch.
- Great, comfortable diningMelpDined on 8/23/2014Great place for hanging out with friends for brunch & lunch. Food is excellent & interesting. Right amount of attention from service staff. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good vibe average foodTrojanhlyDined on 8/16/2014This place has great deco and located at a prime spot on Sunset Blvd.. Unfortunately, this is more a bar/lounge than a fine dining restaurant. All the dishes we tasted were quite average and nothing stood out. While we like the dim sum cart concept, all the dim sum were not that great.Special Features:
- Great but where are the dim sum?NoafVIPDined on 8/9/2014This was our first time at Church Key. Loved the ambiance and the decor. Food was good. Enjoyed the Hummus and the Banana Toffee Pudding was to die for. A cart passed by us once and had the most delicious popcorn. My biggest disappointment though was that I was craving the dim sums everyone has been raving about. We did NOT get any and when I asked the server she said it depends when the chef decides to send them out. We were there from 10-11:30 and the chef didn't send any out. If dim sums were just an occasional thing, they shouldn't be on every overview and write up about the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Church Key dateKimmyK7508VIPDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I enjoyed everything about this restaurant... staff was wonderful, food was amazing!!! The dim sum carts were a unique twist and so delicious! We highly recommend and will definitely be back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food. So so drinks.FoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014The halibut with crispy rice cake was pretty good. Besides that the other dishes were pretty uninteresting. There was barely a dish on the menu that didn't consist of a high-carb item as the star or as a very important part of the plate. The dessert was so so also. The staff didn't really know much about the menu and couldn't really help. They did say that the chef does love carbs however. I will not be returning.
- Bad serviceYoyomoDined on 8/3/2014The restaurant is very nice, the problem was the service, it was terrible, maybe because it was a Sunday night and they were short of waiters We had to wait 15 minutes for a beer, nobody came to our table to take us the order, instead of one waiter we had three. We were waiting for the dim sums and they never arrived. The best thing were the donuts.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed.gnate12VIPDined on 8/3/2014Went to Church Key for my birthday dinner last night and left highly disappointed by the service. Our server rarely stopped by, the dim sum carts were almost non existent (came by our table twice in 1.5 hours), and the liquid nitrogen cart did not bother to stop by our table at all. I was really looking forward to the carts, but they were hardly ever seen. All in all a very disappointing night. One wait staff mentioned to another table that they were understaffed for the evening, but nobody ever bothered to apologize to us. I was expecting much more from this restaurant.Special Features:
- Has yet to dissapointKCG333Dined on 8/3/2014This was our third time back at The Churchkey and there's a reason it's becoming a staple- it's always great. The semi-seasonal menu is filled with dishes that are surprising and layered with deep unique flavors, while always still feeling comforting and fresh. Add on the allure and fun of the constantly rotating dim sum carts and you'll never be bored getting the same old same old here. The wait staff is impeccable, taking painstaking care of my food allergies, and being generally lovely. And finally the cocktails are fantastic (the new G&T is my favorite) and the decor feels sexy and cool, without being overly romantic but instead just enough casual to feel comfortably intimate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingsammysosaDined on 8/2/2014The space is inviting, modern industrial, nostalgic is a sense with the Pan-AM women pushing a Vodka shot bar around as if she was walking down the aisle of a 747 in first class, then you have very nice and fun waiters pushing around a cart for dim sum . . . . oh so good and yet so tempting. The experience was great and to top it off we tried the fresh made donuts . . . to die for . . . a must have. Come on a date or bring a bunch of friends you will enjoy yourself. Have funSpecial Features:
- bEST.fOOD.eVER.LUV2EATVIPDined on 8/1/2014THIS PLACE WAS AMAZE-BALLS!!! SERVICE WAS AWESOME! - THE PAN-AM FLIGHT ATTENDANT MAKING "ADULT" OTTERPOPS WAS THE BEST PART OF THE NIGHT. GO AND EXPERIENCE IT AT LEAST ONCE!Special Features:
- Overpriced bar foodSteakloverVIPDined on 7/26/2014The Church Key is suppose to be a cool concept of regular items on menu and then Pan Am flight attendance are suppose to be coming to your table with a different cart every 15 minutes with different dim sum to try. Well lets say that was not the case. We sat down and ordered a few items from the menu and wanted to order the rest from the dim sum cart since told there were over 35 items to try. We were there for over 3 hours and the cart only came around about 3 times and not with Pan Am flight attendance but regular guy pushing the cart...boring:( The food was basically overpriced bar food and not very good. With having 2 great restaurant to either side of it (Rare by Drai and Eveligh) how this place thinks they are all that not sure.
- Delicious and originalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014My husband and I had read all the reviews of The Church Key and decided to give it a shot. We weren't disappointed - the pierogi and brioche donuts were simply outstanding, as was nearly every dish we tried. A very enjoyable place to have dinner - would be great with a group of friends.Special Features:
- DaveRDined on 7/23/2014Service OK. Our waitress was good. Carts were poor & far too sporadic. Noise level high. Just for people far younger than us, although my daughter, who is used to high level of noise, didn't like it..
- Super fun, great for groupseattoliveDined on 7/22/2014Came here with 5 girlfriends after work during Dine LA. Ambiance is just right, energetic enough without being too loud or too much of a "scene". The Pan-Am flight attendant was fun, tho the adult otter-pops were only so-so (tasted so strongly of alcohol and sugar, reminiscent of cough syrup). The food was quite tasty, very approachable, presentation was creative and well thought out - overall a terrific experience. Would definitely recommend it to others as a fun after work drinks location or group dinner. There was a little patio seating available, though the restaurant is directly on busy Sunset Blvd. not sure how noise levels would be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YOU MUST GO HERE!MelissaLAVIPDined on 7/21/2014First of all, go for Happy Hour. There is a girl dressed as a Pan Am flight attendant that comes acround with a portable bar and makes your drinks right in front of you! We came there for the Dine LA menu, and it was a showcase for what this restaurant has to offer. The crusted bass was out of this world. And the doughnuts!! OMG you cannot leave without getting one. Can't wait to come back. Hands down, AMMMMAZING!Special Features:
- Phenonmal restaurantLa4lifeDined on 7/20/2014Incredible food..incredible service ..already made a reservation to go back....one restaurant not to miss!!! So refreshing to have personable,knowledgable ,kind wait staff who aren't a model,actor,etc....no aires ,just professional Service,with the most pleasurable food...love the entire experience . The food is truly delectable ...one of LA's bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DineLA got me to try this place....danajustdanaVIPDined on 7/15/2014...and I will definitely be back!! Even before I tried the DineLA special menu, the ambience was great and I knew I'd want to come back. Our server was fabulous and attentive. He didn't rush us through dinner just because it was a special set menu. There is nothing worse that the courses coming out quickly and one after the other. It was a leisurely and delightful dinner. Great scene. Great food!!! I would love to come back with a group of friends for my birthday dinner!Special Features:
- A Memorable ExperienceJackieAVIPDined on 7/15/2014From the Pan Am girl rolling adult otter pops around the restaurant to the creative dim sum carts making their way from table to table, a night at The Church Key is one to remember. Sip on the Chai Fashioned and nibble on the chicken liver mousse, English pea hummus and tuna tartare.Special Features:
- So goodMichaelDined on 7/13/2014Had a delicious brunch with friends and will definitely be back for a dinner or a special occasion. Highly recommend. Food was excellent as was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!samanthaphoebesDined on 7/12/2014Great little place with a fun atmosphere and fantastic service. The food is served tapas style, with a dim sum option as well. The two best dishes were easily the brioche doughnuts and the house gin and tonic. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy Spot with Great CocktailsAKLosAngelesDined on 7/10/2014The Church Key is one of my favorite LA restaurants and I frequent it often. It has a seasonal menu that changes but most everything I've had there has been very good and their drinks are very delicious and unique. They have dim sum and the best part is they have some carts that are pan am airport carts with the cart girl dressed like an old Pan Am flight attendant. Very Trendy and a great place to see and be seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GimmickyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/10/2014Shrill girls in too-short skirts and platform heels throwing back novelty drinks dispensed by a Pan Am costumed cocktail waitress. Uninformed waitstaff -- kitchen is decent but atmosphere overwhelmingly detracts. Go for a drink if you are in a ridiculous mood.Special Features:
- disappointingjlosangelesVIPDined on 7/5/2014We were looking forward to trying this well reviewed restaurant but the poor and slow service as well as the less than exciting menu were disappointing. Few food carts came to our table over 3hrs and when we asked our server we were told she. Had no control over their service and when the kitchen gets busy, the carts disappear. Very disappointing. The noise level is very hight so much so that conversation across the table for our larger group was nearly impossible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ExperiencePoppaBear17Dined on 6/22/2014The Church Key was fantastic, such a great restaurant. The food and service was great. We tried almost everything with our large party and there was not one bad thing there. Careful with the food carts, everything on there looks so good and they add up.Special Features:
- The following 89 reviews are from the The Church Key reviews archive.