The Church Key
8730 W. Sunset Blvd
West Hollywood, CA 90069Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Church Key
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: (424) 249-3700
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:30pm - 2:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Steven Fretz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Two fireplaces enhance the private dining area, which is suitable for up to 25 seated guests.
- Private Party Contact: Talene Kanian 818-398-7677x
A word from The Church Key
The Church Key is a take on Modern American Cuisine that incorporates carts and a dim sum style of cuisine along with an extensive seasonal shared plate dining experience.We specialize in "funked" up cocktails, and an array of specialty cocktail carts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Church Key - Best Restaurants in Hollywood ›
The Church Key reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (75)fit for foodies (72)good for groups (58)vibrant bar scene (44)special occasion (43)romantic (24)neighborhood gem (22)late-night find (17)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Amazing food.MichelleDined on 11/25/2014Really enjoyed eating here - the carts that go around are an added bonus. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dim Sum ModernempdxDined on 11/19/2014Pretty rad idea, serving dim sum style from old airplane carts. The adult otter pop was aces. The food and drinks were all very good, although we kept getting passed by with the carts and had to ask the staff to send them over. Other than that the service was excellent. Decor looks like the inside of an Anthropologie store--you can take that as a plus or minus. Probably not a great place for vegetarians/vegans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really fun experience!KJakeDined on 11/15/2014Loved the Dim-Sum style carts and the alcohol popsicles! Off the menu, the skirt steak was fabulous. Great for a group so you can try lots of things. The server was sweet and attentive; the ambience cool (albeit a little noisey!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A food placeLaurDined on 11/6/2014This was the old Ncky Blairs a real hot spot in the 80's. The atmosphere and the decor was nice but the food was a big miss for me. Too too fussy and trying too hard. I don't know why everything has to have bacon in it. The service was good and the carts coming around with the dim sum were good but overall, I didn't love the food. Service was great!!!Special Features:
- Simple and ExquisiteOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/3/2014The Church Key features high-quality food expertly prepared. It's not overly busy, as so much SoCal food is; it doesn't need to be. The quality and the care shine through. Every bite was delish, from the ocean-fresh oysters to the superb rib eye steak to the melt-in-your-mouth brioche donuts. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014In looking for a unique restaurant, I was not disappointed by the beautiful decor of The Church Key. My date and I ordered the Lyonnaise Style-poached egg-crispy potatoes, Rigatoni Pasta-Fennel Sausage, and the Jidori chicken Tikka Masala, but were surprised at the lack of any real flavor in all of those dishes. For dessert, we shared the Brioche Donuts that were highly recommended via reviews. But after a couple of bites, we realized the donuts were unbearably salty. Although disappointed with the food, we would have been happier if the service was slightly better. The food runners and the gentlemen who brought the small dishes on carts to our table were all very nice. Our server, however, was not as friendly.
- awesome times!!!breezeDined on 10/29/2014friend told me about The Church Key and we decided to check it out. We got there on the early side, around 6:30pm, when the place was just filling up. We started with the specialty cocktails which were wonderful. While we were looking at the menu the food cart came by the first time and we tasted the salmon sushi, duck spring rolls and Hamachi which was excellent. We really enjoyed the friendly waitress with cute glasses and a pleasant personality and very helpful with the menu. We had the chef special fish which was excellent as we continued to order food of the cart. Towards the end of the meal the PanAm girl came by with otterpops which were interesting and tasty. Overall a great time and highly recommend it. Have fun.Special Features:
- fabulous Brunch so deliciousSCP2013VIPDined on 10/26/2014we had a wonderful brunch the food was outstanding everything we ordered was SO YUMMYSpecial Features:
- Service and Food LackedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Came here for my birthday and was extremely excited because I have eaten here before, but at the bar - and wanted to show my friends how much fun I had had the last time. We were seated promptly and our table was in a nice spot in the front of the restaurant. We took a moment to look over the menu and then waited... and waited for her to come back and take our order. An HOUR later (I'm truly not exaggerating) we got our drinks. Annoyed we then ordered our food and told our server we were in a rush because of plans to go out after dinner. She was extremely nice- apologized- and got our food out promptly thereafter. Food was mediocre. We each only had 1 drink but had our drinks not taken so long we would have ordered more.Special Features:
- Disappointing evening...diningonsunsetVIPDined on 10/25/2014Our table was by the front door and the hostess stand for an 8pm reservation. We were told we wouldn't able to move to another table unless we wanted to experience a long wait. We were not in the ideal place to be able to enjoy the restaurant. The popsicle cart never made it to our area. Ordered the negroni, but it wasn't the drink that came in the can with church key. Didn't get to experience the Dim Sum because the cart only came around once and it had only one item left (mini pizza that didn't look fresh). We were looking forward to trying the small plates especially the cheetos. We had the ahi tuna tartare, tapioca crusted tai snapper and crispy pork belly - all very tasty. Enjoyed the brioche donuts.
- ChrisVIPDined on 10/25/2014Great, fun place, original food, too warm wine (wine cooler needed), very friendly service, hip and noisy, a fun and good place, for sure. Ready to return!Special Features:
- Wasn't impressedCeeKayDined on 10/24/2014We had reservations but decided to sit at the bar when we given a table in a secluded area. We ordered the Cured Beef Bresaola and the Rigatoni Pasta which were just OK. The dishes arrived extremely fast, almost too fast for us to enjoy our cocktails and enjoy the atmosphere. We were in and out within 45 minutes and felt rushed. We were very disappointed, having read only great reviews. Would not go back.Special Features:
- Best birthday dinner ever.nurderDined on 10/18/2014Great ambiance, great food, great for large groups. The staff is very friendly and professional. Overall it was an amazing night.Special Features:
- Good food but...MattsbVIPDined on 10/17/2014Great food, poor service, too loud for normal conversation. Cool place for a drink at the bar, but not good if you want a conversation during dinner. Extremely loud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply delightfulGSquaredDined on 10/11/2014Took my bf here for his birthday dinner for the waitresses dressed as Pan Am flight attendants pushing airline carts around serving drinks. But that was just the beginning because everything was amazing. Ambiance, food, service, all of it. The regular menu food was delicious, and the dim sum carts that kept coming by were filled with fun, surprising foods; each better than the last. We had at least 10 different plates and all of them were good. And then came desert. The table to our left exuberantly raved about the donuts and said we "have to get them," so of course we did and...Yeah, the need to change the name because they're so much more than donuts. They're your childhood on a plate.Special Features:
- Bday Din DinHappyhrgirlDined on 10/10/2014A friend took me here for dessert last year for my birthday. The dessert and experience was so unforgettable that we came back for her bday dinner last week. Everyone made my friend feel really special, especially our food server and assistant manager. If they only knew we were major foodies! They were sweet, professional, and attentive. We shared the ribeye for 2 and it was cooked perfectly. Oh! Brussel sprout salad is awesome! Was really looking forward to the sticky pudding they had last year but was no longer on the menu! Disappointed, but we had the brioche donuts which were delicious. What's more important is that my friend kept mentioning how special they were making her feel..checking in on us, fabulous drinks, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring Your Appetite!Lbw123Dined on 10/4/2014Three of us came on Saturday night and ordered a bunch of small plates and sampled a number of the "dim sum" offerings. The hummus was a particular hit, as were the dinner rolls, the beef sliders and the pasta dishes. We didn't have any of the fish entrees this time but last time I was here I had the snapper and it was great. Our waiter told us to have the doughnuts for dessert and I'm glad we listened. They came to the table hot and were maple-glazed served with cinnamon ice cream. Absolutely spectacular! Make sure you save room. The restaurant is beautiful, the service is friendly, and the food is super tasty. It's a great way to spend an evening with friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in WehoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014Church key is fit for everyone, any size, or any occasion. If you're dining alone, the bar offers the full menu and the bartenders and locals will keep you entertained. Church key is the best place to celebrate a special occasion and accommodate larger groups. I made a reservation for 12 and that quickly turned into 18 total. Everyone was satisfied and thrilled and kept raving about church key the rest of the weekend. Thank you again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip & HappeningCoolspotDined on 9/27/2014Church Key is very high energy. Lots of people dressed to impress out on the town. The interior design is cool, but to some degree comfort is sacrificed. The food was well conceived but not always to well executed. The Brussels Sprout salad was very tasty but the skirt was way over salted. The pear/apple pastry dessert was not good. The wine list is a bit over priced.Special Features:
- YUM!!Luv2eatDined on 9/27/2014First - the best Donut dessert I've Ever had!! This is one of our new Favorite places!! It is So much fun to have the carts come around and just be able to pick anything off of it. The Faves - Tacos', pulled pork boa, popcorn, skirt steak, onion tart...... just about everything.Special Features:
- Great Spot to Try Something NewBrunchBunchDined on 9/23/2014I would highly recommend this spot for a group that wants to try something new. The DimSum take on this restaurant is fun, different and delicious!!Special Features:
- Yummy yummy yummy!!!JustEatItDined on 9/17/2014This was recommended by a friend for the dim sum which was so worth it! The small plates were an unexpected variety of delicious guilty pleasures that tasted oh so good. We were lucky to be seated at the rear near the kitchen where the carts came out so had fresh first pickings at them. We also got 2 main dishes (steak and pasta dish) which were very tasty but a small portion- you'll def be grabbing small plates to accent the dishes. Cocktails.....*drool!!!! The specialty cocktails were perfect! The "Nice Melons" was a home run and highly recommended. We were too stuffed for dessert but would def go back just to try those donuts which made my mouth water as I saw the adjacent table order. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic all the way aroundDAReaterDined on 9/17/2014I found The Church Key on Yelp! and I chose it for the proximity to where my date lives. I was very impressed with both the ambiance and the excellent food that came both off of the menu as well as the Dim Sum carts. Everything was exceptional and it was topped off with the dessert of donuts!! I don't eat desserts very often and I'm here to tell you, that was the best one I've ever had or at least can recollect. I'll be back and I've already recommended it to 4 or 5 of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for fun, not food.KeepItRealDined on 9/13/2014Pros: new, different, fun. Cons: food only okay (some plates overkill with spice, not flavor), at times bothersome with service cart (constant interruption in conversation to get food), drinks overkill in prices. Not a place I would frequent often, but I would go back on occasion for scene and variety in restaurant. I think the bigger a group, the more fun it could be.Special Features:
- Food and bar life was great206sojournerDined on 9/11/2014Great space and our server was very courteous and efficient. A little confusion on the "card" that was placed at our table about an American dim sum cart that didn't even make it to our table until our big dishes came.Special Features:
- Beautiful venue, very vibrant.StanDined on 9/4/2014A nice small group dinner spot. The food is fun and unique, and very tasty (though not amazing). Overall a good experience for a very fun group night out.Special Features:
- Delicious and Eclectic mix of foodHayleyDkVIPDined on 8/29/2014If the unusual menu has you worried, don't be. Every single entree we tried sounded unusual but turned out to be delicious. But be careful about over ordering entrees. The dim sum cart that comes around is wonderful. Everything from sushi to salmon, to popcorn, to dumplings to fish tacos and more. Make sure to leave room to taste it all! The banana toffee sticky pudding dessert was also heaven! Donuts were great and everyone that tried the alcoholic otter pops loved them.Special Features:
- Too Early for HollywoodFuzzyFish79Dined on 8/24/2014Church Key was decorated beautifully. What a space?! I don't know if 11 AM is too early for LA but that spot was quiet for brunch which kind of seemed sad. The food was a little heavy, in style, but definitely tasty. Had all the brunch classics in spades... Also, they wheeled around Mimosa & Bloody Mary bars, which was fun. I will go back and hope to others there too!Special Features:
- TCbrunchybrunchersDined on 8/23/2014I heave heard amazing things about the place and brunch was underwhelming. The place was empty but service was poor. Meals were very expensive for what you get. my "new york strip" was four strips of meat, cold grilled corn and corn bread. the wait was very long for drinks, food, etc. The space is fantastic and maybe they are just having growing pains with the new brunch.
- Great, comfortable diningMelpDined on 8/23/2014Great place for hanging out with friends for brunch & lunch. Food is excellent & interesting. Right amount of attention from service staff. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good vibe average foodTrojanhlyDined on 8/16/2014This place has great deco and located at a prime spot on Sunset Blvd.. Unfortunately, this is more a bar/lounge than a fine dining restaurant. All the dishes we tasted were quite average and nothing stood out. While we like the dim sum cart concept, all the dim sum were not that great.Special Features:
- Great but where are the dim sum?NoafVIPDined on 8/9/2014This was our first time at Church Key. Loved the ambiance and the decor. Food was good. Enjoyed the Hummus and the Banana Toffee Pudding was to die for. A cart passed by us once and had the most delicious popcorn. My biggest disappointment though was that I was craving the dim sums everyone has been raving about. We did NOT get any and when I asked the server she said it depends when the chef decides to send them out. We were there from 10-11:30 and the chef didn't send any out. If dim sums were just an occasional thing, they shouldn't be on every overview and write up about the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Church Key dateKimmyK7508VIPDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I enjoyed everything about this restaurant... staff was wonderful, food was amazing!!! The dim sum carts were a unique twist and so delicious! We highly recommend and will definitely be back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food. So so drinks.FoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014The halibut with crispy rice cake was pretty good. Besides that the other dishes were pretty uninteresting. There was barely a dish on the menu that didn't consist of a high-carb item as the star or as a very important part of the plate. The dessert was so so also. The staff didn't really know much about the menu and couldn't really help. They did say that the chef does love carbs however. I will not be returning.
- Bad serviceYoyomoDined on 8/3/2014The restaurant is very nice, the problem was the service, it was terrible, maybe because it was a Sunday night and they were short of waiters We had to wait 15 minutes for a beer, nobody came to our table to take us the order, instead of one waiter we had three. We were waiting for the dim sums and they never arrived. The best thing were the donuts.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed.gnate12VIPDined on 8/3/2014Went to Church Key for my birthday dinner last night and left highly disappointed by the service. Our server rarely stopped by, the dim sum carts were almost non existent (came by our table twice in 1.5 hours), and the liquid nitrogen cart did not bother to stop by our table at all. I was really looking forward to the carts, but they were hardly ever seen. All in all a very disappointing night. One wait staff mentioned to another table that they were understaffed for the evening, but nobody ever bothered to apologize to us. I was expecting much more from this restaurant.Special Features:
- Has yet to dissapointKCG333Dined on 8/3/2014This was our third time back at The Churchkey and there's a reason it's becoming a staple- it's always great. The semi-seasonal menu is filled with dishes that are surprising and layered with deep unique flavors, while always still feeling comforting and fresh. Add on the allure and fun of the constantly rotating dim sum carts and you'll never be bored getting the same old same old here. The wait staff is impeccable, taking painstaking care of my food allergies, and being generally lovely. And finally the cocktails are fantastic (the new G&T is my favorite) and the decor feels sexy and cool, without being overly romantic but instead just enough casual to feel comfortably intimate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingsammysosaDined on 8/2/2014The space is inviting, modern industrial, nostalgic is a sense with the Pan-AM women pushing a Vodka shot bar around as if she was walking down the aisle of a 747 in first class, then you have very nice and fun waiters pushing around a cart for dim sum . . . . oh so good and yet so tempting. The experience was great and to top it off we tried the fresh made donuts . . . to die for . . . a must have. Come on a date or bring a bunch of friends you will enjoy yourself. Have funSpecial Features:
- bEST.fOOD.eVER.LUV2EATVIPDined on 8/1/2014THIS PLACE WAS AMAZE-BALLS!!! SERVICE WAS AWESOME! - THE PAN-AM FLIGHT ATTENDANT MAKING "ADULT" OTTERPOPS WAS THE BEST PART OF THE NIGHT. GO AND EXPERIENCE IT AT LEAST ONCE!Special Features:
- The following 104 reviews are from the The Church Key reviews archive.
- Overpriced bar foodSteakloverVIPDined on 7/26/2014The Church Key is suppose to be a cool concept of regular items on menu and then Pan Am flight attendance are suppose to be coming to your table with a different cart every 15 minutes with different dim sum to try. Well lets say that was not the case. We sat down and ordered a few items from the menu and wanted to order the rest from the dim sum cart since told there were over 35 items to try. We were there for over 3 hours and the cart only came around about 3 times and not with Pan Am flight attendance but regular guy pushing the cart...boring:( The food was basically overpriced bar food and not very good. With having 2 great restaurant to either side of it (Rare by Drai and Eveligh) how this place thinks they are all that not sure.