The Chop House - Grand Rapids
190 Monroe Ave NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Chop House - Grand Rapids
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thechophouserestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6164516184
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Chop House in Grand Rapids offers not just one private dining area's but three! The Napa Suite enclosed in glass can seat up to 40, The Maduro Room with it's elegantly comfortable tables & decor offers seating for up to 20 & the Semi Private Dining in the main dining room can accommodate up to 20.
- Private Party Contact: Harry Johnson 8884563463
A word from The Chop House - Grand Rapids
The Chop House in Grand Rapids features the finest in Midwestern, grain-fed meats, USDA Prime beef & premium wines in a refined & elegant setting. Roasted Rack of Venison, Luscious Australian Rib Lamb Chop, Succulent Caviar & Fresh Lobster grace the menu. Perfect for that special night out or for entertaining business clients, The Chop House features specialized private dining areas tailored to meet your every need. To complete this unparalleled dining experience head next door to La Dolce Vita, our specially designed Dessert & Cigar Lounge & treat yourself to sinfully delicious fine desserts hand crafted by our own Pastry Chef. The Chop House is the place to treat yourself to consummately satisfying fine dining. Prepare To Be Pampered... click here for special events and promotions information http://msventures.com/thechophouse_web/pages/chop_grand.htmlContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Chop House - Grand Rapids - Best Restaurants in Grand Rapids ›
The Chop House - Grand Rapids reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (134)romantic (96)notable wine list (72)fit for foodies (58)good for groups (27)neighborhood gem (13)hot spot (9)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- 30th Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014We went here to celebrate my boyfriends 30th Birthday. I was pleasantly surprised when I got the bill to see that you get half off your meal on your birthday. The steaks were delicious, as was the rest of our meal. The staff was excellent, and the entire night was memorable. The only minor flaw is the noise in there. It would have been nice to have a bit more private spot where we didn't have to talk so loud in order to hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disapointed in our experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014I took my wife to the Chop House for the 1st time for her birthday. Our waiter was helpful and showed us a picture on the menu on what the level of pink would be for our steaks. We ordered the same. Her steak was burned with no pink anywhere. The waiter was embarressed and a manager came over and promptly took it away. 15 minutes later a new steak arrived and this one was severely under-cooked. He apologized and took it back for a 3rd time. She had it bagged because by now my meal was gone. Another manager came over and apologized but the experience was over at that point. Her steak was free along with desserts but it doesn't erase the overall experience. This was her birthday evening that I found myself apologizing for!Special Features:
- Chop House GROpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2014Great ambience, good menu offering, great service! Sides and apps were great, entree(filet) was not "plated" hot and served warm. Grade/cut was above average but at $49 it should have been "top shelf". Serving temp affected my review.
- birthday dinnerAnonymous33Dined on 10/13/2014My boyfriend and I heard about The Chop House a few years ago through friends. We've been coming for each others birthdays ever since. It's always great and I try to get something different each time. So far it keeps getting better! I also always order the meat at the recommended temperature of the chef to ensure it's most enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chop HouseAFR1Dined on 10/11/2014The food left me wanting more. I got the filet and it was a great piece of meat and cooked to my liking, however it didn't much flavor. I didn't put sauce on it because it was a $60 steak(even though I wanted to) but I did add some salt. The staff was well trained. Some of the service was over the top and unnecessary. My husband and I didn't like the fact that they raise the plate in the air before they place it on the table. Other than that one thing the service was great, even better than Ruth's Chris. When my husband and I go out for a nice meal we prefer good food over good service. In the future we plan on going elsewhere.Special Features:
- GilbertkleiffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014Traveled all over the world and found this Streakhouse as fine as any And better than some. I will return and altho it is close to RC it is just as good Waitstaff are the most professionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EverythingFgcoolDined on 10/9/2014Food,service and drinks were great. Dover Sole was unbelievable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth going tofit4foodDined on 10/9/2014First time and it is definitely worth going to at least once. Expensive, but the food was amazing.Special Features:
- Consistently Great Food and ServiceStellabeeVIPDined on 10/9/2014My husband and I come here a few times per year and have always had a consistently great experience. The food is prepared well and the service is outstanding. I will mention that I thought the French onion soup was too salty and I ordered the scallops with my steak which I thought were slightly overcooked, however, they weren't a deal breaker for me because of the wonderful service. The steaks are phenomenal as is the ahi tuna and mac and cheese. The atmosphere was buzzing, especially for a Thursday night and a reservation on the later side which is always nice. I would say that one of the biggest draws away from the Chop House is to Ruth's Chris across the street because of its more modern decor and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST BIRTHDAY DINNER!BIRTHDAYDined on 10/8/2014I loved the service, it was so professional! They were very polite and they even recommended some special dishes that the chef was prepparing. Our server's name was Blake and he was the BEST! The ambiance was very romantic and easy going with a touch fancy! ;) The food was AMAZING! One of the best meals I've had in my life. It's on the pricey end but it is 120% WORTH IT! love love love! They even have a deal if you go on your birthday, the meal portion is 50% off! So it's super worth it! From appetizer to dessert to drinks inbetween, this is my new favorite fancy resteraunt! :DSpecial Features:
- Fabulous Night OutBeverlyDined on 10/7/2014I took three professional women out for dinner to discuss business, personal things, and anything inbetween. The night was full of sharing and laughter, and we were fully supported and served by the great Chop House staff. They filled water glasses and wine glasses right on cue. I couldn't have asked for a better night out for these women.Special Features:
- MaresDined on 10/7/2014We always enjoy our food and experience at The Chop House. We only visit for special occasions, but it's our favorite place for steak. The filet and creme brûlée are my favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Outstanding all the way around---I appreciate that it is a top-end establishment that is not "stuffy". It is by far our favorite for a special occasion. My wife and I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceDAZZDined on 9/27/2014We celebrated our anniversary at the Chop House and it was a perfect venue. The service was impeccable and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AC brokenAdmanGRDined on 9/27/2014We were forewarned the AC was out and wound up sitting next to a droaning temporary unit. Better than sweltering - not ideal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014FOOD WAS FABULOUS PRICES ARE NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART HOWEVER WORTH EVERY PENNY AND THAT'S THE REASON WHY WE ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE OF OUR EXPEIENCE, FOOD WAS TREMENDOUS AND THE SERVICE AND ATTENTION TO DETAIL WAS BETTERSpecial Features:
- Chop house comes thru again!lansingmitchDined on 9/26/2014To celebrate a special occasion, my partner and I dined at the Chop House in Grand Rapids this past weekend. We've been to both this restaurant and its sister property in Ann Arbor a few times before. The service (Thanks John Wilson!) was superb... the perfect blend of taking really good care of us without being intrusive. John also recommended an excellent wine (Charrones Meurseult... a nice, dry French white burgundy) that paired well with our dover sole. (One very minor criticism is that that sole was not served tableside but that may be because we split the entree... in fact all courses which they split in the kitchen - a much appreciated extra effort). One minor recommendation: a little jazz music in the background. Great job!Special Features:
- TremendousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014Although we have only dined there twice, it has become a must stop each time my wife and I are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014The service was excellent. The cocktails delicious. The grilled romaine salad was terrific! The crab and lobster cakes were wonderful. We sipped wine and took our time enjoying the surroundings and excellent food!!Special Features:
- Really enjoyedGoodDined on 9/20/2014Harry the manager was outstanding! Very nice man! I will come back next time I have an event, and will recommend friends to visit!Special Features:
- Chop House Grand RapidsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014I ordered the 11oz filet mignon medium and it was cooked perfectly. My wife ordered the salmon and asked for it blackened after being given that option by the waitress but it arrived at our table looking only very lightly grilled. My wife accepted it and was happy with it even thought it was not prepared as she had ordered. We also ordered the au gratin potatoes and the asparagus, both of which were delicious and large enough for two to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent - - - as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014The Chop House Grand Rapids NEVER disappoints in food or service. First class all the way.Special Features:
- Old time steak houseLANG0DDined on 9/13/2014Went here for my sons 20th birthday. Service was excellent, food was good. Amazingly the seafood was much better than the steaks. Excellent bar and wine, with interactive menus. A very pleasant evening.Special Features:
- Best in GRbestDined on 9/13/2014The food was outstanding. The service was great. The GM Harry was on point with the food and appearance. Jennifer was our server and her knowledge of the menu and wine list was impeccable. I have been to all the major fine dining establishments in GR and this is the best.Special Features:
- Perfect MealInjoyfoodDined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed a quiet meal with dear friends. At the chop house you can hear table conversation without yelling. The food as always amazing. My husband always enjoys the Beef Wellington and I sea food. This is one of the reasons we love the Chop House. They prepare sea food and Steak equally well ! I Look forward to the next occasion that brings us to the Chop House.Special Features:
- capped off 24 yearsjeffvDined on 9/12/2014The Chop House was a wonderful way for us to punctuate 24 years of marriage! They actually read and responded to my request for a secluded table to celebrate our anniversary AND congratulated us upon our arrival for our years of marriage. After several times of restaurants ignoring a request for a table not on the main walkway in, it was wonderful to have them accommodate us. Our waiter Tim was wonderful, fun and witty, there when we needed him and gone when we did not. His suggestions were spot on for food and drink combos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catherine made it specialcateVIPDined on 9/9/2014Our server, Catherine, made it an extra-special event. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In town for a concertArchRegDined on 9/8/2014We had the scallops and swordfish it was a fantastic meal The menu was on a tablet and that made it so easy to read in the lower lightingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Broken a/cTooHotDined on 9/5/2014Experience was ok but the air conditioning was broken and it was way too warm inside to enjoy myself. Food was very good but over priced. I think it's a good place for those who enjoy paying big dollars just to say they did.Special Features:
- Our wedding anniversary49andcountingDined on 9/3/2014A wonderful anniversary dinning experience. Food and service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationTammiSueDined on 8/30/2014All was perfect. Fun cocktails, amazing steaks and best sides! Service like no other!Special Features:
- Outstanding!!ivansaysDined on 8/22/2014Seven of us celebrated 2 birthdays with great food delivered in great fashion!! Super evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014Exceptional food, exceptional service..always a pleasureSpecial Features:
- Birthday DinnerTonyDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I went to The Chop House in Grand Rapids for her birthday this year and we were not disappointed. When I made reservations, I noted that it was for my wife's birthday and when we arrived, they greeted her saying, "Happy Birthday, Christie". It was a nice touch. All of the wait staff also wished her a happy birthday and when we we seated at our table, there was a birthday card waiting, signed by all of the staff. The menu's were very nice, as they were presented on tablets that showed pictures for every item on the list as well as drink pairings for those specific items. Best of all, at the end of the dinner, we were given 50% off of our food bill for her birthday! Everyone was extremely nice & professional! This place is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!Jwd1963Dined on 8/16/2014We celebrated our daughter's 18th and had a fine experience. The food is remarkable! And with the birthday special we were able to keep our bill under control.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionsEmilyDined on 8/15/2014Enjoyed dining here for our 2nd wedding anniversary and the experience was amazing. Delicious food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingBasso53HuckDined on 8/14/2014Jennifer did a fantastic job. My girlfriend and I came out to celebrate my birthday and she made the overall experience wonderful for us. She was attentive, timely, polite and very knowledgable. To add to the occasion the food was above expectation and service from additional servers was exemplary. We will definitely be making this a tradition from now on. Thank you for a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but priceyJimboDined on 8/14/2014We started with the lobster bisque - which was to die for. I had the steak au poivre which was terrific; my wife had the scallops which she thought were great. We also had the spinach with garlic which was perfectly prepared. The bread served before the meal was also excellent. Certainly the best restaurant meal we have had in GR, but easily the most expensive!Special Features:
- Superb!1CharliesfanDined on 8/11/2014Fantastic food and awesome service. By far the very best restaurant in Grand Rapids!Special Features:
- Memorable ServiceJayEllisIVDined on 8/9/2014Unless you have a liberal expense account, this is great $$$$ place best visited on a very special occasion. All service staff members are incredibly well trained and exemplify the best of midwestern customer service -- quick, respectful, accommodating and very pleasant -- not officious, in-your-face, nor overly impressed with themselves for getting hired by such a good restaurant. Our entrees were exceptional with surprisingly large portions. I had the largest single serving of swordfish ever, and she had a "petite" filet mignon that exceeded any petite measurements. Both were prepared simply but deliciously. We loved the menus on iPads with deep details on all food selections, but tapping and swiping thru the notable wine list was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.