The Chop House - Grand Rapids
190 Monroe Ave NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Chop House - Grand Rapids
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thechophouserestaurant.com/
- Phone: (616) 451-6184
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Chop House in Grand Rapids offers not just one private dining area's but three! The Napa Suite enclosed in glass can seat up to 40, The Maduro Room with it's elegantly comfortable tables & decor offers seating for up to 20 & the Semi Private Dining in the main dining room can accommodate up to 20.
- Private Party Contact: Harry Johnson 8884563463
A word from The Chop House - Grand Rapids
The Chop House in Grand Rapids features the finest in Midwestern, grain-fed meats, USDA Prime beef & premium wines in a refined & elegant setting. Roasted Rack of Venison, Luscious Australian Rib Lamb Chop, Succulent Caviar & Fresh Lobster grace the menu. Perfect for that special night out or for entertaining business clients, The Chop House features specialized private dining areas tailored to meet your every need. To complete this unparalleled dining experience head next door to La Dolce Vita, our specially designed Dessert & Cigar Lounge & treat yourself to sinfully delicious fine desserts hand crafted by our own Pastry Chef. The Chop House is the place to treat yourself to consummately satisfying fine dining. Prepare To Be Pampered... click here for special events and promotions information http://msventures.com/thechophouse_web/pages/chop_grand.htmlContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Chop House - Grand Rapids - Best Restaurants in Grand Rapids ›
The Chop House - Grand Rapids reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (123)romantic (84)notable wine list (71)fit for foodies (57)good for groups (26)neighborhood gem (15)hot spot (14)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Just OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/22/2014This is my second time in the Chop House. The scallops were delicious. The chop salad was just ok for $22. The smashed potatoes were amazing. The NY strip was blah at $44. The sommelier recommended an okay bottle of wine for $94. It is a good restaurant if you have the money to throw away. We celebrate Bdays here because of the discount which is a great deal. Other than that, I dont think we would go if we had to pay full price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th anniversaryJDinGRDined on 11/22/2014My wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at the Chop House in Grand Rapids, MI. Very good food, excellent service. Nice wine selection. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Place!!!DAG1350Dined on 11/21/2014My wife and I love dining out and have been to many nice restaurants over our years together. Outside of a VERY hi priced meal we had in Vegas this was the best experience we have ever had! The only thing better than the food was the pampering and service we received. This is a must try place and if Tesha is available as a server get her!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great evening at the Chop House!SigloVIPDined on 11/21/2014John, our server, hit it out of the ball park. And what a pleasure to see Blake in his new role as the Dining Room Manager! The gentleman knows his wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first visitBob03Dined on 11/20/2014We enjoyed the atmosphere and the service was outstanding. Our waiter was present just when we needed him to be, every time. The filets were cooked to perfection, with Oscar style lobster a perfect addition. The lobster bisque was the best I have ever had. You get what you pay for and this was well worth the price. We could become frequent diners at The Chop House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerChazDined on 11/19/2014The service was outstanding. The steaks are excellent. Better than Ruth Chris. Great bar and good drinks. The only disappointment was the wine list. Too few wines by the glass, almost no half-bottles and a limited selection of bottles. We will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love2eatDined on 11/14/2014We had an exceptional experience at The Chop House! Our server was very knowledgable about the menu and how each dish was was prepared and served. We both agreed that it was probably the best meal at a restaurant that we have ever ordered. It was perfect!!! We will definatley be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best. Steak. Ever!ckluckydogDined on 11/13/2014I love The Chop House! Although we have Ruth's Chris and Judson's nearby, I would always chose The Chop House first. I had the NY Strip and it was cooked to perfection, medium rare. My husband ordered the Kobe rib-eye, which was also perfectly good and well marbled. For our sides we had the scalloped potatoes and creamed spinach. I didn't particularly care for the spinach, but the potatoes were amazing. The lobster bisque and house salad were very good starters. We were a little disappointed that we weren't able to enjoy an after dinner cigar as they were having a special event in the lounge, however they did advise we would still be able to enjoy an after dinner drink if we wanted. I will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exemplary service and delightful food.foodie14Dined on 11/8/2014The Chop House continues to be one of the reasons I visit Grand Rapids at all. Fantastic experience all around, and I continue to appreciate the transition from dinner to after-dinner downstairs. It makes for a great night. The staff is very well trained. They make sure we "enjoy" every minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014The experience at the Grand Rapids Chop House was great! Best steak I have had in years. Perfectly cooked. I would recommend this place to anyone who has a craving for a perfect cut of beef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect place to indulgeJW2014Dined on 11/8/2014Food and service was, as always, outstanding. The steak speaks for itself, but the little things like setting down all food plates at the same time for all 4 people, knowledge of wine pairings and at the same time a formal but relaxed setting makes this place perfect.Special Features:
- BillDined on 11/7/2014We had a nice dinner and service was very good. Had to wait an extra 25 minutes for our table based off our original reservation timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/6/2014We had a great dinner and amazing service. The steaks were done to perfection and were delicious. The grilled romaine salad was very tasty. The cocktails were great and the wine was excellent. The atmosphere was very inviting. We had a great timeSpecial Features:
- FabulousFredDined on 11/4/2014I used to live in the Grand Rapids area, and never had the opportunity to visit the Chop House. What a fabulous experience! The staff, at every level, was extraordinary, and the food was a 10!Special Features:
- Did not meet expectations.NicknameDined on 11/3/2014Overall, we had a fine dining experience at the Grand Rapids Chop House. The service was great and ambiance pleasant. However, after a fine buildup of appetizer, salads, lobster bisque, we felt let down when the main course arrived. The garlic smashed potato dish was pretty good (not great), but the New York strip steak, while fairly flavorful, was definitely on the tough side. It did not measure up to our expectation. I mentioned this to the server, and we were offered a free dessert as compensation. We have visited Chicago's Chop House in the past and were well pleased with that experience.
- Top SpotGrandpaLeeDined on 11/1/2014Private party this night kept everyone jumping, but they pulled it off well. Food and service deserving of their great reputation. Great eating, special night all, trying to impress... this is the place.Special Features:
- A birthday to rememberCaydezDined on 10/31/2014I chose this place based only on their deal 50% off for a party of two on your birthday. It couldn't have been a luckier choice for me! It was a beautiful restaurant; upscale decor, fine dining menu, even a dessert and cigar lounge called "Le Dolce Vita" located downstairs from the main dining area. The staff, from the hostess, to our waiter, the bus boy and the dessert and cigar waitress in the lounge, were exceptionally nice and courteous. They took their restaurants motto of going above and beyond and pampering their patrons seriously. I highly recommend this place, if you can afford 4 star steak house prices. The food and the service is worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SteakbistroR8RDined on 10/25/2014Great service and excellent steak. The other menu items we tried were also top-notch. Prices are comparable to Ruth's Cris, but for the money my wife and I agree we both prefer the Chop House.Special Features:
- RomanticcjhennerDined on 10/24/2014The Atmosphere was superb for my wife's birthday. The steaks were out of this world perfectly done. The presentation and service were above the top. I would recommend this to anyone with someone special or a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantLxslzr07Dined on 10/24/2014We always have a wonderful time at The Chop House. The service is like no other and the wait staff is always friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30th Birthday DinnerGRDinerDined on 10/16/2014We went here to celebrate my boyfriends 30th Birthday. I was pleasantly surprised when I got the bill to see that you get half off your meal on your birthday. The steaks were delicious, as was the rest of our meal. The staff was excellent, and the entire night was memorable. The only minor flaw is the noise in there. It would have been nice to have a bit more private spot where we didn't have to talk so loud in order to hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disapointed in our experience!BuckDined on 10/16/2014I took my wife to the Chop House for the 1st time for her birthday. Our waiter was helpful and showed us a picture on the menu on what the level of pink would be for our steaks. We ordered the same. Her steak was burned with no pink anywhere. The waiter was embarressed and a manager came over and promptly took it away. 15 minutes later a new steak arrived and this one was severely under-cooked. He apologized and took it back for a 3rd time. She had it bagged because by now my meal was gone. Another manager came over and apologized but the experience was over at that point. Her steak was free along with desserts but it doesn't erase the overall experience. This was her birthday evening that I found myself apologizing for!Special Features:
- Chop House GROpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2014Great ambience, good menu offering, great service! Sides and apps were great, entree(filet) was not "plated" hot and served warm. Grade/cut was above average but at $49 it should have been "top shelf". Serving temp affected my review.
- birthday dinnerAnonymous33Dined on 10/13/2014My boyfriend and I heard about The Chop House a few years ago through friends. We've been coming for each others birthdays ever since. It's always great and I try to get something different each time. So far it keeps getting better! I also always order the meat at the recommended temperature of the chef to ensure it's most enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chop HouseAFR1Dined on 10/11/2014The food left me wanting more. I got the filet and it was a great piece of meat and cooked to my liking, however it didn't much flavor. I didn't put sauce on it because it was a $60 steak(even though I wanted to) but I did add some salt. The staff was well trained. Some of the service was over the top and unnecessary. My husband and I didn't like the fact that they raise the plate in the air before they place it on the table. Other than that one thing the service was great, even better than Ruth's Chris. When my husband and I go out for a nice meal we prefer good food over good service. In the future we plan on going elsewhere.Special Features:
- GilbertkleiffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014Traveled all over the world and found this Streakhouse as fine as any And better than some. I will return and altho it is close to RC it is just as good Waitstaff are the most professionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EverythingFgcoolDined on 10/9/2014Food,service and drinks were great. Dover Sole was unbelievable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth going tofit4foodDined on 10/9/2014First time and it is definitely worth going to at least once. Expensive, but the food was amazing.Special Features:
- Consistently Great Food and ServiceStellabeeVIPDined on 10/9/2014My husband and I come here a few times per year and have always had a consistently great experience. The food is prepared well and the service is outstanding. I will mention that I thought the French onion soup was too salty and I ordered the scallops with my steak which I thought were slightly overcooked, however, they weren't a deal breaker for me because of the wonderful service. The steaks are phenomenal as is the ahi tuna and mac and cheese. The atmosphere was buzzing, especially for a Thursday night and a reservation on the later side which is always nice. I would say that one of the biggest draws away from the Chop House is to Ruth's Chris across the street because of its more modern decor and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST BIRTHDAY DINNER!BIRTHDAYDined on 10/8/2014I loved the service, it was so professional! They were very polite and they even recommended some special dishes that the chef was prepparing. Our server's name was Blake and he was the BEST! The ambiance was very romantic and easy going with a touch fancy! ;) The food was AMAZING! One of the best meals I've had in my life. It's on the pricey end but it is 120% WORTH IT! love love love! They even have a deal if you go on your birthday, the meal portion is 50% off! So it's super worth it! From appetizer to dessert to drinks inbetween, this is my new favorite fancy resteraunt! :DSpecial Features:
- Fabulous Night OutBeverlyDined on 10/7/2014I took three professional women out for dinner to discuss business, personal things, and anything inbetween. The night was full of sharing and laughter, and we were fully supported and served by the great Chop House staff. They filled water glasses and wine glasses right on cue. I couldn't have asked for a better night out for these women.Special Features:
- MaresDined on 10/7/2014We always enjoy our food and experience at The Chop House. We only visit for special occasions, but it's our favorite place for steak. The filet and creme brûlée are my favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Outstanding all the way around---I appreciate that it is a top-end establishment that is not "stuffy". It is by far our favorite for a special occasion. My wife and I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceDAZZDined on 9/27/2014We celebrated our anniversary at the Chop House and it was a perfect venue. The service was impeccable and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AC brokenAdmanGRDined on 9/27/2014We were forewarned the AC was out and wound up sitting next to a droaning temporary unit. Better than sweltering - not ideal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014FOOD WAS FABULOUS PRICES ARE NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART HOWEVER WORTH EVERY PENNY AND THAT'S THE REASON WHY WE ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE OF OUR EXPEIENCE, FOOD WAS TREMENDOUS AND THE SERVICE AND ATTENTION TO DETAIL WAS BETTERSpecial Features:
- Chop house comes thru again!lansingmitchDined on 9/26/2014To celebrate a special occasion, my partner and I dined at the Chop House in Grand Rapids this past weekend. We've been to both this restaurant and its sister property in Ann Arbor a few times before. The service (Thanks John Wilson!) was superb... the perfect blend of taking really good care of us without being intrusive. John also recommended an excellent wine (Charrones Meurseult... a nice, dry French white burgundy) that paired well with our dover sole. (One very minor criticism is that that sole was not served tableside but that may be because we split the entree... in fact all courses which they split in the kitchen - a much appreciated extra effort). One minor recommendation: a little jazz music in the background. Great job!Special Features:
- TremendousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014Although we have only dined there twice, it has become a must stop each time my wife and I are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014The service was excellent. The cocktails delicious. The grilled romaine salad was terrific! The crab and lobster cakes were wonderful. We sipped wine and took our time enjoying the surroundings and excellent food!!Special Features:
- Really enjoyedGoodDined on 9/20/2014Harry the manager was outstanding! Very nice man! I will come back next time I have an event, and will recommend friends to visit!Special Features: