The Chop House - Ann Arbor
322 S. Main
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Chop House - Ann Arbor
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thechophouserestaurant.com/
- Phone: (734) 669-8826
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: View our on line private party brochure at www.thechophouserestaurant.com/media/ChopAABanquetPackageWeb.pdf
- Private Party Contact: Sue Burke 888-456-3463
A word from The Chop House - Ann Arbor
Prepare to be pampered at The Chop House! Savor exceptional cuts of USDA Prime beef that are the perfect combination of flavor and tenderness. Delight in the finest and freshest top-catch fish and premium seafood. Experience our extraordinary service and our extensive premium wine selection. After dinner pleasures include the cigar lounge, or gourmet desserts at La Dolce Vita, prepared fresh daily. Indulge in the ambrosial delights of La Dolce Vita: gourmet desserts and premium liquors. For the cigar aficionado, enjoy our hand-rolled cigars from our humidor’s extensive collection. Treat yourself to the finer pleasures with consummately satisfying dining at The Chop House. For more information, visit us at www.TheChopHouseAnnArbor.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Chop House - Ann Arbor - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
The Chop House - Ann Arbor reviews from OpenTable diners
186 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (154)romantic (103)fit for foodies (90)notable wine list (76)neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (19)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great service and AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/17/2014Chop House did it again as it can only do! Give A1 service and Great food! This is not the first Chop House we have eaten at but we noticed that the all pay attention to great dinning...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TonyDined on 11/14/2014A fantastic place for a special occasion. I wanted to treat two friends to a great dining experience, and this classy spot fit the bill. The steaks were PERFECT; my filet mignon was as good as the ones I've ordered at restaurants in Manhattan and Chicago. Thankfully, a very good Carmenere was on the wine list to make a great meal even more enjoyable. The server was attentive, friendly--and had the foresight to reserve a table for us at the cigar room. The only downside; the cigars had gone a tad dry, but excellent selection of cognac was great compensation. If you want a fabulous dining experience, this place should be on your list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst steak I have had in a long long timeL9652Dined on 11/13/2014Do not order the Ribeye. My favorite cut usually because of the marbled look and delicious taste. The Ribeye I was served at the Chop House on Thursday night was awful. Huge chunks of fat and muscle. It was awful and should not be serves, especially In a steak house. We were seated in the front of the dining room next to a very large group and it was very difficult to hear at our table. Food Server was very good and knowledgable, friendly.
- Disappointingsaxd40Dined on 11/12/2014We've been there numerous times and it has always been exceptional but this time was a big disappointment. The service was very slow. In past visits we were always seated at a booth. This time we were seated at a table which was so close to the table next to it that it felt like we were sharing our meal with the group sitting next to us. For the amount the dinner costs, I shouldn't be sitting on a stranger's lap. The food was excellent as always but it was ruined by the service and seating.
- Dissapointing Visitlivewire275Dined on 11/8/2014I had been to the Chop House several times while in Ann Arbor for business and LOVED it. Finally had a chance to bring my wife for a birthday treat, and it fell flat. Her Filet was tough and somehow dry even though it was pink on the inside. My N.Y. Strip was not as good as I have had on previous visits. The waiter poured water into my wife's Gin and Tonic instead of her water glass. We laughed it off, but it was not a good experience. I will give it another try because of my outstanding previous visits, but this was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely awesomeEggbeaterDined on 11/8/2014Lobster bisque was excellent. The steak and snapper were excellent. Steak melted in my mouth. Would recommend sharing as we saw people do. Portions are big. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the BestSeniorVIPDined on 11/7/2014Ann Arbor boasts alot of very good restaurants and the Chop House is one of the best. It ranks, in my opinion, with other steak houses in NYC and Chicago. Food and Service are seamless and excellent. Noise level allows for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!KkenaiDined on 11/7/2014While visiting Ann Arbor, we were looking for dessert (after a unexceptional dinner elsewhere) and decided to check out this restaurant. Our waitress was very personable and the dessert fabulous. We were so pleased that we decided to go back the next night for dinner. The food and service was above par. It was an expensive dinner as everything is ala carte but so delish! We had the house salad, steak au poive and decided to split the au gratin potatoes. This was smart as the potatoes are more than enough for two and the serving size of steak was generous. Skipped dessert as we were stuffed. The food, service and atmosphere made the price well worth it!Special Features:
- Birthday Treat, Year-long DelightbellsDined on 11/5/2014My boyfriend took me here for a romantic birthday dinner (on a Wednesday night). The Chop house hit it out of the park. We were immensely impressed by everything that was served. We already have plans to go back when it isn't a 50% off deal. It's just that good. I wish I had gotten a birthday dessert. Maybe next year.Special Features:
- Shareing saladseateneverywhereDined on 11/3/2014The chef split the order without urging, great service, the grilled romaine lettuce, while trendy, missed the mark. The roasted beet salad was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Filet to die for!centuryoakfarmDined on 11/3/2014It was my birthday dinner and the filet was wonderful. Also had Potatoes au gratin and asparagus. The caesar salad was okay but not great. Creme brulee was also very good. Definitely would recommend and return to this great steak house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Chop House was simply excellent. We had perfect service and our food was great. Only complaint was sitting underneath an air vent which made us cold, but the server made sure it was turned down.Special Features:
- Restaurant goes above and beyondOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/30/2014My husband and I recently dined at the Chop House for his birthday. I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough for food and service. It is a little on the noisy side, but that goes with the territory for a popular, busy place. The staff mixed up with the birthday cake we had brought in and accidentally gave a few slices to another party and later realized their error. The manager apologized profusely and insisted on not billing us for the entire meal! We didn't think their mistake was all that serious but were very appreciative nonetheless. The food was delicious. I tend toward eating "healthy" foods and they were able to cater - e.g. with a salad of quinoa and kale. Overall, top-notch and we'll be returning for sure.Special Features:
- Not a $48 steakMeggieDined on 10/28/2014We enjoy the Chop House atmosphere, but this time around the food and the service were not up to snuff. A hint to our waiter that my steak was not as good as expected should have resulted in a change or compensation. My Cowboy syeak was tough and tastless for $48. But we will return because the decor and buzz is what we like for people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- server the worst we've had hereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/28/2014we were out for my husband's birthday; once the waitress realized we were there for a birthday, she basically rushed us through our meal. we didn't want any alcoholic beverage (since i'm pregnant) and she seemed annoyed when we said we just wanted water. she gave us a bread basket that had stale, scrappy looking bread, she dropped things on the table without any sense of delicacy; nearly tipped my water glass over at one point. it was definitely one of the worst times we have had there. i think she thought we didn't have money or something, or that we only go there for birthdays (for a free meal) and didn't care too much about the way she provided service. she was nice, but just had little desire to make the experience as good as it usually is. the food was good as always, but the experience made everything worse.
- Never DisappointedLRGuilfordDined on 10/24/2014Once again, we celebrated a birthday and it was a special time, terrific food, wonderful service and another extraordinary dining experience!! We have never had a bad meal there and the servers are always very attentive!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014Mediocre, overpriced steaks. Great service. We ordered the Wagyu steak for $79. It was not a good steak. I can't begin to tell you how disappointing this steak was. I usually love Wagyu, but this was so bad, I ate less than half and felt very ripped off.Special Features:
- Pricey but worth itMama1022Dined on 10/22/2014My husband and I went here on my birthday. Husband has Grilled Romaine salad (12.00), Baked Potato (8.00), and Crab cakes (33.00). I had the 8 oz filet (42.00) and broccoli (10.00). We each had a drink, wine (15.00 - not quite a double pour) and Woodford Reserve (10.50). We shared the to-die-for Candy bar Pie (8.00). Everything was delicious and service from Lisa W was outstanding. Meal before birthday discount was $140 before tax/tip. Birthday discount took $56+ off. I would definitely go back but our budget limits this to birthday dinners only.Special Features:
- cigar barbest4filletDined on 10/20/2014We were very disappointed that the cigar bar was closed the night we went. That's something we both really look forward to when we visit The Chop House.Special Features:
- ExcellentRandallDined on 10/18/2014Chop House is an all around excellent place for a special occasion dinner. Great steaks, great ambiance. Staff are warm and friendly. The artwork adds a lot of charm.Special Features:
- The chop house- Ann ArborFoodieDined on 10/13/2014Celebrating my birthday. Ordered calamari for an appetizer, it was delicious. We ordered chicken, steak, and tuna and all were very good. Would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday giftBullwinkleDined on 10/12/2014This was the 2nd time we have gone for a special occassion 1st time for our anniversary and 2nd time for my 53rd birthday and both times the food was awesome and the atmosphere was just as nice. Our server was very friendly and energetic and very professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencekristenVIPDined on 10/11/2014Had dinner after the PSU vs Michigan game, and we were very pleased with the service and meal. Our server was very attentive and you could tell that the chefs really cared about the presentation of each plate. Appetizers: wedge salad w/sherry vinaigrette (this salad is huge) and crab/lobster crab cakes were both very good. I had the filet au poivre and my husband had the ny strip and both steaks were very tender, juicy, and cooked to the perfect temps. The sauce for the filet was delicious as well. We love sides with the meal, and found the garlic smashed potatoes and the creamed corn to be very good. Desserts here are truly gourmet, and were very good. Definitely recommend trying more than one. Will come back the next time we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third year in a rowRonnieDined on 10/10/2014My wife come to one Michigan football game a year. This is the third year in a row we have gone to Ann Arbor Chop House the night before the game. And we will definitely go back again next year. The food is amazing - soup, salad, steak, sides - all perfectly done.Special Features:
- steakloverDined on 10/9/2014We celebrated my husband's birthday. Our steaks were wonderful. Overall we had a great time. Very recommendable for special celebrations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food, exceptional serviceAAMikeDined on 10/8/2014I've been frequenting the Chop House for past year or so since I moved to Ann Arbor. Excellent with small groups for business and special occasions with my spouse. Everyone I have brought here has been impressed with the quality of the food. Also, the service has improved substantially and with a bit of drama/flare as well ... I know this has impressed my business guests leaving a lasting impression with them of a memorable dining occasion.Special Features:
- Meal ended in sour note.FoodieDined on 10/7/2014We were celebrating our twin kids' 15th birthday and were pleasantly surprised when the server said we were entitled to a 50% discount on the entire bill. After the meal (and after serving dessert in a try with a candle), server asked us for proof of birthday. We had none on us - do you carry your kids' BCs?! The manager then intervened and said he would not honor discount unless we showed proof. When my kids offered to show their Facebook page and I offered that he could keep my drivers license until I emailed proof, he declined both offers. Ultimately I had to leave, go to my car and bring back my kids' drivers permit. NOT GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE! Not going back. If manager cannot trust a patron spending $200 on dinner....Special Features:
- Great Evening!cooldinerDined on 10/7/2014Our waiter made our special occasion even more special. His knowledge of the wine list was superb. After our delicious meal (the steak was done PERFECTLY medium), we had a cigar downstairs; relaxing and enjoying the ambiance. My husband said it was one the best birthday celebrations he's had. Thank you Chop House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceBrianVIPDined on 10/4/2014Wonderful food and service to celebrate my wife and sons birthdays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!MarygraceVIPDined on 10/3/2014The flavorful steaks virtually melt in your mouth. The staff was courteous, attentive and knowledgeable. Consistently a great place for a fabulous meal and in this case perfect venue for my mother's 70th birthday gathering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerKtina86Dined on 9/29/2014Came for my birthday dinner on Monday. Had wonderful service. The bartender was very sweet and entertaining (the young blonde one who was an intern first). Food was delicious. Third year in a row celebrating my birthday at Chop House!Special Features:
- Always a pleasureJamieVIPDined on 9/27/2014This was another great time at Chop house. Steaks were cooked perfectly. Fish was tender and moist. Service excellent. My only complaint was the wine we ordered was not available, and the next closest item was 33% more expensive (54 vs 72). Should have been some accommodation.Special Features:
- winealittleDined on 9/27/2014We think it's Ann Arbor's best restaurant, among many great restaurants. We try to eat here every time we visit Ann Arbor. The wine selection is fabulous and the meals are superb. It's well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousKim9840Dined on 9/27/2014This is my second time and I enjoyed every bit of it. Their steaks are wonderful, and the au graten potatoes:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chophouse, MyhouseOpenTableFTWDined on 9/25/2014Loved the ambiance, and the food is impeccable. Very respectful of reservation times and your food comes out pretty quick!Special Features:
- BEST BARTENDERS IN THE WORLDEventsonthegoVIPDined on 9/25/2014Love love love the bar at the Chop House. The bartenders are truly the best in the business AND they KNOW their business. Dover Sole was amazing and enough for lunch the next day with a little cream corn (fabulous) and the potato cheese dish (sinful).Special Features:
- chop houseClevelandgirlVIPDined on 9/25/2014This place is great for the Ann Arbor area, but it is hardly a top notch steak place. Service and ambiance are nice. Food is pretty good. Prices are fairly high for the quality of food.Special Features:
- Good Night outHARB11Dined on 9/25/2014The only downside to the evening was taht we were seated right near the door to the kitchen so there was generally a large crowd of servers near the doors with plates coming in and out. Anytime the door opened I was looking straight into the kitchen where the servers were getting their plates.Special Features:
- Great experience with surprisesurprise1Dined on 9/22/2014Excellent food, the service was exceptionally smooth - and a surprise at the check out with heavy discount on the bill due to birthday celebration. Thank you for an overall great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- michiganDined on 9/19/2014one of our favorite restaurants in ann arbor. the food and service are excellent. Id recommend the chophouse to allSpecial Features: