The Chop House - Ann Arbor
322 S. Main
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Chop House - Ann Arbor
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thechophouserestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7346698826
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: View our on line private party brochure at www.thechophouserestaurant.com/media/ChopAABanquetPackageWeb.pdf
- Private Party Contact: Sue Burke 888-456-3463
A word from The Chop House - Ann Arbor
Prepare to be pampered at The Chop House! Savor exceptional cuts of USDA Prime beef that are the perfect combination of flavor and tenderness. Delight in the finest and freshest top-catch fish and premium seafood. Experience our extraordinary service and our extensive premium wine selection. After dinner pleasures include the cigar lounge, or gourmet desserts at La Dolce Vita, prepared fresh daily. Indulge in the ambrosial delights of La Dolce Vita: gourmet desserts and premium liquors. For the cigar aficionado, enjoy our hand-rolled cigars from our humidor’s extensive collection. Treat yourself to the finer pleasures with consummately satisfying dining at The Chop House. For more information, visit us at www.TheChopHouseAnnArbor.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Chop House - Ann Arbor - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
The Chop House - Ann Arbor reviews from OpenTable diners
187 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (157)romantic (108)fit for foodies (82)notable wine list (76)neighborhood gem (37)good for groups (19)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (10)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Not a $48 steakMeggieDined on 10/28/2014We enjoy the Chop House atmosphere, but this time around the food and the service were not up to snuff. A hint to our waiter that my steak was not as good as expected should have resulted in a change or compensation. My Cowboy syeak was tough and tastless for $48. But we will return because the decor and buzz is what we like for people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedLRGuilfordDined on 10/24/2014Once again, we celebrated a birthday and it was a special time, terrific food, wonderful service and another extraordinary dining experience!! We have never had a bad meal there and the servers are always very attentive!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014Mediocre, overpriced steaks. Great service. We ordered the Wagyu steak for $79. It was not a good steak. I can't begin to tell you how disappointing this steak was. I usually love Wagyu, but this was so bad, I ate less than half and felt very ripped off.Special Features:
- Pricey but worth itMama1022Dined on 10/22/2014My husband and I went here on my birthday. Husband has Grilled Romaine salad (12.00), Baked Potato (8.00), and Crab cakes (33.00). I had the 8 oz filet (42.00) and broccoli (10.00). We each had a drink, wine (15.00 - not quite a double pour) and Woodford Reserve (10.50). We shared the to-die-for Candy bar Pie (8.00). Everything was delicious and service from Lisa W was outstanding. Meal before birthday discount was $140 before tax/tip. Birthday discount took $56+ off. I would definitely go back but our budget limits this to birthday dinners only.Special Features:
- cigar barbest4filletDined on 10/20/2014We were very disappointed that the cigar bar was closed the night we went. That's something we both really look forward to when we visit The Chop House.Special Features:
- ExcellentRandallDined on 10/18/2014Chop House is an all around excellent place for a special occasion dinner. Great steaks, great ambiance. Staff are warm and friendly. The artwork adds a lot of charm.Special Features:
- The chop house- Ann ArborFoodieDined on 10/13/2014Celebrating my birthday. Ordered calamari for an appetizer, it was delicious. We ordered chicken, steak, and tuna and all were very good. Would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday giftBullwinkleDined on 10/12/2014This was the 2nd time we have gone for a special occassion 1st time for our anniversary and 2nd time for my 53rd birthday and both times the food was awesome and the atmosphere was just as nice. Our server was very friendly and energetic and very professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencekristenVIPDined on 10/11/2014Had dinner after the PSU vs Michigan game, and we were very pleased with the service and meal. Our server was very attentive and you could tell that the chefs really cared about the presentation of each plate. Appetizers: wedge salad w/sherry vinaigrette (this salad is huge) and crab/lobster crab cakes were both very good. I had the filet au poivre and my husband had the ny strip and both steaks were very tender, juicy, and cooked to the perfect temps. The sauce for the filet was delicious as well. We love sides with the meal, and found the garlic smashed potatoes and the creamed corn to be very good. Desserts here are truly gourmet, and were very good. Definitely recommend trying more than one. Will come back the next time we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third year in a rowRonnieDined on 10/10/2014My wife come to one Michigan football game a year. This is the third year in a row we have gone to Ann Arbor Chop House the night before the game. And we will definitely go back again next year. The food is amazing - soup, salad, steak, sides - all perfectly done.Special Features:
- steakloverDined on 10/9/2014We celebrated my husband's birthday. Our steaks were wonderful. Overall we had a great time. Very recommendable for special celebrations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food, exceptional serviceAAMikeDined on 10/8/2014I've been frequenting the Chop House for past year or so since I moved to Ann Arbor. Excellent with small groups for business and special occasions with my spouse. Everyone I have brought here has been impressed with the quality of the food. Also, the service has improved substantially and with a bit of drama/flare as well ... I know this has impressed my business guests leaving a lasting impression with them of a memorable dining occasion.Special Features:
- Meal ended in sour note.FoodieDined on 10/7/2014We were celebrating our twin kids' 15th birthday and were pleasantly surprised when the server said we were entitled to a 50% discount on the entire bill. After the meal (and after serving dessert in a try with a candle), server asked us for proof of birthday. We had none on us - do you carry your kids' BCs?! The manager then intervened and said he would not honor discount unless we showed proof. When my kids offered to show their Facebook page and I offered that he could keep my drivers license until I emailed proof, he declined both offers. Ultimately I had to leave, go to my car and bring back my kids' drivers permit. NOT GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE! Not going back. If manager cannot trust a patron spending $200 on dinner....Special Features:
- Great Evening!cooldinerDined on 10/7/2014Our waiter made our special occasion even more special. His knowledge of the wine list was superb. After our delicious meal (the steak was done PERFECTLY medium), we had a cigar downstairs; relaxing and enjoying the ambiance. My husband said it was one the best birthday celebrations he's had. Thank you Chop House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceBrianVIPDined on 10/4/2014Wonderful food and service to celebrate my wife and sons birthdays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!MarygraceVIPDined on 10/3/2014The flavorful steaks virtually melt in your mouth. The staff was courteous, attentive and knowledgeable. Consistently a great place for a fabulous meal and in this case perfect venue for my mother's 70th birthday gathering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerKtina86Dined on 9/29/2014Came for my birthday dinner on Monday. Had wonderful service. The bartender was very sweet and entertaining (the young blonde one who was an intern first). Food was delicious. Third year in a row celebrating my birthday at Chop House!Special Features:
- Always a pleasureJamieVIPDined on 9/27/2014This was another great time at Chop house. Steaks were cooked perfectly. Fish was tender and moist. Service excellent. My only complaint was the wine we ordered was not available, and the next closest item was 33% more expensive (54 vs 72). Should have been some accommodation.Special Features:
- winealittleDined on 9/27/2014We think it's Ann Arbor's best restaurant, among many great restaurants. We try to eat here every time we visit Ann Arbor. The wine selection is fabulous and the meals are superb. It's well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousKim9840Dined on 9/27/2014This is my second time and I enjoyed every bit of it. Their steaks are wonderful, and the au graten potatoes:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chophouse, MyhouseOpenTableFTWDined on 9/25/2014Loved the ambiance, and the food is impeccable. Very respectful of reservation times and your food comes out pretty quick!Special Features:
- BEST BARTENDERS IN THE WORLDEventsonthegoVIPDined on 9/25/2014Love love love the bar at the Chop House. The bartenders are truly the best in the business AND they KNOW their business. Dover Sole was amazing and enough for lunch the next day with a little cream corn (fabulous) and the potato cheese dish (sinful).Special Features:
- chop houseClevelandgirlVIPDined on 9/25/2014This place is great for the Ann Arbor area, but it is hardly a top notch steak place. Service and ambiance are nice. Food is pretty good. Prices are fairly high for the quality of food.Special Features:
- Good Night outHARB11Dined on 9/25/2014The only downside to the evening was taht we were seated right near the door to the kitchen so there was generally a large crowd of servers near the doors with plates coming in and out. Anytime the door opened I was looking straight into the kitchen where the servers were getting their plates.Special Features:
- Great experience with surprisesurprise1Dined on 9/22/2014Excellent food, the service was exceptionally smooth - and a surprise at the check out with heavy discount on the bill due to birthday celebration. Thank you for an overall great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- michiganDined on 9/19/2014one of our favorite restaurants in ann arbor. the food and service are excellent. Id recommend the chophouse to allSpecial Features:
- Amazing service and food!!Jeff17Dined on 9/14/2014Our waiter was great and the staff was super friendly!! Was our 1yr anniversary and the staff made us feel our special night was well spent. Great nite will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goblue1Dined on 9/12/2014Food and service top notch I would say entrees are about $20 over priced considering all sides are priced separateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/11/2014Our best friends traveled from Chicago to celebrate his birthday here in Ann Arbor. We brought them to the Chop House and had a wonderful experience. We started with drinks at the bar, and since it was Happy Hour, they were only $5!!! We had a lovely table with Sheldon as our server. He did an exceptional job and we were all very pleased in all aspects of our dinner.Special Features:
- Beautiful venue overpriced foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/9/2014Disappointing overall. But for lobster bisque go to capital grill.
- Outstanding birthday dinnerCorwinDined on 9/7/2014My wife and I went and had a fantastic time. The food was spectacular, and the service was perfect. Our server was just the right amount of "familiar" and friendly without crossing the line into overbearing.Special Features:
- Saint1943Dined on 9/6/2014The service at the Chop House is excellent. The wait staff is the best we have seenSpecial Features:
- Great restaurant in Ann ArborOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/4/2014Was looking for a special place to dine and the general consensus was that The Chop House was the place to go in Ann Arbor. The menu was pricey (as expected) and we decided to order the flier mignon and the lamb chop. For starters we ordered a house salad and a wedge salad, which were both tasty but the portions were significantly larger than what you get in NYC for example. The main dishes were excellent, particularly the fliet mignon, and the lamb while good, was not outstanding. The wine list was extensive and we chose a good pinot noir. Finally we shared a creme brulee for dessert. Overall it was an unexpectedly good meal.Special Features:
- Impressed me once againHopeDined on 9/4/2014From the reservation to the check, I was impressed. The level of service is outstanding, food top notch, and atmosphere old world charm. We have eaten here numerous times, and they have managed to maintain their standards at a very high level. Crab cakes were a big hit at our table, followed by the ceasar salads. Entrees consisted of venison, lamb, and an assortment of beef cuts, all were received with great reviews. Make sure you leave room for desert, our spoons and forks were flying around the table with delight. Once again well done.Special Features:
- ClassyFoodcriticDined on 9/3/2014Best service of any restaurant I have ever been too. The food was great and the atmosphere was perfect, I didn't want to leave. I loved the classy-ness of the restaurant and the cleanliness of it. I didn't know that sides were extra with the meal but that was ok. It was the perfect evening with very friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedKaylaDined on 8/31/2014You really can't beat The Chop House on your birthday, the 50% discount for two is awesome. While most of the other Main St restaurants will honor a similar discount, if you are in the mood for steaks there really isn't a better place to be. I was initially worried about the seating, but we ended up getting seated in a booth -which was perfect. It's not nearly as crowded as I was lead to believe. The portions are surprisingly huge, too! Overall A+ work, they made my boyfriends day even more special and that's all I really cared about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Salty Does Not Win The DayPeanutDined on 8/31/2014We had dinner on both Friday 8-29 and Sunday 8-31. As always the service was great, but the meal on Friday was overly salty. We will take that as an exception as we have been to The Chop House many, many, many times and they have always been one of our favorite restaurants providing a first rate meal.Special Features:
- Great for Birthday CelebrationsAADinerDined on 8/26/2014Had an excellent meal to celebrate another birthday. The steak was outstanding. The appetizers and sides also very good. Liked the baked sweet potato with the maple butter especially. Service was very good - wait staff gave us time but was there when we needed them.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014A little noisy but the food was very good. Way too big of portions. Next time would order one salad and entree and share.Special Features:
- Great dinnerJoan17Dined on 8/24/2014Yummy steaks! Fabulous mac and cheese. Great service. Only drawback - too loud!I would recommend this to a friend.