The Chop House - Ann Arbor
322 S. Main
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Chop House - Ann Arbor
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thechophouserestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7346698826
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: View our on line private party brochure at www.thechophouserestaurant.com/media/ChopAABanquetPackageWeb.pdf
- Private Party Contact: Sue Burke 888-456-3463
A word from The Chop House - Ann Arbor
Prepare to be pampered at The Chop House! Savor exceptional cuts of USDA Prime beef that are the perfect combination of flavor and tenderness. Delight in the finest and freshest top-catch fish and premium seafood. Experience our extraordinary service and our extensive premium wine selection. After dinner pleasures include the cigar lounge, or gourmet desserts at La Dolce Vita, prepared fresh daily. Indulge in the ambrosial delights of La Dolce Vita: gourmet desserts and premium liquors. For the cigar aficionado, enjoy our hand-rolled cigars from our humidor’s extensive collection. Treat yourself to the finer pleasures with consummately satisfying dining at The Chop House. For more information, visit us at www.TheChopHouseAnnArbor.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Chop House - Ann Arbor - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
The Chop House - Ann Arbor reviews from OpenTable diners
177 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (155)romantic (106)notable wine list (68)fit for foodies (60)neighborhood gem (25)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (11)good for groups (10)hot spot (9)scenic view (4)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Very pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014You really can't beat The Chop House on your birthday, the 50% discount for two is awesome. While most of the other Main St restaurants will honor a similar discount, if you are in the mood for steaks there really isn't a better place to be. I was initially worried about the seating, but we ended up getting seated in a booth -which was perfect. It's not nearly as crowded as I was lead to believe. The portions are surprisingly huge, too! Overall A+ work, they made my boyfriends day even more special and that's all I really cared about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Salty Does Not Win The DayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014We had dinner on both Friday 8-29 and Sunday 8-31. As always the service was great, but the meal on Friday was overly salty. We will take that as an exception as we have been to The Chop House many, many, many times and they have always been one of our favorite restaurants providing a first rate meal.Special Features:
- Great for Birthday CelebrationsAADinerDined on 8/26/2014Had an excellent meal to celebrate another birthday. The steak was outstanding. The appetizers and sides also very good. Liked the baked sweet potato with the maple butter especially. Service was very good - wait staff gave us time but was there when we needed them.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014A little noisy but the food was very good. Way too big of portions. Next time would order one salad and entree and share.Special Features:
- Great dinnerJoan17Dined on 8/24/2014Yummy steaks! Fabulous mac and cheese. Great service. Only drawback - too loud!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good birthday dinner specialVanh003Dined on 8/23/2014You should definitely go for your birthday because you get the birthday special which is 1/2 your bill (1-2 people). Me and the beau had his birthday dinner here. We first ordered the sea scallops which were probably the best thing about the meal. I got the filet which was a little dry. And the bf got the porterhouse which was a little bit rarer than we asked. We got 2 sides and they were the asparagus an garlic mash potatos which paired great with the meat. We ended the night with the chocolate decadence which was delicious but the gelato that came with it was a bit melted before it came to the table (disappointing). But all in all good meal and good service. I would wait for a bday. Don't think I would pay full price for the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodJGeatoutDined on 8/22/2014It was expensive but portions were large, food was outstanding, and service was excellent. Expect to pay at least $150 for two people. The steak will have us thinking about it for a long time. The grilled asparagus was very good and cooked perfectly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary CelebrationRick690Dined on 8/22/2014We celebrated our 49th anniversary at the Chop House and were happy that we had chosen this restaurant for the occasion. The steak was the best that I have eaten in years and done perfectly. My wife's pork chop (2) were just as good. Portions were large on the sides, one order is plenty for two adults or age. Service was outstanding. Not the cheapest place to go in Ann Arbor but well worth overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seating is a messMark17Dined on 8/19/2014The food is wonderful, which is why we came back. On previous visits, though, we had been seated by the window, which is why this issue went unnoticed. Through the body of the restaurant they have tables for two against the wall separated by roughly 20 inches from tables for four. When we sat down, then, it felt like we had an audience. It was somewhat amusing listening to the first-date conversation of the foursome next to us but for us on a romantic date, we was very disappointed. Especially given the price point of this restaurant, are you telling me they could not at least stagger those tables?? My wife doesn't want to go back, now. I would be sorry to lose this crown jewel of a restaurant from our dining circuit.
- Best in townEjboleVIPDined on 8/17/2014It's been around for a while but it remains my favorite. I love meeting friends after work for drinks and appetizers. The atmosphere is relaxing, wait staff are friendly and helpful. The food is superb, especially steak, sea bass, au potatoes and sweet and spicy calamari.Special Features:
- Mr. Schultzdavids378Dined on 8/16/2014We walk by the Chop House on our way to football games and have always thought that when we have time we would make a trip to Downtown Ann Arbor for dinner. We did just that this summer and was not disappointed with the Chop House.Special Features:
- Best SteakhouseKenPDined on 8/15/2014Have been to many Steakhouse's around the US and for me Ann Arbor Chop House can stand with the best. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChopsThyminatorDined on 8/12/2014The Chop House is an Ann Arbor institution, especially on special occasions. The steaks are second to none. The wedge salad and grilled romaine salad are large enough to be shared, but why? Enjoy every bite. The steaks are cooked as ordered and are flavorful .. No need for extra sauces, etc. The only downside was the night's fish special (halibut) was good, but not great. Side portions are large enough to be shared if ordered, and the s'mores dessert was divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Experience.askimastorDined on 8/9/2014Brought the hubby here for his birthday and had a great time. The Menu is well varied and the tablets are a different touch to normal dining. I was a little disappointed being sat all the way in the back near the kitchen, when i had made a reservation in advance, but it did not ruin the night. I would have liked a little more light, though i was able to see everything clearly. The staff stopped by the table a bit too often. The meals were great, and cannot be beat when coming for a birthday.Special Features:
- Overpriced, underwhelmedAAFoodie1Dined on 8/7/2014I found my recent dinner overpriced and underwhelming. My date's steak was not a premium cut and had clearly been allowed to rest for too long -- it was not cooked beyond the rare temp that was ordered and it was somewhat cold. Likewise, my ahi tuna was a mediocre cut of fish. On the plus side, everything was well-seasoned and very tasty. The food was good but not worth the very high price. Also, the tables are closely packed together--it brought the ambience down a bit. For the price, I think you could get far better food elsewhere in Ann Arbor.Special Features:
- Loved itZekeDined on 8/7/2014Would make my top ten list and that's saying something about a restaurant in Ann Arbor when you're a Buckeye fan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experience!BocafanDined on 8/6/2014Way beyond expectations! Great food, impecable service and awesome atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service - Great SteakGoBlueDined on 8/3/2014Our server was wonderful and very attentive. We loved how all our dishes came to the table at the same time - and were placed in front of us at the same time. It was a very unique experience. We were celebrating my son's beginning of his first year of medical school - following his white coat ceremony. Although we didn't order a special desert - our server brought a plate with "congratulations" written across it in chocolate syrup- with a strawberry and whipped cream. It was a nice touch. We were also notified that our first round of drinks would be on the house - as our steaks were taking to long to come out of the kitchen. We weren't even aware of the time. It was nice to know they were looking out for usSpecial Features:
- A Destination RestaurantA2DinerDined on 7/30/2014The Chop House, and its adjoining bar La Dolce Vita, is probably the best in Ann Arbor, and A2 is filled with great restaurants. A great steakhouse, but excellent fish and fowl fare as well. If you go away hungry, it is your own fault. Service is impeccable. The bartenders make a great drink. Definitely a destination restaurant that all should visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It would have been great...EnVinoVeritasDined on 7/30/2014...Except for the wagu steak. We have come in several times and I order the fillet and my bf orders the wagu. I'm usually jealous. Not this time. Over cooked and over charred. All you could taste was the char. But it's usually delicious. Definite let down. Everything else was pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EventBirthdayDined on 7/27/2014It was a great place to celebrate my birthday and I loved the cigar bar area.Special Features:
- Good food, a bit expensivelowexpectationsDined on 7/17/2014We were in town for the Ann Arbor Street fair and it also happened to be our 10th wedding anniversary we did something out of the ordinary and went out for dinner. The food was good, nothing spectacular. The bread was cold and the butter was even more so, making it very difficult to put butter on the bread except in little clumps. The steaks were cooked as ordered, but somewhat bland in flavor. So overall okay experience, probably won't go back...$140 is too much for food quality lower than other steakhouses with much lower prices. My usual thought is "Go in with low expectations, you are harder to disappoint, and easier to impress" I, unfortunately, did not follow my own advice here and was disappointed.Special Features:
- RomanticJen19Dined on 7/12/2014My significant other and I went here for a nice dining experience and that is what we received. The food was amazing and everyone was pleasant from the server to the hostess to the man who came over to fill the water. It is a bit pricey but they have a great list of wines and even cigars if a person is interested in that. We had an early Saturday reservation, 5:30PM, so it wasn't too busy. The menu is on an iPad, which made it easy to see everything available. We will definitely be returning in the future.Special Features:
- Enjoyable experienceHngry60601Dined on 7/11/2014Everyone's food was delicious and the service was great. Our waitress brought our cocktails and refills very quickly. Great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfulservice, mediocre foodMixedReactionsDined on 7/11/2014One of our party wanted some soda crackers and a waiter went to another restaurant to get some! The service was amazing! The entrees were quite good, but the sides were cold and the Brussels sprouts wre called lightly braised, but hard as rocks would have been a better description. The creme brûlée was to die for! Prices were high, but the servings were very generous. Probably would not go back. We had brought a cake for our daughters birthday which we did not have them cut. It was supposed to go home with us, but they forgot it and we did not remember until we got to the car! Disappointing!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014Great meal, always a special venue for a special occasion .Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceTheCounselorDined on 7/11/2014Beginning with the server and throughout the meal, we had a wonderful experience. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic without going overboard. There is an outstanding menu in addition to the specials. Everything was absolutely delicious, from the appetizers (calamari) to the wedge salad to the steaks and seafood.Special Features:
- Chop HousesvanderwaldeDined on 7/10/2014We go to the Chop House for special occasions and we absolutely love it. The food it always top notch and the service impeccable. We went for our daughters 22nd birthday and the food was excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday dinnercenturyoakfarmDined on 7/9/2014We went to the Chop House for the first time and will definitely go back. Our food was great and our server, Lori, was wonderful. She gave us great recommendations and was very attentive to our needs. One of my pet peeves is having to constantly ask for water. Not at the Chop House, my glass was filled constantly without me asking. Our salad, steaks, sides and dessert were all great and we took half of our food home. Several management people stopped by to check on us and you got the feeling they actually cared that you were being taken care of.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationWhitlisleDined on 7/5/2014My boyfriend and I celebrated his birthday this past Saturday and he loved it! The service was great, he felt special and catered to. Before we even headed downstairs to the cigar lounge the restaurant had already prepared a lounging area of us and the guests that were celebrating with us.Special Features:
- DinnerDEEJDined on 7/5/2014Excellent service and food. Ambience was excellent and overall service was exceptional.Special Features:
- Simply GreatLuv2dineinA2Dined on 7/2/2014My fiancé and I went here for my birthday. They offer that 50% off food deal like most on Main Street. The Chop House is simply great. The food is amazing and our server Andrew really made it an enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for my birthday dinner!AndreaLDined on 6/30/2014The service and recommendations from the waitstaff were wonderful. My husband and I had a very pleasant, very leisurely dinner. We never felt rushed or pressured. I noticed that everything from the drinks to the bread to the entrees seemed to be served at exactly the right temperature - something you might not notice unless it's "not right." I liked the special touches for my birthday, and the fact that my entree was discounted (I only mentioned to make a reservation, not to get a discount) was a nice surprise at the end.Special Features:
- EnjoyedFoodiecoupleDined on 6/27/2014Great service, restaurant week, food awesome although or steak was under cooked, they fixed it and it was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best high-end spot in A2?A2BradDined on 6/27/2014We have visited just once, on occasion of Ann Arbor's Restaurant Week promotion. (Participating restaurants offer discounted items during this event; the Chop House offered two prix fixe options - a steak and a fish.) At $28 for a salad, entree and dessert this was an EXCEPTIONAL value! Food quality was superb. Tenderloin medallions with a dijon/tarragon sauce to die for. Service was very attentive and gracious. I am pleased when I thank a server and they reply "It's a pleasure" or "you're very welcome" rather than the casual "no problem" that seems to have taken over most customer service encounters. Only concern is the standard prices. We eat out frequently; but without the promotion this can only be a once a year treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodBrunchfanVIPDined on 6/27/2014We brought family from out of town here for restaurant week. The food was very good, not quite as good as their usual standards, but still very good. Service was also very good, our waiter was very personable and efficient.Special Features:
- Delish!HungryCoupleDined on 6/26/2014Date night was great here and we both thoroughly enjoyed our meals. My husband is a purist and just wanted a T bone steak rare, and that's exactly what they delivered. I don't eat red meat and so I ordered the tuna steak rare and it was delicious! We ordered the brussel sprouts and spoon bread as our sides and they were both AWESOME. Definitely expensive, but worth the splurge for an occasional date night or special occasion. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- troy8284Dined on 6/26/2014Outstanding experience...great way to celebrate our anniversary!Special Features:
- Great Resturnt Week ExperienceA2criticDined on 6/26/2014We could not have asked for better service. The food was great. Medallions of beef were done to perfection.Special Features:
- The Chop HouseWeeGeeDined on 6/26/2014Hadn't been back there in quite a while. It's since been remodeled and they did a great job. Food and service were excellent. Hopefully won't take so long to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.