The Chocolate Bar
Cleveland, OH 44114Neighborhood:
Downtown Cleveland / E. 4th Street
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Chocolate Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://originalchocolatebar.com/cleveland/newintro.html
- Phone: 2166222626x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 12:00am, Friday- Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00am, Sunday - 3:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, American
- Executive Chef: Chef C. Wyatt Grace
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Book your party here at the Chocolate Bar.
Call the restaurant directly for banquet menu and details.
- Special Events: Manicure Monday's
Every second Monday of the Month.
A word from The Chocolate Bar
Where Everything Is Better With Chocolate!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Chocolate Bar - Best Restaurants in Downtown Cleveland / E. 4th Street ›
The Chocolate Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (21)hot spot (15)good for groups (13)fit for foodies (13)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (9)great for lunch (9)neighborhood gem (9)romantic (9)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- A Martini MustOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014The food is good but what's really great is the martini list. Many, many delicious flavors. Not all chocolate ones either if for some reason you didn't like chocolate. Great place to eat if headed to a show or the casino later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ladies night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I don't think the waitress wanted to work that day, as she was not helpful, friendly, nor did she let us know of the specials. I heard her tell the table next to us of the specials, but she must not of liked us.Special Features:
- SubparCourtDined on 10/4/2014While the food and desserts are made well, and taste delicious, the overall service is pretty low. This was my 3rd time at the restaurant, my prior 2 visits had mediocre waiters and waitresses. I decided to give it another try as the food is good, and this time we had reservations. It was a very chilly night and we were placed right next to the door, and had to dine the rest of the night with our coats on. The table next to us even asked to move. The waitress was very friendly, however I had to ask 3-4 seperate times for a side of Italian dressing. The first time she brought me mayo, then forgot twice, and finally brought the original order. However I was charged for the mayo and the extra dressing. Refills on sodas took awhile as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, excellent service.jdeng8VIPDined on 10/1/2014We go here often for lunch. We each had salads and both were delicious. Our server, Cici? was the best server we have ever had there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!adb15Dined on 9/27/2014great menu and martini choices Foods selected were large in portions. Had no room for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinkskvirtueDined on 9/27/2014Loved the chocolate salted caramel martini. Service was great. Sweet potato fries with dipping sauces were good as well. Great spot to eat before a game.Special Features:
- Strong drinksfunsizeDined on 9/15/2014Large food and drink selection. Martinis were STRONG almost overpowering the chocolateSpecial Features:
- If not for the service....FoodwinejunkieDined on 9/14/2014Stopped in after Browns game. Had reservations and arrived early. We were seated right away. Place wasn't that crowded and initial contact with server was atleast 5 minutes. Almost got up and left. Ordered martinis which were good but not great. Ordered hot spinach salad to split with my wife and server came back said were out of spinach due to a weekend convention??? Everything we ordered took forever. We got out of the place in almost 2 hours. Lucky we didn't have anywhere to be!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedclassydiner3Dined on 9/13/2014I was very much looking forward to finally attending Chocolate Bar for dinner, but left the restaurant with much to be desired. It took over twenty minutes for our drinks to arrive at our table and an hour and fifteen minutes for our food to arrive. We ordered Cuban sandwiches, which were mediocre, and delivered with the incorrect sauce on the sandwich. When I requested extra sauce, a completely different sauce was brought to the table. The waitress was barely seen the entire evening and when she did stop by the table, there was no compassion for the fact that both our food and drinks took a ridiculous amount of time. I will not be returning to the Chocolate Bar in the future.
- Chocolate lovers dream!BigspenderDined on 9/13/2014If you like chocolate, look no further! Really good martinis and a great dessert menu. Several food items also incorporate chocolate is some way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service not friendly.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Host was incredibly rude. My girlfriend got there before I did and was told she could wait at the bar and order a drink there. so when she walked past the host station another host said "I guess you did not see this big line behind you!" Our server was just okay but not the friendliest. Food was just okay. I don't think I would ever recommend that restaurant for the food. The many different martinis were wonderful though. All in all it was a good experience I would say. A fun place to have drinks with friends. Another review we had read prior to coming there said not to expect good service on the weekend so we went there with our hopes not being very high in the first place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chocolate Barschaefer83VIPDined on 9/6/2014Awesome, awesome chocolate desserts! The best!!! Service was outstanding!Special Features:
- Food took too longOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/6/2014The service was extremely slow. We received the wrong food and was told it was take a long time to get the right item. Our server credited it, but you never tell a customer they can't get want they ordered. The slow service was blamed on a large party in the back room
- Great food, not good service...Allie4320Dined on 9/6/2014My husband and I made our reservation, and went to the Chocolate Bar for our wedding anniversary. We were seated immediately with our reservation, which was great, but then we placed our drink order and an appetizer. 10 min. later we had our drinks, but the appetizer never came. But 40 minutes later we got our meals, and the food was great. But our waiter never refilled our drinks, my husband had to ask for another beer three times before it came, and when we got our meals, we asked why we never got our appetizer, he said he forgot to put the order in. So our waiter,was nice, but not a good waiter and we were very disappointed with our service.Special Features:
- good review for Chocolate BarEast08lakeDined on 9/1/2014Really enjoyed the experience. The dishes were spicy and the service was excellent. I enjoyed the many chocolate selections. I will be going back. Drinks were delicious. Many non-alcoholic selections.Special Features:
- Great place to eat and enjoy life.CelebCoupleDined on 9/1/2014My girlfriend and I were peleased with the food quality and food service delivered. This is my thurs visit and it is always nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chocolate AwesomenessKatieMae737Dined on 8/27/2014Great selection of food with wonderful service. A dish was not quite right and they were excellent about getting a replacement out quickly and correct. Drinks were also tasty - had 2 versions of chocolate martinis and YUM. Although a tiny bit pricey for the average Joe, I like this place on occasion - all around worth it!Special Features:
- MrWonderfulVIPDined on 8/23/2014A fine dining establishment to go to before games and other downtown eventsSpecial Features:
- It seems to be in declineOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/18/2014I expected this place to be hopping based in the fact that we were squeezed into a little table against the wall in a window box. I suppose this was to make the place look full to passersby. They remained pretty empty all evening and once I looked at the the very dirty and sticky menu I could see why. After I was able to get the menu open I was not very impressed with the offerings. I chose the pesto salmon which was good but not great. The milkshake that I finished the evening with was delicious! This was not my first time dining here so I was kind of shocked by what seemed like a complete disregard to the details. Clean your menus, the silverware and most definitely the water glasses that you leave on the table.
- very fun place to eatMikeBDined on 8/16/2014Everything from appetizers to dessert was excellent. service was great and very unique chocolaty drink options. Great dining option for the east 4th area of Cleveland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vonfieldDined on 8/16/2014We often go to The Chocolate Bar before a game or the theatre. The food is always good and it is a very convenient location.Special Features:
- DisappointedAmherstACDined on 8/14/2014My girlfriend and I decided to spend our 2 1/2 anniversary at The Chocolate Bar. As we were seated, the feeling in the room was very rushed. Our waitress did a deceng job throughout the evening but it was almost obvious that we were the last table of her shift, and she wanted to leave ASAP. Regarding our food, we were both disappointed. I had looked at the menu online that day and was interested in the Steak & Egg Wrap, only to discover it wasn't available. I then ordered the Buffalo Chicken sandwich that turned out quite good. As for my girlfriends food, she ordered the Mac n cheese with steak. This was terrible (may have been the worst Mac n cheese we've had). There was no seasoning at all, and it tasted like burnt cheese and water.Special Features:
- Great lunch spotjdeng8VIPDined on 8/12/2014We each had salads - the Mediterranean and the Berry Good. Both were excellent. We were in and out on our lunch hour with good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodschnappsDined on 7/30/2014i used to love this restaurant. their food has gone down hill. i ordered the club paninni and it wasn't even grilled enough and the turkey was cold inside.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and Martinis!CLEwineanddineDined on 7/26/2014A few friends and I came here for dinner and drinks to start off my bachelorette party. They have a fabulous selection of specialty martinis (we loved every one that we tried!) and their food was excellent as well. My only complaint was the service. It was very busy (a Saturday night, very happy I made a reservation or the wait would have been an hour) and the waitress took a long time to come back to us each time. She asked us if we were ready for our check and it took at least 20 minutes after that before she came back with it. Other than that, our experience was fantastic and we will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love itlinaressanDined on 7/18/2014This is my third time eating at Chocolate Bar. I enjoy the environment and the food. I classic and romantic. Especially strawberry dip in Chocolate. ExcellentSpecial Features:
- LisaDined on 7/18/2014Have been here several times before and it was good - hopefully this was just a bad night. Went before a concert so we were on a time schedule. Ordered first drink and waited 25 minutes for it to be delivered. Waited 35 minutes for food after ordering. (A chicken caesar wrap and a salad). Ordered 2nd drink and once again waited over 20 minutes. Server never explained or apologized the reason for the long delays. Server was not nice at all - must have been having a bad day. We will not return for dinner - plenty of other places on E 4th to eat.
- Fabulous FoodLLRBDined on 7/13/2014Once again the Chocolate Bar does not disappoint with quality and flavor of food. This is however the second time our service has been sub par. The waiter forgot items, had to come back to confirm specifics of order, did not check on beverages throughout our meal, and when asked for the check - took ten minutes to deliver. Love the food but service seems hit or miss. Recommendation is to go when you have plenty of time in case wait staff is sloe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An enjoyable eveningEBethJDDined on 7/12/2014We have been to the Chocolate Bar twice - once with a friend for drinks and once with our son for dinner. The food is quite good, but the drinks are even better. While the ambience is generally more grown up, we felt totally comfortable with our tween son, who enjoyed the cheesecake immensely. The service was also a high point of our last visit. Our waitress was very personable and added to our enjoyment of the evening.Special Features:
- Excellent visitChadDined on 6/28/2014Our reservations were ready as soon as we got there. Was sat at a nice table for two by the front window which was perfect because the wife and I both love to people watch. And people watching was good Saturday night before the Bruno concert. Martini's were a bit too sweet for me but the food was very good. It was a very pleasant dinner with great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great martinis, sub par foodCheekymonkeeeyDined on 6/27/2014Artichoke dip and drinks all around were very good. Entree menu choices were safe. Nothing great. My Southwest Chicken salad had no flavor. Multiple pieces of silverware were dirty. Waitress wasn't paying attention and almost hit my friend in the face with a to-go box. My group of four plan to go back sometime. Just for apps and drinks though. The food left a lot to be desired. No one had dessert this time because of sweet drinks but they looked amazing at other tablesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014we've dined here before and had better experiences. it wasn't bad this time but there was nothing that stood out. just average all the way around. service was not overly attentive and the food was nothing special. they "ran out" of prime rib by 7:30 on a friday night? drinks were the highlight i suppose and my wife enjoyed her fancy sweet martinis. would stop back for those but perhaps have dinner up the street somewhere else next time we're downtown. when you only get out once in a while you like it to be memorable. the server didn't ask but we were celebrating our anniversary.
- The following 202 reviews are from the The Chocolate Bar reviews archive.
- Fun night out with the girlsJennJ323Dined on 6/9/2014We went to Chocolate Bar specifically for their Martinis & Manicures promotion. If you purchase a martini ($10) you get a free manicure.. the manicures are done by students going to make up/hair school, so it wasn't the best quality, but we had a good time & enjoyed it. The drinks were a little pricey, but they were good. We shared a couple appetizers that were all good portions & tasted good! Our server was nice & attentive. Overall we had a very good experience.Special Features:
- Fun PlaceHappyDined on 6/7/2014We went there to celebrate my son's 21st birthday with a martini and dessert. The desserts were very good and the martinis were excellent. It was fun to be there. Service was excellent! It is one of my favorite places to go when we need to celebrate a special occasion with our family. My young adult children really enjoy going to the Chocolate bar too! There were a lot of Bachelorette parties going on. It was fun to see the all of the brides having fun!Special Features:
- not as expectedamandaveDined on 6/4/2014Similar to the cheesecake factory but not as nice. Menus dirty service terrible. We went for our anniversary expected romantic, instead we were out at a 2 top high top table. Only booth in the whole restaurant seated 8 or 10 people. When we were done with dinner the waiter just brought the check even though we commented we were having dessert. It was very disappointing.
- Great timeKnightriderDined on 5/31/2014We had an excellent experience. Our waiter was awesome. He made some excellent suggestions that were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- girls nightDMY425Dined on 5/29/2014Great for a night downtown! Our martini's were by far the best. Our server was very helpful when it came to recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!bhovanecDined on 5/24/2014This was an awesome restaurant. Our waitress (Natalie) was so friendly and knowledgeable. I highly recommend going.Special Features:
- Pros and conssaz500Dined on 5/23/2014Anything called the chocolate bar MUST be good, right? I have to admit I've had better chocolate martinis in other places; these seem a little weak (Flemings Steakhouse does one of the best I've had) but for this visit I was driving so no martinis for me - I did have a chocolate notini which was like sweet chocolate milk (and possibly the base for the martinis - insipid!) My daughter loves this place! We like the chocolate baguette which is delish. I wish they'd drop the oil in the dip because it does NOT mix with chocolate, so you just get oil on your baguette or chips and no chocolate! The main courses were very nice this time but can be hit or miss. The desserts are just scrumptious and it was hard to decide. Our server was delightful.Special Features:
- Nice place but the food isnt freshOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/23/2014My husband got the buffalo chicken sandwich and the chicken on the sandwich was two chicken tenders (one per half of the sandwich). I got the Bella sandwich and I had a similar issue. There was only mushroom on half of the sandwich. Their desserts sound amazing on paper but what we ordered was lack luster. The Oreo mud was a small slice of pre bought Oreo cake and a old strawberry on the side. My husband got a brownie crepe again, it sounded better on paper than it was on the plate. The server was nice and the restaurant is in a great location but the quality was sub par.Special Features: