The Chocolate Bar
Cleveland, OH 44114Neighborhood:
Downtown Cleveland / E. 4th Street
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Chocolate Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://originalchocolatebar.com/cleveland/newintro.html
- Phone: 2166222626x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 12:00am, Friday- Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00am, Sunday - 3:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, American
- Executive Chef: Chef C. Wyatt Grace
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Book your party here at the Chocolate Bar.
Call the restaurant directly for banquet menu and details.
- Special Events: Manicure Monday's
Every second Monday of the Month.
A word from The Chocolate Bar
Where Everything Is Better With Chocolate!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Chocolate Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (23)good for groups (21)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (16)fit for foodies (12)neighborhood gem (12)romantic (12)great for lunch (11)great for outdoor dining (7)great for brunch (5)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Chocolate AwesomenessKatieMae737Dined on 8/27/2014Great selection of food with wonderful service. A dish was not quite right and they were excellent about getting a replacement out quickly and correct. Drinks were also tasty - had 2 versions of chocolate martinis and YUM. Although a tiny bit pricey for the average Joe, I like this place on occasion - all around worth it!Special Features:
- MrWonderfulVIPDined on 8/23/2014A fine dining establishment to go to before games and other downtown eventsSpecial Features:
- It seems to be in declineOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/18/2014I expected this place to be hopping based in the fact that we were squeezed into a little table against the wall in a window box. I suppose this was to make the place look full to passersby. They remained pretty empty all evening and once I looked at the the very dirty and sticky menu I could see why. After I was able to get the menu open I was not very impressed with the offerings. I chose the pesto salmon which was good but not great. The milkshake that I finished the evening with was delicious! This was not my first time dining here so I was kind of shocked by what seemed like a complete disregard to the details. Clean your menus, the silverware and most definitely the water glasses that you leave on the table.
- very fun place to eatMikeBDined on 8/16/2014Everything from appetizers to dessert was excellent. service was great and very unique chocolaty drink options. Great dining option for the east 4th area of Cleveland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vonfieldDined on 8/16/2014We often go to The Chocolate Bar before a game or the theatre. The food is always good and it is a very convenient location.Special Features:
- DisappointedAmherstACDined on 8/14/2014My girlfriend and I decided to spend our 2 1/2 anniversary at The Chocolate Bar. As we were seated, the feeling in the room was very rushed. Our waitress did a deceng job throughout the evening but it was almost obvious that we were the last table of her shift, and she wanted to leave ASAP. Regarding our food, we were both disappointed. I had looked at the menu online that day and was interested in the Steak & Egg Wrap, only to discover it wasn't available. I then ordered the Buffalo Chicken sandwich that turned out quite good. As for my girlfriends food, she ordered the Mac n cheese with steak. This was terrible (may have been the worst Mac n cheese we've had). There was no seasoning at all, and it tasted like burnt cheese and water.Special Features:
- Great lunch spotjdeng8VIPDined on 8/12/2014We each had salads - the Mediterranean and the Berry Good. Both were excellent. We were in and out on our lunch hour with good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointedKevinathanDined on 8/1/2014My partner and I came to Cleveland for a date night, which included dinner and an Indians game. We had reservations at 5pm and were promptly seated. The drinks were fantastic, and the spinach and artichoke dip was delicious. Sadly, our salads were delivered while half our appetizer remained. By the time we put the first fork full of salad in our mouths the entrees arrived. Obviously my prime rib & sides got cold, and my partners flat bread got cold & soggy. After speaking with a manager, all that was offered was free dessert. So disappointing, as it was my meal that was problematic, not a slice of cake. It isn't often I can afford to spend $100 on dinner, next time it won't be here. Had better service getting dollar dogs at the ballpark!
- foodschnappsDined on 7/30/2014i used to love this restaurant. their food has gone down hill. i ordered the club paninni and it wasn't even grilled enough and the turkey was cold inside.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and Martinis!CLEwineanddineDined on 7/26/2014A few friends and I came here for dinner and drinks to start off my bachelorette party. They have a fabulous selection of specialty martinis (we loved every one that we tried!) and their food was excellent as well. My only complaint was the service. It was very busy (a Saturday night, very happy I made a reservation or the wait would have been an hour) and the waitress took a long time to come back to us each time. She asked us if we were ready for our check and it took at least 20 minutes after that before she came back with it. Other than that, our experience was fantastic and we will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love itlinaressanDined on 7/18/2014This is my third time eating at Chocolate Bar. I enjoy the environment and the food. I classic and romantic. Especially strawberry dip in Chocolate. ExcellentSpecial Features:
- LisaDined on 7/18/2014Have been here several times before and it was good - hopefully this was just a bad night. Went before a concert so we were on a time schedule. Ordered first drink and waited 25 minutes for it to be delivered. Waited 35 minutes for food after ordering. (A chicken caesar wrap and a salad). Ordered 2nd drink and once again waited over 20 minutes. Server never explained or apologized the reason for the long delays. Server was not nice at all - must have been having a bad day. We will not return for dinner - plenty of other places on E 4th to eat.
- Fabulous FoodLLRBDined on 7/13/2014Once again the Chocolate Bar does not disappoint with quality and flavor of food. This is however the second time our service has been sub par. The waiter forgot items, had to come back to confirm specifics of order, did not check on beverages throughout our meal, and when asked for the check - took ten minutes to deliver. Love the food but service seems hit or miss. Recommendation is to go when you have plenty of time in case wait staff is sloe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An enjoyable eveningEBethJDDined on 7/12/2014We have been to the Chocolate Bar twice - once with a friend for drinks and once with our son for dinner. The food is quite good, but the drinks are even better. While the ambience is generally more grown up, we felt totally comfortable with our tween son, who enjoyed the cheesecake immensely. The service was also a high point of our last visit. Our waitress was very personable and added to our enjoyment of the evening.Special Features:
- Excellent visitChadDined on 6/28/2014Our reservations were ready as soon as we got there. Was sat at a nice table for two by the front window which was perfect because the wife and I both love to people watch. And people watching was good Saturday night before the Bruno concert. Martini's were a bit too sweet for me but the food was very good. It was a very pleasant dinner with great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great martinis, sub par foodCheekymonkeeeyDined on 6/27/2014Artichoke dip and drinks all around were very good. Entree menu choices were safe. Nothing great. My Southwest Chicken salad had no flavor. Multiple pieces of silverware were dirty. Waitress wasn't paying attention and almost hit my friend in the face with a to-go box. My group of four plan to go back sometime. Just for apps and drinks though. The food left a lot to be desired. No one had dessert this time because of sweet drinks but they looked amazing at other tablesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014we've dined here before and had better experiences. it wasn't bad this time but there was nothing that stood out. just average all the way around. service was not overly attentive and the food was nothing special. they "ran out" of prime rib by 7:30 on a friday night? drinks were the highlight i suppose and my wife enjoyed her fancy sweet martinis. would stop back for those but perhaps have dinner up the street somewhere else next time we're downtown. when you only get out once in a while you like it to be memorable. the server didn't ask but we were celebrating our anniversary.
- Fun night out with the girlsJennJ323Dined on 6/9/2014We went to Chocolate Bar specifically for their Martinis & Manicures promotion. If you purchase a martini ($10) you get a free manicure.. the manicures are done by students going to make up/hair school, so it wasn't the best quality, but we had a good time & enjoyed it. The drinks were a little pricey, but they were good. We shared a couple appetizers that were all good portions & tasted good! Our server was nice & attentive. Overall we had a very good experience.Special Features:
- Fun PlaceHappyDined on 6/7/2014We went there to celebrate my son's 21st birthday with a martini and dessert. The desserts were very good and the martinis were excellent. It was fun to be there. Service was excellent! It is one of my favorite places to go when we need to celebrate a special occasion with our family. My young adult children really enjoy going to the Chocolate bar too! There were a lot of Bachelorette parties going on. It was fun to see the all of the brides having fun!Special Features:
- not as expectedamandaveDined on 6/4/2014Similar to the cheesecake factory but not as nice. Menus dirty service terrible. We went for our anniversary expected romantic, instead we were out at a 2 top high top table. Only booth in the whole restaurant seated 8 or 10 people. When we were done with dinner the waiter just brought the check even though we commented we were having dessert. It was very disappointing.
- Great timeKnightriderDined on 5/31/2014We had an excellent experience. Our waiter was awesome. He made some excellent suggestions that were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- girls nightDMY425Dined on 5/29/2014Great for a night downtown! Our martini's were by far the best. Our server was very helpful when it came to recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!bhovanecDined on 5/24/2014This was an awesome restaurant. Our waitress (Natalie) was so friendly and knowledgeable. I highly recommend going.Special Features:
- Pros and conssaz500Dined on 5/23/2014Anything called the chocolate bar MUST be good, right? I have to admit I've had better chocolate martinis in other places; these seem a little weak (Flemings Steakhouse does one of the best I've had) but for this visit I was driving so no martinis for me - I did have a chocolate notini which was like sweet chocolate milk (and possibly the base for the martinis - insipid!) My daughter loves this place! We like the chocolate baguette which is delish. I wish they'd drop the oil in the dip because it does NOT mix with chocolate, so you just get oil on your baguette or chips and no chocolate! The main courses were very nice this time but can be hit or miss. The desserts are just scrumptious and it was hard to decide. Our server was delightful.Special Features:
- Nice place but the food isnt freshOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/23/2014My husband got the buffalo chicken sandwich and the chicken on the sandwich was two chicken tenders (one per half of the sandwich). I got the Bella sandwich and I had a similar issue. There was only mushroom on half of the sandwich. Their desserts sound amazing on paper but what we ordered was lack luster. The Oreo mud was a small slice of pre bought Oreo cake and a old strawberry on the side. My husband got a brownie crepe again, it sounded better on paper than it was on the plate. The server was nice and the restaurant is in a great location but the quality was sub par.Special Features:
- Great picksuesreviewDined on 5/19/2014As a visitor to Cleveland I was looking for a nice meal with different menu items. It was Great! Relaxing environment. Wonderful menu choices. Food and drinks were excellent. I enjoyed my choice! Will go back next time I am in Cleveland.Special Features:
- Able to accommodate gluten free!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014Awesome nachos! Our server took the time to check with the kitchen and make sure they were a safe choice!I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedVan5689Dined on 5/17/2014I was very disappointed. I come here all the time, but the service was just horrible. They called me 20 minutes after I was seated, asking if I was still coming in for dinner. I informed her that I've already been seated. My meal was served first, and my husband's meal came 15 mins later and it was cold. We asked them to take it back. The manager was rude. Probably will not be coming back here soon. Disappointed
- OK Food, great atmosphereanntcrandDined on 5/17/2014If you looking for a top notch meal, this is not the place. Reasonable priced entrees (~$20). What they do well is provide a good place for friends to meet over great drinks and desert. Location is perfect right off public square. A group of 4 parked at playhouse square, walked down and was able to have appetizers, dinner and desert (including chocolate martinis) in two hours and walk back for the show. Nice location. Parking available in the old BP building right next door if needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 188 reviews are from the The Chocolate Bar reviews archive.
- Great Dining ExperienceTopChoiceDined on 5/13/2014My daughters and I had a very special dining experience at Chocolate Bar. We will definitely come back again. Service was great and food excellent.Special Features:
- Too badTable4fourDined on 5/3/2014It's too bad a really good meal was overshadowed by very poor service. One person in our party asked which of a particular drink to get and was told "eww yeah I wouldn't recommend that." Appreciate the honesty but not a great start. Then it was like our server was on break at every segment of our meal. We were patient but had to ask for someone to find her twice. Overall would have been a great experience but unfortunately we left with a bad taste, figuratively speaking, due to the service or lack there of. And there were open tables so and plenty of help around serving their tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayKarenDined on 4/26/2014I was very disappointed. I was celebrating my birthday. I ordered the buffalo chicken flatbread. It had a burnt taste to it so I sent it back. 1 of the mgrs brought it back to tell me it's not burnt. I told him that is what it tasted like to me & I did not want to eat it. He made me feel like I did something wrong. He was also walking through the dining room licking his fingers like he just ate a slab of ribs! There was another mgr who was over him and she came to talk to me. She was very kind & apologetic. I told her my thoughts on the other mgr. She said he was new. I told her he definitely is not good management material, as I am in the business myself. She was very nice & said she would pass along the info to the general manager.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceBillMyers44Dined on 4/26/2014Wonderful dinner at The Chocolate Bar. Our server was very polite and made some really good drink recommendations. Loved the Pecan Crusted Chicken. The Dip your own Strawberries Dessert was huge and very nicely priced. We will definitely dine again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Chocolate Martini'sMikeydDined on 4/12/2014We normally go here for the Chocolate Martini's however we went for dinner and it was as expected, very good. We normally get the Chocolate Fondue for two, which includes fruit, marshmallows, pretzel sticks, and some other items, but this time we went for separate deserts, which were fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice menu choices and calorieOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/12/2014Nice menu choices and calorie noted on some dishes; we tried two of the <500 and both were excellent, and saved room for some of their fabulous desert choices!Special Features:
- Good Food - Hovering StaffDaiyneyDined on 4/10/2014I always enjoy dining at the Chocolate Bar for lunch. The food is always tasty and well prepared. This time however, there were about 6 or so staff members hovering around the dining room not really doing anything, joking with one another while I am trying to enjoy my lunch. It definitely took away from the experience. It wasn't an occasional meandering, they were in the dining room standing around, joking, laughing, discussing personal business during much of the time I was there. Granted the restaurant didn't have a lot of patrons in it at the time, especially on the side that I was dining on but it still made me uncomfortable and I think is something they should give attention to.Special Features:
- great as always, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2014Choco bar doesn't disappoint in terms of food or atmosphere, HOWEVER, my one critique would be to better insulate the front door area, or provide more heat. I've been here twice during the cold months and was made to sit in the very front of the restaurant both times, with nothing more than a curtain between me and the elements every time someone opened the door (which was a lot)! The space heater provided was mostly a joke, and being so cold can make it difficult to enjoy a good meal...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteLisaWDined on 4/5/2014We originally went to Chocolate Bar to try the drinks (which are amazing), but we keep coming back for the food. The prices are reasonable, the atmosphere is energetic and inviting, and we always love our meals. From the flatbreads to full entrees, Chocolate Bar does not disappoint. The buffalo chicken flatbread is a personal favorite of mine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delis - but expensiveClassyPinkCutieDined on 4/3/2014The chocolate martinis are always a treat ... except I swear they are now served in smaller glasses, which makes them uber overpriced now! But delis, none the less. And, of course, all the other food - with a hint of chocolate here and there, is the best! It was great for a bit to eat with my girls on a rainy week night - much less busy then on the weekend.Special Features:
- Desserts and Drink onlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2014We went here after a show at Playhouse Square and ordered chocolate covered strawberry martinis, which were delicious and had a good amount of alcohol. I also ordered mac and cheese (which is not even as good as the velveeta box stuff) and crab cakes (which were decent, but not as extraodinary as they should be for $12). The spiked hot chocolate is great, they use real whipped cream and the fruit they serve is fresh. What I wish we would have done is eat dinner somewhere else, go to the show and then for dessert and drinks here; the food is just not that great. PS The bathrooms are sub-par.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.