The Chew Chew
33 East Burlington
Riverside, IL 60546Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Chew Chew
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thechewchew.com/
- Phone: 7084478781x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
(Closed on Sunday with the exception of
Mother's Day, Father's Day & Easter)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Zimmer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full-Service, Pick-Up or Delivery
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant has a second level mezzanine for groups up to 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Scott 708-447-8781x
- Special Events: The Chew Chew hosts wine & beer dinners throughout the year. We also celebrate Mardi Gras with a weeklong party including a creole menu, fortune teller, magician, belly dancers, costumes & throws.
A word from The Chew Chew
Awarded "Best of Chicago" and a "Neighborhood Gem" by Chicago Magazine the Chew Chew is back on track after a complete renovation of their new location in Riverside. Chef/Owner Scott Zimmer has re-opened the popular eatery two-blocks from the previous location which features multi-level dining, a large bar/lounge, new menu and an expanded beer and wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Chew Chew - Best Restaurants in Riverside ›
The Chew Chew reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (85)fit for foodies (59)good for groups (36)special occasion (33)great for lunch (31)romantic (24)kid-friendly (22)great for outdoor dining (15)notable wine list (11)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (7)great for brunch (6)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Nice Restaurant in RiversideOakparkbobDined on 8/29/2014I like to eat here a couple of times a year. The food is good and relatively reasonable. Watch out for the diver scallops entrée. You only get three scallops. They look very lonely on the plate!Special Features:
- Yum Yum Chew ChewGrandmerePDined on 8/27/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants, as we can always count on outstanding food, pleasant ambience and great service! This visit was with a bunch of rowdy senior women. We had a great time and a half price bottle of wine to boot!Special Features:
- Business meetingDoctorDaveDined on 8/27/2014I requested a quiet table for a business meeting for two. Chew Chew fulfilled my request in every respect. My table was for four in a quiet corner. There was ample room on the table for my 3 ring binder. The server was excellent and unobtrusive. Their menu had a variety of items that were easy enough to eat so they didn't take away from the conversation. As always with Chew Chew, the food was excellent. It just so happened that I had dinner at the Chew Chew that evening. That experience was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okay.SGC6Dined on 8/26/2014I cannot say that this was a favorite for me. My group raved about the goat cheese tart that when it made it's way to me was devoured. The rest of the food was just average.Special Features:
- An excellent choice!AFoodieDined on 8/23/2014We are long-term fans of The Chew Chew but hadn't been there in a while. We were glad to be back. Two of us had the diver scallops with polenta, porcini mushroom jus, and arugula (I think there was also whiskey in the delicious sauce), while the other two had a daily special, rainbow trout with basil pesto. Both were excellent! The service was also attentive and impeccable. Best of all, our guests also became fans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably very goodBigSamVIPDined on 8/21/2014This is a wonderful restaurant in quaint Riverside. It is immaculately clean with some outdoor tables and a second level that's nice for children. The food is well-chosen and prepared. Excellent salads, oysters, mussels, salmon, burgers. and steaks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/16/2014Top notch restaurant in the heart of Riverside! AMAZING Food, drinks, service/staff and Chef/Owner Scott.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to be missedsilksterVIPDined on 8/12/2014The best pork chop I have had anywhere in the 'burbsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Chew Chew in RiversidehovstranDined on 8/9/2014We had been meaning to try this close by restaurant for many months, and we finally did last weekend. We had high expectations and I believe that they were exceeded. A second couple was with us. When we visit them in Rogers Park we have no trouble finding wonderful restaurants in Chicago or Evanston, but I struggle to pick a good restaurant when they visit us. We enjoyed sitting upstairs where it seemed a little quieter. Everyone enjoyed the food especially my wife who had spareribs, one of the specials that night. The wait staff was just as attentive as I would want them to be. The tab came to $165 for the four of us with an appetizer, drinks and deserts. At that price we can't be regulars, but we expect to go back many times.Special Features:
- Great dining experience!Diner222Dined on 8/7/2014I frequent this place often because the food is always excellent, very inclusive wine list and drink options are plentiful and very well made. Service is top notch. Need I say more?!Special Features:
- Delicious DishesKatekDined on 7/26/2014We had a great dinner at Chew Chew. We had been here once before in its previous location and thought it was very good. This time it was even better. We were greeted immediately and shown to our table. Warm bread with a yummy herb butter arrived a few minutes later. For appetizers we had the mussels and a linguine special with homemade sausage and mushrooms. Both were really good but the mussels were outstanding and we sopped every drop of the broth with the bread. There were four of us and we all had different entres. Each of us tried the others and they were all outstanding. My favorite was the duck with risotto. The scallops also stood out. I would definitely recommend the Chew Chew if you re in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- RubyDined on 7/25/2014Great food and service. Menu offer a wide range of options - everything we had was delicious - love the fried pickles!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014We needed a quiet spot for a family gathering and they put us upstairs in a quiet corner. The food was wonderful, interesting, delicious. Ambiance wonderful. Service attentive.Special Features:
- A GEMPangurBanVIPDined on 7/24/2014Great place to meet friend for late lunch or dinner always pleasesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Julu 10thsheefiVIPDined on 7/10/2014we got a lovely corner/window table, it was fun due to the Cruise night outside. everything was lovely. food was delicious esp flatbread/brussel sproutsSpecial Features:
- GREATPangurBanVIPDined on 7/10/2014This local Gem always pleases whether it is a quick lunch or a relaxed dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch placeGrandmerePDined on 7/10/2014Thoroughly enjoyed meeting friends here for lunch. Service was good without being overbearing, quiet and elegant atmosphere. The shrimp tacos were outstanding, and my friends spoke highly of the spaghetti squash bolognese and the fish and chips. You won't regret a visit to the Chew Chew.Special Features:
- Still the best in near west suburbsHinsdaleJoeDined on 7/5/2014Creative menu and quality, preparation and presentation could not be better Had the lamb burger last two visits, should try something else but now hooked. Good wines at reasonable prices. Great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JessBVIPDined on 6/30/2014Very good food. Server was very nice and polite; could have watched drink levels a little more carefully. Martini glasses are a bit ridiculous though. Very small so the drink is spilling all over the tray and table. Not sure why they do that, but easy solution. Overall I enjoyed my experience.Special Features:
- So Very Special...Our Chew ChewTeewinotDined on 6/26/2014The cuisine is outstanding with a delightful presentation and excellent service. The variety on the menu plus the specials make this treasure of Riverside a place to return again and again! Kudos to one of my favorite places to dine, but better yet, minutes away! Have a penchant for the Spaghetti Squash, but all the offerings I've experienced are delightful. Never any rushing, but a delightful experience of dining with a friend or friends. Can be a special occasion, or just enjoyment of friendship, excellent food and service!Special Features:
- lst time diner at The Chew ChewwillowspringsdinerDined on 6/21/2014Dinner experience at The Chew Chew was exactly as anticipated after reading the great reviews on YELP. Our reservation was at 5:30 & we were seated approx. 5 min after arrival. We had a cocktail at the bar while waiting. We shared the special Burrata appetizer.. fabulous! Loved that they offered this, as not many restaurants do. My husband had the soft shell crab pasta & I had the almond encrusted trout. Both great. Unfortunately the appetizer filled us up & we were unable to finish our entrees and skipped dessert. That's ok because we had them to enjoy again the next day. Our server was wonderful & very personable. We can't wait to return to The Chew Chew..perhaps for lunch so we can explore the historical downtown of Riverside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesomepegster1Dined on 6/18/2014We've been going to the Chew Chew for years. The food and the service is ALWAYS outstanding. This was our farewell dinner with them because we are moving out of Riverside and we had to say goodbye to Scott the owner and our one favorite waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningMaryMacDined on 6/13/2014Food & service was excellent. I would definitely return & recommend to friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT!!!PangurBanVIPDined on 6/13/2014The owner, Scott, runs a reliable gem in the National Landmark Village of Riverside.Food is always excellent whither it is a corned beef sandwich or a four course dinner. Nice wine selection and great local beers.Special Features:
- Good Bye dinnerFrancophileDined on 6/9/2014Three of us took a co-worker who is relocating to Florida for a great opportunity for a celebratory and good bye dinner. I was the only one who had been to the Chew Chew before. They all loved it and were telling others at work about it the next day. We all ordered drinks (frozen strawberry daiquiri, sangria, 2 glasses of wine) and snacks of edamame and brussel sprouts. Also, the warm bread and spreadable herbed butter were both tasty. We ate it all. I ordered the pasta special while everyone else ordered off the menu. I can't remember exactly what everyone ordered because we were talking. After dinner, I ordered the mini hot fudge sundae while everyone else ordered coffee. Great atmosphere & food but a little noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and not so goodGrouponnightoutDined on 6/4/2014My skirt was wonderful and the Cosmo and oysters, my husband liked his salad but his Wild Bore and spare ribs was not what he expected as pasta in a bowl. My sister had chicken and her husband had the special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THANKS SCOTTPangurBanVIPDined on 6/4/2014We were quite LATE for our reservations and found the door was lock. Yet the Owner, Scott, saw us, specially openned for us and personally served us as we finished a relaxed VERY LATE lunch. The food was VERY GOOD and the service was EXCELLENT. Few places would places or owners would take such care of tarty clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as usualfiddlefanDined on 6/3/2014We have been going to the Chew Chew for years and have never had a disappointing meal. The hardest thing to do is to decide what to select from the menu as everything sounds delicious and, no matter what you choose, it is! The service is always great. Our server was very knowledgeable and responsive. Prices are reasonable in light of the quality of the food offered. We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we love the chew chewmaoonDined on 6/1/2014great food and terrific service. convenient location in Riverside. we've never been disappointed here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT PLACE IN HISTORIC RIVERSIDEPangurBanVIPDined on 5/30/2014As usual Chew Chew hits the mark with good food at all levels. Open again for lunch Scott Zimmer continues to serve the needs of his guests whither they want a great sandwich or an upscale three course dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chew Hoo!HellonWheelsDined on 5/29/2014As always, to be greeted by the pleasant and always friendly accommodating owner. Scott Zimmer, at the door is always a plus. A crisp glass of Reisling and this eclectic menu pleases the palate. Even ran into friends who decided, much to our surprise, to select the same culinary treat for dinner. I chose the fresh perch fish and chips and it was a delight, as usual. I love the old-fashioned train dining car art. That's all that's missing is the occasional choo-choo in the background!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Gem always greatLocalsDined on 5/24/2014Never disappointed and always look forward to eating at the Chew Chew. At the top of our favorite restaurants and the bonus is that it is right in the neighborhood with ease of parking. Staff is always attentive and friendly. Upscale food and creative drinks in a casual relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Chew ChewJenPDined on 5/24/2014We go to Chew Chew for every birthday celebration in our family. We always have a great meal and the kids love the fancy occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We we're put upstairs where a partyNewchewDined on 5/24/2014We faced a wall and the party was loud no atmosphere. My chop was delicious but my friends scallops were fishy and only warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious surprise in RiversideDeliciousDaveDined on 5/17/2014Flatbread was delicious, seafood medley pasta was delicious, all was delicious. Parking no problem. Will definitely go back. Drinks, appetizer, and main courses for two was about $70, tip included.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big city restaurant in tiny villagecasualdinerDined on 5/17/2014Chew Chew in Riverside has the feel of a downtown restaurant but is set off the tracks in a small village. Foodies will adore this place because of the somewhat eclectic menu. It's a great neighborhood place where many of the locals come regularly to dine. This place is not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Riverside Gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/14/2014Loved the old Chew Chew, but the new place is quite a delight. Very popular in the western suburbs. Who wants to travel downtown, pay huge parking fees and then fight traffic to get home. Food is a delight, with a variety to choose from. There are always Specials to try. Go today, you won't be disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not great, dining.HappyEaterDined on 5/10/2014We came for dinner. We found the trio appetizer to be a bit bland. The cesear salad was excellent, as were the shrimp tacos and pork chop. The key lime pie was way too sweet and not much lime flavor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place to eatLaurieDined on 5/9/2014I had dinner there with an out of town friend. We spent a lot of time chatting...so when we went to order our Entree..the trout was no longer available. we were sad because we had it before and it was so good. But we had the fish and chips and they were just as good. Our waiter was perfect. attentive but not hovering. and very helpful and friendly.Special Features:
- Chew ChewOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/6/2014I hate to be unkind, but our dinner at Chew Chew was one of the worst we had in a ling time. My husband's pork shops were so sweet he couldn't eat them. The sauce on my steak was bitter. I guess we just don't like the way they prepare their food.
- The following 404 reviews are from the The Chew Chew reviews archive.