18 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thechesternyc.com/
- Phone: 646-253-2284x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 7AM - 2AM
Thursday - Saturday: 7AM - 4AM
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Chester
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Chester reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (18)hot spot (12)fit for foodies (10)vibrant bar scene (10)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (9)good for groups (8)neighborhood gem (8)scenic view (6)special occasion (5)late-night find (3)romantic (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Go for the people watchingSaraVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great to sit in outdoor seating for the lively neighborhood people-watching. The food was average, the service and drinks both very good.Special Features:
- Every mouthful enjoyableTravelFoodie7VIPDined on 8/3/2014I ate here with a group of 5 over the weekend. We had almost every appetizer (skipped the bass one) and several of the sides. I don't believe we left any food on the table. Our server was very nice and friendly. We dined outside and it was the perfect night to do so. Every dish was tasty. We would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, slow serviceDiloumDined on 7/12/2014We went there for a brunch with my two friends. We really liked the food, it tasted really good. But it took 30 minutes for our plates to come. I asked a black tea with milk. It took the waitress about 15 minutes to tell me that there were actually no black tea, so I asked for the Earl Grey w/ milk. 15 minutes to have it (it came after the food). And the milk came 5 minutes after. We really felt that there was a lack of communication within the restaurant. But still, the waitress was very nice and smiley and again, the food was very good, so we really appreciated our brunch! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014I had called several days ahead and changed my reservation time. It apparently was not changed, so when I arrived the host/hostess did not have me on their list, another hostess did find the original reservation and pointed out that I was 30 mins. late. The room was loud, the ambiance was nil and it being NYC we left and found a friendly Italian restaurant on the next block. I have entered one star in all categories, only because the program will not accept my review, but they actually earned none.
- Better than a bus station dinerCassandraDined on 7/9/2014But not much better than a bus station diner. Five in party and every one of us found the food to be poor. Steak was tough; salmon was bathed in something like maple syrup, sitting on tough yet limp asparagus; hamburger was mostly bun. On the plus side, the fries were pretty good and the water glasses were kept full.
- Cozy and quiet lunch breakNYCGalVIPDined on 7/2/2014So different during the week, for lunch, as opposed to the evenings, especially on weekends.Special Features:
- Great Date Night SpotAM829Dined on 6/28/2014I walked past The Chester one night when I was strolling through Meatpacking, and it caught my eye due to all the people sitting outside and the fun music playing. I said to myself I have to come here one night with my boyfriend. We did that Saturday night reservations for 2 at 8:15 preferably outside, and they accommodated us well! A great spot in the corner of their beautiful outdoor seating spot; we could see the sunset that night! The Cheese plate was amazing and my skirt steak was very very good! The drinks were ok, but we had a gret time nonetheless. I will definitely be going back! And would love to try their brunch :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great summer lunch place!RarelyincityDined on 6/27/2014I met a friend there visiting from out of town -- we were seated in a comfortable cushioned bench outside, where we sat caddy-corner and were able to catch up easily. There was a cool breeze and I was happy to show her the lively meat-packing district. The food was great -- we had the kale salad and spaghetti squash (which can come topped with a little shrimp or steak: we picked steak and it was delicious, but not too much volume. Just right). Service a little slow, but this really didn't concern us. Great choice.Special Features:
- Meatpacking GemOnlytheFinestDined on 6/15/2014Next to Gansevoort Hotel is a gem in Meatpacking! Outdoor dining, I've been there 4 times in 2 weeks. Menu is fabulous. Try the Kale Caesar salad. Oysters are great. Banana pancakes are a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip itMelissaNYCDined on 6/12/2014Service was extremely slow even though the restaurant was not busy. The food was mediocre to bad. There is better - it was not worth the $$$
- ReviewFatandEngDined on 6/7/2014Went here as a surprise for my girlfriend, at first I liked the area and how the restaurant looked but felt slightly let down by the noise level as I was hoping for a quieter, more romantic meal. When the food came though we both forgot all about the noise as we both found our dishes amazingly well prepared! I would definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at bestShefjVIPDined on 5/29/2014I was excited to try this restaurant and brought someone visiting NYC because I thought it would be a good night out. The hosts and hostesses were nice and seated us right away. However everything went downhill from there. The waitress was slow throughout the night to take our order, check in on us and answer questions. She didn't know much about the menu and had to ask various people for answers (cuts of meat, sides, ingredients) We had to ask multiple people for condiments and refills on our drinks, and even then had to wait a while. The meat came to the table cooked incorrectly, and other issues. After all that, the food was only ok - NOT a place I would recommend. But, we went to the bar afterwards and the bartender was nice.
- OutstandingjeffVIPDined on 5/28/2014This is a great new addition to the Meatpacking area. Food was outstanding and the service was as well. There are some crazy good dishes like the lemon gnocchi and the scallops.Special Features:
- The following 28 reviews are from the The Chester reviews archive.
- Good restaurant - ok foodwannabefoodieDined on 5/16/2014I thought the restaurant was nice and has a hip crowd attached to the Gansvoort Hotel. Table was great and service was good. Would have been nicer to sit outside but weather was bad. The food was only Ok - just missing something but was all in all a good experience.Special Features:
- Great space!Aniuta1210Dined on 5/10/2014I was really skeptical of the Chester, as I was a huge fan of Toy and almost refused to give it a fair shot since Toy closed. However, I am so glad I did! The scallops were great, as well as the gnocchitelli! The drink menu was also very well put together. Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Spectacular!Chappaqua8VIPDined on 5/8/2014The Chester is an incredible experience - the food is out of this world, the service impeccable, and the energy is soulful. I recently hosted a large dinner and everyone was blown away by the incredible cuisine & ambiance. Every course was a delight...every dish a new experience. Several days later we're still talking about the night...a very good time. Thank you to everyone at The Chester!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014Took more than an hour to get our brunch entrees, took another hour to bring us coffee. They apologized repeatedly which was nice, but it didn't get better.
- SolidLadyChefM1VIPDined on 5/1/2014Took us a while to sit but once seated we were fine. My server was great! The new Spring/Summer 2014 menu is delicious! Great place to dine outside or inside. Will definitely make this my new spot for both pleasure and business.Special Features:
- Pretty BadAdSmithVIPDined on 4/29/2014What a gross place...the menu is very limited and inflexible. The granola was not granola...it was dried coconut and flakes of granola? Only full-fat yogurt. It was the worst parfait I've ever had, I ate 35% of it. I asked for a muffin on the side and was told I had to buy a BASKET of muffins for $16...no exceptions. So, we did...and threw them all out. They were dry and tasteless. My friend got a dish that she didn't finish, either. The service was slow and three waiters juggled us and it was about 20% full. Horrible meal. The only benefit was the location but we won't return. I'd give it a "D."
- Nice atmosphereLaurenVIPDined on 4/27/2014Really nice decor but service wasn't great and didn't seem worth the high expense. The pancakes were really good, but some peoples potatoes were cold.Special Features:
- perfect for calm lunch, outsideOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/21/2014on a nice day, the outside is awesome. little pricey but you knew that already! great ambiance.Special Features:
- Great food, great musicsouthernmeNYCDined on 4/18/2014Loved the food- highly recommend the skirt steak and the roasted chicken. Dirty martinis were amazing but drinks were slightly overpriced. Great music and atmosphere!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Food- Bad ServiceJJakoubekVIPDined on 3/17/2014When I came here with a client for a Monday lunch I expected it to be quiet but certainly did not expect to be the sole diners in the entire restaurant. Ok, so that's a little weird but at least we'll get good service right? Not so much…we had to go searching for our waiter after 20 minutes of not being served and constantly had to flag him down throughout the entire meal. Food was fine, burrata flatbread to share which was a little soggy, client had kale caesar and I had the lobster codd- both decent sized salads for lunch. With Pastis closing you would think they would step up their game a little to entice people to dine there but I doubt I will be going back.
- Would not returnCarlyVIPDined on 3/15/2014Thought that making a reservation in the gansevort in meatpacking would be a sure thing. Unfortunately, this was not the case. First, upon entering the restaurant was extremely bright did not set a very nice Saturday night vibe. We actually asked several times if they could dim the lights. Finally a very sweet manager took us up on our request. The drinks were ridiculously per priced. 17.00 or so for a mixed drink is just silly. The cod skewers were a delicious app but again 9.00 for one skewer is a bit much. The entrees were mediocre. My friends salmons came over cooked he sent it back and then they still charged us. Not the best policy if you would like return customer. Do not think this place will be in business much longer.Special Features:
- AmazingtribecaVIPDined on 3/11/2014Loved the hostess, the food and the service. Will definitely come back here again!Special Features:
- Our waitress was beyond excellent!floozDined on 3/8/2014Our waitress was beyond excellent! The vibe was very cool and definitely pumped us up for a night out - the food was also very good, but I wouldn't say it was anything mind-blowing. Would definitely go back and maybe stay for a drink after too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu and Bar SceneCampbellVIPDined on 3/8/2014Located in a Great Meatpacking Hotel, this restaurant will do very well once summer comes. Service at first was a little rough, however they redeemed themselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back Room BlunderNYSavvyDined on 3/8/2014The front bar area is lively and stylish. We were placed in the back room which was all subway tile, wide open and too brightly lit. It reminded me of a public bathroom - not at all warm and cozy. There were no windows either. The food however was great. The Atlantic cod was excellent - among the best I've ever eaten, and I loved the fried zucchini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating our daughter's "21"!!!!graduateDined on 3/8/2014The Chester was 2nd Choice for our celebration but now it will ALWAYS be 1st!!!!!!!! Our server was out of this world, so helpful with choices, attentive and she was just plain fun!! The food was beautifully presented and the taste equal. By far our best meal for our weekend in the city. I would recommend the Jumbo Shrimp, the biggest I've ever had and fabulous!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We came for brunch. The menuAnonymousDined on 3/1/2014We came for brunch. The menu was promising but the food was fair at best. Service was very slow and inattentive which we couldn't understand since the restaurant was not crowded. We didn't realize that this was the hotel restaurant for The Gansevoort and the prices reflected that: $110 for brunch when we didn't have any alcoholic drinks, and basically one meal salad and two sandwiches. With so many other brunch options in the neighborhood, I would not return to The Chester.
- Pretty, Trendy, LivelyAnniesaysDined on 2/23/2014But not too! Was looking for a place to meet friends for brunch and came upon The Chester. I know the neighborhood and hotel and thought it could be too loud, trendy and given the first two usually means mediocre food. The reality is it was all of the above but not too much of anything - including loud. There were families with young children and the staff accommodated and the kids had fun- middle age (myself included) overall the food was good - was it great, no? But solidly good - reality is I went as much for the company as the food and it all worked out fine.
- PoppinLonzoDined on 2/14/2014The ambience was everything...perfect spot for a romantic nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant Saturday Night!LoveIsBaconVIPDined on 2/7/2014Came here on a Saturday night with a group of friends on a whim. We were lured in by the decadent décor -- lovely chandeliers in a beautiful hall and a romantically lit tented area adorned in flowers. The staff was incredibly attentive and knowledgeable about the menu -- the candied bacon is to die for, and the Atlantic Cod is not to be missed. The bar was filled with a lively, cocktail-sipping crowd by the time we finished dinner. We would have stayed if we didn't have to meet other friends elsewhere! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A REAL SURPRISErtaormVIPDined on 1/24/2014We made last minute reservations at The Chester and expected it to be pretty good. To our great surprise it was more than pretty good; it was outstanding. You know it's pretty hard for a restaurant to make you feel "at home", but it worked here - and made the night even more pleasurable. Food quality was great, service was simply terrific and I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dont BotherOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/8/2013Seems to be a celebrity hang, but not sure why. The service was beyond terrible, the place was empty, had a reservation and had to wait forever for a table. The menu was very limited, the waffle came out ice cold and was not very good. I would not go back.
- DisappointedMax1950VIPDined on 11/29/2013I was really looking forward to a casual restaurant from Sam Hazen, but his terrific work at Veritas did not translate to The Chester. A cold room (in many ways) and, for the most part, pretty mediocre food. Maybe you can chalk it up to it being the day after Thanksgiving (there were barely 6 customers there, and the bar was empty), but I am not running back very soon.
- Underwhelmed by serviceDarterVIPDined on 11/21/2013Decided to check out The Chester for lunch. We had high hopes with it being a new restaurant in a fun location. Unfortunately the lack of service overshadowed the experience. The hostess was busy on a personal call during check in; server took our drink order and disappeared - we had to walk over to get them ourselves; when we were ready to order we were advised several items we wanted were no longer available (might be time to update that new menu); & getting the check was an ordeal too. All of this said, we were the "only" table there for 20min and then only four more tables served during lunch, so they were far from busy. The manager was also completely disengaged. Hopefully they can work out these issues, b/c the food was tasty!
- The location isn't the problem...finedinerVIPDined on 11/12/2013Was looking forward to checking out the newest Gansevoort restaurant as a friend stays there often. Big disappointment. Our server formulaically told us repeatedly that the cod special was very "healthy" (farmed fish is never "healthy"). She was uncooperative or uneducated about requests and a manager intervened. Could have overlooked the untrained server if the food was worth it. While the mac and cheese was delish (it's mac and cheese!!), the rest was simply ok, or not edible. How do you mess up kale? But it had odd flavors and I just couldn't eat it. And my friend said the devilled eggs were awful, she left half the dish untouched. Other dishes were barely adequate. When there are so many other options in this hood, I'd skip it.Special Features:
- Not stellargmamaDined on 11/6/2013Just OK........fine to meet some friends for a casual dinner out. Space is small but nice. Food is OK, nothing special. I was meeting a group of former co-workers & it was a perfect spot for that. If you are not expecting an amazing meal & need a convenient location to meet, I would recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Runa tartare was too saltyAngieVIPDined on 10/30/2013Runa tartare was too salty while oysters weren't as fresh as I would Like. The food is good but needs some refinement.Special Features: