The Cheshire Cheese Inn
4585 Dunbar St
Vancouver, BC V6S 2G7Neighborhood:
BritishPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Cheshire Cheese Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://cheshirecheeseinn.ca/
- Phone: 6042242521
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - close
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Northwest, British
- Executive Chef: Harry Sturhahn
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can provide the following food services 1) Small party trays and snacks for pickup. 2) Luncheon trays and sandwiches for pickup. 3) We don't provide funtion menus but can provide you with a custom menu offering to meet your needs. 4) We can provide off site catering for groups of 50 or more. Menus are custom to meet the needs of your group.
- Entertainment: "The Cheese" as it affectionately called by the regulars provides special events and well as TRIVIA NIGHT every Tuesday. Please check our website for more details.
A word from The Cheshire Cheese Inn
Since 1979, the iconic Cheshire Cheese Inn has been providing locals and visitors alike with a neighbourly gastro-pub experience. Affectionately called "The Cheese", our cozy-casual British themed room is abuzz with jovial banter from a great mix of diners & our lovable regulars in the bar. Our staff add to this vibrant atmosphere as they are a friendly, cheeky bunch providing you with a good time & truly approachable dining experience. If you haven't had the chance to try some classic British menu items, "The Cheese" aims to please; classics such as the Toad in the Hole, Cornish Pasty, Bangers & Mash and many more. We stay true to our casual roots, as well a offer you a high quality product. Check out our website for our great daily food & drink specials, such as our Roast Prime Rib of Beef with Yorkshire Pudding on Friday nights or Red Wine & Thyme Pork Loin on Wednesday. Our drinks selection include ice cold local and import draughts and a diverse wine/cocktail menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Cheshire Cheese Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (5)great for lunch (2)fit for foodies (1)good for groups (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Fantastic experienceHappyEaterDined on 8/30/2014I was expecting good food...but food was even better than I thought it would be. my sister and myself were definitely impressed with the "homemade" style food. We had the burger..handmade patty, very fresh bun and best chips I have had in a long time. Very pleasant server. I would definitely go back if I am in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 10 reviews are from the The Cheshire Cheese Inn reviews archive.
- Another typical dinnerDrDcaDined on 5/11/2014Again, a good meal at a good price. Mothers' Day dinner, not at all crowded, nice specials, good service, good food. What more could one ask?Special Features:
- Where's the cheese?OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/1/2014Four of us ate at the Cheshire Cheese before a movie at the Dunbar Theatre. The seafood salad was attractively served and appeared to be good value for the price, the calamari with tzatziki was pronounced okay, my garlic and chili prawns were reasonably good but with no evidence of the cracked chilies, but the tavern salad with grilled salmon was seriously lacking. The salmon was fine but the salad itself consisted of a chunk of lettuce, one or two candied walnuts, a few matchstick-sized bits of apple, and no Stilton at all (the waitress eventually brought a tiny container with about a teaspoonful of crumbled blue cheese). I had the same salad a few months ago with much the same result but put it down to an off-day in the kitchen.
- Almost a proper English pubDoubledatenightDined on 3/27/2014The setting does remind you of a little English pub as does the menu. My only issues were that the mash was on the dry side and their interpretation of banoffee pie was not what I would want from Banoffee pie. The fish and chips were really good as was the toad in the hole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neighbourhood PubDrDcaDined on 3/21/2014The Cheshire is always a great pub - reliable, friendly, and comfortable, like an old shoe. There's seldom anything really new but we love the old favourites and don't look for the latest and greatest! It does seem, however, that whenever we use OpenTable to book, they don't get the reservation! That's happened twice out of 2 times!!Special Features:
- Great British Pub Style RestaurantJenniferDined on 1/25/2014My husband and I love going to this restaurant, this was the first time we used the OpenTable reservation system. We wanted to make sure we had a table, and were pleasantly surprised that they accommodated our request for a booth...we had taken my 93 year old father with us, and the booths are simply that much more comfortable for him to sit in. This is truly a great neighbourhood find. It's a great place for groups sized 1 - 8 people. Although they wouldn't turn kids away, try McDonalds. I say this only because when I go out to a pub style restaurant, I go because I prefer to be in an adult oriented environment. If I want to be around kids, I'll go to kid friendly place. The restaurant has an outdoor patio, but has limited seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We found one of our favorites spotsFoodAdventuresDined on 1/25/2014We went to The Cheshire Cheese Inn not knowing what to expect and we were very pleased. The ambience was exactly like a British Pub, and on top of that, it was Robert Burns night. We enjoyed a great menu, lots of food, and even a bagpiper and a gentleman reciting one of Robbie Burns poems. We even got to meet the owner of the restaurant, who came personally to ask how our food was. Our server, Dana, was awesome and we recommend this place for anybody that wants British food in a true British pub.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a perfect olde English pub :)OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/24/2014GREAT service, not too loud at all, could easily carry on a conversation at our table, food was DELICIOUS and perfect size portions, plus so many wonderful things on the menu we vowed to return and work our way through them. Really chummy, comfortable feeling inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gem!!!MCLIMSDined on 1/19/2014I live in the Dunbar area and have gone to "the cheese" which was a great neighborhood pub, but very traditional pub food. Recently they have changed the menu and modernized their take on pub food but kept old favorites. I have to say the 28 dollar menu was excellent. The braised short rib was very good. Overall a great experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My DineOut Vancouver ExperienceGS87Dined on 1/17/2014This was my first time ever eating at or hearing of the Cheshire Cheese Inn but thanks to DineOut Vancouver, I've discovered a real gem! I don't make my way out to Vancouver West much but this place is definitely worth visiting again! Our server Dana was fantastic! Even though the place was packed to the brim (line up too, it was a friday night), she always found a way to chat us up and keep us engaged. The food was fantastic and the Guinness was a proper Guinness, reminded me of the good stuff I got when I was visiting Dublin, not the sorry excuses most bars pour in North America. However, what really won me over was the ambiance! So loud, but not because of loud music or tvs, because everyone there was chatting and enjoying themselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Cheshire never failsDrDcaDined on 12/24/2013The Cheshire Cheese (Dunbar - Kerrisdale is gone <sniff>) is like an old reliable -- it never fails to satisfy even on a busy evening. Good food, excellent service from pleasant, knowledgable staff.Special Features: