The Chef & The Gardener
345 North St.
Saco, ME 04072Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Chef & The Gardener
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chefandgardener.com/
- Phone: 2072829035x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM.
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM.
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Dinner: Friday,Saturday: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Glidden
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full service, from back yard BBQ"s to Dream Tent Weddings.
- Special Events: wine dinners offered throughout the winter, four courses, four wines.
cooking classes also available, small hands-on, paired with wines.
A word from The Chef & The Gardener
The Chef & the Gardener is a restaurant that believes dining out should be an enjoyable & exciting experience for everyone…no matter how they choose to eat. We make all of our menu items from scratch. In so doing we can assure those with allergies or dietary restrictions that they are not consuming any problem foods. Through our restaurant and our " healthy cuisine to go" We can even work with you to develop dishes that are specific to your needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Chef & The Gardener - Best Restaurants in Saco ›
The Chef & The Gardener reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)fit for foodies (11)special occasion (8)romantic (5)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Delightful Friday Night DinnerWhoknewDined on 8/29/2014My friend and I had trouble deciding what to have because several things on the menu looked so tempting. We chose to share a pear and brie grilled appetizer. Outstanding! My friend had grilled scallops on spinach and mushrooms and I had Osso Bucco on risotto. Both entrees were really good. We indulged in profiteroles for dessert and were well pleased with our expenditure of calories! Service was good. Our waiter went to extra lengths to write down some Maine IPA beers for my friend to look for and take back to her adult son as a gift. I personally love the spare yet friendly small size of the dining area. This is definitely a "return to" restaurant.Special Features:
- Great restaurant just outside OOBDoCharDined on 8/7/2014My husband and I were staying in OOB and we wanted to go out for diner one night without the kids. We were looking for something healthy and far from all the fried food there is in OOB and the surroundings. This little place was really great and the food was delicious. The service was great and nothing was fried. I had the profiterole dessert and they were really good, not too sweet. Overall I would recommand this place to anyone looking for a really good meal without any fried stuff.Special Features:
- Not our cup of teaEaterVIPDined on 8/1/2014The air conditioning was inadequate. The food was uninspired. The place had a tired look. It was almost like eating in someone's basement. The service was excellent, though.
- Three course pairing wineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014I enjoyed the appetizer and featured wine the most, both main entree and dessert where bland and dried up.Special Features:
- food worth the tripfrequentdinerDined on 7/18/2014A bit out of the way but definitely worth finding. Don't miss the "grilled cheese" starter which is excellent. Save room for a profiterole for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- innovative and creativeBobeDined on 7/12/2014Spectacular entrees, interesting appetizers, unusual taste combinations, gluten-free friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gemjohnsonra2VIPDined on 6/19/2014This is a hole in the wall. The looks are very deceiving on the outside. Walk in the door and down the hall and you will be delighted. The outside seating is nice too. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. Our whole experience was great from the service and appetizer to dessert. Very nice wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch, reasonable pricesilenererDined on 6/15/2014The food is really excellent. We went to brunch and were all extremely happy with our choices. There was a large selection of reasonably priced and unique brunch and lunch items. Desserts were also out of this world. The Creme brûlée French toast, Paninis and mushroom crepes were all wonderful . With a nicer atmosphere, this would be fine dining, but the drab furniture, 1980's style dark green walls, drinks in plastic bottles, and the like preclude that. Also, tip to staff - if a tattood fat guy wearing a sleeveless shirt shows up with his underwear showing, seat him in a pleasant, but inconspicuous spot, not right by the door so he's the 1st thing people see when they enter your establishment. I'll be back for the excellent food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 110 reviews are from the The Chef & The Gardener reviews archive.
- Hidden GemgjplDined on 5/16/2014Didn't even know this restaurant existed! Tucked away, and what seems like a surprising location, until you walk in. Intimate restaurant with white tablecloths, great service and good food. The wine I picked was different and wonderful. Prices are reasonable, but can add up if you order appertizer, salad and dessert, along with your entree. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Food was very average; portions on the small side. The place is tiny and they sat parons right next to each other instead of spreading them out. I would not return.Special Features:
- Fresh and delicious foodBrownieDined on 5/8/2014The food was fresh and delicious, we loved it! The staff was very friendly and happy to accommodate any dietary restrictions. We will definitely go back again. M&MSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and nutritiousEmmyDined on 3/28/2014I am always pleased to see the delicious food at Chef and Gardner prepared with consideration for nutrition. There are always good vegetarian options and the veggies with the meal are fresh and well prepared. Their bread is homemade and yummy and the chef will do everything possible to accommodate requests. Service is friendly with good attention to detail (like an always filled water glass) but never rushed or hovering. A hopping place where reservations are recommended and needed-always a good sign!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly a GemSandwichDinerDined on 3/15/2014Absolutely wonderful experience. Surpassed meals at twice to three times the price. Delightful in every way. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- great local spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/5/2014Saco isnt filled with great places but this places always tends to be a go to for us. great food, great service- the bread pudding is amazing.Special Features:
- Great gluten free choicesBosigirlDined on 2/28/2014There were several gluten free choices on the menu. The dishes my group ordered were all delicious. The service was excellent. I'll plan to go again.
- I love it, but.....LovefoodDined on 2/14/2014This is actually my favorite restaurant in the area. The service is always great, wonderful ambiance, and delicious food! However...we went in valentines day and it was completely mediocre. Caesar salad was gross, steak was burned. Our waiter, rylie, was very nice! And took good care of us. Just disappointed in the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well Worth DiscoveringHealthyFoodieDined on 1/9/2014A friend and I met at The Chef & The Gardner for our yearly catch-up dinner. This place was perfect: small, quiet, delicious food, and attentive staff. A small menu but with nice variety and creativity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodgoodeatsDined on 12/31/2013This is a favorite local restaurant, small, intimate and a very attentive staff and delicious food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellent!DaveVIPDined on 12/6/2013We are NEVER disappointed by this hidden gem in Saco, Maine. The food is excellent, reasonable, and the service superb.Special Features:
- DiningKbmbDined on 12/6/2013We had a great first time experience. Both my husband and I feel like we have found a new place for great food and a relaxed environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the menu diversity includingSuzsbirthdayDined on 11/26/2013Loved the menu diversity including the vegan and gluten free options, (the vegan and gluten free dishes were not simply substitutions/exclusions but were creative with fine ingredients). Cozy and ideal for a date night or a quiet dinner with friends. It was difficult to choose a meal, we will need to return. The Server/Hostess (quiet rainy and snowy weekday night) was knowledgable about the cuisine and the wines, and a delightful person.Special Features:
- Worth the searchFlowerDined on 11/15/2013We yelped for a place that was new to us on a drive from Boston to Portland. This place is a surprise! If you go, don't be put off by the bright lights you see from the parking lot. They are from the salon next door. We almost turned around and left. But when you find your way down a hall to the Girl and the Gardener you will find a pleasant, country-style dining room, and you will be warmly welcomed. Have the table-side Caesar. Who does that anymore? But it was really excellent. My husband enjoyed his Pork Osso Buco, and my scallops and risotto were very good. They are big local/organic folks and make everything possible on site. They've been open three years and seem to love what they are doing.Special Features:
- birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2013My husband and I found this spot online...since it was close to my mother's (who was watching our son), we tried it. Eating organically and locally is important to us. Since we don't get out much, it's worth the splurge. We thoroughly enjoyed it!! Great spot, delicious food, good energy. We will be back!Special Features:
- Saco surpriseJohnDined on 10/19/2013Having seen the very good web reviews we were still not sure what to expect. A small place but friendly and attentive staff and excellent food. We would return without hesitation, and hope to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great great greatjmn1618Dined on 10/5/2013Awesome dinner, great service & expert salad prep from Emilie. Looking forward to trying brunch & returnng for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Experiencedrill49Dined on 10/5/2013My wife and I visited the Chef and the Gardener for the first time. It was a fabulous experience. The waitress was very friendly and cordially, as were the other waitresses. The food was excellently prepared, and tasted awesome. The restaurant is a little small, but makes for a quiet experience. I definately will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this neighborhood gem!bpendleDined on 9/26/2013The staff is flexible and always caters to the needs of the customer! They are wonderful at adapting the food and service to your needs, and the food is excellent!! So much fun to go there!!Special Features:
- Table side caesar salad wasBethDined on 9/21/2013Table side caesar salad was unique and delicious. Will be going here again.Special Features:
- GemGalebertaDined on 8/31/2013What a surprise! Fantastic food: fresh from the farm, organic, unique combinations of ingredients. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and delicious. Emily,ourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2013Fresh and delicious. Emily,our server, was amazing! The ambience, however, leaves a lot to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our mealsdeign2dineDined on 8/27/2013I would recommend this restaurant as a good place to visit, featuring local, wholesome, organic food with excellent service.Special Features:
- Outstanding!Jen23Dined on 8/22/2013My friends and I had a lovely dining experience and hope to visit again in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!JeffDined on 8/21/2013Super food and super accommodating of gluten free diets. Waitress was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite!bpendleDined on 8/20/2013Great food with a very flexible staff and chef and super service. We feel like we are with friends now and are so comfortable when eating here. Our favorite restaurant by far!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/17/2013Arriving for a two week stay in Kennebunkport, we wanted a casual moderately priced place for a good meal. This place fit the bill! The food was very good, the menu was interesting and everything was locally sourced and delicious. The wait staff was outgoing and friendly with in depth knowledge of the menu and wine list. This is a great place for a casual and well prepared meal. It was a great find.Special Features:
- Food was goodfoodiefanDined on 8/9/2013The service was very good and our server, Emily, was very knowledgeable about the menu. The food was good, but plating could have been made a little more attractive. Also, what was ordered for sides was not what was delivered. Polenta was offered with my haddock, but mashed potatoes were served. All in all, it was a very pleasurable dining experience.Special Features:
- A true hidden gem.BarbaraVIPDined on 8/2/2013Tucked in the industrial section behind another building, this restaurant is worth the search. A Caesar salad was prepared at our table and it was the best one ever. Our chicken and steaks were cooked perfectly, and the mashed potatoes and the ratatouille were delicious. We will be returning for more dinners.Special Features:
- Great spot in SacoOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/30/2013Food and service were excellent and prices are very reasonable. Strongly recommend having the Caesar's salad for two made at your table. Went for dinner while on vacation in Maine and liked it so much we went back for lunch later in the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!!SacoloverDined on 7/27/2013The food was delicious!!! I love the local food selections! Wonderful service and quiet atmosphere.Special Features:
- Putting Maine on the mapAlexandraDined on 7/25/2013The table side Caesar salad was an absolute delight for our eyes and taste buds, as our lovely waitress instructed us how we could make it ourselves at home. The salad itself and the homemade dressing was an mmm in every bite. And the $5 sangria special was an mmm in every sip. Our server was attentive and patient, sociable and knowledgeable - we couldn't think of a time when we had a better service experience. The rest of our meal was very good - scallops were cooked very well - not too raw or rubbery but just right. The desserts sounded phenomenal but we were too full to try them, but next time I would save room for the puff pastry filled with homemade ice cream with an amaretto drizzle. Decor was also nice. Found through Yelp reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.