The Chef & The Gardener
345 North St.
Saco, ME 04072Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Chef & The Gardener
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chefandgardener.com/
- Phone: (207) 282-9035
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM.
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM.
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Dinner: Friday,Saturday: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Glidden
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full service, from back yard BBQ"s to Dream Tent Weddings.
- Special Events: wine dinners offered throughout the winter, four courses, four wines.
cooking classes also available, small hands-on, paired with wines.
A word from The Chef & The Gardener
The Chef & the Gardener is a restaurant that believes dining out should be an enjoyable & exciting experience for everyone…no matter how they choose to eat. We make all of our menu items from scratch. In so doing we can assure those with allergies or dietary restrictions that they are not consuming any problem foods. Through our restaurant and our " healthy cuisine to go" We can even work with you to develop dishes that are specific to your needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Chef & The Gardener - Best Restaurants in Saco ›
The Chef & The Gardener reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (13)special occasion (10)romantic (5)notable wine list (5)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)good for groups (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Outstanding!Jen23Dined on 8/22/2013My friends and I had a lovely dining experience and hope to visit again in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!JeffDined on 8/21/2013Super food and super accommodating of gluten free diets. Waitress was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite!bpendleDined on 8/20/2013Great food with a very flexible staff and chef and super service. We feel like we are with friends now and are so comfortable when eating here. Our favorite restaurant by far!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/17/2013Arriving for a two week stay in Kennebunkport, we wanted a casual moderately priced place for a good meal. This place fit the bill! The food was very good, the menu was interesting and everything was locally sourced and delicious. The wait staff was outgoing and friendly with in depth knowledge of the menu and wine list. This is a great place for a casual and well prepared meal. It was a great find.Special Features:
- Food was goodfoodiefanDined on 8/9/2013The service was very good and our server, Emily, was very knowledgeable about the menu. The food was good, but plating could have been made a little more attractive. Also, what was ordered for sides was not what was delivered. Polenta was offered with my haddock, but mashed potatoes were served. All in all, it was a very pleasurable dining experience.Special Features:
- A true hidden gem.BarbaraVIPDined on 8/2/2013Tucked in the industrial section behind another building, this restaurant is worth the search. A Caesar salad was prepared at our table and it was the best one ever. Our chicken and steaks were cooked perfectly, and the mashed potatoes and the ratatouille were delicious. We will be returning for more dinners.Special Features:
- Great spot in SacoOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/30/2013Food and service were excellent and prices are very reasonable. Strongly recommend having the Caesar's salad for two made at your table. Went for dinner while on vacation in Maine and liked it so much we went back for lunch later in the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!!SacoloverDined on 7/27/2013The food was delicious!!! I love the local food selections! Wonderful service and quiet atmosphere.Special Features:
- Putting Maine on the mapAlexandraDined on 7/25/2013The table side Caesar salad was an absolute delight for our eyes and taste buds, as our lovely waitress instructed us how we could make it ourselves at home. The salad itself and the homemade dressing was an mmm in every bite. And the $5 sangria special was an mmm in every sip. Our server was attentive and patient, sociable and knowledgeable - we couldn't think of a time when we had a better service experience. The rest of our meal was very good - scallops were cooked very well - not too raw or rubbery but just right. The desserts sounded phenomenal but we were too full to try them, but next time I would save room for the puff pastry filled with homemade ice cream with an amaretto drizzle. Decor was also nice. Found through Yelp reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusually GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2013Unusually good because of the combinations of flavors and textures. My scallops with risotto looked and tasted exceptional. Scallops were sweet and soft - cooked perfectly. The risotto contained peas which blended with the creamy rice texture very pleasingly. My wife had the encrusted halibut which was correctly seasoned and had a wonderfully crunchy coating. I ordered the halibut chowder but sent it back because it was thinly milky vice on the creamy side and consisted of very little halibut but a lot of chunks of potato. Good wine list and terrific service.Special Features:
- We just moved to the Sacoduckie32Dined on 7/11/2013We just moved to the Saco area and can't believe our luck at having the Chef and the Gardener so close by!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden SecretOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/10/2013I have always had a good experiance here. Always great food and service. Very friendly.Special Features:
- Best Meal of the VacationExGeniusDined on 7/6/2013I took my very finicky eating girl friend (a Manhattan Foodie) on vacation to Maine. The food was simply incredible. The Tenderloin I had was perfectly medium rare, the salad's strawberry dressing was wonderful. She had the crab and tomato soup (would not stop humming while eating) and grilled vegetables. I am meat eater, but I tasted the squash on her plate, I could have skipped the steak and just gotten the squash. When I asked the waitress where we could go for a quite drink after diner, she asked all the right questions and had a few suggestions that were close. We are going back again next summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem, worth findingMBFMaven53VIPDined on 7/3/2013Off the beaten path in a residential location, the service and food were excellent. Tableside Caesar salad was excellent, meals are tailored to everyone's needs. Large portions, lots of flavor, reasonably priced. Staff was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local flavor; fresh ingredientsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/22/2013Nice place. No pretense just good quality food at affordable prices and genuine helpful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit...we'll be going back!beachDined on 6/8/2013First visit to The Chef & The Gardener was on a Saturday for lunch with adult daughter. Very impressed with wait staff's friendliness, knowledge of the restaurant, menu, where the food is purchased, etc. Everything was delicious, presentations were unique, but not over-the-top pretentious. Quality of food was very fresh and worth every penny. Plan to return for dinner very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really want to like thisSacogalDined on 5/12/2013We really want to like this restaurant because we live in Saco, but every time we have been, it has been a disappointment. We went back on 10-20-2013 for brunch, thinking breakfast is pretty hard to mess up. Wrong. The chef messed up both of our egg orders (overcooked and overbrowned from too much butter), the "specialty" $4 bacon was overcooked and tasteless, and the hash was reminiscent of dog food. The staff, while awkwardly friendly, wasn't able to answer basic menu questions and kept trying to up-sell us on muffins and cinnamon rolls, even after we insisted we were not interested. We won't be back.Special Features:
- Nice and FriendlyPostalpaul56Dined on 4/27/2013This was a light and bubbly place with great people and a fantastic menu. Our servers were Erica and Emilee...they are what wait staff should be. Friendly,knowledgeable and fast. The food was excellent and my wife and I can't wait to go back in the summer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite restaurantsbpendleDined on 3/30/2013One of our favorite restaurants in town! WE love the ambiance and the service we always get---not to mention the food that isn't prepared until you order so that they can accomodate any diets, etc.Special Features:
- As always it was great alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013As always it was great always is I love this place..Special Features:
- Hidden gem....food fabulousCarolVIPDined on 3/9/2013Hidden gem....food fabulous for lunch- cant wait to try it for dinner!Special Features:
- Give it a try, you'll be back!MainergirlDined on 2/28/2013Glad for so many gluten free options. Service was great. Little variety to side dishesSpecial Features:
- Favorite place to eat forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/13/2013Favorite place to eat for my wife and I! Love everything, food, staff, it's all awesome!
- Everything at the Chef andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013Everything at the Chef and the Gardener is spot-on. I hope more people learn about this great spot!Special Features:
- This was our first dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2013This was our first dinner experience and The Chef & The Gardener. We go out on monthly dinner dates with our friends, so this was the spot chosen for January. There were 8 of us. Everyone loved it. It is a small place but we made reservations for the 8 of us. Food was great....from the appetizers through the desserts. Great variety to choose from. Our waitress was wonderful. Everyone in our party loved it and said they would definately dine there again.Special Features:
- Very hard/tricky to find,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/18/2013Very hard/tricky to find, especially in the winter, when we went. The entrance is a little scary; one door restaurant, the other door, literally right next to it, manicure salon. Don't want to eat in a nail salon!! Restaurant itself has a nice feel, very small with 9 tables or so. It was cozy on a cold winter's night. Sweet potato soup with curried apples was very good, as was the halibut with lemon panko. Both my daughter and my husband has the port osso bucco, which was huge! Fred Flinstone woudl have like it! Not a lot of options with sides - jasmine rice and the evenings sauteed veggies. It was vegan week and the only glitch was that the butter on the table was margarine - YUK!. They should have had a butter option as well. DSpecial Features:
- As advertised, local highDougDined on 1/5/2013As advertised, local high quality ingredients perfectly prepared. Average facility but super clean and well managed. Enjoyed stopping in on our way north.Special Features:
- We feel this truly is a neighborhooOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/3/2013We feel this truly is a neighborhood gem. We enjoy the atmosphere, most the the time it it has been fairly quiet which we like. Our compliments to the chef, the Pork Osso Bucco was fabulous. The service has always been friendly and prompt.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem! Wonderful food,staff,aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/13/2012Hidden Gem! Wonderful food,staff,atmosphere. Everything is fresh and local.Try this one for sure!Special Features:
- Chef David's food is alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/6/2012Chef David's food is always great. We enjoyed their fall wine dinner which had very nice pairings.Special Features:
- A Southern Maine gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012It was a great evening! My partner and I, along with the other couple (who live and work local) absolutely enjoyed ourselves. Service was top-notch, as was the food! It's not only a local gem, but a Southern Maine must. I only had two relatively minor suggestions; a little more fabric my help with the noise level, and I would have assumed the seafood stuff lobster special (which was delicious) would have had the shell cracked and lobster meat easily accessible. The lobster was laid out with only the body open with the seafood stuffing. When I ordered it I wasn't expecting to pick the meat out. I've already told a number a friends and co-works about what a great Southern Maine secret it is!!Special Features:
- Delious appetizers, entrees,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012Delious appetizers, entrees, dessert, and wine. Exceptional service! A hidden gem for sure!Special Features:
- This was our second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/17/2012This was our second visit to the restaurant and again we enjoyed it very much. I am surprised to see reviews that call the restaurant pricey as our bill was $80 for 2 appetizers, 2 glasses of wine, 2 entrees and 2 deserts. I personally think that is quite reasonable for meals that are all made cooked to order and deserts made in house as well. I was quite pleasantly surprised at the level of accommodation and awareness of my need for a gluten free meal. I was served a warm gluten free dinner roll and there were a couple of gluten free desserts on the menu. They had gluten free pasta and offered substitutes for ingredients in many dishes that were not gluten free. There were several vegetarian options on the menu as well. The service was verSpecial Features:
- When we got there they hadOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2012When we got there they had no reservation for us. We had to leave. This is the first time I have used open table . If this is your sevice I do not want to experiance it agaion. Very disapointed Joel
- The dining room is small andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2012The dining room is small and pleasant, the service was very good, but the food was a mixed bag. Although the quinoa tabouli was good, the caesar salad and ribeye steak were mediocre and the crabmeat-stuffed haddock was dry and lacking flavor. Overall a disappointing meal.
- A real surprise! ReasonablyDaveVIPDined on 9/27/2012A real surprise! Reasonably priced and one to go back to.Special Features:
- Hidden TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2012As soon as we entered the restaurant we were greeted by one of the hostess and she sat us down at a nice two top. We started by getting appetites which were crab cakes and some olive combination on bread. Both were very tasteful crab cakes had great spice and cooked well. Our entrees were the black angus rib eye which was perfectly cooked topped with onion and mushroom sauce, my girlfriend got tempah risotto which she enjoyed. We topped our meal off with a creme horn filled with vanilla ice cream topped with a delicious chocolate sauce. From start to finish the restaurant was a great find.Special Features:
- Excellent experience! LovedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2012Excellent experience! Loved the food, our server was very helpful, meal was timely. It's kind of a small intimate setting and would really POP! as truly romantic if there were just a couple of changes. First, table linens...there weren't any! The phone rang a few times while we were there, which seemed out of place & disturbing. Lastly, our server kept referring to us as "you guys", not exactly how I like to be addressed. But overall I will certainly go back. It was a bit of a splurge but worth it. The sign out front would have never been noticed by me, too small & not eye catching. Thankfully, someone told me about this great hidden secret!Special Features:
- Date night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2012We had a wonderful time! My Crab stuffed Haddock was wonderful! My husband loved his Rib Eye! It was a very nice evening, it's a great place for a nice quite dinner. The Service was excellent.Special Features:
- The restaurant is hard toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2012The restaurant is hard to find, once we found it we really enjoyed our dinner. We went early and had the pleasure of being the only ones in the place, needless to say the service was fabulous. Our food was good, servings were just right too. The ambiance in the place is nice, it might get a little more energetic with more guests.