2460 Wilshire Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90403Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.charlestonla.com/
- Phone: 3108282115
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 10:00am-2:00pm
Dinner: Monday – Saturday: 5:00pm –2:00am, Sunday: 5:00 pm –1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jet Tila
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music three nights a week and weekend brunch Jazz.
- Special Events: Book your private parties or table reservations.
A word from The Charleston
The Charleston is a sexy new nightlife venue featuring live entertainment and Chef Jet Tila’s take on American comfort food expressed in a menu of shared plates. Set in a lounge-style space with distinct 1930’s décor, the multifaceted venue will feature everything from nightly live entertainment such as burlesque, rock cover bands, DJs, jazz, karaoke, comedy nights, and dueling pianos. A dynamic culinary scene spotlights pop-up restaurants with special menus from guest chefs and Chef Tila himself.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Charleston reviews from OpenTable diners
- Charleston to your heart's content!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2013We liked the restaurant. It has an interesting look, good service and an unusual menu. The food was different and delicious. We each had an appetizer and an entrée. The servers were very helpful. Unfortunately, the music was loud and irritating. They turned it down somewhat when we asked, but it was still unpleasant. We could not tell if it was tied to the film playing on the screen. When we arrived, there was one table on the other side of the restaurant where there were two kids. They, too, contributed to the noise. Family-friendly is fine. Happens sometimes. Re the music, my suggestion would be that they keep the music very low in the early evening or off altogether, and then crank it up when the later crowd arrives.Special Features:
- Rather disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/7/2013When we arrived a 7;30 our waitress informed us that they were 'out of' the lobster and the roasted chicken. That was what we came for. It was to celebrate 2 friends who both had their bdays in late June. How could they have run out ...there were only 2 other people in the restaurant? The wait staff were very friendly and we loved the fried cauliflower that tastes like chicken wings. But come on; run out of lobster and chicken... Hardly. P.S. Interesting cocktails too
- Appetizers are amazingChairmanMaoVIPDined on 7/6/2013We had two apps (artichoke and pork belly) and they were delicious! The specialty cocktails we tried were good, but pretty pricey. My friends chicken & waffle was amazing, my brisket was ok. Their website advertised live music, but that never happened - just a dj at 10:00. Was kind of bummed about that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely noisy, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2013Place has a live band which is great for a might out, but bad for dinner. Had to yell at each other to barely understand each other. Menu looked good, bit wet had to leave since the noise was unbearable for dinner. Edamame took over thirty minutes and service was very slow. Really disappointed, was looking forward to trying it out.
- Great!hayamorDined on 5/26/2013The Charleston was amazing. The service was awesome and the Pork Belly was one of the best I've ever had. The jazz brunch was really special for my wife and me. The music was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedCharliesGirl51Dined on 5/12/2013IHad hoped, with the reputation of the chef, this would be a restaurant where I could take a friend for lunch, have a conversation without yelling, and that the jazz wouldn't be too loud. Unfortunately, the room is too small for a live group, and although we enjoyed our food, and the service was fine, we could not hear ourselves talk and ended up yelling at each other and cupping our ears all during lunch. We sat as far away from the band as we could, which put us by the kitchen door--not a great place to sit, and were unable to get a booth or table (in spite of resrvations weeks in advance) -- had to sit on high stools. This would be a fine place to meet a friend for a drink, but not a place to sit and enjoy a meal and conversation.Special Features:
- The Good: The food we hadDazedforDayz09Dined on 4/28/2013The Good: The food we had was delicious. The portion size was perfect. My boyfriend complained about how small the portions were; however, he left satisfied. I thought the portions were perfect, it's definitely not the magnanimous portions that we are used to in America. The jazz band was great. It made brunch much livelier. It was more intimate than other jazz brunches I've been too, because the locale was small. Our package included two blueberry muffins; however, they had run out. Instead we were offered a waffle sampler which was very delicious. The Bad: The one thing I did not like is that it took about 10 minutes from the time we were seated, until a server came over to offer us anything.Special Features:
- Went there for brunch. It'sAnonymousDined on 4/28/2013Went there for brunch. It's definitely more of a bar that I think they're trying to turn into a foodie/gastropub spot. We ordered the short rib benedict, maple glazed pork belly, and scotch egg. In all three dishes, I felt that the flavors were imbalanced, but cooked decently. For example, the Scotch egg itself was tasty but the frisee salad it came with was doused with too much dijon mustard dressing. It was overpowering. The short rib was tender but a bit flavorless. The pork belly was also tender but the maple glaze was overpowering. We were also given a blueberry muffin to start off with…which was most likely store bought and not made in-house. Otherwise, we enjoyed the live jazz..Special Features:
- Awesome jazz band at brunch.SMFoodieDined on 4/21/2013Awesome jazz band at brunch. Food was very good and you can't beat bottomless mimosas!Special Features:
- Friday night dining: TheyMDS56VIPDined on 4/19/2013Friday night dining: They mention the '30s and Jazz. No '30s theme, and certainly no jazz. About a 50% success rate on the food, a total failure on the bar. The good dishes were very good, but... Description of the bar (yes bar, not fine dining) needs to be updated to 90s bar deco, canned music without jazz, and understaffed serving staff. No owner or manager on duty and there really needs to be someone who cares.
- Great PerformanceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/17/2013Katelyn Clampett gave a stunning performance as a prelude to her upcoming concert with her new group, California Country Club. She's the most talented singer/songwriter I've seen come along in a long time. The Charleston has a nice setup for talented young performers to do their thing!
- The chef they rave about overOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/17/2013The chef they rave about over there is average at best. Plating was nice but taste was lacking in a few dishes. I almost doubt he was there, atleast i hope not. The best part about the entire thing is the jazz. Go for that if nothing else.Special Features:
- Great Jazz band, and awesomeBluemoonvaDined on 2/17/2013Great Jazz band, and awesome service from our server. However, our friends' table (our group had to sit at two separate tables, given the space) did not receive the same service (different server); theirs was slow and spotty. We were disappointed that the restaurant was out of French fries and English muffins during their brunch hours. One of my friend (at the other table) ordered one muffin (not English muffin) which, for some unexplained reason, did not come out until everyone else had almost finished their brunch. That was totally unacceptable! We would consider going back for the music and their unbeatable $10.95 bottomless Mimosas, not for the food.Special Features:
- The Tuesday night Jazz isOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/8/2013The Tuesday night Jazz is par excellence. Each time I have gone I have thoroughly enjoyed the quality of the musicians presented. The escalating cover charge is a bit disconcerting and the method of collection needs work, but that is the management. The music is wonderful. The food, well, another area that needs work. I had the margarita pizza that was tomato sauce and cheese, bland and tasteless. I had been there previously, last year, and it was wonderful so I don't know what happened. It is a local gem, in that live jazz is such a rare find. I hope that the management can produce a smoother vibe, improve the food and not begin to price this gem out the neighborhood's hands. I really enjoy the musicSpecial Features:
- It should not be called TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/3/2013It should not be called The Charleston Restaurant - it is a bar with bar food. Quite disappointed.
- Fabulous experience all acrossOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/30/2012Fabulous experience all across the board. Love the food and the sunday morning jazz was fantastic!Special Features:
- They have shows here on mostgaruDined on 12/4/2012They have shows here on most nights which is a fun way to enhance a meal or some drinksSpecial Features:
- Reservation was honored, butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/4/2012Reservation was honored, but placed in a bad location from the stage area...eventually this was corrected after making note that I requested a table near the band. The first table we were placed was one of those tall tables with benches, good for drinking but not dinner. The place was packed unexpectedly and I'm so glad we got our reservations through Open Table. Thank you, and we'll use it again...Special Features:
- Fun nights, so-so brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/2/2012Definitely a fun place in the evenings, but not so much for brunch - service was slow and not so friendly, the waitress forgot my friend's side of toast even though she asked for it twice, and it was COLD inside (probably not an issue in the summer, but we were there in December). Food was pretty good, but my smoked salmon scramble on toast was a little cold when it arrived. Try the place for an evening cocktail, but skip during the day.Special Features:
- EL POLLO LOCO HAS BETTER FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/2/2012The restaurant was out of 2/3 of the menu items. The food was HORRIBLE, the last time I had food that bad it was at a theme park. In addition to the food being terrible it's extremely overpriced. Everything on the menu including drinks had a detailed description of the ingredients that made it sound fabulous. Then the food and drinks came and we realized the food had been heated up probably from a package and the mixologist drink was just whiskey with sour mix. Really disappointing. If you're going here for the music don't eat the food and drink only wine or beer as they're clearly trying to make $ of the bar with weak pours and cheap liquor.
- Service was ok. I had to keepKutie0721Dined on 12/2/2012Service was ok. I had to keep waving down our waiter. The place is a bit small. The Jazz band was great. Great Music food is good.Special Features:
- The music is enjoyable, yetOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/2/2012The music is enjoyable, yet quite loud during brunch, so it's best if you're not trying to "catch-up" with a friend. Also, although the decor has a classier vide, the servers are not dressed as such. While sitting at a "high top stool" even with a reservation, I'd describe this brunch as casual. My pork benedict was delicious, however, I wish they'd make more laps for their bottomless mimosas. An empty glass for 5+ minutes was not my fav.Special Features:
- Skip this one.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/2/2012The food was mediocre and the service was AWFUL. They had one server for the entire restaurant, and it was packed. She couldn't keep up. The only saving graces were the bottomless mimosas (when we could get refills), and the jazz band, which was great. However, with the multitude of exceptionally good brunch spots in LA, I won't be returning to the Charleston.
- Too old for this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/28/2012Way too loud to be called a 'restaurant'. Much more like a bar for the very young scene. The food was decent, but the waitress forgot our drinks and ultimately comped them. Probably won't return.Special Features:
- Staff was inefficient andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/27/2012Staff was inefficient and disorganized. They did not even have a record of my reservation. It is the live music on Tuesdays that will bring me back in.Special Features:
- Food was DELICIOUS! If youOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/25/2012Food was DELICIOUS! If you are looking for a lounge with music that also serves Great Food--this is it. That said, we were looking for a slightly romantic, restaurant with lounge and that it is not. Decor from the waist up was nice, but the bare floors scream of old beer as well as the tiny "comedy club" size tables for listening to the musicians. I have a feeling that this place may need to decide what it wants to be or it may be in trouble!
- We had brunch with live JazzChrisVIPDined on 11/25/2012We had brunch with live Jazz music and bottomless champagne. Was great! would recommend and do again!Special Features:
- The Charleston was fair.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/20/2012The Charleston was fair. The food was good, but was very disappointed that they didn't have the olve appetizer at the beginning of the evening. Wine was super expensive, and they could have had a house red wine that was fairly priced. The chairs were extremely uncomfortable, especially sitting through two sets of music. We were sat right up in the front, and it was not a good thing for me because I wear hearing aids. My fault though for I should have asked for other seating. Kind of drab interior, and it was the music that brought the club to life & light.
- Thank you for providing aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/20/2012Thank you for providing a venue for great artists like Julie Kelly and Otmaro Ruiz! I would and have already recommended the place. The service was great and the place had a great vibe. Please continue your policy of excellent music-We need a place like yours. Thank You!Special Features:
- Great steak and eggs and awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/18/2012Great steak and eggs and awesome atmosphere with the jazz brunch!
- Great service - fun vibeLAFoodieVIPDined on 11/16/2012We ate early (after getting off work), so it wasn't too crowded yet. The restaurant is definitely set up for a late-night scene (DJ starting at 11). We had comfort food like mac and cheese, chicken and waffles, steak, and bread pudding for dessert. After having sampled Jet Li's food at the Food & Wine Festival, I knew the food would be good, and we weren't disappointed. The wait staff is REALLY nice and attentive - some of the best, friendliest service I've had in LA.
- Worst experience EVEROpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/11/2012Worst service I have ever HAD. I was seated in the front (part of 4) and was NEVER greeted. I had to flag the girl down for food and drinks (drinks that NEVER came!) Finally the Only wine that was available at the bar was conveniently the most expensive?!
- The music is outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/6/2012The music is outstanding. The bar noise can be a bit much, but the music is great. The food? fair to poor. The menu is changing, but some of the offerings are not tasty.Special Features:
- We went to the Sunday JazzOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/4/2012We went to the Sunday Jazz Brunch and had a great time. The band was outstanding and the singer was fabulous. A friend was here visiting from out of town so we wanted to do something different. It was very busy and the server was friendly and handling her tables. I would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Overpriced MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012The coupon I purchased was worth $90.00 and the menu was terrible! Who has Hot-dogs for Dinner in a Restaurant? The service was great-But the Menu needs to be improved. Not enough choices
- Nice Gastropub with Big Bar SceneOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/6/2012A nice neighborhood gastropub, that is more pub than restaurant as the menu is somewhat lean and the bar scene overpowers the dining room. That said, the food is above average in execution and occasionally inventive.Special Features:
- Loved the Jazz Music and amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2012Loved the Jazz Music and amazing musicians! Love to see more of it.Special Features:
- I would recommend the jazzOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2012I would recommend the jazz on Tuesday nights, however, it was way too noisy.
- Great food, service and ambiance.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/23/2012Great food, service and ambiance. I have been three times and have enjoyed it each time. The music was great.Special Features:
- very small room with constantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/23/2012very small room with constant loud jazz from brunch thru dinner. NOISY NOISY, you can't hear the person next top you talking (or yelling)Special Features: