The Cellar - Fullerton CA
305 North Harbor Blvd
Fullerton, CA 92832Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The Cellar - Fullerton CA
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cellardining.com/
- Phone: 7145255682
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday from 5:30PM to 9:00PM. Friday and Saturday 5:30PM to 10:00PM. Closed on Monday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, French, Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a Wine room that is Perfect for a Private Party environment. It seats a Maximum of 15 people. You can also enjoy our Dining room aas a Private Area for Larger Parties.
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Ellis 7145255682
A word from The Cellar - Fullerton CA
In 1969, artistic craftsmen of Disneyland fame created a romantic rendezvous in the cellar of the old California Hotel. The Cellar is the perfect setting for an intimate and romantic evening of fine dining. Patrons will find themselves enjoying fine French cuisine while comfortably seated in soft velvet-backed chairs upholstered in rich mellow leather and surrounded by a dimly lit interior. Intimate and cozy, the four dining rooms are elegant amid structured arches and cave-like walls, decorated with wine casks and silver lanterns. Culinary excellence abounds with only the finest and freshest foods prepared in a lighter version of classical French cuisine. The Cellar, winner of The Wine Spectator Grand Award, was selected in 1992 as one of the top six restaurants in the world for its outstanding wine list which currently features over 1300 selections from around the world. The Cellar is One of America's 10 Best French Restaurants, and Restaurant of the Year for 2005.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Cellar - Fullerton CA - Best Restaurants in Fullerton ›
The Cellar - Fullerton CA reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
romantic (53)special occasion (53)notable wine list (30)fit for foodies (24)neighborhood gem (22)late-night find (9)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- No recommendationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014The Cellar has been an institution in Fullerton, CA for many, many years. My wife and I have eaten there on many occations. They were just awarded Orange County best. We had a very bad experiance with sub standard food, bad service, several items had to be returned to the kitchen to be reworked. It appears that this is not the same Cellar as we have enjoyed in the past. It has been several years since our last visit.
- Hidden TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Food and service were great! Hidden location but worth the find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded Expectations!joshc320Dined on 9/6/2014Wife and I went in for wedding anniversary. Everything was amazing (including the mixed drinks from the bar!). Waiter was very professional but also made us feel like we've known him for years. The owner came by and made sure everything was good for us, overall just a great dining experience. The ambience and setting are very cool as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was bad.kevkodVIPDined on 9/6/2014Food was average. If they tell you to get the duck get something elaeSpecial Features:
- exquisitefiniky1Dined on 9/5/2014the only word that does any justice to The Cellar, is exquisite. some of the best food I have ever had cooked perfectly. I would recommend anyone interested in a fine dining experience to visit The Cellar restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful dinner but …CanuckDined on 9/5/2014The Cellar used to be the place to go in Fullerton for elegant dining but times have changed. The service staff is still good but not as polished. The food is still very good but not as diverse as in years past. I have no issues with the lack of brand name alcohol in the bar, but there should be consistency in the glassware used. One week my scotch is in a low ball, the next week it’s in a brandy snifter. Not a big deal but it indicates a lack of attention to detail. Customers wearing jeans and t-shirts in the dining room takes away from the atmosphere of dinning in a restaurant with so much fine history. Still my favorite restaurant in the area, and I will be back. However, I have to lower my expectations, which is a shame.Special Features:
- AwesomeBigsDined on 8/30/2014What a fantastic restaurant. We came for our anniversary and we were definitely impressed. Although a bit pricey, the food is absolutely amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a meal!BirthdayDined on 8/30/2014We went for my wife's birthday. We haven't stopped talking about it. It was a great experience. We had the lobster bisque, lamb, steak, chocolate soufflé and some great mixed drinks/ beer. The waitress was fantastic as was the manager. Extremely attentive. Can't say enough about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Grave Disappointmentpet4daisyVIPDined on 8/29/2014In the past the Cellar has been an outstanding restaurant with excellent service & wonderful food. Food is still great, but there has been a com-plete purge of wait staff (who treated us like we were Gods) and bartenders-thus less attentive, personalized service. Bartenders carried on a personal conversations rather than interacting with those at the bar. We asked the waitress if we could split the lobster bisque. She brought a bowl and 2 spoons rather than spliting it in the kitchen. We drink specific brands of alcohol & don't mind paying for them, BUT the Cellar no longer carries COMMON brands of liquor. An overall disappointing evening!! We won't be returning!
- Excellent foodFabulous1Dined on 8/27/2014The food, wine, and desserts are awesome! This place is a very special occasion restaurant so if you are celebrating a birthday or anniversary, the occasion is excellent! It is not a place where you can eat at every night unless you have a huge wallet. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulg4funDined on 8/26/2014Great food and good friendly service. We shared several different things on the menu. Plenty of food. Artichoke and Lobster Bisque my favorieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChangedChangedDined on 8/23/2014Had a special occasion dinner for 6 @ 8pm. First change was no "known" premium liquor. Meaning, no Tanqueray, Dewar's, and the like. Strange. Second, some unusual entree's, such as pork cheek & pork bellies. We ordered @ 8:45pm. Got our aps on time, but dinner was still not served by 10. Ryan, the owner was very apologetic, and did his best to make things right, for which I was appreciative. Things could have gone smoother if we were told the kitchen was having issues. Bad news never gets better with age. In short, a very disappointing eveningSpecial Features:
- Birthday dinnerfatherinlawDined on 8/22/2014Great menu, steak cooked to perfect temp. duck was very nice also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Cellar - FullertonidhrendurDined on 8/20/2014The food was excellent and the service was great. It was a wonderful experience dining there.Special Features:
- Will be sure to tell to stay awayeasygoer13Dined on 8/17/2014one of the most disappointing dinning experiences I have had in many a year. Special occasion arrived and were greeted by two nice but confused young boys. Reader Digest Version: 11 dinners 5 people complained of being salty....I had the duck and it was tough .....also had the bisque which was actually some of the best I have had but it appeared someone used a teaspoon and put in enough to only cover the bottom of the bowl but ....it had to be an error as there is no way it could have been a normal portion. At the end of the meal which was a special occasion the person who we were celebrating was the last to receive their desert Coffee was cold...could not get water without always asking and as salty as the food was it was neededSpecial Features:
- The Cellarenosteak1VIPDined on 8/16/2014Outstanding Service! They were very attentive and fun! Beautiful restaurant with great food. Nice for a special occasion.Special Features:
- "I can do that!"leslieadDined on 8/16/2014The food was wonderful. The ambiance on a very hot evening in summer was great, as we stepped down into the coolness of the wine cellar. If you want a nice place to actually talk with the people you came with this is a great choice. We had the Chateaubriand which was so tender it was like cutting butter. Our friends had the pork cheeks with the truffle mac & cheese. We all thought the pork cheeks, including our vegetarian friend, was the best! The truffle oil in the mac & cheese was a little overpowering, but overall tasty! The chocolate souffle was good, but the profiteroles were a disappointment as they were not your typical creme puff, but more a biscuit. The service was great, our waitress's motto seemed to be "I can do that!"Special Features:
- Poor foodFineDineDined on 8/16/2014Great Service... We dined with jimmy.... Had rib eye .. About as tasty as a sirloin steak... Wife had the duck while not greasy did not have that crispy skin that is a requirement
- Awesome foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014Pricey, but food and ambience are worth it on a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cellar diningdininginstyleDined on 8/15/2014The food was outstanding. However, our server Jimmy made it a night to remember. He was thoroughly professional and made us feel at home. He also conveyed the feeling he enjoy having us as guests. He answered our questions about the food and got an answer if he didn't know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE Cellar9MillDined on 8/9/2014The restaurant was AWESOME!! The food is top notch, the service is warm and inviting, knowledgeable while not being condescending. I don't drink but my lady had a love affair with the wine. the food is pricey but when you eat it you know where that money is going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening outReb13Dined on 8/8/2014The food here is good, but probably not worth the price without the atmosphere. I've been twice now and there's always good service, a quiet/romantic vibe, and excellent drinks. It might be quite worth the evening to skip the food and just enjoy the craft cocktails. I haven't tried that yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Took my fiance out for dinner and we both loved it! Great hidden location, worth the hunt. Food and atmosphere where great. Great place to take your significant other for special occasions.Special Features:
- Better than the food?butchVIPDined on 8/2/2014What could possibly be better than the food done to perfection? The service: personal, caring, prompt and unpretentious, with a delightful visit with the manager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuisaDined on 7/31/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at The Cellar. There was a wine tasting group in the main dining area. We asked to be seated in a small dining area adjacent to the bar. Very quiet. It was our wedding anniversary. Food is exquisite as well as the service. Very special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coming backOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014The Cellar used to be fabulous, lost it for awhile, and now is back just as good as ever. Younger, interested serve-persons help make it more user-friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceKaienaDined on 7/6/2014We chose this restaurant as a special place to celebrate my birthday, and it was the perfect choice. We had a wonderful time, enjoying everything, and deserving of special mention are the amazing one-of-a-kind specialty drinks we were served, these were the best we've had in a while. These drinks are served as cocktails and also paired with dinner. We were a little unwilling to have the drinks with dinner because we are wine lovers, but then decided to take a chance, and what a gratifying experience that was! This is a place worth visiting, the food is delicious, the service is top notch, the ambience is enjoyable (romantic, good background music, etc), the wine list is superb and the specialty drinks will blow your mind. We will be back!Special Features:
- Great Place for a Special OccasionRJW1Dined on 7/2/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday here and it was an overall great experience. The service was fantastic. Atmosphere is different than any other restaurant we've been. Food was delicious. The owner even came by several times to chat and thank us for coming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EmmsDined on 6/27/2014Great food, ambience and service. Andrew our server that night was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeJPAndersonVIPDined on 6/24/2014I have been a Cellar patron since before the Dudleys (current owners) and hence have seen alot of changes: going from the haute cuisine French style to the hidden speakeasy motif with cocktails and 30s jazz in the background. Their mixologist is awesome, and shaked up a "south side" that was a kiss of lemon and gin. I appreciate the fact they have maintained some of the vintage Cellar menu items such as escargot and lobster bisque. Unfortunately they did not have the Grand Mariner Souffle (but we were able to ask the chef to modify their Vanilla Soufle). Only draw back is the simplified wine list. This is obivous given the younger clientele the Cellar attracts with the cocktail culture, albeit approachable as an intro to wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, service & ambienceLove2trynewplacesDined on 6/20/2014Came here on a date and it was nicer tham expected. The food was fantastic, it had a lot of flavor and was just delicious. I would definitely come back. Its a very nice cozy place that's quiet although a bit too quiet as one might feel they are talking too loud. The date and I had a great time being our first time there. The truffle mac n cheese was awesome go to have that. Great place for a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in TownKeepITclassyDined on 6/6/2014My boyfriend and I stumbled upon this beautiful gem of a place. The drinks were great. The food was impeccable and the owner is a sweetheart. Can't wait to go again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014We used to go more often, about 6 years ago. The service is really good but we both were disappointed with the food for the price. If we are paying over $150 for a diner for 2 we expect the food to be great, and it wasn't.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2014Perfect combination of great food, ambiance, hospitality, and professionalism. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1219 reviews are from the The Cellar - Fullerton CA reviews archive.
- Downstairs at the CellarGatoDined on 5/23/2014We loved dining at the Cellar. Couldn't find it at first, but you have to go downstairs (duh!) to get to it. The menu was excellent and the service wonderful. Would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/22/2014Not only was the food and atmosphere amazing, but the bar is so fun. They have a drink called the Jedi mindtrick and they will make you a cocktail based upon your likes/dislikes. They nailed each time. I can't wait to just go for cocktails with the girls next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightrevcampDined on 5/22/2014The staff was attentive. The food was excellent and good size portions, though not large. The selections were fun, and the suggested pairings of wine and drinks were a great addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real FindHonestDiner001Dined on 5/21/2014Overall, aside from being ripped off credit for dining, this place gets a solid 4. The Cellar always has good food, and the Wednesday wine deal makes the wine prices more reasonable. Do not come here on holidays when there is a "holiday menu." I know better because that was a very expensive meal, and this is coming from someone who doesn't mind dropping $100-200 on occasion for dinner. This gets a solid 4 Star for the restaurant, but they took my money (for the meal), then didn't give me credit for dining through Open Table (and yes, I did use my reservation...). I don't take kindly to people ripping me off my rewards. That earns a 1 Star for this visit, not to mention the service could have been better...Special Features:
- Great night.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/21/2014The service was great right from the beginning. From Rich the bartender making great recommendations to our server Monica taking great care of us. Great food, great service great ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/21/2014We haven't been in for about 7 years but the food was still great. The atmosphere has changed a little. Not as formal as it used to be, but we will continue coming.Special Features: