The Cellar - Fullerton CA
305 North Harbor Blvd
Fullerton, CA 92832Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The Cellar - Fullerton CA
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cellardining.com/
- Phone: (714) 525-5682
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday from 5:30PM to 9:00PM. Friday and Saturday 5:30PM to 10:00PM. Closed on Monday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, French, Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a Wine room that is Perfect for a Private Party environment. It seats a Maximum of 15 people. You can also enjoy our Dining room aas a Private Area for Larger Parties.
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Ellis 7145255682
A word from The Cellar - Fullerton CA
In 1969, artistic craftsmen of Disneyland fame created a romantic rendezvous in the cellar of the old California Hotel. The Cellar is the perfect setting for an intimate and romantic evening of fine dining. Patrons will find themselves enjoying fine French cuisine while comfortably seated in soft velvet-backed chairs upholstered in rich mellow leather and surrounded by a dimly lit interior. Intimate and cozy, the four dining rooms are elegant amid structured arches and cave-like walls, decorated with wine casks and silver lanterns. Culinary excellence abounds with only the finest and freshest foods prepared in a lighter version of classical French cuisine. The Cellar, winner of The Wine Spectator Grand Award, was selected in 1992 as one of the top six restaurants in the world for its outstanding wine list which currently features over 1300 selections from around the world. The Cellar is One of America's 10 Best French Restaurants, and Restaurant of the Year for 2005.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Cellar - Fullerton CA - Best Restaurants in Fullerton ›
The Cellar - Fullerton CA reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (66)special occasion (66)notable wine list (37)fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (27)late-night find (10)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Perfect for a romantic dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014My wife and I were looking for something different with more charm and a romantic atmosphere and that is what we experienced at the Cellar. Our server was polite, attentive and friendly. We also enjoyed the jazz that was playing at the right level to be able to listen to and or also to tune out to enjoy quiet conversation. The food was well prepared and the presentation was beautiful. We ordered dessert (my favorite part) and it was decadent. We have already decided to take some friends and family back for the holidays. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointed with the foodHappyDay1234Dined on 11/22/2014My husband and I were celebrating a new business venture and were looking forward to a nice dinner at the cellar. We had been to the cellar about 10 years prior and remembered the lobster bisque being incredible. We were seated by a large party that was very loud, so it was difficult to talk to one another. We both ordered the beef tenderloin medallions and it was awful. I have never had such a salty meal. My husband likes his food seasoned more than I but even he could barely eat it as well. It was a shame because we were both really hungry and looking forward to a nice meal. Our server was great but the food was not.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Excellent service. Waitress very attentive but not intrusive. Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Interior needs renovation.LeeshDined on 11/15/2014Our reservation was for 5:30. We arrived about 12 minutes early and were turned away. What, we couldn't sit in the bar and have a drink? Found it somewhat irritating that the Cellar has a dress code but ended up sitting in a booth that had black duct tape covering ripped seats. OH PLEASE! Our waiter, Jimmy was very attentive without being overbearing. Thank you! We started with escargot which was good but the Lobster bisque was too salty. Our entrée, Chateaubriand was excellent . Complimentary Crème Brule very good, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasechooseanicknameDined on 11/9/2014I had a reservation for eight here for my wife's birthday but two people couldn't make it. It looked like they were ready to shove us all into a single booth which was large but really not meant for more than six. Dinner was nice, and the waiter was very helpful and patient with us. The food was good but nothing above and beyond what the price would dictate. There were two mistakes, my steak was cooked to medium instead of medium rare, and the waiter broke a glass on the table which shattered over my plate. They ended up re plating my food and I didn't end up eating any glass. Beyond that it was a very nice evening with friends.Special Features:
- Cellar SuperbAlbabeDined on 11/7/2014We were looking forward to a nice meal, nice ambiance at a local place that we could put on the list as a must frequent eatery. The Cellar just entered the list and is fighting for a spot at the top. Our first experience was outstanding, the ambiance was inviting and unique, the server had a great attitude and personality as we messed with him, the food and wine were spectacular. All of us in the party were very pleased. Looking forward to going back...soon!!! Thank you for being there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014the restaurant definitely lacked supplies. they didn't even have coffee nor vodka that really should be available in a French restaurant.
- So fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2014Halloween was an especially fun night to experience the great food and ambience of this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Halloween dinner performanceoldguyDined on 10/29/2014I receive emails from the Cellar. We go on special occasions, and when the mood strikes us. The food has always been great. Since Ryan bought the restaurant 10 years ago it has become more welcoming. With so many fine restaurants closing it is great to see the Cellar doing so well. The Halloween dinner combined fine dining with a lively interactive performance. We and another couple went there for these reasons, and were very pleased.Special Features:
- Great find!BingelaugherVIPDined on 10/25/2014The location is pretty difficult to find (it's underground) but once you find it, you won't be disappointed. I started with the french onion soup and had the beef medallions with spaetzle all of which was amazing! My boyfriend had the pork cheek with mac 'n cheese - fantastic!! The cocktails are all craft, and very delicious. Great wine menu with different price points. Our server was awesome as well - very sweet and attentive.Special Features:
- Best Dinner Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!JmhergeyVIPDined on 10/25/2014The best place to eat hands down. Everything was fabulous! Service great, food excellent cant say enough good things.Special Features:
- Quirky fun interior and tasty foodBeancurdturtleDined on 10/24/2014the food is quite enjoyable, actually very good for the most part, thou perhaps a little old school for hipster foodies. Decor is quirky fun.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was not happyDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 10/22/2014I've been here a couple of times before and was very pleased with everything. This visit not so much. I have to start out by saying the service was excellent. Our waiter was very knowledgable and pleasant. The food was very mediocre. To start off the bread was cold and unimaginative, very basic and bland. The lobster bisque had good flavor but was way too salty. The duck breast was flavorless and cold, I did not like this dish at all. The truffle mac and cheese was over powered by the truffle flavor and I was only able to eat a couple bites. Overall I did not enjoy this visit and I don't think I will go back as it is already out of my way.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014My wife had stomach issues after dinner. My filet was very good, down a notch from great earlier experiences. The puff pastry wasn't very puffy. Our past experience several months ago also seemed to be a notch down from visits over the past five years or so.Special Features:
- Superb FoodCarolTVIPDined on 10/15/2014Took my husband and 2 adult so s for his birthday. Odered 4 different meals and all were excellent. Service was extremely good as well. Wine wednesdays half off with an impressive list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Lobster BisqueByrdman77Dined on 10/11/2014Everything we had was incredible however, the Lobster Bisque is what will go down in history as the best Bisque in the business, hands down.Special Features:
- Highly recommendedIheartfoodDined on 10/11/2014The lobster bisque was to die for! Wonderful dining experience. All the staff was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for date night.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/10/2014took my husband there for his birthday. It was good that they accommodated my request for a private booth, but I wish they put a candle on our dessert or said a greeting during or after dinner or something. The host that seated us even asked us if we were celebrating anything special. Other than that, food and overall dining experience were pretty good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- romantic diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014My wife and i celebrated our 1 year anniversary at the Cellar and we are so happy we chose this restaurant . Our server Laura was outstanding,our table was romantic ,and the food was perfectly doneSpecial Features:
- Romantic dinnerNewleweds1Dined on 9/20/2014The Cellar is a perfect romantic dinner and drinks place. The food was amazing! I had the salmon, Mac and cheese, and French onion soup. The cocktails are creative and tasty. The service was divine! Everyone makes you feel like a part of the family. The staff talks with you and were all exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good time, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014Second visit to The Cellar - My daughter's favorite place for celebrating her birthday. 7 people, everyone had something different and all were wonderful. A little bit challenging for my 90-year old mom to navigate but the staff was wonderful about helping us with the service elevator.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No recommendationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014The Cellar has been an institution in Fullerton, CA for many, many years. My wife and I have eaten there on many occations. They were just awarded Orange County best. We had a very bad experiance with sub standard food, bad service, several items had to be returned to the kitchen to be reworked. It appears that this is not the same Cellar as we have enjoyed in the past. It has been several years since our last visit.
- Hidden TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Food and service were great! Hidden location but worth the find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded Expectations!joshc320Dined on 9/6/2014Wife and I went in for wedding anniversary. Everything was amazing (including the mixed drinks from the bar!). Waiter was very professional but also made us feel like we've known him for years. The owner came by and made sure everything was good for us, overall just a great dining experience. The ambience and setting are very cool as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was bad.kevkodVIPDined on 9/6/2014Food was average. If they tell you to get the duck get something elaeSpecial Features:
- exquisitefiniky1Dined on 9/5/2014the only word that does any justice to The Cellar, is exquisite. some of the best food I have ever had cooked perfectly. I would recommend anyone interested in a fine dining experience to visit The Cellar restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful dinner but …CanuckDined on 9/5/2014The Cellar used to be the place to go in Fullerton for elegant dining but times have changed. The service staff is still good but not as polished. The food is still very good but not as diverse as in years past. I have no issues with the lack of brand name alcohol in the bar, but there should be consistency in the glassware used. One week my scotch is in a low ball, the next week it’s in a brandy snifter. Not a big deal but it indicates a lack of attention to detail. Customers wearing jeans and t-shirts in the dining room takes away from the atmosphere of dinning in a restaurant with so much fine history. Still my favorite restaurant in the area, and I will be back. However, I have to lower my expectations, which is a shame.Special Features:
- AwesomeBigsDined on 8/30/2014What a fantastic restaurant. We came for our anniversary and we were definitely impressed. Although a bit pricey, the food is absolutely amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a meal!BirthdayDined on 8/30/2014We went for my wife's birthday. We haven't stopped talking about it. It was a great experience. We had the lobster bisque, lamb, steak, chocolate soufflé and some great mixed drinks/ beer. The waitress was fantastic as was the manager. Extremely attentive. Can't say enough about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Grave Disappointmentpet4daisyVIPDined on 8/29/2014In the past the Cellar has been an outstanding restaurant with excellent service & wonderful food. Food is still great, but there has been a com-plete purge of wait staff (who treated us like we were Gods) and bartenders-thus less attentive, personalized service. Bartenders carried on a personal conversations rather than interacting with those at the bar. We asked the waitress if we could split the lobster bisque. She brought a bowl and 2 spoons rather than spliting it in the kitchen. We drink specific brands of alcohol & don't mind paying for them, BUT the Cellar no longer carries COMMON brands of liquor. An overall disappointing evening!! We won't be returning!
- Excellent foodFabulous1Dined on 8/27/2014The food, wine, and desserts are awesome! This place is a very special occasion restaurant so if you are celebrating a birthday or anniversary, the occasion is excellent! It is not a place where you can eat at every night unless you have a huge wallet. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timehungryseanDined on 8/26/2014went to the cellar with small party bit hard to find but found it ambiance: is a cute place with themed interior and have great ambiance, but smell bit dusty? maybe because is in ground level? food: started out with date and bacon to be safe, french onion wasn't great, and chateaubriand looked amazing but was bit salty service: kind service but took loooooong time to be seated and it wasn't busy atSpecial Features:
- wonderfulg4funDined on 8/26/2014Great food and good friendly service. We shared several different things on the menu. Plenty of food. Artichoke and Lobster Bisque my favorieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChangedChangedDined on 8/23/2014Had a special occasion dinner for 6 @ 8pm. First change was no "known" premium liquor. Meaning, no Tanqueray, Dewar's, and the like. Strange. Second, some unusual entree's, such as pork cheek & pork bellies. We ordered @ 8:45pm. Got our aps on time, but dinner was still not served by 10. Ryan, the owner was very apologetic, and did his best to make things right, for which I was appreciative. Things could have gone smoother if we were told the kitchen was having issues. Bad news never gets better with age. In short, a very disappointing eveningSpecial Features:
- Birthday dinnerfatherinlawDined on 8/22/2014Great menu, steak cooked to perfect temp. duck was very nice also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Cellar - FullertonidhrendurDined on 8/20/2014The food was excellent and the service was great. It was a wonderful experience dining there.Special Features:
- Will be sure to tell to stay awayeasygoer13Dined on 8/17/2014one of the most disappointing dinning experiences I have had in many a year. Special occasion arrived and were greeted by two nice but confused young boys. Reader Digest Version: 11 dinners 5 people complained of being salty....I had the duck and it was tough .....also had the bisque which was actually some of the best I have had but it appeared someone used a teaspoon and put in enough to only cover the bottom of the bowl but ....it had to be an error as there is no way it could have been a normal portion. At the end of the meal which was a special occasion the person who we were celebrating was the last to receive their desert Coffee was cold...could not get water without always asking and as salty as the food was it was neededSpecial Features:
- The Cellarenosteak1VIPDined on 8/16/2014Outstanding Service! They were very attentive and fun! Beautiful restaurant with great food. Nice for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Family special occasion restaurantBiscuitVIPDined on 8/16/2014We have been going to the Cellar for years. The food is consistently good and the service top notch. Not too creative, but an excellent occasion restaurant with a menu for everyoneSpecial Features:
- "I can do that!"leslieadDined on 8/16/2014The food was wonderful. The ambiance on a very hot evening in summer was great, as we stepped down into the coolness of the wine cellar. If you want a nice place to actually talk with the people you came with this is a great choice. We had the Chateaubriand which was so tender it was like cutting butter. Our friends had the pork cheeks with the truffle mac & cheese. We all thought the pork cheeks, including our vegetarian friend, was the best! The truffle oil in the mac & cheese was a little overpowering, but overall tasty! The chocolate souffle was good, but the profiteroles were a disappointment as they were not your typical creme puff, but more a biscuit. The service was great, our waitress's motto seemed to be "I can do that!"Special Features: