The Cellar (FKA The Wine Cellar)
317 Sherman Avenue
Coeur D'Alene, ID 83814Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
The Cellar (FKA The Wine Cellar)
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thewinecellarcda.com/
- Phone: 2086649463
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Northwest
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live Jazz and Blues Nightly
A word from The Cellar (FKA The Wine Cellar)
The Cellar (FKA The Wine Cellar), not just a restaurant, is rather a place for old friends to meet and new bonds to be formed. We offer a relaxed and pleasant environment for your special night out, or any night out. Come and experience The Cellar, and you will see why it has been one of Coeur d’Alene's top night out destinations for over 20 years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Cellar (FKA The Wine Cellar) - Best Restaurants in Coeur d’Alene ›
The Cellar (FKA The Wine Cellar) reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (18)special occasion (13)romantic (11)fit for foodies (10)good for groups (10)neighborhood gem (9)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Never disappointsMikeVIPDined on 9/9/2014Great wine, good service and terrific food. Everyone was very friendly. A must!Special Features:
- DisappointmentCookallthetimeDined on 9/8/2014I ate here ten years ago but after my recent meal I would not return. The salad was flavorless. The pasta was gummy. The service was good and my wife's pizza was fair.Special Features:
- Great main courseTreasureHuntressDined on 8/29/2014Our main course and the service were the winners at our visit to the Cellar. The salads and desserts could use some improvement. Overall, we had a lovely dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice facility, food just OKTallPhilVIPDined on 8/23/2014we had hangar steak and the salmon on top of orzo, both pretty ordinary. service was fine but had to ask for attention a couple of times.
- Ok, better choicesafbfDined on 8/17/2014Beer taps were all down, never received part of order, etc. It was pleasant, wine sampler was cute bot very expensive. Better choices in town.
- DisappointingLuvtoeatDined on 8/16/2014This was our 2nd visit and the service problem we had the first time was still present. The atmosphere was nice enough to try it again. That was probably a mistake. The food was hit and miss with our party of 5. The pesto pasta that was ordered was bland and served well after the others had their meals. While the salmon cakes and bouillabaisse were tasty the flatbread pizzas were doughy and bland. The Caesar salads we ordered were excellent. There is a serve yourself wine bar which is cool in theory but empty bottles and lots of fruit flies were a big turn off. Even the wines from the serve yourself bottles tasted a little off, almost as though too much air had gotten to them. That said, a pleasant dining experience was not had by all.
- Very nice placeBaxterDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I have been coming to Couer d' Alene for several years and enjoy the Sherman avenue area. The Cellar is an exceptional restaurant with tasteful and interesting dishes all presented in an upscale environment. They have a good wine selection and reasonable prices. After diner it is easy to pop downstairs for a night cap and some live music. I have been to this restaurant twice and both time the server (different one each time) was polite, funny and engaging without being intrusive. We will be returning, thank you for the excellent time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014We all had something different and we all had a fabulous meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine, Dine, Divine.MrFowlDined on 8/5/2014Best restaurant in Coeur D'Alene? Best restaurant in C'DA. I've skipped past this place so many times while taking my daughter on a walk, but a on a whim I decided that our family should go out. I doubt The Cellar could do anything unpleasant even if you asked them to. From the most friendly servers, to food that just can't be beat; I ordered a Lamb Shank and that meat just fell off the bone and melted in my mouth. They catered to my one year old's obsession for berries, mixed a killer drink for my wife, and had a variety of my favorite Whiskey I hadn't tried before. I'm glad we live close enough to walk because even if I wasn't planning on drinking I couldn't resist. This is a place for anyone who wants a good drink and better meal.Special Features:
- Just a Great EveningWinersDined on 7/18/2014The fun started with the wine tasting. Excellent suggestions from our waiter Nick. We had the Grill Sampler with the four sauces. The Whiskey Peppercorn and Huckleberry were outstanding. Just a fun evening and we will do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experienceDiane509Dined on 7/4/2014Made a reservation for 4th of July to have dinner before the fireworks. Unexpected great music downstairs. Our meal was great. We started with gazpacho and a Caesar salad The special was Prime Rib and I have been so disappointed in Prime Rib lately, but this was superb. 10 oz cooked to perfection. Veggies under were fresh and properly cooked al dente with savory potatoes on the side that seemed roasted and herbed. Hubby had Papardelle Bolognase which tasted the way it was supposed to ... very delicious, Italian style. We also enjoyed a flight of reds that meshed seamlessly with our meals... yummy. Love this place and the music was fabulous.Special Features:
- Great bartender!foodiEATheartDined on 6/26/2014Our bartender, Casey, was fabulous! Very attentive & helpful with suggestions. He really added to our fun-filled evening! The host was also wonderful & very accommodating with our several changes in location to satisfy the group. A relaxing, upscale atmosphere with a superb menu selection. A definite treasure in the downtown CDA scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience!epicure16Dined on 6/7/2014The food was excellent and the staff was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014Our meal was superb and our server was perfect. Her name was Mindy and she did everything to make our night special. We were celebrating my sister's 50th birthday and the night was perfect! So glad that they accept Passport as that made our dinner (which I paid for even better). Thanks Mindy!Special Features:
- Food Good; Service No SoArleneVIPDined on 5/26/2014The evening we dined at The Cellar, we were one of two other couples in the restaurant. Even though quiet at the restaurant, we waited at least 10 minutes for our server to arrive to introduce themselves and ask if we wanted a beverage. After that we were rushed to place our order - not sure why since there were still just the six of us in the restaurant for an early dinner. Salads, salmon and pasta dishes were good but there are other restaurants in the area that offer food just as good with better service. Maybe an off night for The Cellar but first impressions last a lifetime.
- Fun place to eat!loveNWgemsDined on 5/23/2014A very enjoyable ambience was enhanced by the live music played while we were dining, which made the experience even better. The appetizer was delicious, we order a dinner special for two where the meat was done exactly to our preferences with dipping sauces that I wanted to bring home with us! Even with big appetites we managed to bring home enough to share the next evening. This was our second trip to The Cellar and we would recommend others to give it a try!Special Features:
- The following 89 reviews are from the The Cellar (FKA The Wine Cellar) reviews archive.
- cross your fingersfoodandfunDined on 4/26/2014Both the food and the atmosphere at The Wine Cellar are wonderful. The service left much to be desired, we were very dissapointed. Hopefully it was just a bad night and won't be repeated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Will definitely come back. I got engaged here and it was perfect!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Cellar I've Been In.NesspraDined on 4/24/2014The Cellar was a great find. They had an excellent array of salads and a good choice or appetizers. We shared a salad and a pizza for dinner and both were delicious. The wine menu was intense, so much to choose from. They had local live music acts, abit loud for dining but decent music. Our waitress was friendly and energetic. We had a great time here. Definitely worth checking out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Par excellenceIBSleepyDined on 3/26/2014Great place, great food, great ambiance. What more can I say? Definitely will recommend and return!Special Features:
- Dueling pianosgreenfishgirlDined on 3/2/2014The piano entertainment was great, although not much dueling going on. The food and service were excellent. My only complaint is that I made a reservation one week in advance, requesting piano side seating, but our table was toward the back. We were a bit disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great !!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014Food was great, Music entertainment was great and Service was Great Had a great time, My daughters first time and was her Birthday She enjoyed the whole package !!! and she's from New YorkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week at The CellarBCS15Dined on 3/1/2014This was a great dinner followed by glasses of port while listening to Kosh. Thank you for a perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine and DineSweetbeeDined on 2/28/2014We were a party of four and we had never been there but the other couple had. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The ambiance was vibrant, but the place felt chilly, temperature wise. I guess enough people had said something because the staff must have raised the thermostat. The food was delicious and though I chose to share a meal with my husband I was quite please with the choice. The wine list was extensive, and expensive, but I managed to fine a bottle that was within my price range and palatable, too. The entrainment added to the experience of the evening. We left the place satiated and pleased with our choice of restaurant. I would highly recommend The Cellar to friends.Special Features:
- Terrific meals at The CellarMsJeannaDined on 2/22/2014The Cellar is one of my fave foodie places. Great ambience, fab food and a righteous wine list make this restaurant a must visit for anyone who values a carefully crafted meal with a great bottle of wine. The beautifully restored turn of the century setting has a hip vibe mixed with old brick, pressed tin ceilings and super sexy bar that draws you in from the street. This week's visit during Restaurant Week meant we got a great deal too! Just 28 bucks for a pre-fixe three course dinner that was really terrific. My recommendation? The mussels as my first course pick would make many a main course pale by comparison. Delicious deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014After have the restaurant recommended to us by friends, we were very disappointed. I had the lamb and while it was good, it came with a large mound of a mashed potato like substance that wasn't worth eating. There was a tiny amount of over peppered seasonal vegetables as well. My wife had a salad which, while tasty, was tiny. Expensive prices and not worth it at all.Special Features:
- A FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/8/2014The food is always great here and I love the atmosphere. Good wine is a pluss too! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience, musicAnnabelleDined on 1/25/2014The live bands are always a fun treat here and the decor is great. Nice place to drink wine and have fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy Window TablehappycampersDined on 1/24/2014We were fortunate to have a relatively quiet window table in the corner front upstairs. Had we been seated downstairs (music) or in the larger area upstairs (large group tables), we would have had a hard time conversing. We each had a pizza which were good, but I'd give the caesar salad a miss next time (my fault for ordering it... there isn't much you can do to make a caesar salad special, and why does every restaurant offer one?)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal, Poor serviceOneydeeDined on 1/17/2014We had a server who missed the mark badly enough that much of the experience of enjoying our dinners was ruined. Forgot our salads to start. After 15 minutes of waiting I had to flag her down to inquire about the salads arriving before the entrees. Server looked surprised and embarrassed and immediately hustled off to get the salads. We no sooner got them with her apologies than the entree's arrived. The (different) server who brought those looked embarrassed too but just stacked the plates and left. By the time we finished our salads the entrees were cold! The food was good (albeit cold) but we never saw our original server back at the table until we finished. Final straw was the bill came and was inaccurate. Disappointing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedMountaineerDined on 1/15/2014Based on Wine Spectator recognition and recs from friends we expected more. Bouillabaise was good, but portion was quite small for all three who ordered it. Two of our party ordered the Elkburger and were pleased with it. Waiter seemed inexperienced and was not as familiar with the wine list as one would expect. Prices were reasonable; atmosphere was unremarkable. We dined on the main floor. Service is also available downstairs, so I cannot offer an opinion there. We will give it another try, however. The neighborhood is fun and we may have hit them on an off night.
- wife's birthdayBayleeDined on 12/28/2013We had dinner for my wife's birthday. We asked to sit downstairs, but were told there were no open tables. When we went to get our wine, the room was less than 1/2 full. The service was slow, at best. The time we were seated, to the time we left, was just short of 2 hours. The food was better than average, and was very well presented.Special Features:
- Outstanding experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/27/2013We loved everything about our evening. Our waitress was outstanding and we loved the music! Great food!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere! Our dinnerLarissaDined on 12/26/2013Great atmosphere! Our dinner was served in a timely manner and was hot and very flavorful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine CelkarJaegerDined on 12/12/2013Large group celebrating Christmas and music much too loud. Had to shout to be heard by others at the table. We will not sit downstairs again. Food and drinks delicious. However garlic mash potatoes had so much garlic it was hot. And I'm a garlic lover. We will try again, we are locals and want this restaurant to be a success for our community. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/10/2013The over all experience was not that great. Our host sat us in a very crammed location that was very loud even after we left our reservation and told her it was a special occasion and would like a nice private area. Our waiter had zero personality, never offered us any specials, seamed to just want to get us in and out of there and it was very time-consuming to get new drinks. The food was okay but not that great for this kind of a restaurant.Special Features:
- Rich's ReviewRichOverlinDined on 11/23/2013The food was very good,not much of a seafood selection so my wife was limited on her choices. I'm a meat and potatoes guy so the menu worked for me. The service was good, but the customer service was lacking. I believe the waiters/waitresses should be adding a personal touch rather than just going through the motions. The ambiance was just right. Their piped in music was not my choice of music, but not worth worrying about. We were seated in the lower level and when the live music started it was to loud for us to carry on a conversation, so we left. Good music, just to loud for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceKKELLYDined on 11/15/2013Had a great dinner.. Room was a bit cold but we were the first ones to sit down for that evening. Loved our server. She was probably one of the best we have every had. Very friendly, prompt and just a very pleasant girl. We had the "sampler" platter and what a great choice it was.... Next visit will be to do some wine tasting as we were not aware of the new set up down there. Had been there in the past and it was way too noisy for us but we will give it another try now that it seems to have changed for the better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Naomi rocks!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/12/2013As always, Naomi was awesome and the server she assigned to us was outstanding! She was not only patient with our (5) Guaudalajara guest with broken english, but she was very patient, accomendating and thoughtful with us as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, music TOO LOUDJamesVIPDined on 10/16/2013The food was wonderful, but the guitarist was too loud. We could not converse at the table! visiting from out of town, liked the restaurant, but we could not talk with friends we hadn't seen for several years because the live guitarist was playing for a large venue, rather than an intimate crowd. Restaurant music should be background entertainment, not what we experienced.Special Features: