The Cellar Bistro
132 N. Hale
Wheaton, IL 60187Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Cellar Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thecellarbistro.com/
- Phone: 6306536299x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm -9:00pm, Sunday: 11:30am-9 pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kathleen Lewis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We will be happy to deliver any of our freshly made food for your next party or luncheon.
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties are welcome on Saturdays and Sundays. Enjoy the entire restaurant for your next event. Baby showers, bridal showers, anniversaries & more. Feel at home in the beautiful ambiance of The Cellar Bistro.
- Private Party Contact: Stephanie 6306536299x
- Special Events: May 13: Wine Dinner -Spain
June 10: Wine Tasting - France
July 22: Wine Dinner - Australia
August 12: Wine Tasting - Napa California
September 16: Wine Tasting - Italy
October 14: Wine Dinner- Germany
November 11: Wine Tasting - Chile
December 9: Wine Tasting - France
- Cross Street: Wesley
- Public Transit: The downtown Wheaton Metra Station is 2 blocks west of The Cellar Bistro.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking and a public lot make parking easy. Parking deck is on the west side of the restaurant. Handicap street parking is on the NE corner of Hale & Wesley.
A word from The Cellar Bistro
A wonderful little gem in downtown Wheaton just 2 blocks from the Metra. Serving delicious, homemade dishes using preservative free ingredients and hormone/anti-biotic free beef, pork, bison, chicken and eggs. Fresh fish featured weekly, live music every Monday night, a great wine list and quaint sidewalk dining with alcohol service. We buy from businesses within our community, or from small businesses who are an integral part of their communities and try to have a positive impact on their environment. Opened in 2007, this husband & wife owned restaurant was nominated for Restaurant of the Year in 2010. You will be impressed with the ambiance of the small dining room, the personal, attentive service by the wait staff and the delicious menu options.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Cellar Bistro - Best Restaurants in Wheaton ›
The Cellar Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (24)romantic (16)special occasion (15)great for outdoor dining (10)great for lunch (10)notable wine list (9)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Enjoyable dinner for twoKb78Dined on 10/11/2014Went here on a Saturday night. I was able to book the reservation for 6:45 the night before for a table for two. It was full but not crowded. We were able to carry on a conversation with out feeling drowned out by the people around us. The food was cooked fresh. You can tell right away when you eat it. Nothing was made before hand. The food does take a little longer to serve because it is cooked from scratch but is worth the wait. Some of the bar drinks were a little pricey but you come to expect this at a place like this. I asked for a recommendation on appetizers and had polenta. I never had it before and it was good. I would defiantly come back again for a special event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Meal. Good ServiceBethRoseDined on 9/18/2014I hadn't dined at Cellar Bistro in awhile. We were seated right away at a comfortable window table. Our server was friendly. We started with housemade hummus, not my favorite. I prefer it creamier but the pita and raw veggies served with it were fresh. Our salads were ample. The wedge is served as a deconstructed salad with dressing and blue cheese on the side. The beet salad was good with red and golden beets though not quite enough of them. The tomato bisque soup was surprisingly spicy or peppery tasting, a bit too much for me. It was served with 2 small pieces of thin French bread served without butter. My husband ordered penne pasta which he enjoyed. We enjoyed our evening, but for us the food was just ok.Special Features:
- Disappointed!CulinaryPatronDined on 9/6/2014Have been here at least 1/2 dozen times. Have not been here in probably 6 months. Wow...menu changed, for the worse. Prices jacked up quite a bit. A 4 Oz Filet for $28?! had been earlier in the week to Capital Grille...$46 for a 10 oz filet that I thought was expensive...Cellar Bistro has them beat per ounce by 52%. Asked for bread and they said we usually don't do that an then brought out warm bread. Unfortunately, my wife who was the Great Fan of this restaurant, swore off it as well saying "we won't go back there." Disappointing to see restaurants change when they had a good thing!Special Features:
- Terriffic FoodItalian1Dined on 8/23/2014We go there quite often because every time we go the meal is delicious, it's quiet, and the have outdoor dining.Special Features:
- Absent serverOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/20/2014Good food, nice atmosphere, but just because you are a signal diner service should not be neglected.Special Features:
- Lovely BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014The food was delicious, the menu diverse and interesting, the salad choices wonderful. The wine list is balanced well for their menu.Special Features:
- Gluten Free FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014We had a group of 10 and the service and food were great. Also they have an interesting menu and are wise to GF concerns. I've eaten here for lunch too and it was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedEddybillDined on 7/26/2014We ordered our favorite pizzas and both were underdone. The crusts were doughy and the veggies were almost raw. We had reservations and when we arrived asked for an empty two-top table by the wall. We were told we couldn't have the table. It wasn't reserved but "it might be needed." We agreed to another table rather than further distress the obviously confused and inept hostess. We were then told two of the wines we selected from the list were "out" that evening. A thoroughly disappointing evening. We won't be back.
- SpartyBoilerVIPDined on 7/24/2014Have been to Cellar Bistro 2x before. Always a great meal and great service. Had the beet salad-excellent. Our table had the lamb ragu, Prawns and polenta and filet. All were excellent. Waitress is awesome and very attentive. Will continue to go the Cellar Bistro. It is a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Late evening dinner - Perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Flavorful, light dinner for two women. Enjoyed a delicious wine, and wonderful Brie appetizer. Loved the squash soup. So great to have fine and flavorful dining on a weeknight. Wait staff generous with table time.Special Features:
- Great ambiance, nice menuresiak1958VIPDined on 7/19/2014This was our first time, and we will return. Both soups -- tomato bisque and mushroom - were outstanding. Penne pasta was light but flavorful, pork medallions with sweet potatoes and kale. Solid wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little pizza'sBigT53VIPDined on 7/12/2014Some new wines to try. They still should upgrade their after dinner drink selection. The ice cream was some of the best we had in years. The fresh fruit was just great. Try it and you will like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night!LaurenDined on 7/5/2014My husband and I went to Cellar Bistro on a Saturday night and they had the front window table waiting for us. We had the bacon wrapped dates that were spectacular. My husband had a glass of wine that the waiter recommended and my husband enjoyed. I had the sangria and it was the only meh point of the meal. It was a bit too sweet, which is not usually a complaint of mine. I ordered the penne pasta with prawns- fabulous- and he got the sirloin which he really enjoyed. The setting is quiet and quaint, it was modern fare without being pretentious. Our waiter was great and the prices were what you'd expect. I would absolutely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!MelBDined on 6/26/2014My husband and I went to The Cellar Bistro to celebrate our anniversary. I had never heard of TCB before, and we don't live very close to Wheaton, but it came up in my search for "organic restaurants." Finding suburban restaurants that try to use organic and local fare when possible is difficult (I feel) to come by, so I was excited when the experience that we had was great! We both ordered soups to start, shared the crabcake appetizer and then had a chicken entree and a lamb entree with chocolate cake a la mode for dessert. Everything was was delicious. For as excellent as the food, drinks and service all were, I was surprised to find that the place was pretty empty. It was a Thursday night at 8pm, so perhaps it's busier on the weekends?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 276 reviews are from the The Cellar Bistro reviews archive.
- Nice lunch locationLynnDined on 6/17/2014The Cellar Bistro was a nice choice for lunch. Great variety on the menu. There were some particularly unique selections of appetizers and salads. Service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Leisurely Luncheonsecm252Dined on 6/13/2014The food is impeccable. The service is attentive. The atmosphere is inviting. These three qualities make The Cellar Bistro the perfect location for a leisurely lunch with a friend!Special Features:
- 6/12/2014kiwiDined on 6/12/2014food great , wine very fine, service conscientious. Always a fun place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceNaperKenDined on 5/31/2014This was a very leisurely, pleasant experience with very good food, but bread was not offered and water infrequently replenished.Special Features:
- Consistently GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014We have been to the Cellar Bistro many times and each time it is great. It is a quaint and just plain wonderful restaurant in downtown Wheaton. I highly recommend it for lunch or for a nice dinner with your significant other. Not a very large restaurant but the ambiance overall is great. Spinach dip is fantastic and recommend it for an appetizerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cellar BistroFrannyDined on 5/30/2014I have been to Cellar Bistro many times. The food is consistantly excellent. When friends and family come to town, this is my go to place. Their wine and beer options are also very good.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2014Excellent as always. The food is delicious and portioned just right. We had dinner with some friends and the atmosphere was great. It is a fairly small place so make a reservation, even during the week. They do have a few tables outside on the sidewalk.Special Features:
- Wedding specialSmartCookieDined on 5/23/2014My husband and I came here with both our mothers and our son after getting married at DuPage County. The lunch was fantastic! Every piece of food was superb! The server was great, and they provided us with a very comfy table that easily sat us and our 5 month old son. There is no doubt that we will return here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VillagedinerDined on 5/21/2014It is nice to have such a fine restaurant within walking distance of home. Our guest from England thoroughly enjoyed our informal luncheon at Cellar Bistro.Special Features:
- Saturday NightBigt53Dined on 5/17/2014The service was great. The pizza and salads were served promptly. They had not opened the outdoor seating yet. They had a great coconut cake desert served with fresh fruit. The cake was good but rather dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy & ClassyFookieDined on 5/11/2014The Cellar Bistro is the perfect combination of cozy and classy. It wasn't uncomfortably classy either though. Just the right balance! It's got a great "ambiance," and excellent food! Strongly recommended for eating out at Wheaton!Special Features:
- A disappointmentJenBDined on 5/11/2014Our first mistake was choosing a new restaurant to eat at on Mother's Day. Our second, greater mistake was choosing this one. Cellar Bistro has no waiting area so when we arrived, we stood uncomfortably for nearly 15 minutes before someone seated us. When that person finally arrived, it was clear she was not actually the hostess as she didn't know how to work the reservation system. The service was consistently poor (It took us over 2 hours!) and the food incredibly greasy. How can you have a restaurant open on Mother's Day with what appeared to be only 3 servers?
- ServiceoovaDined on 5/9/2014I did not get the attention from the waiter. This is a great restaurant and it needs a more personal staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerDaddyODined on 4/29/2014We went with friends to celebrate my birthday. We had a lovely time, however, my bison steak was overdone, as was the bison steak of one of my guests. Other than that, the food was excellent and our server was very nice. We will go back.Special Features:
- Lovely birthday lunchLadyMerryleesDined on 4/28/2014I brought my sisters and aunt to Cellar Bistro for her 85th birthday. I wanted someplace small and intimate, so it wouldn't be too noisy. We had a lovely meal - bruschetta, crab and tomato salad, and beet salad. The food was wonderful and when the weather improves there is outdoor seating which is lovely.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2014I took my girlfriend here for an early dinner, I had never been there before but she had been for lunch. When we got there there were only a few other people so the noise level was almost non-existent, the service was very attentive and most of all the food was outstanding! Easily the best I've had in a while. Chicken Sciambicotto (sp?) chicken mashed potatoes and peas in a cream sauce. Sounds simple and ordinary but there was nothing ordinary about. I will definitely go again in the near future and would give the food six stars if I could.Special Features:
- Light Sunday Brunch BistrowestsubmydinesDined on 4/27/2014This was our 2nd Sunday brunch at Cellar Bistro. On both occasions we enjoyed our brunch and the corner views of downtown Wheaton. Cellar Bistro has an ala carte brunch menu any a good selection of "just-right" size brunch portions. Their lunch menu has somewhat more interesting selections, with very tasty appetizers. Good for small and larger groups up to 8.Special Features:
- Mark TauberTaubie32Dined on 4/26/2014Cellar bistro was pretty awful. The staff was bad, girl seating people was super confused and experience. Bartender didn't get me a drink for 7-8 minutes and was not busy. Waitress had way too many tables and was slow with drinks and dinner came cold. Took forever to get a glass of wine. Bottom line is it's a cute place, the staff was completely inexperienced and place was really disappointing.
- Our local secret!mscullyDined on 4/25/2014This Wheaton gem is not to be missed. Food quality and presentation are outstanding! Something for everyone and ALL thoughtfully prepared and fairly priced. Attention to detail is obvious. Let's keep this our little secret!Special Features:
- bistronwobhmDined on 4/25/2014We entered the restaraunt and were seated promply. Our waiter, Nate, was very friendly and helpful with the menu. We both had soup; mine was a tomato bisque and my wife had mushroom. They were both excellent. I had the Lamb Ragu with polenta and it was really delicious. It paired wonderfully with the cabernet I ordered. My wife had the pasta with Chicken which she really like as well. The service was great and the restaraunt is really nice inside. A great place for a romantice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchPatty1PicksDined on 4/20/2014My husband and I dined at the Cellar Bistro for the first time on Easter sunday. The menu was extensive with lunch or breakfast items to choose from. I loved the brie on raisin bread with pear and walnuts as an appetizer. The food was very good and the ambience was quiet enough for normal level conversation. I would go there again and further explore their menu options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mahi MahiSirDineAlotVIPDined on 4/19/2014Dined on Saturday with friends, Mahi was great, have never ordered it out in the past but the preperation sounded great, turns out it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantFrannyDined on 4/12/2014I am a repeat customer. This restaurant has a wonderful ambiance, the food is excellent. I have always had a positive experience here. The menu is really good,too.Special Features:
- Great Group OutingBOM2Dined on 4/11/2014We had a group of six ladies for lunch and we are looking forward to returning!Special Features:
- an off nightKatieVIPDined on 4/5/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants and the food is always terrific. On our most recent visit, the server was very indifferent. One of the forks that we had was encrusted with something unknown when we sat down to the table. The server never noticed: my husband had to clean it off himself since she was rarely checking in with our table. The appetizer was selected was already sold out (this was about 5:30 PM!) And when we ordered small salads, the server never offered a choice of dressings-she chose one and brought it to both of us. I didn't care for it (honey mustard?) and when I asked for a replacement, she took quite some time before bringing it to the table. Great food, iffy service that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Babies not recommendedVmanDined on 4/4/2014We were looking forward to a relaxing dinner, but were seated next to a table with a crying baby. Not only was it too late for a baby to be out, the parents showed little regard for the other diners in the restaurant whose dinner was ruined by the noise. We couldn't get out of there fast enough.Special Features: