The Cedars Social
1326 South Lamar
Dallas, TX 75215Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Cedars Social
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thecedarssocial.com/
- Phone: (214) 928-7700
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 6:00pm - 1:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kyle McClelland
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from The Cedars Social
THE CEDARS SOCIAL, is a cocktail den and kitchen that features a list of handcrafted cocktails and New American food menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Cedars Social - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Cedars Social reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (27)neighborhood gem (24)hot spot (21)vibrant bar scene (21)good for groups (15)great for brunch (10)special occasion (9)romantic (8)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (4)great for lunch (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Bottomless Mimosas- Yes! Slow Service- No!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/22/2014Fun atmosphere-- very energetic and vibrant; great music. Food was strong- I had eggs benedict with pork belly. Bottomless mimosas were definitely the headliner, but service was a little slow until closer to the end of the brunch. Spent a solid 20 minutes with an empty glass and without a visit from our server. The last 30 minutes of my experience was strengthened by the appearance of another gentleman server who made sure my dining companion and I were never thirsty. Possible someone missed a shift or was late?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food okay, service very slowJem06dVIPDined on 11/7/2014This restaurant needs to update their menu on their website first of all. They note they have small and large plates but actually are only small plates. They feature "tapas style" which is great if that's what you're going for. Also, small plates are normally staggered in arriving at your table at other tapas-style places, however, we waited one hour before getting our first plate. Then everything came at once. Very small portions and overpriced. Food was alright but nothing to write home about. Our server was great and felt bad about the slowness. IF a kitchen is only going to feature small plates you would think they have those recipes down.Special Features:
- What has happen to Cedars Social?elkatmomDined on 11/7/2014It has been almost a year since we have dined at Cedar Social. Maybe it was an off night, the food was below average and each of our entrees (4 people) came out 5-10 minutes apart. No apologies from the waiter.
- Service needs some workOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/5/2014Always return to this eclectic restaurant for good food and pre-concert scene. We had reservations and it took 20 minutes to seat us, then half our party arrived late so we didn't mind the wait. We were seated without the full party and 10 minutes went by before a waiter acknowledged us. When he did come to the table, he said he was waiting for the rest of the party to arrive. Usually someone offers water or something. Waiter took long time to return to the table. Restaurant was not packed, so the service should not have been that bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Concert diningEDIEDined on 11/5/2014My second time at The Cedars Social was unfortunate compared to my first. My friend and I planned on a quick dinner before a concert but didn't expect the entire guest list to join. After a 20 minute wait, our reservation was accommodated. After another 20 minutes, we were finally greeted with an apology and an additional 30 minute wait for our drinks. We asked for the check with our food hopeful to catch the encore of the show. We both ordered the deviled eggs and shrimp and grits. Speedy Gonzales served our food and we sped to exit. I still recommend the quirky dining experience before a concert at South Side because of the prime location. Maybe I will have time to enjoy the taste of the delicious food and drinks for my third meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would you wait 35 mins for a drink?LTEXASDined on 11/5/2014Seriously. First, it took 15 minutes just to get a waitress to our table. Then, it took 35 minutes to get a cocktail. And not even everyone at the table got our drinks at the same time, one of them came 10 minutes later. We timed it. Food took even longer and it wasn't even good. This is the 2nd time I've visited and experienced terrible service and just ok food. Its not a surprise that on a night where there is a concert at Southside..you're going to be busy, we expected that. You might want to think about staffing up, more than 1 bartender would be a good idea. The waitstaff seemed indifferent, no one was rushing or even apologized. Never going back again. Never.
- 40 minutes to get a drinkOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/5/2014Literally took 40 minutes to get a drink, they brought our food before our first drink even. Horrible
- DissapointedkaykayVIPDined on 11/2/2014We have had a fabulous lunch there last summer and were very exited about dinner. However, when we arrived the doors were locked and the lights off. We called the restaurant and they said that they only had one reservation for the evening (ours) so they decided to close. WE WERE NOT NOTIFIED by Open Table or by a phone call from the restaurant. So there we were, staying in the hotel across the street, trying to find somewhere else to eat on a Sunday night, and there is nothing else in that area. I gave one star because this was not good service.Special Features:
- SusietVIPDined on 10/22/2014Awesome! Great food...great cocktails. Small and classySpecial Features:
- Great Food....too LoudPascualetxVIPDined on 10/17/2014I like Cedar Social a lot! They do a great job with the small plates and uber-cocktails. However, on my last too visits, the music was entirely too loud for dinner. I couldn't even hear the waiter, much less my dining companions. They did accommodate us and turn the music down at our request, but they should know better than to have it a that lever to start with.Special Features:
- CarterCarterDined on 10/12/2014The lamb was EXCELLENT. The truffle mac and cheese were EXCELLENT. The drinks were ok, but it might have been because I enjoyed the food so much. Food portions were not that big, so expect to order multiple items. My date and I had 4 different things and were still a bit hungry. Overall, great find. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Let downJT86Dined on 10/4/2014Food was pretty good, cocktails were decent, but service was slow. They were borderline rude too. I'd recommend you try it once,but don't hurry in. Honestly i was pretty disappointed in most things about this dining experience. I'll go back once more to give brunch a shot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchLuv2eatDined on 9/28/2014We had a great time celebrating my sister's birthday at brunch!!! Our server was awesome!!! Great food and bottomless mimosas!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Had A Nice Time...ZusiquDined on 9/20/2014The service was great, the food was good, but a bit too salty on one dish that two people ordered. We had the scallops (too salty), fries with truffle oil (wonderful), fries with Parmesan cheese (wonderful), the wedge salad (good) and the mussels (good.) The only thing that marred our experience was the noise factor. The acoustics let noise rebound and we could barely hear each other at the table. This is a lively place and the drink menu is fantastic. I'd go again, but this is not the place for a romantic dinner or a special occasion. It is more a place to get a drink and a bite while clubbing about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014The food is always good at The Cedars Social. But at times, the service is slow, as the waiters sometimes don't communicate between one another as to who is handling which table. So, we sat at our table without being greeted for at least 10 minutes. Once the waiter got to us, it was smooth sailing and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- uniquedatenightdivaDined on 9/18/2014Cedars Social is very unique in the decor and setting. Food is very good. I had the shrimp and grits-excellent. Considering it wasn't that crowded, our service was extremely slow. It's a small place, so it's not like the waiter didn't notice. Our server was very nice, it's more like it "slipped his mind" that we would want to order. We had to call him over several times during the night. Overall, I would recommend The Cedars Social if you're in the area looking for a unique place to eat. Not sure I would recommend it as a destination restaurant.Special Features:
- Good for cocktailsDahoVIPDined on 9/12/2014This place is good for fancy cocktails, the vibe is fun. Don't expect big things with regard to the food. The library nook would be great for a party with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of many itemsSkittlesVIPDined on 9/12/2014We asked to order a bottle of wine and were informed that they were out of most of what is on the list. The waiter couldn't really say what they did have. He recommended a bottle that he knew they had and we ordered (and enjoyed) it. We made a meal of three shared small plates. Two of the plates we wanted were on the menu but not available. So we had a 60% success rate - I wouldn't call that stellar. Had it been late in the evening, you might be able to understand being out of items but this was an early reservation - 7:00 PM. The three dishes we had all had Arugula on the plates - clearly they had plenty of it.Special Features:
- Loved it. Would definately return!DonBVIPDined on 9/7/2014Went for Brunch on Sunday. Outstanding Service. "Modern Comfort Food" is a great description. Reasonable prices as well. Definitely going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beWadesReviewsDined on 9/5/2014I've been a fan of Cedars Social since it opened. My wife have been there on numerous occasions over the years and always enjoyed all aspects of it. But it seems to have changed management, or kitchen staff or bartenders because we were disappointed in service and quality all around this time. The place was empty on a Friday night and the staff was dressed sloppy. They were out of several bottle of wine already and it was only 7pm. We had to ask for plates and extra utensils. The food was not the same. Different recipes and not as good. My steak was tough and out of desserts. The only thing the same was the pricing, which should be lowered if these are the new standards. I hate this, because it used to be my favorite restaurant in Dallas.Special Features:
- You're kidding, right?OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/31/2014It's unbelievable that this place got the same rating as Abacus, Nobu, and/or Belly and Trumpet. (to name a few) Maybe because it's a hot spot late at night (I cannot confirm) but it's certainly not based on the food, cleanliness, or ambiance. Please don't waste your time going to this place unless you're looking to hang out in a local dive bar. Warned.
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014I really adore this spot. We booked the library room for a birthday celebration. The room is a very retro and comfy room and perfect for having cocktails and appetizers. The food was amazing. One of the favorite dishes were the squash blossoms. Service was just okay compared to other trendy restaurants in the area. We definitely enjoyed our time and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar & BistroKitKatDined on 8/15/2014Impressive drink menu. Chef designed menu. Food prepared when ordered. Attentive wait staff, Trendy atmosphere. Expect to pay for what you get. Reservations needed for a table. Food served at the bar or outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mac and cheeserafaelxsDined on 8/1/2014This funky place is always has the best drinks, and the food is incredible. I have been 5 times and each time i find another meal i love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 193 reviews are from the The Cedars Social reviews archive.
- Food was disappointingIntellectbDined on 7/27/2014Didn't have a lot of options from the menu, ran out of many of the items. Food was lack luster.Special Features:
- Brunch with friendsSkittlesVIPDined on 7/19/2014We met out of town friends here for a Saturday Brunch. Loved the bottomless glass of Rose. Spicy Bloody Mary lived up to the name. Everyone was happy with their selections. Wait staff was friendly and personable. We've enjoyed dinner here before and now will return again for brunch.Special Features:
- OldtimerDined on 7/12/2014The cocktails were outstanding and the food tasty. It was loud, but we expected that. We had a fun evening. The hostess and waitperson were welcoming and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going down hillB313VIPDined on 7/12/2014I have been here about 6 times over the last two years so I am not a regular. While the bar has made a great comeback from the not so recent upheaval the kitchen seems to be heading in the wrong direction. The food was bland. Signature meatballs were ok and the scallops were good. Everything else was over cooked and not up to what the place used to be. Hopefully it can turn around because it really is a great settingSpecial Features:
- Dining ExperienceTheDsfoodiesDined on 7/12/2014We made reservations but only a few people at 6:00 PM. By 7, place was full. Small, specialty menu. Dishes we had were very good. Drinks a little expensive but they were well made. Overall, I would recommend The Cedars as a very good local restaurant. Hats off to the owners for a good local dining experience on the South Side.Special Features:
- Not OpenToddMacVIPDined on 7/4/2014I was able to make a reservation for July 4th. I tried to call multiple times to confirm that they were open, and no one ever answered. It's possible they were closed, but it don't know. I cancelled rather than driving there to find out they were closed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/29/2014The food was good (we each had the burger). The menu is not that diverse, but there are some good options. The service was so-so ... the server was polite but kept forgetting about us (perhaps because we sat in the corner). But the vibe was cool and we would go back and will recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cedar Social burgerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/27/2014My reservation was for 2, but I arrived early. I asked to be seated, and there were only about 10-12 people inside when I sat. For some reason, they did not communicate that I was there to the wait staff, so I sat there for about 15 minutes without anyone coming to greet me, or bring me water. Once the waiter (Antowine, I think) got there, he was very good and gave great recommendations. No one told him that I was sitting there. That was my only negative comment. The crowd picked up nicely after 9. the bartender, Simone, made a great drink for the young lady I was with. And the burger was SUPERB. The fermented garlic hit the spot.Special Features:
- Poor service, food OK, drinks OKCharlesVIPDined on 6/24/2014We came here because we were staying in the hotel across the street. It was a terrible experience. We waited quite a while for a server after we were seated. The cocktails were just alright, a bit derivative and not especially tasty, but they were decent enough and points for effort and creativity. The food was all overly rich, and the pork bun had a heavy sauce which overwhelmed the sandwiches. I had the brussel sprouts which were equally greasy and disappointing. Worst of all, after our first drink, the server forgot to order our second drinks not once, but twice. We decided to go to the hotel bar. Waited forever for our bill, of course. Overall a terrible experience. Would only recommend for those who have time to kill.
- Good spot for a conversationNewFoodieVIPDined on 5/22/2014The atmosphere was great. I like the intimacy of the place. Our server was friendly and helpful. Food was excellent - especially the shrimp &grits and praline ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!AliGlitterDined on 5/11/2014Cedar Social felt like a place I wanted to come back to from the moment we walked in the door. Cozy, cool 70s-vibe, extensive cocktail menu, knowledgable waiter, and delicious food. I want to hang out here! Truffle mac and cheese was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dinning Find in the DFW!!!!GSmooth1Dined on 5/6/2014The ambiance was terrific and the decor made for a cozy and comfortable experience to boot! I can't wait to experience having brunch there with a few friends next!Special Features:
- Hip & TrendycooleatsDined on 5/2/2014This place was cool! Everything was impressive. The food, drinks (old fashioned), desert, server and atmosphere was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worst dinning experience everOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/29/2014Awful. Been there many times. 45 minutes to get a drink to the table. 1 hour for noodles with spinkled cheese. We had a show to make and figured an hour and a half was enough time to eat. We ordered a bottle of wine so we could get our next drink and even that we had to get up to pour our next glass. Waiter didnt know the wine list when i odered and said the bottle must be new on the list but then when he poured it he was an expert and announced that he isnt a big fan of this wine? Why the negative attitude about a botle he didnt know anything about when we ordered it? And white wine wasnt chilled. Completely gave up on main course to barely make the show stressed out. Always liked the view but Next time i will go to NYLO across the streetSpecial Features:
- Excellent food and cocktails!DallasfoodieVIPDined on 4/21/2014Ate at Cedars Social for just the 3rd time, but very impressed with all the food and drinks I've ordered. Definitely worth the drive...Special Features:
- Worth the tripLive2eatVIPDined on 4/12/2014My wife and I have been focused on getting out of the suburbs and exploring the Dallas food scene more often lately. I had heard a lot about Cedars Social and I can say it was well worth ghetto 45 minute drive. We split a flat bread and the pappardelle which was fantastic . It was one of those rare occasions for me when I eat dessert and the blueberry/lemon cheesecake certainly was worth the calories. We will definitely be returning.Special Features: