The Cedars Social
1326 South Lamar
Dallas, TX 75215Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Cedars Social
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thecedarssocial.com/
- Phone: 2149287700x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 6:00pm - 1:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kyle McClelland
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from The Cedars Social
THE CEDARS SOCIAL, is a cocktail den and kitchen that features a list of handcrafted cocktails and New American food menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Cedars Social - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Cedars Social reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (22)vibrant bar scene (22)neighborhood gem (20)hot spot (12)good for groups (10)late-night find (7)romantic (7)special occasion (7)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (6)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Good for cocktailsDahoVIPDined on 9/12/2014This place is good for fancy cocktails, the vibe is fun. Don't expect big things with regard to the food. The library nook would be great for a party with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of many itemsSkittlesDined on 9/12/2014We asked to order a bottle of wine and were informed that they were out of most of what is on the list. The waiter couldn't really say what they did have. He recommended a bottle that he knew they had and we ordered (and enjoyed) it. We made a meal of three shared small plates. Two of the plates we wanted were on the menu but not available. So we had a 60% success rate - I wouldn't call that stellar. Had it been late in the evening, you might be able to understand being out of items but this was an early reservation - 7:00 PM. The three dishes we had all had Arugula on the plates - clearly they had plenty of it.Special Features:
- Loved it. Would definately return!DonBDined on 9/7/2014Went for Brunch on Sunday. Outstanding Service. "Modern Comfort Food" is a great description. Reasonable prices as well. Definitely going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beWadesReviewsDined on 9/5/2014I've been a fan of Cedars Social since it opened. My wife have been there on numerous occasions over the years and always enjoyed all aspects of it. But it seems to have changed management, or kitchen staff or bartenders because we were disappointed in service and quality all around this time. The place was empty on a Friday night and the staff was dressed sloppy. They were out of several bottle of wine already and it was only 7pm. We had to ask for plates and extra utensils. The food was not the same. Different recipes and not as good. My steak was tough and out of desserts. The only thing the same was the pricing, which should be lowered if these are the new standards. I hate this, because it used to be my favorite restaurant in Dallas.Special Features:
- You're kidding, right?OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/31/2014It's unbelievable that this place got the same rating as Abacus, Nobu, and/or Belly and Trumpet. (to name a few) Maybe because it's a hot spot late at night (I cannot confirm) but it's certainly not based on the food, cleanliness, or ambiance. Please don't waste your time going to this place unless you're looking to hang out in a local dive bar. Warned.
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014I really adore this spot. We booked the library room for a birthday celebration. The room is a very retro and comfy room and perfect for having cocktails and appetizers. The food was amazing. One of the favorite dishes were the squash blossoms. Service was just okay compared to other trendy restaurants in the area. We definitely enjoyed our time and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar & BistroKitKatDined on 8/15/2014Impressive drink menu. Chef designed menu. Food prepared when ordered. Attentive wait staff, Trendy atmosphere. Expect to pay for what you get. Reservations needed for a table. Food served at the bar or outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mac and cheeserafaelxsDined on 8/1/2014This funky place is always has the best drinks, and the food is incredible. I have been 5 times and each time i find another meal i love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was disappointingIntellectbDined on 7/27/2014Didn't have a lot of options from the menu, ran out of many of the items. Food was lack luster.Special Features:
- Brunch with friendsSkittlesDined on 7/19/2014We met out of town friends here for a Saturday Brunch. Loved the bottomless glass of Rose. Spicy Bloody Mary lived up to the name. Everyone was happy with their selections. Wait staff was friendly and personable. We've enjoyed dinner here before and now will return again for brunch.Special Features:
- OldtimerDined on 7/12/2014The cocktails were outstanding and the food tasty. It was loud, but we expected that. We had a fun evening. The hostess and waitperson were welcoming and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going down hillB313Dined on 7/12/2014I have been here about 6 times over the last two years so I am not a regular. While the bar has made a great comeback from the not so recent upheaval the kitchen seems to be heading in the wrong direction. The food was bland. Signature meatballs were ok and the scallops were good. Everything else was over cooked and not up to what the place used to be. Hopefully it can turn around because it really is a great settingSpecial Features:
- Dining ExperienceTheDsfoodiesDined on 7/12/2014We made reservations but only a few people at 6:00 PM. By 7, place was full. Small, specialty menu. Dishes we had were very good. Drinks a little expensive but they were well made. Overall, I would recommend The Cedars as a very good local restaurant. Hats off to the owners for a good local dining experience on the South Side.Special Features:
- Not OpenToddMacVIPDined on 7/4/2014I was able to make a reservation for July 4th. I tried to call multiple times to confirm that they were open, and no one ever answered. It's possible they were closed, but it don't know. I cancelled rather than driving there to find out they were closed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/29/2014The food was good (we each had the burger). The menu is not that diverse, but there are some good options. The service was so-so ... the server was polite but kept forgetting about us (perhaps because we sat in the corner). But the vibe was cool and we would go back and will recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cedar Social burgerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/27/2014My reservation was for 2, but I arrived early. I asked to be seated, and there were only about 10-12 people inside when I sat. For some reason, they did not communicate that I was there to the wait staff, so I sat there for about 15 minutes without anyone coming to greet me, or bring me water. Once the waiter (Antowine, I think) got there, he was very good and gave great recommendations. No one told him that I was sitting there. That was my only negative comment. The crowd picked up nicely after 9. the bartender, Simone, made a great drink for the young lady I was with. And the burger was SUPERB. The fermented garlic hit the spot.Special Features:
- Poor service, food OK, drinks OKCharlesVIPDined on 6/24/2014We came here because we were staying in the hotel across the street. It was a terrible experience. We waited quite a while for a server after we were seated. The cocktails were just alright, a bit derivative and not especially tasty, but they were decent enough and points for effort and creativity. The food was all overly rich, and the pork bun had a heavy sauce which overwhelmed the sandwiches. I had the brussel sprouts which were equally greasy and disappointing. Worst of all, after our first drink, the server forgot to order our second drinks not once, but twice. We decided to go to the hotel bar. Waited forever for our bill, of course. Overall a terrible experience. Would only recommend for those who have time to kill.
- Good spot for a conversationNewFoodieVIPDined on 5/22/2014The atmosphere was great. I like the intimacy of the place. Our server was friendly and helpful. Food was excellent - especially the shrimp &grits and praline ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 183 reviews are from the The Cedars Social reviews archive.
- Fabulous!AliGlitterDined on 5/11/2014Cedar Social felt like a place I wanted to come back to from the moment we walked in the door. Cozy, cool 70s-vibe, extensive cocktail menu, knowledgable waiter, and delicious food. I want to hang out here! Truffle mac and cheese was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dinning Find in the DFW!!!!GSmooth1Dined on 5/6/2014The ambiance was terrific and the decor made for a cozy and comfortable experience to boot! I can't wait to experience having brunch there with a few friends next!Special Features:
- Hip & TrendycooleatsDined on 5/2/2014This place was cool! Everything was impressive. The food, drinks (old fashioned), desert, server and atmosphere was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worst dinning experience everOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/29/2014Awful. Been there many times. 45 minutes to get a drink to the table. 1 hour for noodles with spinkled cheese. We had a show to make and figured an hour and a half was enough time to eat. We ordered a bottle of wine so we could get our next drink and even that we had to get up to pour our next glass. Waiter didnt know the wine list when i odered and said the bottle must be new on the list but then when he poured it he was an expert and announced that he isnt a big fan of this wine? Why the negative attitude about a botle he didnt know anything about when we ordered it? And white wine wasnt chilled. Completely gave up on main course to barely make the show stressed out. Always liked the view but Next time i will go to NYLO across the streetSpecial Features:
- Excellent food and cocktails!DallasfoodieVIPDined on 4/21/2014Ate at Cedars Social for just the 3rd time, but very impressed with all the food and drinks I've ordered. Definitely worth the drive...Special Features:
- Worth the tripLive2eatVIPDined on 4/12/2014My wife and I have been focused on getting out of the suburbs and exploring the Dallas food scene more often lately. I had heard a lot about Cedars Social and I can say it was well worth ghetto 45 minute drive. We split a flat bread and the pappardelle which was fantastic . It was one of those rare occasions for me when I eat dessert and the blueberry/lemon cheesecake certainly was worth the calories. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Awesome drink menu & great foodjweezyDined on 4/11/2014Great food, amazing drink menu. We had mostly small plates & they were all delicious. Expansive cocktail list, we tried 3 different ones & they were all awesome. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Yummy food and bottomless mimosas!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/6/2014My friends and I ended up eating brunch here both Saturday and Sunday during our visit to Dallas. Nice, cozy atmosphere, tasty food, friendly staff, and $10 bottomless mimosas!Special Features:
- YummyLetsgooutDined on 4/4/2014The atmosphere is super cool and the food is delicious. The fire pit in the center of the restaurant was lit and the whole place was glowing. We tried lots of appetizers and they were all great. Truffle mac and cheese was creamy and wonderful, the pork cheeks were to die, nothing was left on the plate. The deviled eggs, the Brussels sprouts it was all so yummy. Oh and the cocktails, very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food (love small plates)enjoydiningwelldoneDined on 3/29/2014Good food (love small plates) and good service in a fun and casual atmosphere near downtown Dallas. I recommend the peas and carrots ravioli to start. I have already set a date to return with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and drinks!isaacDined on 3/23/2014My friend recommended this place for brunch initially. I didn't get to check out their brunch yet but their dinner is also fantastic! My girl friend and I shared a few fresh oysters, one small plate (Pork cheeks) and then a side of brussels sprouts. Oyster was very fresh, and pork cheeks were fantastic. Brussels sprouts were maybe a bit salty but still very delicious! The drink that the watier recommned was great as well! definitely will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for the hard of hearinghammertimeDined on 3/22/2014My wife and I had dinner here as part of a weekend getaway. As a tapas (style) restaurant the quality and selection of food was very good. The food was well prepared and presented. The "handcrafted" cocktails about which everyone raves were, in my opinion, rather limited. I attempted to discuss other options with the server, but that is very difficult as the noise level in the restaurant is VERY loud. He and I could barely hear one another, so I gave up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't judge a book by it's cover!LetseatDined on 3/22/2014I recently took my family to The Cedar's Social for brunch. Upon first glance the building is somewhat dated but once inside the atmosphere is great. I especially think the fire pit in the center of the restaurant is a nice touch. Also, I found the eclectic art throughout the restaurant to be a nice touch. The food is absolutely amazing. I had the Kobe burger which is probably the best burger that I have ever had. The rest of my family had breakfast type food, all of which, was great. I would highly recommend The Cedar's social to anyone.Special Features:
- AMAZINGOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/17/2014AMAZING EXPERIENCE!! Food, Service, Ambiance were top notch! Great for a celebration or just a dinner with friends or your loved one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New SpotFood13loverDined on 3/9/2014This is a nice small spot to visit! I enjoyed the restaurant but the service was so slow!!! I was frustrated with how slow the service was. They need to get a sign for the restaurant and increase their brunch menu or at least offer the lunch menu options. This is a good place to go for small groups and good mimosasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as impressedAznFoodiEVIPDined on 3/7/2014Been here a few times before and I always thought they had the best burger and craft cocktails in Dallas. The cocktails still rank very high in my opinion; however, I think their burger is not as good as it once was. The bun seemed stale and I thought there used to be a dressing or condiment that went along with it. The service was hit and miss. The hostess was very nice and sat us immediately. She even moved us when we decided to go from inside to outside. The problem was the table they sat us at outside was VERY dirty. The waiter gave us water and took our drink and food orders before we finally flagged someone down to wipe the table. The table had so much dust, pollen, etc on it that the white cloth was not black.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Brunchchanjohn01Dined on 3/2/2014Enjoyed the brunch, however it was really cold inside which made it difficult to really enjoy the ambiance. Patrons kept entering from the side door which was slow as a snail to close. Being that we were seated relatively close to the door, every time someone entered, we froze our tooshes off plus our food got cold quicker. I would suggest maybe locking the side door or fixing it so that it closes quicker.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Gemdesot0Dined on 2/22/2014Great experience and great time...Food was great while the ambience was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get over yourselvesGregDined on 2/21/2014This could be a great place, but they need to get over themselves. One of our diners ordered a dirty martini, and was told the bartender won't make one because the olive juice destroys the taste. The music was overwhelmingly loud, and at 6:30 they were out of a salad, an entree, and two beers. Food was good but could not overcome the negatives.
- Great Brunch Spotalleycat92Dined on 2/16/2014One of my girlfriends and I get together once a month to try a different brunch place in the area. That said, of the dozen+ brunches I've had in the last year, The Cedar Social is definitely top three! It's a little on the pricey side, but that flat bread was so worth it. Our waiter was the perfect combo of attentive yet non-invasive, and the view of the Dallas skyline is great! I also always give bonus points to places that make it easy to sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines FlopOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Heard good things about this restaurant, but after finally going I realize now why no one ever mentioned the food.... Came here on Valentines evening and had an okay experience. The drinks were really good, but the set menu that evening was poorly executed and fell flat. My fiancee ordered the Coq au vin and couldn't even finish it... The food was disappointing.Special Features:
- Great drinks and fine dining.SupperSaverDined on 2/14/2014I made special Valentines day reservations here for my wife and me. There was the typical 4-course option or a the option to order individually. We enjoyed all four courses except for the starter (lobster bisque). It was a little cold and too sweet. The other courses were fantastic. Our waiter, Travis, was particularly attentive for such a busy night. I liked this place for the ambiance and the cocktail menu. Traditional drinks mixed according to historical era. I also enjoyed all the books. Bookshelves filled with books were located near the kitchen and the check is brought to you in a hardcover book. I thought it was clever and unique. I would go again even if only for a drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.