The Cats Restaurant & Tavern
17533 Santa Cruz Highway
Los Gatos, CA 95033Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
The Cats Restaurant & Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecatsrestaurantandtavern.com/
- Phone: 4083544020
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: T-W 4:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Th 4:00pm-12:00am
Dinner: Sa-Su 4:00pm-12:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Barbecue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Offers private dinning for 15-70 people. Also able to accommodate buy-outs.
- Entertainment: Live music Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
A word from The Cats Restaurant & Tavern
A historical roadhouse featuring barbecued pork ribs, pork shoulder, chicken, and brisket beef smoked over hickory wood. Delicious oak wood grilled steaks, porch chops, lamb chops, and fish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Cats Restaurant & Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (30)vibrant bar scene (28)good for groups (27)kid-friendly (19)hot spot (19)late-night find (15)special occasion (14)scenic view (6)romantic (4)great for outdoor dining (3)notable wine list (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Best BBQ I have had in a very long time. Sure wish I had gone there a long time ago. I have recommended the Cats to all my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great 50th celebrationCaliDined on 9/13/2014We had a wonderful experience the other night, food was great the shuttle pick up worked out perfectly, and our waiter Ono gave us outstanding service and was so much fun!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014If BBQ is what you are looking for it is great. Not fancy. The onion strings are fantastic if you are in the mood for a treat. The ribs come dry, wet or honey basted. Pulled pork is very good. They are cooked very well and no fatty. Although the host/hostesses are rather clueless, the waiters are very good. I recommend having a reservation because it can get very busy. I have only eaten in the restaurant and have not been there when music is in the bar.Special Features:
- Partier's that are Hungry...JapanDined on 9/12/2014Plus, besides eating at "The Cats Restaurant and Tavern" which has pretty good food and good people working there, this place has live music most of the week (late into the night)! Just wish it was a larger establishment so letting you know that it's a must with getting there early enough to get a table! Reservations for dining? We did but still had a good wait but didn't mind because of getting to listen to the live music! Hope this helped!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!TastyDined on 9/7/2014The only thing I would change is I would make sure the cornbread is and the BBQ requested on the side is hot! Otherwise you guys did a good job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best kept secretgarth66Dined on 9/6/2014I've seen The Cat's for years when driving over the hill to Santa Cruz and was curious, but finally visited for dinner. The Cat's greatly exceeded my expectations. We visited again and found our second visit consistent with the first. The food is FANTASTIC, and the servers were very friendly and helpful. The ribs with the honey sauce were amazing. And the smokey baked beans, sauteed mushrooms, and onion strings were all excellent and highly recommended. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- letseatoutDined on 9/6/2014Our Anniversary dinner, ordered drinks in the bar before dinner, guess the server didn't want to deal with drink only tables, she left them sitting on the bar we had to pick them up ourself and she got 2 beers and shot of Crown WRONG, she never came back to our table. Manager wound up comping our drinks and several other tables around us. Dinner table was way too small for two dinner plates, about the size of a night stand, chicken was not done manager said it should be pink. Not my chicken. Won't recommend and won't go back!! On a scale of 1 to 5, this place gets a 2. Waiter was good and attentive.
- Awesome PlaceFirstimersDined on 9/6/2014This has become our favorite STEAKHOUSE. The meats have the best smoked flavor anywhere. We have been back almost every week just for the MEAT.... The beer and drinks are good, too..Special Features:
- Great BBQAitiDined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed the food and service. Recommend the combo plate. Will return in the near future.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2014Very good food, great service. Hard to get back to the Valley, so probably only a yearly event.Special Features:
- BearPawDined on 8/31/2014Food was very good. Service very poor. We went unnoticed once seated. The waiter who was serving us was having a difficult time. He dropped a full tray of food down the stairs and then later when serving us he dropped a bean dish on the table bathing my wife and the gentleman behind her in liquid. Though the food was excellent the noise level and service make this experience a poor one at best.Special Features:
- Yum!snarfoidDined on 8/31/2014Wow, best BBQ I think I've ever had. Most "meat" places have no idea what to do with anything besides meat. But here the grilled veggies were good, the coleslaw excellent, garlic bread good and smoky, cornbread tasty. And the ribs..... AWESOME.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All abouteatwords4uDined on 8/31/2014Food is excellent..Service poor to say the least....Reservations seems like they do not look at them till you get there. As a result it either goes smoothly or it is like you didn't make a reservation. Never get Open Table points for making reservations here...Special Features:
- great food bad servicegreatfoodDined on 8/30/2014We had early reservations and was seated immediately. great BBQ menu to choose from things looked great. Our waiter was very personable but had other tables he was busy with as a result we had to wait a extremely long time for our appetizer then a long time for our dinner. we were very disappointed with the service but extremely pleased with the food.Special Features:
- Always Fun and Awesome SteakswolterclanDined on 8/29/2014One of my favorites with friends. Quiet enough to talk, but noise is welcome. Mouthwatering steaks and BBQ, and awesome drinks. Try their bourbon specialty drinks- outstanding! Great live music option that draws a fun crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimersFirstimersDined on 8/24/2014We had a reservation but, the hostess didn't know what to do with us. We sat near the kitchen but, it was too hot near it. So, we moved to the bar area. The food was prepared just right. The local craft beer was excellent and the cocktails were great, also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurprisePotatoGuyDined on 8/23/2014Our party of four were drawn to Cats by Groupon. We were all pleased with our dinners and will be happy to return. The staff were very welcoming and our waiter was particularly friendly and helpful. My baked potato was superb, matching any I've ever had. I would go back just for another baked potato.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Cats RestaurantAllisonDined on 8/23/2014An old staple of Los Gatos. If you haven't been or it has been awhile, I highly recommend giving it a try. I got there early, 6pm (an hour or so later, it was packed), and was seated right away. Service was great. Waiter always made sure to check on me often enough but not too often to be annoying. Had the rib eye steak, medium rare and baked potato both were excellent. Barely could finish it all but did. Washed it all down with Angry Orchard Cider. Finally, ciders are starting to show up in restaurants, slowly but surly. They are a nice option to beer and wine with a lower % alcohol. Next visit, I'm trying the pulled pork which other guests had and it looked delicious. They also have live music in the bar. Check them out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kat711Dined on 8/20/2014We're never disappointed with the Cats, whether it's for dinner, or just music and cocktails. My dinner was delicious, and we closed the night out at the bar listening to great music. Glad it's so close to home.Special Features:
- Love the BBQ!PDCDDined on 8/20/2014Been coming to the Cat's for many years! This is the first time in many years that we came during the week. It is not the same! Come on a weekend! Food is wonderful, but the menu is extremely limited on a weeknight.
- Honey Glazeddd Ribs RIBS RIBS!!!!!MissSharksFanDined on 8/19/2014This place was soooo good!!!! The honey glazed ribs and chicken were fantastic!!!! The price was pretty great as well! Especially with a group on! The location has great history and a good ambiance. A must go to if you live in the Silicon Valley and have a hearty appetite. The portion sizes are great as well.Special Features:
- Good BBQ fun placeTravelCrzyDined on 8/19/2014Good BBQ, fun place. Place was busy and service was a bit slow. Checked in on YELP and got free "cowboy chips".Special Features:
- First TimersRubyDined on 8/16/2014Myself and two other lady friends made reservations for dinner, and the reservations were very easy to navigate. I've used Open table before, with no issues. The BBQ was delicious, although my New York Steak was thin. The rest of the meal was great, and my friends liked theirs as well, with the one observation that the Rib Eye was thin. The badn wa sgreat, adn we ended up staying there for 6 hours! We danced and had cocktails, and the staff is excellent. We will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must goGinspecDined on 8/16/2014Food was great service excellent I'll go again very soonSpecial Features:
- BlackBeardDined on 8/16/2014If you go, only eat downstairs. Upstairs is a sweatbox. Get a booth too, their tables for 4 are really tables for too. It was a very uncomfortable evening for myself.
- We'll go back for the dancing.klwong43Dined on 8/16/2014Cats is a fun place for barbecue in a laid back, casual setting. The food was great. The service was spotty, but we didn't mind lingering because we were waiting for the live music and weren't disappointed. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to stay and dance. Next time.Special Features:
- Ants!jwinedineDined on 8/16/2014Four of us went there for dinner around 5:00 P.M. last Saturday, 8/16. Two of us, myself included, had an ant floating in our water glasses. Our waiter was quite embarrassed and apologetic when we showed him, and he quickly brought everyone at the table fresh, ant-free glasses. Other than that, the food, service and ambiance were all great; we will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Fun; Give Them a Try You'll Like itValhala95014Dined on 8/13/2014Group-On Scores: giving The Cats a solid. We decided to go for Happy Hour and were very pleased. We ended up eating in the Bar because the servers were so friendly and accommodating. Well drinks and draft beer very reasonably priced. The atmosphere and menu is reminiscent of the past lost as the Valley has moved into the new technology frontier. This is the roadhouse your Grandparents lamented about at a fireside chat The food was old west, Salinas/San Luis Obispo BBQ and much more. We went overboard with onion rights, baked beans, coleslaw, corn bread (amazing, could have had the corn-B for desert) pulled pork and tri-tip sandwiches so huge we only eat half and took the rest home. Best be hungry if you intend to devour the whole thingSpecial Features:
- Fantastic dinnerPrincessVIPDined on 8/13/2014The Cats restaurant has the most incredible BBQ, especially the dry rub ribs. The Cole slaw is favorable without saturating the cabbage in dressing. Large baked potatoes done perfectly, wonderful chicken and good choices for small children. We've been to this restaurant many times, and will go many more.Special Features:
- Good Eatseatwords4uDined on 8/3/2014Had not been to The Cats since the 70's and was so glad we decided to go there after all these years. The food was oh so good, we were already planning our next trip back. The service could be better but it wasn't horriable...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience Terrific RibsreturnsDined on 8/1/2014Get there early when bands are playing. Locals fill the place. Nice rustic atmosphere. Best ribs in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Excellent ServiceFoodSnobDined on 7/31/2014Excellent food, great service, quick seating! Found this gem on a Thursday night at 8:00PM and didn't have to wait for party of 3 to be seated. Food was amazing, waitstaff was friendly and attentive. Will be returning. Live music nightly. Conveniently located off Hwy 17 on the outskirts of Los Gatos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BBQ in townCjcaballeroDined on 7/29/2014And if it's not to 100% to your satisfaction, they will absolutely remake your plate and redeem themselves and beyond! I usually don't return plates but my steak wasn't 100% what I expected as I am extremely picky...they grabbed the plate from despite me telling them it was fine and returned with the most mouth watering perfectly cooked steak I have ever had!!! Hands down best filet mignon in town!!! I LOVE this place! Great ambiance, nothing fancy but great history and character!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!lovethisplaceDined on 7/19/2014I've been coming to The Cats since the 1970's - love this place! I highly recommend for a special date night or just a good dinner.Special Features:
- Great BBQ!!DWgirl13Dined on 7/18/2014Love this place! Staff has always been great and friendly when we've gone there for dinner. It does get a little loud when there's a band, but it's still great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014We went for dinner with friends. It was easy to get the time we wanted for our reservation. The food was delicious, server was attentive. We had a fun timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PinkyDined on 7/6/2014Food was great as always! It is a good budget friendly place to have a good meal, and great for celebrating a special occasion! I would recommend this to all of the foodies out there! Definitely try the onion strings!!!Special Features:
- Never again.JimBDined on 7/6/2014We have been to the Cats several times since its reopening. It must have changed owners since our last visit because everything that was good before was now bad. I don't think anyone working there was over the age of 25 and they were dressed in all manner of clothes, previously they wore Cats T shirts. They had no wine or beer list available, no bread basket for the table, no salad included with the entrée. The menu had completely changed and not for the better. I had a glass of house cabernet, it was $13. The Cats was a huge disappointment, we will never go back. I expect they will have a for lease or sale sign posted very soon.
- Los Gatos GemCulvettDined on 7/3/2014Before the renovation and re-opening of the Cats Restaurant & Tavern we were regular customers, and now it is even better. The renovation has brightened the atmosphere and the same great food with some additions is fantastic. It is a local Los Gatos Gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go To The CatsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/1/2014Really good food, specializing in barbecue, historic renovated building. Live entertainment, large bar, dance floor. If you live in the South Bay, you need to go. It's on H17 in Los Gatos, just before Lexington Resevoir.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.