The Cats Restaurant & Tavern
17533 Santa Cruz Highway
Los Gatos, CA 95033Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
The Cats Restaurant & Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecatsrestaurantandtavern.com/
- Phone: (408) 354-4020
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: T-W 4:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Th 4:00pm-12:00am
Dinner: Sa-Su 4:00pm-12:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Barbecue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Offers private dinning for 15-70 people. Also able to accommodate buy-outs.
- Entertainment: Live music Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
A word from The Cats Restaurant & Tavern
A historical roadhouse featuring barbecued pork ribs, pork shoulder, chicken, and brisket beef smoked over hickory wood. Delicious oak wood grilled steaks, porch chops, lamb chops, and fish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Cats Restaurant & Tavern - Best Restaurants in Los Gatos ›
The Cats Restaurant & Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (64)vibrant bar scene (55)fit for foodies (40)good for groups (36)hot spot (33)kid-friendly (21)late-night find (20)special occasion (19)romantic (7)great for lunch (7)scenic view (6)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Fun rustic ambiance and tastey food.FoodLover22Dined on 11/20/2014Fun rustic ambiance and tasty food at a reasonable price! The recent renovations were nice, while keeping the original charm of the “The Cats” intact. Pretty loud though still enjoyable. The Cowboy steak (Rib eye) was large, yummy and tender! Minimal wine selection, no Proseco/Champagne… We were celebrating a pre-anniversary night out… Friendly servers! We had fun evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a+b=cOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/18/2014Been here often. First time the waiting staff was slow as clap. Food is great, so will try again in hopes it was a juvenile night or sth. Did I mention, food is GREAT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't ever returnChristinaVIPDined on 11/18/2014Service was terrible. I had chicken which was fine but my friend had pork chop and she said it was extremely tough. I guess the staff didn't really care that we were there because once the food was delivered, we never saw them again. Had to ask someone to take out plates away and then had to wait an hour for a correct bill. Now I know why I have just driven by this place my whole life. I will never return. Tried a Testarossa wine there for the first time. I will return to the wine but not to this restaurant.
- Something new for Girls NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I would love to give The Cats five stars, however we had to wait an hour past our reservation to get seated. Not only that, but my friend had to constantly inquire about our status. The people that go to the The Cats are fun and always down to have a good time. The bar tenders either need another hand or two behind the bar to keep up with all the waiting customers. The food/drinks were great it was just the delay of service that would keep me from coming back to the The Cats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQ dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/14/2014Fun atmosphere, great food, gets really busy on the weekends. We had to wait a long time for our food because the kitchen was backed up, but our waitress was very attentive.-124I would recommend this to a friend.
- LifeSciDineDined on 11/12/2014Service was slow, however, they were doing some training.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great musicOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2014We had 3 kinds of ribs and shared them and each was fantastic. Nice wine selection. Wonderful live music. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Carnivore's DelightdglisterDined on 11/9/2014If you like barbecue and a boisterous environment, this is the place for you! Even at 6:15PM on a Sunday evening, The Cats was jammed. The parking lot was nearly full and the restaurant was packed. We arrived early for our 6:30 reservation and had to wait until that time before a suitable table was cleared for us. The portions were generous and delicious.Special Features:
- The CatsDinnerAtTheCatsDined on 11/9/2014Experience and food were good. Were almost out of beer at bar, though. Also, booked reservations through Open Table and Open Table advised me that we were "no shows" per The Cats even though we checked in at the front desk. Waitress was a little ditsy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/7/2014Ribs, smoked chicken and beans are to die for! Every meal has been awesome! WIll return a lot!Special Features:
- Food great, service not so muchSharksFan1991Dined on 11/7/2014We had great food (steak, chicken & ribs) ordered by the 4 of us, but the service was lacking. We've been here before and had good service, so it was a bit disappointing as we brought friends with us. Also, little pricey but for a once in a while place, probably comparable. unique history and loved how they used recycled items to refurbish the place. Service needs work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pick a themeStagecoachDinerDined on 11/7/2014Cats is an interesting place - part sports bar feel with a confused interior design sense. Cats could have embraced their historical roots by creating an authentic old world dining experience that made you feel like you were back 100 years which would have made it interesting or they could have gone sports bar - problem is they are trying to use an old world restaurant as a sports bar. Ambiance is a fail for that reason TV's in the dining room is not OK - a fireplace, some candles and some conversation - OK. Rummage sale eclectic. Some lighting was fluorescent - some incandescent This place could be a gem if you themed it one way or the other. Food was good but was a bit expensive and the portions were a bit small for the price.Special Features:
- BBQ and BourbonGourmetgal14Dined on 11/1/2014The BBQ ribs are so tender and tasty. I can't imagine ordering anything else! Paired it with baked potato and sautéed mushrooms and a Kentucky Mule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has changed since I last came hereFlowerDined on 10/31/2014Was super excited about being in the area and going back to the cats tavern. Very disappointed the menu changed including the drink menu. I was there a year ago and recall ordering a cat themed drink and having a tasty salad The waitress was very nice but did not seem to know anything when I asked about the old menu and if she could recommend any favorite dishes or popular drinks. She was very young and seemed new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great barbeque in a historic bldg.MadfoxDined on 10/30/2014We enjoyed the generous and tasty BBQ sampler with ribs, pulled pork and chicken along with some cole slaw and chicken gumbo. Had enough leftover for lunch the next day.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014We were very hungry, the food (THE RIBS!!!) was awesome, so do you want to know anythong else? :D Thank you very much for that great dinner :DSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Figure out how to heat up BBQ sauce1958BarbieDined on 10/23/2014After 30 hours of not eating due to a procedure I had, I dreamed of trying the ribs here as I hadn't been there since it re-opened. What a disappointment. We ordered and then waited and waited for our food. After some time, I saw what looked like my order sitting under the lamps. After more waiting, we were told the kids' order never printed and would need to be prepared. Meanwhile the adults' meals sat under the lamps. When we were finally served, my ribs were lukewarm and had the thinnest layer of BBQ sauce. I asked for more sauce. She said it's on the table. It was ICE COLD. I asked if she could heat it up. She said no because they didn't have a microwave. So I ate lukewarm ribs with ice cold BBQ sauce. I will NOT be going back again.Special Features:
- Cool BeansXiaoHeDined on 10/18/2014I've been here twice in thirty years -- each time, my experience was excellent. Now that I'm in the area more, I'll take more parties to Cats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- snarfoidDined on 10/18/2014The $12 cocktail was good, but small. Most likely won't order that again. Ribs are still awesome.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Unfortunately we were disappointed with The Cats, mostly due to the poor service. We had a reservation but still had to wait 20 minutes to be seated. Another family who did not have a reservation was seated before us and they walked in after we did. The front desk was very confused, probably because it's really just a computer in the corner with no actual host/hostess desk. We told 5 different people that we were there with nothing happening until I complained to a manager who then seated us immediately and comped us two orders of calamari. Our server was very nice but clueless. He got our drink order fairly quickly but then we waited a long time before he came to get our food order, then had trouble figuring out what we ordered.Special Features:
- Great barbecueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014My husband and I had the ribs with just the rub. They were perfect tabs did not need any other sauce. The cornbread was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- The Cats is tightMatie4mouthDined on 10/18/2014I went to The Cats for the first time & my birthday dinner. I requested a table close to the bar and was put upstairs. I like to be close to the bar, especially when there is a band and I am celebrating. Ding #1. There is a small kitchen upstairs that was right around the corner from out table. They dropped & broke many dishes twice. Like I'm deaf for awhile loud. In the second room upstairs there is a dinning area and a service station. Since it is a tight squeeze a customer knocked down some silver wear in there. More noise that wasn't the band. Ding #2. My glass was empty and my waiter didn't come back forever. Ding #3. Clearly I have to go somewhere else to get a buzz. I had to ask for a box and our plates to be cleared. Ding #4.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The best thing about Cats is their BBQ ribs and beans. Don't order the over-stuffed potato because it isn't. I thought the cornbread was a joke as it was exactly one inch square so we had to ask for more. I would not recommend this restaurant to anybody.Special Features:
- Our Fave!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/10/2014As usual, Cat's is the Bomb. Love, love, love the ribs and chicken wings. Great bar scene, and a nice mix of beers, wine and cocktails. We'll be back.Special Features:
- One of a kindStevenSDined on 10/10/2014Very unique place and very friendly staff. We had a great time and great food here. I was worried that when they remodeled it, it would ruin the unique rustic feel but it actually made it better, great job. We will make this a place to come to more often.Special Features:
- GreatTimeDined on 10/8/2014Great service--a bit noisy, but not overbearing--Good FoodSpecial Features:
- BBQ heaven for everyoneDisappointedDined on 10/5/2014We arrived early for our reservation and had to wait to be seated even though there were a few empty tables. They worked very hard to get us seated and were very polite. Everything we ordered was very good-hubby had chicken and ribs that came with grilled vegetables, I had Cesaer salad, baked potato and firecracker chicken wings. The salad was huge and delicious. The wings were a bit spicy and sweet and delicious. Hubby loved his ribs and took the chicken for next day lunch. We also ordered cheesy garlic bread-loved it. Service was polite and appropriately attentive. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ribs...Ever!happycamperDined on 10/5/2014The Cats is a quirky, fun neighborhood joint. Went there for my husbands B-day. The service was timely and friendly, the ribs were great and they even brought a complimentary dessert to celebrate! Don't miss the baked beans...fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Los Gatos institution for BBQlostinthewillowsDined on 10/2/2014This is a great place for BBQ the ribs are wonderful. They even had 1/2 off on the wine the evening we went. If you want ribs this is your place. Great on a cold Winter night when the smell of the wood burning for the BBQ makes it feel warm and cozy. YummySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinning experience!lovgoodfoodDined on 9/27/2014I was here ten years ago, and the place was old but nice. We decided to go back last weekend and to our surprise, the place has been renovated but kept is charm. We'll be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, pathetic serviceKkkkateyDined on 9/27/2014This was my fourth visit and the food was as expected - well prepared, delicious, and ample. The service, however, was very disappointing. We were seated and water and drinks promptly served. We ordered potato skins after being told it included 4 servings but it was actually 2 to share among 4 people. My plate included a serving of beans in a huge bowl with an iced tea spoon. The waiter promised to bring an appropriate spoon but never did and our order for a second round of drinks never arrived. The cornbread, which was listed on the menu as part of the meal, had to be requested. The band started playing half-way through our meal. The speaker positioned directly above our table was turned up so high that conversation was impossible.Special Features:
- Cats is an authentic experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 9/21/2014I had not been to Cats in over 20 years. I had great memories from going there with my older kids. I love getting there early to enjoy a beer and listen to great acoustic music before heading in for the best steaks and BBQ in town. I was worried when the restaurant closed for a few years and then re-opened. I thought they would have lost the charm it had, but I couldn't even tell anything had changed. I love this place and can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014The food was great. Would be fun for a boys night out or a girls night out meal. There is live music there, but we were too early to hear it.Special Features:
- BBQ on pointERICAB1989Dined on 9/19/2014Awesome food, awesome staff, awesome drinks. Reservations were at 8:30 and they took us early! Very accommodating. Thanks Cats Tavern!!!Special Features:
- Cute placeLacrosseDined on 9/17/2014Good BBQ for California. Nice old time feel. Would be a good day to day hang out. Good bar and music area.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Best BBQ I have had in a very long time. Sure wish I had gone there a long time ago. I have recommended the Cats to all my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great 50th celebrationCaliDined on 9/13/2014We had a wonderful experience the other night, food was great the shuttle pick up worked out perfectly, and our waiter Ono gave us outstanding service and was so much fun!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014If BBQ is what you are looking for it is great. Not fancy. The onion strings are fantastic if you are in the mood for a treat. The ribs come dry, wet or honey basted. Pulled pork is very good. They are cooked very well and no fatty. Although the host/hostesses are rather clueless, the waiters are very good. I recommend having a reservation because it can get very busy. I have only eaten in the restaurant and have not been there when music is in the bar.Special Features:
- Have Always Wanted To GorjeverettDined on 9/12/2014Everything about The Cat's was excellent. It is a lively, energetic place which adds to ambiance and makes you want to stay and enjoy yourself for as long as you can. The server was super nice, accommodating, and entertained us with bits of history about the establishment. The ribs were mouth-watering. I can't remember the last time I had ribs that good from a restaurant.Special Features:
- Partier's that are Hungry...JapanDined on 9/12/2014Plus, besides eating at "The Cats Restaurant and Tavern" which has pretty good food and good people working there, this place has live music most of the week (late into the night)! Just wish it was a larger establishment so letting you know that it's a must with getting there early enough to get a table! Reservations for dining? We did but still had a good wait but didn't mind because of getting to listen to the live music! Hope this helped!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.