The Cats Restaurant & Tavern
17533 Santa Cruz Highway
Los Gatos, CA 95033Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
The Cats Restaurant & Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecatsrestaurantandtavern.com/
- Phone: 4083544020
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: T-W 4:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Th 4:00pm-12:00am
Dinner: Sa-Su 4:00pm-12:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Barbecue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Offers private dinning for 15-70 people. Also able to accommodate buy-outs.
- Entertainment: Live music Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
A word from The Cats Restaurant & Tavern
A historical roadhouse featuring barbecued pork ribs, pork shoulder, chicken, and brisket beef smoked over hickory wood. Delicious oak wood grilled steaks, porch chops, lamb chops, and fish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Cats Restaurant & Tavern - Best Restaurants in Los Gatos ›
The Cats Restaurant & Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (59)vibrant bar scene (45)fit for foodies (35)good for groups (34)hot spot (30)kid-friendly (22)late-night find (19)special occasion (17)scenic view (6)great for lunch (6)romantic (5)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014We were very hungry, the food (THE RIBS!!!) was awesome, so do you want to know anythong else? :D Thank you very much for that great dinner :DSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Figure out how to heat up BBQ sauceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014After 30 hours of not eating due to a procedure I had, I dreamed of trying the ribs here as I hadn't been there since it re-opened. What a disappointment. We ordered and then waited and waited for our food. After some time, I saw what looked like my order sitting under the lamps. After more waiting, we were told the kids' order never printed and would need to be prepared. Meanwhile the adults' meals sat under the lamps. When we were finally served, my ribs were lukewarm and had the thinnest layer of BBQ sauce. I asked for more sauce. She said it's on the table. It was ICE COLD. I asked if she could heat it up. She said no because they didn't have a microwave. So I ate lukewarm ribs with ice cold BBQ sauce. I will NOT be going back again.Special Features:
- Cool BeansXiaoHeDined on 10/18/2014I've been here twice in thirty years -- each time, my experience was excellent. Now that I'm in the area more, I'll take more parties to Cats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- snarfoidDined on 10/18/2014The $12 cocktail was good, but small. Most likely won't order that again. Ribs are still awesome.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Unfortunately we were disappointed with The Cats, mostly due to the poor service. We had a reservation but still had to wait 20 minutes to be seated. Another family who did not have a reservation was seated before us and they walked in after we did. The front desk was very confused, probably because it's really just a computer in the corner with no actual host/hostess desk. We told 5 different people that we were there with nothing happening until I complained to a manager who then seated us immediately and comped us two orders of calamari. Our server was very nice but clueless. He got our drink order fairly quickly but then we waited a long time before he came to get our food order, then had trouble figuring out what we ordered.Special Features:
- Great barbecueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014My husband and I had the ribs with just the rub. They were perfect tabs did not need any other sauce. The cornbread was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- The Cats is tightMatie4mouthDined on 10/18/2014I went to The Cats for the first time & my birthday dinner. I requested a table close to the bar and was put upstairs. I like to be close to the bar, especially when there is a band and I am celebrating. Ding #1. There is a small kitchen upstairs that was right around the corner from out table. They dropped & broke many dishes twice. Like I'm deaf for awhile loud. In the second room upstairs there is a dinning area and a service station. Since it is a tight squeeze a customer knocked down some silver wear in there. More noise that wasn't the band. Ding #2. My glass was empty and my waiter didn't come back forever. Ding #3. Clearly I have to go somewhere else to get a buzz. I had to ask for a box and our plates to be cleared. Ding #4.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The best thing about Cats is their BBQ ribs and beans. Don't order the over-stuffed potato because it isn't. I thought the cornbread was a joke as it was exactly one inch square so we had to ask for more. I would not recommend this restaurant to anybody.Special Features:
- Our Fave!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/10/2014As usual, Cat's is the Bomb. Love, love, love the ribs and chicken wings. Great bar scene, and a nice mix of beers, wine and cocktails. We'll be back.Special Features:
- One of a kindStevenSDined on 10/10/2014Very unique place and very friendly staff. We had a great time and great food here. I was worried that when they remodeled it, it would ruin the unique rustic feel but it actually made it better, great job. We will make this a place to come to more often.Special Features:
- GreatTimeDined on 10/8/2014Great service--a bit noisy, but not overbearing--Good FoodSpecial Features:
- BBQ heaven for everyoneDisappointedDined on 10/5/2014We arrived early for our reservation and had to wait to be seated even though there were a few empty tables. They worked very hard to get us seated and were very polite. Everything we ordered was very good-hubby had chicken and ribs that came with grilled vegetables, I had Cesaer salad, baked potato and firecracker chicken wings. The salad was huge and delicious. The wings were a bit spicy and sweet and delicious. Hubby loved his ribs and took the chicken for next day lunch. We also ordered cheesy garlic bread-loved it. Service was polite and appropriately attentive. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ribs...Ever!happycamperDined on 10/5/2014The Cats is a quirky, fun neighborhood joint. Went there for my husbands B-day. The service was timely and friendly, the ribs were great and they even brought a complimentary dessert to celebrate! Don't miss the baked beans...fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Los Gatos institution for BBQlostinthewillowsDined on 10/2/2014This is a great place for BBQ the ribs are wonderful. They even had 1/2 off on the wine the evening we went. If you want ribs this is your place. Great on a cold Winter night when the smell of the wood burning for the BBQ makes it feel warm and cozy. YummySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinning experience!lovgoodfoodDined on 9/27/2014I was here ten years ago, and the place was old but nice. We decided to go back last weekend and to our surprise, the place has been renovated but kept is charm. We'll be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, pathetic serviceKkkkateyDined on 9/27/2014This was my fourth visit and the food was as expected - well prepared, delicious, and ample. The service, however, was very disappointing. We were seated and water and drinks promptly served. We ordered potato skins after being told it included 4 servings but it was actually 2 to share among 4 people. My plate included a serving of beans in a huge bowl with an iced tea spoon. The waiter promised to bring an appropriate spoon but never did and our order for a second round of drinks never arrived. The cornbread, which was listed on the menu as part of the meal, had to be requested. The band started playing half-way through our meal. The speaker positioned directly above our table was turned up so high that conversation was impossible.Special Features:
- Cats is an authentic experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 9/21/2014I had not been to Cats in over 20 years. I had great memories from going there with my older kids. I love getting there early to enjoy a beer and listen to great acoustic music before heading in for the best steaks and BBQ in town. I was worried when the restaurant closed for a few years and then re-opened. I thought they would have lost the charm it had, but I couldn't even tell anything had changed. I love this place and can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014The food was great. Would be fun for a boys night out or a girls night out meal. There is live music there, but we were too early to hear it.Special Features:
- BBQ on pointERICAB1989Dined on 9/19/2014Awesome food, awesome staff, awesome drinks. Reservations were at 8:30 and they took us early! Very accommodating. Thanks Cats Tavern!!!Special Features:
- Cute placeLacrosseDined on 9/17/2014Good BBQ for California. Nice old time feel. Would be a good day to day hang out. Good bar and music area.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Best BBQ I have had in a very long time. Sure wish I had gone there a long time ago. I have recommended the Cats to all my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great 50th celebrationCaliDined on 9/13/2014We had a wonderful experience the other night, food was great the shuttle pick up worked out perfectly, and our waiter Ono gave us outstanding service and was so much fun!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014If BBQ is what you are looking for it is great. Not fancy. The onion strings are fantastic if you are in the mood for a treat. The ribs come dry, wet or honey basted. Pulled pork is very good. They are cooked very well and no fatty. Although the host/hostesses are rather clueless, the waiters are very good. I recommend having a reservation because it can get very busy. I have only eaten in the restaurant and have not been there when music is in the bar.Special Features:
- Have Always Wanted To GorjeverettDined on 9/12/2014Everything about The Cat's was excellent. It is a lively, energetic place which adds to ambiance and makes you want to stay and enjoy yourself for as long as you can. The server was super nice, accommodating, and entertained us with bits of history about the establishment. The ribs were mouth-watering. I can't remember the last time I had ribs that good from a restaurant.Special Features:
- Partier's that are Hungry...JapanDined on 9/12/2014Plus, besides eating at "The Cats Restaurant and Tavern" which has pretty good food and good people working there, this place has live music most of the week (late into the night)! Just wish it was a larger establishment so letting you know that it's a must with getting there early enough to get a table! Reservations for dining? We did but still had a good wait but didn't mind because of getting to listen to the live music! Hope this helped!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!TastyDined on 9/7/2014The only thing I would change is I would make sure the cornbread is and the BBQ requested on the side is hot! Otherwise you guys did a good job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best kept secretgarth66Dined on 9/6/2014I've seen The Cat's for years when driving over the hill to Santa Cruz and was curious, but finally visited for dinner. The Cat's greatly exceeded my expectations. We visited again and found our second visit consistent with the first. The food is FANTASTIC, and the servers were very friendly and helpful. The ribs with the honey sauce were amazing. And the smokey baked beans, sauteed mushrooms, and onion strings were all excellent and highly recommended. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- letseatoutDined on 9/6/2014Our Anniversary dinner, ordered drinks in the bar before dinner, guess the server didn't want to deal with drink only tables, she left them sitting on the bar we had to pick them up ourself and she got 2 beers and shot of Crown WRONG, she never came back to our table. Manager wound up comping our drinks and several other tables around us. Dinner table was way too small for two dinner plates, about the size of a night stand, chicken was not done manager said it should be pink. Not my chicken. Won't recommend and won't go back!! On a scale of 1 to 5, this place gets a 2. Waiter was good and attentive.
- Awesome PlaceFirstimersDined on 9/6/2014This has become our favorite STEAKHOUSE. The meats have the best smoked flavor anywhere. We have been back almost every week just for the MEAT.... The beer and drinks are good, too..Special Features:
- Great BBQAitiDined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed the food and service. Recommend the combo plate. Will return in the near future.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2014Very good food, great service. Hard to get back to the Valley, so probably only a yearly event.Special Features:
- BearPawDined on 8/31/2014Food was very good. Service very poor. We went unnoticed once seated. The waiter who was serving us was having a difficult time. He dropped a full tray of food down the stairs and then later when serving us he dropped a bean dish on the table bathing my wife and the gentleman behind her in liquid. Though the food was excellent the noise level and service make this experience a poor one at best.Special Features:
- Yum!snarfoidDined on 8/31/2014Wow, best BBQ I think I've ever had. Most "meat" places have no idea what to do with anything besides meat. But here the grilled veggies were good, the coleslaw excellent, garlic bread good and smoky, cornbread tasty. And the ribs..... AWESOME.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All abouteatwords4uDined on 8/31/2014Food is excellent..Service poor to say the least....Reservations seems like they do not look at them till you get there. As a result it either goes smoothly or it is like you didn't make a reservation. Never get Open Table points for making reservations here...Special Features:
- great food bad servicegreatfoodDined on 8/30/2014We had early reservations and was seated immediately. great BBQ menu to choose from things looked great. Our waiter was very personable but had other tables he was busy with as a result we had to wait a extremely long time for our appetizer then a long time for our dinner. we were very disappointed with the service but extremely pleased with the food.Special Features:
- Always Fun and Awesome SteakswolterclanDined on 8/29/2014One of my favorites with friends. Quiet enough to talk, but noise is welcome. Mouthwatering steaks and BBQ, and awesome drinks. Try their bourbon specialty drinks- outstanding! Great live music option that draws a fun crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimersFirstimersDined on 8/24/2014We had a reservation but, the hostess didn't know what to do with us. We sat near the kitchen but, it was too hot near it. So, we moved to the bar area. The food was prepared just right. The local craft beer was excellent and the cocktails were great, also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurprisePotatoGuyDined on 8/23/2014Our party of four were drawn to Cats by Groupon. We were all pleased with our dinners and will be happy to return. The staff were very welcoming and our waiter was particularly friendly and helpful. My baked potato was superb, matching any I've ever had. I would go back just for another baked potato.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Cats RestaurantAllisonDined on 8/23/2014An old staple of Los Gatos. If you haven't been or it has been awhile, I highly recommend giving it a try. I got there early, 6pm (an hour or so later, it was packed), and was seated right away. Service was great. Waiter always made sure to check on me often enough but not too often to be annoying. Had the rib eye steak, medium rare and baked potato both were excellent. Barely could finish it all but did. Washed it all down with Angry Orchard Cider. Finally, ciders are starting to show up in restaurants, slowly but surly. They are a nice option to beer and wine with a lower % alcohol. Next visit, I'm trying the pulled pork which other guests had and it looked delicious. They also have live music in the bar. Check them out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kat711Dined on 8/20/2014We're never disappointed with the Cats, whether it's for dinner, or just music and cocktails. My dinner was delicious, and we closed the night out at the bar listening to great music. Glad it's so close to home.Special Features: